Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:51:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good. Maybe they Self-Deported, and screw the owner for employing illegals.
View Quote
The employer knowing broke the law by hiring them he/she should be in jail and getting fined out the wazoo!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
BALTIMORE (WJZ) — The owner of one of Canton’s most popular waterfront restaurants, The Boathouse, says more than 30 immigrant workers left in fear after a Department of Homeland Security worker hand-delivered a letter demanding documentation of their immigration status.

That stunned the eatery’s customers.

“It seems like terrorizing people who are trying to work at the restaurant,” says customer Michelle Zhang. “It’s not only bad for for the business but it’s bad for the families.”

“If that many left… are they not following the policy?” asks Ryan Horan, another customer. “Are they not doing it the way they should be doing it?”

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/06/26/the-boathouse-immigration/
View Quote
Owner of the establishment should be heavily fined for hiring illegals.

They can be immigrant and legal and work at the restaurant but they cannot break our laws to get here.

This is all for the better in the long run.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
BALTIMORE (WJZ) — The owner of one of Canton’s most popular waterfront restaurants, The Boathouse, says more than 30 immigrant workers left in fear after a Department of Homeland Security worker hand-delivered a letter demanding documentation of their immigration status.

“It seems like terrorizing people who are trying to work at the restaurant,” says customer Michelle Zhang. “It’s not only bad for for the business but it’s bad for the families.”

“If that many left… are they not following the policy?” asks Ryan Horan, another customer. “Are they not doing it the way they should be doing it?”

View Quote

They should arrest the owner and manager for hiring them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
LOL, they see the writing on the wall. Good riddance.....
View Quote
Good choice of words.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#5]
good

GTFO
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:16:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a good opportunity for competing restaurants to get themselves some fake DHS badges and fake letters!

Let the psyops marketing begin!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#7]
They may have left that place but they will head for other places with less heat
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:17:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is a restaurant owner supposed to know if they are illegal based on how bad their english is?
View Quote
Maybe not but its a heck of a red flag.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"Terrorizing people".

OMG triggered.

Enforcing immigration law is not unjust. Stop pretending differently.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:25:32 AM EDT
[#11]
They did the business owner and favor. Now he doesn't risk fines for employing illegals
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#12]
LOL.....Welcome to the poultry processing industry. I've seen them lose 75% of their floor workers over night.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's often very difficult for a business owner to know if he is hiring an illegal. Business owners usually spend every last waking moment on making their business successful without becoming a trained investigator in false documents for every transient employee who comes through the door.  
They are told to hire legals, they make sure the paperwork is what it should be, then they are told they should be fined for hiring people with the(what seems to be) right paperwork.
I seriously doubt restaurant owners are finding employees by picking them up in front of Home Depot in a crew cab pickup truck.

Is a restaurant owner supposed to know if they are illegal based on how bad their english is?
View Quote
I'll just jump on the bandwagon here, e-verify - it's widely advertised and easy to use.  No excuse for hiring illegals other than avoiding paperwork and taxes.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:28:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Meh 30 down, 15+ million to go...
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

E-Verify, Its not that hard.
View Quote
Only problem with that is that it isn't always accurate.  After we had it fail two employees in a row that were born in the US, our lawyer said it wasn't that uncommon since Immigration admits to mistakenly denying about 13,000 people each year.  That's what they admit to that are challenged, Immigration proven wrong, and are successfully overturned.  The real number must be much higher.  If you're a gun owner, then you probably know about some of the horrors of NICS.z
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Probably a lot less chance of E Coli contaminated food now.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Employers are required to collect paperwork and credentials, not guarantee authenticity.
I was told by a former roofing manager who knowingly hired illegals that they all have papers to work, and often assume the identity of a dead person. A hispanic guy named Ralph may quit one day, and a few years later reapply as Margret.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:36:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
LOL, they see the writing on the wall. Good riddance.....
View Quote
there's a wall?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I bet this will hit certain sevice inustries pretty hard.
I was more concerned about he H1B cheating.  
Short of cutting the unemloyed low skill Americans off it will be difficult to coax them into restaurant or service jobs, let alone construction.  Like the Euros they see that work as beneath them.
Maybe facebook boy will pay them to set on the couch.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:38:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Think of all the new job opportunities for Baltimore's natives.
View Quote
Ya fucking right. Baltimore....HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#21]
i'm not tired of winning
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:52:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Funny the headline didn't read, "ICE action leads to immediate job openings for unemployed Americans!"
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#23]
I wonder how many of them had Undocumented Contagious Diseases.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The business owner is every bit as guilty for hiring them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's bad for our nation. So fuck you. Go home.
Agree... I hope the dept of labor pours over his HR files... dude should be fined out of existence
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Fuck 'em.

30... Sounds like a pattern. As much as I despise the criminals in the IRS, they need to look into his books.

The owner is responsible and IMO worthy of jail time.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:15:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Here's a novel idea...go down to the local unemployment office and hire a bunch of people looking for jobs...if you can actually find anyone at the unemployment office actually looking for work.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:17:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

What are the odds she's an illegal too?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's not bad for our nation if they are working.  Immigrants who come here and work are a net gain for the country.  With that said I still agree with your conclusion as we shouldn't tolerate law breakers.  I want legal immigrants who are vetted and share our values, not illegal immigrants of dubious origin.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:23:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If he had maybe one or two, but 30?  30 illegals is a pattern that can not be ignored.
View Quote
Well, technically we don't know their status.  They could have been legal immigrants who are just scared of being deported(highly unlikely).

Maybe I missed it, but is the restaurant still open after losing 30 employees?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#30]
What a crappy report. Based on the information in the article it sounds like ICE Worksite Enforcement Unit served a notice to inspect the business' I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification forms (a routine procedure) to verify that the employer is in compliance with federal law regarding the employment of workers. The business owner may or may not be correct in that he is in compliance with those federal laws. As long as the employer properly completed the I-9 forms as required by law, he is in compliance with the law. However, that may not be enough to prevent illegal or out of status aliens from engaging in unauthorized employment by the very fact that congress left huge gaping loopholes in the I-9 process that allows employers to be in compliance and still hire unauthorized/illegal workers. Many illegal or unauthorized aliens purchase counterfeit social security cards and get state issued Driver's licenses or state issued ID cards which, together allow an illegal or unauthorized alien to complete the I-9 form. Although the alien commits perjury on the I-9 form when he completes it.

The fact that so many employees fled before the I-9 form inspection (not even a raid was conducted) indicates that they are either illegal or out of status or legal aliens not authorized to work. The I-9 inspection allows ICE/HSI agents to inspect the I-9 forms for violations by the employer (such as improperly completing the form or failing to complete the important parts of the form) or to verify the status claimed by the employee when he/she completed the I-9 form.

The news report was ridiculous. The provided link was only a link to a letter from the employer. I was expecting a link to a copy of the ICE/HSI notice letter. In any event, these ICE/HSI I-9 form inspections are not unusual or the sign of any increased enforcement. They are routine and conducted on a regular basis by an ICE/HSI unit that does nothing but investigate employers and businesses.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's not bad for our nation if they are working.  Immigrants who come here and work are a net gain for the country.  With that said I still agree with your conclusion as we shouldn't tolerate law breakers.  I want legal immigrants who are vetted and share our values, not illegal immigrants of dubious origin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heratige disagrees.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#32]
How did they let this little tid-bit slip through?

Singleton declined to speak on camera, but one first generation Mexican-American customer, Roman, says he sees no problem with immigration officials checking the status of workers.

“We’ve just got to make sure that everybody is playing by the same rules,” he says.

The legal Mexican has no problem with ICE checking illegal ones!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good. Now go after the owner for employing them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not necessarily. Not if he didn't know that they were not authorized to work. That's the purpose of the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form that the employer is required by federal law to complete on all prospective employees. Unfortunately, the way the I-9 form was designed, it was designed by congress to fail. The employer is prohibited from asking the prospective employee for any documentation. The prospective employee has the right to provide whatever documents that he/she (prospective employee) wants to show the employer as long as those documents are listed on the I-9 form.

Example, the prospective employee marks the I-9 form indicating that the employee is a Resident Alien (for those ignorant people they are commonly referred to as green card holders) and writes done his card number. The employer is prohibited from asking to see that Resident Alien card (DHS form I-551 or  so-called green card) and the alien (yes, he is an alien because all legal green card holders are aliens) doesn't have to show it to him. The alien can now show the employer a state issued ID or a state issued Driver's license and a social security card (which many aliens purchase counterfeit cards for this very purpose) and the alien is legally authorized to work, at least in the eyes and legal responsibilities of the employer.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't see where it says the employer was arrested, charged and had his business siezed for racketeering and labor violations.
View Quote
Of course not, but if we want to see change it needs to start happening.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yep.

We need to create a kind of "OSHA" to conduct snap inspections (like OSHA) for illegals, with the same extremely punitive fines levied for each violation.
View Quote
What do you think this news report was reporting? ICE/HSI has a unit that is assigned the inspections and investigations of employers. That's what was happening here. Unfortunately, federal law precludes ICE/HSI from conducting inspections of the I-9 forms and related paperwork until a Notice of Inspection has been served on the business owner 3 business days in advance of the inspection. That's the law. ICE/HSI HQ has very strict guidelines restricting ICE/HSI agents going to businesses to inspect the employees. Snap inspections as you wrote about were severely restricted almost two decades ago by then I&NS HQ.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Baltimore people are about to learn they have not been paying the true price of that food.

If the employer is not sure if the people are legal, he/she/it should take steps to figure that out.

I know in some cases stolen identities and what not get used and taxes taken out, so it is not all just cash.  Talk about fun with the irs.

Since employer admits to hiring these people, at the very least make sure all required paperwork is there.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#38]
If ICE cracked down on the two large national homebuilders here in middle Tennessee,(whose names start with R and D), there wouldn't be a single new home built around here. My job would be considerably easier, since they wouldn't be clogging up the streets with their 20yr old Hondas.

The way the builders coddle them infuriates me; if they cause a problem with a delivery, it's automatically the fault of the vendor/driver, not 'Jose, the semi-literate Central American bricklayer".
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What a crappy report. Based on the information in the article it sounds like ICE Worksite Enforcement Unit served a notice to inspect the business' I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification forms (a routine procedure) to verify that the employer is in compliance with federal law regarding the employment of workers. The business owner may or may not be correct in that he is in compliance with those federal laws. As long as the employer properly completed the I-9 forms as required by law, he is in compliance with the law. However, that may not be enough to prevent illegal or out of status aliens from engaging in unauthorized employment by the very fact that congress left huge gaping loopholes in the I-9 process that allows employers to be in compliance and still hire unauthorized/illegal workers. Many illegal or unauthorized aliens purchase counterfeit social security cards and get state issued Driver's licenses or state issued ID cards which, together allow and illegal or unauthorized alien to complete the I-9 form. Although the alien commits perjury on the I-9 form when he completes it.

The fact that so many employees fled before the I-9 form inspection (not even a raid was conducted) indicates that they are either illegal or out of status or legal aliens not authorized to work. The I-9 inspection allows ICE/HSI agents to inspect the I-9 forms for violations by the employer (such as improperly completing the form or failing to complete tthe important parts of the form) or to verify the status claimed by the employee when he/she completed the I-9 form.

The news report was ridiculous. The provided link was only a link to a letter from the employer. I was expecting a link to a copy of the ICE/HSI notice letter. In any event, these ICE/HSI I-9 form inspections are not unusual or the sign of any increased enforcement. They are routine and conducted on a regular basis by an ICE/HSI unit that does nothing but investigate employers and businesses.
View Quote
Handy trick if you suspect an illegal is trying to furnish a forged SSN, ask them what state they were born or naturalized in.  If the SSN starts with a 1 and they say Arizona 5 and New York, I got news for you.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This.

Want to fix illegal immigration? It's easy. Just fine businesses that hire them $10,000 for the first one, $20,000 for the second, $40,000 for the third one, $80,000 for the fourth and so on. It would be fixed in a month. Very few businesses don't have a clue the person they are hiring might not be exactly legal to hire. Not hard to vet either, most are just trying to game the system and hire someone that'll work for less then legal employees would. Any cost that can be passed onto the American people is happily accepted by them and is just more $$ in their pockets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

Want to fix illegal immigration? It's easy. Just fine businesses that hire them $10,000 for the first one, $20,000 for the second, $40,000 for the third one, $80,000 for the fourth and so on. It would be fixed in a month. Very few businesses don't have a clue the person they are hiring might not be exactly legal to hire. Not hard to vet either, most are just trying to game the system and hire someone that'll work for less then legal employees would. Any cost that can be passed onto the American people is happily accepted by them and is just more $$ in their pockets.
There already are fines for employers who "knowingly" hire illegal or unauthorized employees. But, the fines are nowhere near as high as yours and fines are strictly controlled by ICE attorneys (OPLA) and difficult to get them to agree to signoff on fines, unless the offenses are large and egregious. Catch a small business owner like a convenience store/gas station where the owner employs 4 aliens from Pakistan or Nepal and he knows they are not authorized to work because he never completed any I-9 forms or even tax forms on any of them and the attorneys will not signoff on any fines because the business is too small to consider going after.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don't see where it says the employer was arrested, charged and had his business siezed for racketeering and labor violations.
View Quote
This here.

When we start punishing the enablers that assist them in their stay, we will have dealt a blow to their ability to sustain here.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Foreign  Criminals aren't allowed citizenship
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are they trying to become citizens?
Foreign  Criminals aren't allowed citizenship
If they marry a US citizen, then I'd say you're wrong. Seen it many, many times before. Citizenship & Immigration Services will approve a petition (for Resident Alien status) by such alien married to a US citizen in  a heartbeat. Unless, the alien falsely indicated on his I-9 form that he is a US citizen. That's about it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Not to mention the fact that businesses are suppose to verify citizenship prior to hiring.

But sure paint themselves as a victim rather than someone who knew they were breaking the law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's  not terrorizing when law enforcement is looking for law breakers.
Not to mention the fact that businesses are suppose to verify citizenship prior to hiring.

But sure paint themselves as a victim rather than someone who knew they were breaking the law.
No, you're wrong. The employer is not supposed to verify citizenship. Hell, there are many aliens that are authorized to work. Such as Resident Aliens (commonly referred to as green card holders) and F1 students under CPT or OPT training programs or HB1 aliens, or many other classes of nonimmigrant temporary workers. The employer is only required to ensure that the I-9 Employment Verification form was properly completed. The I-9 form was designed with loopholes by congress to allow unauthorized aliens to beat the form and gain unauthorized employment. As long as the prospective employee provides the employer with forms that fit the I-9 forms then he can go to work. Many aliens provide counterfeit social security cards and state issued ID cards and Voila! The employer is covered legally for hiring them unless it can be proven -in court- that the employer knew the person was not legally authorized to work.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Prosecute them.  If they were just "immigrants" here legally they had nothing to fear.  I hate how the MSM twists things.

MAGA
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's often very difficult for a business owner to know if he is hiring an illegal. Business owners usually spend every last waking moment on making their business successful without becoming a trained investigator in false documents for every transient employee who comes through the door.  
They are told to hire legals, they make sure the paperwork is what it should be, then they are told they should be fined for hiring people with the(what seems to be) right paperwork.
I seriously doubt restaurant owners are finding employees by picking them up in front of Home Depot in a crew cab pickup truck.

This.  And I'm a small business owner.  It's also the law.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Nonsense; they know.

ETA: I have family in the restaurant business and they hire citizens or legal green card holders only, because that's who they want working for them rather than illegals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nonsense; they know.

ETA: I have family in the restaurant business and they hire citizens or legal green card holders only, because that's who they want working for them rather than illegals.
Then they would be in violation of federal anti-discrimination laws and subject to lawsuits. If a legal nonimmigrant (such as a F1 with CPT or OPT or an H1B or any number of other aliens authorized to work who are not US citizens or green card holders) who is authorized employment is turned down for employment by that employer because "they hire citizens or legal green card holders only" they can be in for legal trouble and fines.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sounds like a good opportunity for competing restaurants to get themselves some fake DHS badges and fake letters!

Let the psyops marketing begin!
View Quote
Yeah, great idea there, Einstein.

"18 U.S. Code § 912 - Officer or employee of the United States
Whoever falsely assumes or pretends to be an officer or employee acting under the authority of the United States or any department, agency or officer thereof, and acts as such, or in such pretended character demands or obtains any money, paper, document, or thing of value, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both."

The DHS/ICE/HSI Notice of Inspection is a "paper, document" as specified in the charge above.

Link
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Winning
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They did the business owner and favor. Now he doesn't risk fines for employing illegals
View Quote
Depending on how the I-9 form inspection goes, he might or might not. With 30 unauthorized/illegal aliens employed and whether or not he properly completed the I-9 forms he might be in for a hefty fine. Especially if he has former employees in the last 3 years that number of unauthorized/illegal alien employees may just sky rocket and he may be looking and a huge number of fines. There are I-9 form paperwork violations that are fined at $100 per each improperly/incomplete I-9 form. That would be at least $3,000 for these 30 employees and that may be compounded by the other, former employees if he has a high turnover rate.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top