Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2017 7:12:59 PM EDT
I have learned rather quickly how to deal with moving trailers under the high tension lines in our lot.  Do not touch both units at once unless they are connected to one another.  And DO NOT stand in the wet mud or puddles when touching anything metal on the trailer or truck.  

Things get shocking rather quickly.  I'm talking a lot of voltage with what seems to be very little amperage.  Depending on weather conditions and how well grounded I am,  I think I have had less of a jolt from touching camera flash tube leads.  

This is from today.  Truck and trailer are separated and the release cable is just resting on the truck creating an inconsistent ground path.  Listen to it sing!

Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Need to find a way to harness that.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Get some coils going baby
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
A smart man did that, got sued for theft of services and he lost.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Half of a transformer would have some pretty good output.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#5]
What you're experiencing sounds like capacitive coupling between the truck and the power line. Basically, the power line acts like one plate of a capacitor, and the truck acts like the other plate. When the two "plates" are close enough together, any charge present on one plate also induces a charge on the other one - and when you touch the truck, some of that charge bleeds off through your body to ground.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:13:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Try some grounding chains on the trailers and the trucks.
It may bleed off the residual voltage.
Will need to replace when it gets ground away by driving..
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a 4' florescent bulb and go under the power lines at night.  Hold the bulb straight up and see it light up.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Take a 4' florescent bulb and go under the power lines at night.  Hold the bulb straight up and see it light up.
View Quote
I have considered just that.  

Among other things.  

I would be curious to see what a multi tester will show for voltage.  I know there is a lot.

I also wonder if lights and appliances will come on in the units if tried.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top