Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/27/2017 8:13:03 AM EDT
I want to put some cameras up around my house, at least 4 and was wondering what arfcom suggests.   I'm looking at Arlo Pro right now but honestly have only just started looking.   I want something that is wireless, I also want to be able to check camera feeds from my phone or work computer as well as receive updates if motion is detected.  

This is what I'm reading about right now
http://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/default.aspx

Does anyone have these cameras?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:15:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Where you really want to ask: Safes & Home Security Board
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#2]
No, but I just got my Amcrest security cameras and NVR, and I'm really impressed with their quality. The software, hardware, setup, it all exceeds expectations. Glad I chose 720P for wireless since it uses less bandwidth.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#3]
The blink xt is what you seek, from my 40 + bours of internet study.. lol
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where you really want to ask: Safes & Home Security Board
View Quote
shit I completely forgot we had that subforum
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I really like the arlo pro.   Easy set up, decent quality, 7 days free storage.  I'm two months into a factory charged set of battery's at 80%.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a 2 cam Arlo setup.  

Outside of constant software updates and random detection problems, I'm happy.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a 2 cam Arlo setup.  

Outside of constant software updates and random detection problems, I'm happy.
View Quote
I've read that motion detect recording often has a delay and that oncoming motion may not trigger them. True?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw the Arlo Pro too, at Costco, and read some good and mediorcre stuff about hem. Wonder if there isn't any direct experience too. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm very pleased with my arlo pro cameras.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No, but I just got my Amcrest security cameras and NVR, and I'm really impressed with their quality. The software, hardware, setup, it all exceeds expectations. Glad I chose 720P for wireless since it uses less bandwidth.
View Quote
For the money, I think the Amcrest stuff is great. I just got the 3 megapixel one. Foscam sends out Amazon coupons for them all the time. If it works decent over the next month then I'll be adding a couple more. Cloud+SD Card+NAS+email means there will be 1296p locally, 1089p on the cloud and phone notification immediately.
Quality is far from a high quality system, but for $99 it's hard to beat.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Reolink.  Saw this on Arfcom.  Got one.  Excellent.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I wish they would come out with a solar panel to deal with battery issues and a damn door bell camera like ring!   Their cameras and system seem to be better than the Ring Stick Up cameras, but I want a couple system with the door bell camera too.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't have one myself, but have reviewed the video from one last week.  Very good quality video in the dark, that allowed me to solve a commercial burglary in about ten minutes after getting to the scene.

Of course, it also helps when the offender on the video is a well known crack head, who has been to prison three times in the past for burglaries and thefts.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:37:00 AM EDT
[#14]
i have four of the Arlo Pro cameras and have mixed feelings about them.

Pros:
truly wireless.  No power cable or network cable needed
Small cameras that can be placed anywhere
Easy to mount with magnetic wall mounts
Very easy to set up 
Mobile app is user-friendly and gives access to the whole system
Multiple custom recording modes 

Cons:
Picture quality even on highest setting is not that great
Does not record while live viewing.  
if used indoors, battery life lasts about a week
Extra batteries are costly ($50)
limited field for motion detection

In my opinion, you trade off some important features due to the convenience of the system being truly wireless.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the battery powered Arlo system. My attic is extremely hard to navigate, so that's why I didn't go with a hard wired system. Pretty good overall. Clear video, easy setup. Sometimes random videos are taken which is annoying.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Pros:
Very easy to set up 

Cons:

In my opinion, you trade off some important features due to the convenience of the system being truly wireless.  
View Quote
Press the record button while live streaming.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup...you might get a reply next week or so.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#18]
For those with the Arlo system here is a great place to purchase the CR123 in bulk. Battery Station CR123 I've purchased from them many times. Battery is USA made in the same factory as many other name brands.

You can also look into rechargeable CR123, but their mAH capacity is terrible compared to a primary lithium CR123.

My girlfriend has 8 or so of these cameras, we like them quite a lot. I'd personally prefer a way to store data locally, or where ever I want, instead of the cloud based offering.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Bought two of the Arlo units a few months ago. Mainly for when we're away from home. One outdoor, one indoor. They are only on when we're not at home, batteries are still 75% or better. Motion detection outside is good, it always triggers when we walk onto the porch. The inside camera, however, will not trigger via our cats. It picks us up, but not the cats.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't have the Pro, but my "regular" Arlo cam is very good. I have mine set at the mid-range quality setting, and it's more than good enough (720p, I think) to identify people's faces even at 20 feet. IR "night vision" is a little limited, but still pretty darn good.I have mine set up to send me a notification whenever it detects motion, and it works well.

My batteries lasted over 6 months the first time, and you can get good batteries (Panasonic) for a little over a dollar apiece at Walmart online.

I'm very pleased with it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I've run a 4 camera Arlo system for 2 years and I'm very happy with it. I just upgraded one of my cameras to the pro and it works very well.I will post a sample video[.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/920C18AC1B23D980_201706
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Pros:
Very easy to set up 

Cons:

View Quote
thank you for this.   I suspect I will have to compromise on something regardless of what system I buy.  

Does anyone have video of the quality you get?  is it 1080p?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

thank you for this.   I suspect I will have to compromise on something regardless of what system I buy.  

Does anyone have video of the quality you get?  is it 1080p?
View Quote
Click the link in my post above and  you'll see a sample video taken from my Pro camera.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've run a 4 camera Arlo system for 2 years and I'm very happy with it. I just upgraded one of my cameras to the pro and it works very well.I will post a sample video[.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/920C18AC1B23D980_201706
View Quote
What that setting on highest quality?    I have to say I'm not that impressed, couldn't even make out one number on that license plate.   I don't need crystal clear 8k video, but I would like something that looks better than a 80s home video.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:51:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Reolink is arfcom approved!

very happy with them. 

Eta. After reading some of the responses here it is far superior to the Arlo. 

Not sure of price of arlo but you 4 HIGH quality cameras and nvr for around $500. Well worth the price. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Another +1 for the Arlo Pro.

Ease of setup, completely wireless (I had a (older) wired camera system previously and it was a PITA to install), good battery life, and the app is decent.  The 2-way audio is nice.  We've had it for a few weeks now.

Image/video quality is good enough.  I turn off the motion detection when we're home.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:57:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
I also went with this after tons or research, mine will be delivered today and installed this weekend!  Hope it's as good as everyone says!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Another +1 for the Arlo Pro.

Ease of setup, completely wireless (I had a (older) wired camera system previously and it was a PITA to install), good battery life, and the app is decent.  The 2-way audio is nice.  We've had it for a few weeks now.

Image/video quality is good enough.  I turn off the motion detection when we're home.
View Quote
You need look at state laws on audio recording. 

reolink came with a warning about hooking the mic up. PA is a 2 party consent state. This only applies to Audio. Not video. So if your security footage is needed in court it would be instantly tossed out if it included audio. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#29]
What?

You just trying to keep people from littering on Thanksgiving?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What that setting on highest quality?    I have to say I'm not that impressed, couldn't even make out one number on that license plate.   I don't need crystal clear 8k video, but I would like something that looks better than a 80s home video.
View Quote
That's not the highest quality. It's an optimize setting for longest battery life. I'll Crank It Up to highest quality and try to post another video when I can
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#31]
I'll be the odd man out regarding Arlo.  Mine is hit or miss after three months usage. I would absolutely not trust it as a serious security camera.

As others have mentioned, it records on a hit or miss basis.

It often, in my experience, misses events entirely...and I'm referring to cars and trucks pulling in the driveway where it is mounted.
It is also slow to begin recording.
I know the system thoroughly, and how it is supposed to be set up. That knowledge has come from having to deal with its many shortcomings for so long. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#32]
My system uses Hikvision cameras connected to a dedicated PC running Blue Iris software.  It has all the functionality you're looking for, but my cameras aren't wireless.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or instead of answering your question, be told to sift through the numerous multi-page tacked threads. 
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:54:09 AM EDT
[#34]
I've been thinking about truly wireless - ie runs on batteries!!

https://blinkforhome.com/
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I have Arlo.  I only got it a week ago, but I like it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#36]
another vote for Arlo. I love my system.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about truly wireless - ie runs on batteries!!

https://blinkforhome.com/
View Quote
Arlo runs on batteries.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I've read that motion detect recording often has a delay and that oncoming motion may not trigger them. True?
View Quote
That was the case with my regular Arlo cams which is why I sold them. I did not have the Pro version though so it may be different. IMO the original Arlos were junk and their only selling points were being wireless (of course it takes four of the most expensive batteries you can buy) and free video storage. I'd get a lot of alerts where whatever triggered it had moved out of sight before the cam kicked on and started recording. I haveDrop/Nest cams now and while you have to pay for video hosting and run power to them they are far better and faster to connect since they are always on.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I wish they would come out with a solar panel to deal with battery issues and a damn door bell camera like ring!   Their cameras and system seem to be better than the Ring Stick Up cameras, but I want a couple system with the door bell camera too.
View Quote
My Ring works well enough for what it is. I use it to tell the UPS guy to take the package to the neighbor.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have the battery powered Arlo system. My attic is extremely hard to navigate, so that's why I didn't go with a hard wired system. Pretty good overall. Clear video, easy setup. Sometimes random videos are taken which is annoying.
View Quote
I found most of the random videos my Arlo took were caused by insects flying in front of or landing on them. A bunch of damn wasps building a nest in the eve over my garage drained my batteries in two days before I figured out what was going on.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Reolink is arfcom approved!

very happy with them. 

Eta. After reading some of the responses here it is far superior to the Arlo. 

Not sure of price of arlo but you 4 HIGH quality cameras and nvr for around $500. Well worth the price. 
View Quote
Those look really nice, just not sure if I want to try and run ethernet all over the place.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I also went with this after tons or research, mine will be delivered today and installed this weekend!  Hope it's as good as everyone says!
View Quote
I'd like to hear how the installation goes for you
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'd like to hear how the installation goes for you
View Quote
I will come back and let you know in a few days, this is my project for the long holiday weekend.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:51:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Here's a clip from my (non-Pro) Arlo showing my old white-haired ass walking out of the garage and waving. Not 4K or anything , but plenty good enough for security IMO.

Arlo

EDIT: I forgot to say this is the highest-quality setting.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Four camera Arlo Pro here.
Works as advertised for me.
Had to recharge batteries after six months, all cameras are inside.
Geo-fencing option turns the system from unarmed to armed and back to unarmed as you come and go.
Easy set-up.
Good to go.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I love my Reolink system. Rock solid reliable.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I might see if costco has the arlo, I'll try it out and see if I like it.    Costcos return policy is pretty damn good so if I'm not happy I can return it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#48]
I got the Night Owl system from Costco, with 4 cameras. I also added a PTZ camera to the system.

1080p and IR at night. I will have to say I am impressed. Two months now, and not a single problem. Even the PC program and the Android apps have worked flawlessly!

Only issue is that here in S Ga in the summer, the bugs will keep setting off the motion at night since they are attracted to the IR light, but that would be an issue on any system. Yes, you can turn down sensitivity, but then you would not get motion recording when you really needed it.

The HDD is big enough that it really does not matter. After 2 months, even with the bug problem, the HDD is only 20% used.

Wiring Hint: Use these to run cat 6 cable instead of the bulky cables!
Baluns
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I love my Reolink system. Rock solid reliable.
View Quote
if the arlo doesn't work for me I'll suck it up and run cabling so I can set up the Reolink.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Check out the Nest Outdoor cameras.  You do have to find a place to hide the power cord and be close enough to your WiFi.

The network storage pricing plan is:
10-day video history
$10 a month or $100 a year for your first camera per home.
$5 a month ($50 a year) for each additional camera

30-day video history
$30 a month or $300 a year for your first camera per home.
$15 a month ($150 a year) for each additional camera.

You can access your camera and save video clips from anywhere you have internet access. It has come in handy for us whenever we have people come up to the house that we don't know.  We can make a clip and save it for future use.

Here is Mr UPS Man at night time:

Here is some asswipe walking through my bushes:
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top