BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

None of it is consensual - at least not that they admit to...
View Quote
My cousin wife always says it's ok if I bring more pbr
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The roads are shit
View Quote
Of all my travels for work, Columbia and the interstate  was the only time I ever got a flat tire on a rental car.... not once.... but twice....

Nice airport to fly into.. and I only stayed in Columbia a few times.... on the outskirts of town....
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#3]
It's hotter in Florida to me than it is in SC.

And how in the HELL has no one talked about how culturally vibrant Columbia is.

Overall though it's not bad, you have PSA and everything nice is only a couple hours away.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Need to find regulations to a stripped lower in checked luggage. Will have to swing by PSA when I fly to SC for son's graduation from Ft Jackson.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Columbia shares a characteristic with the entire state of South Carolina. That would be that it sucks.

Other than the coast, SC is useless.
View Quote
I kinda liked the Piedmont. Nice country up there.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Columbia is a shit hole.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Well I actually lived in Cola . S.C. .    As said it's hot in the summer .  Very hot .  And for me it was cold as hell in the winter .  Poor roads but that's just S.C. in general .  Traffic is as bad as Atlanta's .   During football season home games pretty much shut the area down .  

Like everywhere else it has it's good points and not so good points .    Best part I liked is that I lived across the river from the zoo .  Could listen to the lions  roaring for hours .  And the darn monkeys .

gd
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wish. I tried that. It's a no go. I need to be stateside to meet some company travel goal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife's aunt and uncle retired down there.  They liked it at first but the heat finally drove them back to New England.  You can dress for the cold up here, but you can only undress so far for the heat before they arrest you.

Skip South Carolina and go directly to South Korea.  Use your extra salary for nice trips to places with temperate (45° -> 75°) weather.
I wish. I tried that. It's a no go. I need to be stateside to meet some company travel goal.
My in-laws would go down there for my M-I-L to visit her brother.  They'd rent a house on Lake Murray.  Maybe it would be tolerable if you could live on a lake and jump in every night.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't help you.

The only time I see Columbia is when I'm driving through on my way to the mountains, then on the way back to the coast...A couple of times I've stopped to take a quick dump there. Fitting.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weird laws? You mean, like, no butt-stuff?
He is from KY so yup there is Butt sex
Hell...I'd rather listen to a young boy fart than a purdy girl sing.      
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Need to find regulations to a stripped lower in checked luggage. Will have to swing by PSA when I fly to SC for son's graduation from Ft Jackson.
View Quote
Unless you plan on buying a lower on armslist while you're here you won't be taking a store-bought PSA lower with you... unless you have a SC driver license. You can, however, buy it here and they will gladly ship it to an FFL in your home state.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And did anyone mention that it's hot?

Also, it's in the top 25 cities for allergy issues.  

Welcome!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The roads are shit
And did anyone mention that it's hot?

Also, it's in the top 25 cities for allergy issues.  

Welcome!
This. I have a short video on my old iphone from the parking lot of Abblebees on Harbison looking back down toward Piney Grove Rd in the spring when the pollen was real bad and you can barely see the tree line down near PG rd. Just a yellow cloud.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Columbia is a hot shit hole.  In fact I don't have any need for the part of SC in between Columbia and the coast.  The Upstate needs to secede.  OP, head north and visit Greenville.
View Quote
This. I am in Oconee Co OP. If you head up toward the mountains and need any advice give me a shout.

Definitely check out Abbeville too if you get out and about, go to The Rough House on the square for a step back in time to the 30's and good hot dogs.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's hotter in Florida to me than it is in SC.

And how in the HELL has no one talked about how culturally vibrant Columbia is.

Overall though it's not bad, you have PSA and everything nice is only a couple hours away.
View Quote
The PSA off of Farrow Rd seems to carry a wider selection of ammo FWIW.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:53:33 PM EDT
[#15]
My company moved me here to THE place to be, Sandhills. I couldn't make it 6 months... told them I gotta go! This place really is terrible. When the locals tell you "It's great being only two hours from _______ (Charleston, Augusta, Charlotte)" you know it's a dump. A previous post said the roads were horrible. They are the worst roads I've ever driven on.

No joke, I can't take the kids to the pool because of the non-stop yelling... "Damarius, get yo ass off dem steps!!!" "Jonquil, Imma beat yo ass if you do that again!!" ALL DAY.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll pray for you. South Carolina is the Idaho of the SE.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I moved to Columbia for work.  After renting for a year I chose the northeast side of town/Blythewood area to look for a house because the traffic sucks if you are commuting from Lexington into Columbia every day.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Prepare to live in the hottest place on Earth.

I have very little functional knowledge of Columbia except it is very hot compared to the rest of the state.
View Quote
Haha.  phatmax has never been to Memphis.  Or other parts of the Country.  Let alone the Middle East or Africa.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#19]
It's already been said it needs to be said again, it's hot.  Miserably hot.  The only place that is worse would be Orangeburg.  Also the mustard sauce they use on barbeque is an abomination.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:04:33 PM EDT
[#20]
If there is a heat wave in the SE, Colombia will be 2 to 5 degrees hotter
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Fire ants
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Moved from Mobile to Columbia in the late eighties.  I'm sure it's different now, but I didn't care for it and was glad to get away from there.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Columbia was OK up until the 1990`s when it achieved chocolate city status. Now that the FSA runs everything in the city and Richland county, it is a race to the bottom. If they moved the state government and USC out of Columbia, it would look like Detroit in 5 years. And I am not a hater. I was born and raised in Columbia. I am sad to see it sliding down hill. There are still nice areas, but the city is corrupt, with taxes rising and services declining. I only go over there when absolutely necessary.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:40:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Prepare to live in the hottest place on Earth.

I have very little functional knowledge of Columbia except it is very hot compared to the rest of the state.
View Quote
Not really, down on the coast is definitely worse. But really all you need to know is that Columbia sucks. No mountains like the upstate, no beaches and salt water like the coast. The midlands blows. But the bright side I suppose is you are no more than a few hours from either of the good parts of the state so there's that
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:55:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I went to college at USC so most of my experience is framed by that.

It's unnaturally hot there, like stupid hot, for no reason. PSA is based out of there, some solid parks, you can float down the river and get tanked, Lake Murray, Riverbanks Zoo,  State Fair, tailgating and game night, etc. It's only an hour from Charlotte, not far from Asheville, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, or Savannah.  You can definitely do a lot worse.

If I had to move back, I'd find a house somewhere like Irmo, Lexington, or Blythewood.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:55:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I grew up in Columbia and still live here. It is 'alright' I suppose. I mean I am happy here over all. There is plenty to do and places to go to have a good time. Columbia has good  and bad areas like anywhere else. There are some SERIOUSLY bad areas that people won't acknowledge is an issue. I agree with a lot of what was said previously positive and negative. The politics within the City itself is a corrupt mess. Everyone from the "prestigious" Mayor Steve Benjamin (just google him) to the City Council members on down and all around them.  If it was not for the Univ. of SC college campus I BET the City itself would be much like Detroit or the bad areas of Chicago. All the little towns around it like Lexington, Chapin, Irmo, Forest Acres are very nice.

There is an abundance of gun stores. Two PSAs, FN,  and all sorts of other misc. Gun stores up and down Broad River area. I didn't have a problem getting an AR or two during the 2013 Obama gun bad attempt.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I hear you have to visit Palmetto State Armory a lot
View Quote

FPFNI!!!  I miss PSA...
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#28]
LOL at all the GA. fuckers talking shit about SC.

They're just pissed that PSA now charges them sales tax when they're buying one of their $150.00 uppers.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:10:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Now here's an important questions. How's the BBQ?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:36:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Two Notch Rd. area is nice.

Buy a house there.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:43:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Two Notch Rd. area is nice.

Buy a house there.
View Quote
#itsatrap
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
are you going there for jail? 
View Quote
That's usually the first thing I think of when Columbia comes up...
USC and a prison.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:48:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I lived in Bahrain and just got home from Egypt. I'm not too worried about the heat.
View Quote
"But that was a dry heat..."
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
SC bbq is trash. I've lived here for 11 years
and still have to go back to NC to get good bbq except for the annual "Pig on the Ridge" in Ridgeway.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:48:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Groucho's for lunch...
View Quote
We've got one of those in Easley
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#36]
One of my friends lives there. He said it's mostly a shithole with bad roads.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:06:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

and still have to go back to NC to get good bbq except for the annual "Pig on the Ridge" in Ridgeway.
View Quote
North Carolina BBQ is up there with some of the worst BBQ you will ever get. I would almost rather not have BBQ than eat that vinegar based trash. And I love BBQ. Regions of NC that don't embrace the vinegar base excluded of course
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:22:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have to move to Columbia for a couple months, or possibly even up to a year. I've done the regular google checks, but I always like to ask on here; what should I know in advanced? Any locals that love it or hate it? Any "must see or do" things? I know I'm good to bring even my NFA stuff, but any weird laws I should know?
View Quote

College town. Avoid Game day Saturday's in the fall. SC has an early deer hunting season and hot weather.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Haha.  phatmax has never been to Memphis.  Or other parts of the Country.  Let alone the Middle East or Africa.
View Quote
Yes, I have been to Memphis in early August.  I have been to Belize in June, I have been on Biscayne Bay in July with no wind , no clouds and no air conditioning on a sailboat; I have been to Galveston, TX in August.

Please, next time when you attempt to be condescending and presumptuous about someone and call them provincial or ignorant...know who you are talking to.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just make my own.  I have entirely stopped going to BBQ joints in SC.  Tired of being disappointed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Been here for 27 years.  Columbia has been good for us.  Best thing about Columbia is I-20, I-26 and I-77.  They all get you the hell out of town quickly for a vacation.  
Mountains and Beach are a few hours in either direction.

Heads up warning:  Starting July 1, new tax on bringing a car into the state or purchasing a car. Automatic $500 bonus to the state.  

Careful picking a location in the Irmo or NE area.  (I live in the NE)  Some neighborhoods are going ghetto quickly. No, I don't mean just because black folks live there.  My neighborhood has a high percentage of black folks.  But I'm the one bringing the 'hood down.    Majority in my area have very well manicured lawns, well kept and maintained houses.  It's white trash like me that has cars in the driveway on the weekends up on stands, lack of proper lawn maintenance, house that needs power washing, etc...  

If anyone mentions Friarsgate subdivision, bitch slap them.    Place is full of gang bangers.  Unless you want to be Clint Eastwood in Grand Torino.

Honestly, it all depends on time and location of where you will be working.  The 7am to 9am drive from the Irmo or Lexington area is pure gridlock.  Coming from the NE is busy, but not gridlock.

Are you planning on renting or purchasing?  If purchasing, think Richland II or Lexington school districts for property values to increase. (And still be careful with some of these areas. Avoid anything in the Ridgeview High school district)  The Rosewood and Shandon areas are nice older districts, but within city limits.  Higher taxes.  There are also a lot of older areas downtown that are revitalizing slowly.  My son just bought a home of all places, downtown at Martin Luther King Park.  The whole area is being taken over by young professionals and they are dumping cash into the area on their housing.

Oh, and has it been mentioned that the stagnant high humidity mixed with miserable heat on concrete is a MF'er??  
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

North Carolina BBQ is up there with some of the worst BBQ you will ever get. I would almost rather not have BBQ than eat that vinegar based trash. And I love BBQ. Regions of NC that don't embrace the vinegar base excluded of course
View Quote
You must not have spent much time in Western NC.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I have lived in Columbia my whole life.  I really like it here, but I cannot fathom why anyone would come here as a tourist.  Sure, we have a lot of Revolutionary and Civil War stuff here, the zoo is nice, there's PSA, etc.  But that's about the tourist stuff here.  

And I can honestly say that if you think Columbia is hot, then my friend you have never been to Houston.  I worked there a few summers back, and the heat and humidity were worse than Columbia.  

And the roads suck.  A lot.  There is no way to spin that, they just suck.  I hate football, so I don't care about USC or Clemson.  It makes going to the grocery store easier when everyone else is watching the game though!
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This. I have a short video on my old iphone from the parking lot of Abblebees on Harbison looking back down toward Piney Grove Rd in the spring when the pollen was real bad and you can barely see the tree line down near PG rd. Just a yellow cloud.
View Quote
But the yellow stuff isn't even what irritates most folks. That's pine pollen, oak is what gets most people. But I have turned on to my road(about an hour from Columbia) and literally thought there was forest fire because the pollen was so thick with the wind blowing it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Typical tarhole bull shit. A lot of people in South Carolina don't like the BBQ here(mostly speaking of mustard) but a lot do. Every single North Carolinian talks shit about BBQ from South Carolina but there's no way that two hours of geography changes people's palate to that degree. I like both styles but I don't let state line bias cloud my judgement.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Typical tarhole bull shit. A lot of people in South Carolina don't like the BBQ here(mostly speaking of mustard) but a lot do. Every single North Carolinian talks shit about BBQ from South Carolina but there's no way that two hours of geography changes people's palate to that degree. I like both styles but I don't let state line bias cloud my judgement.
View Quote
I don't let a state line bias my judgment either I just know mustard based bbq is shit.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I lived there for 5 years -> 2010 - 2015

They don't call it the armpit of the south for nothing. It's hot as fuck. You're 2 hours from Hilton Head, Charleston, and an hour from Charlotte, which is nice for day/weekend trips.

I spent more time than i'd like to admit in 5 points, but you'd be more at home in the Vista. World of Beer & Flying Saucer are cool for casual beers in the Vista - Tin Roof is also awesome.

Make sure to go to a couple of Carolina games in the Fall, tailgating is religion here - and the lax open container laws are very convenient.

Make it to southern belly BBQ, Pawleys front porch, and Salty Nut in 5 points

Also if you can find the time go float the river
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I lived there for 5 years -> 2010 - 2015

They don't call it the armpit of the south for nothing. It's hot as fuck. You're 2 hours from Hilton Head, Charleston, and an hour from Charlotte, which is nice for day/weekend trips.

I spent more time than i'd like to admit in 5 points, but you'd be more at home in the Vista. World of Beer & Flying Saucer are cool for casual beers in the Vista - Tin Roof is also awesome.

Make sure to go to a couple of Carolina games in the Fall, tailgating is religion here - and the lax open container laws are very convenient.

Make it to southern belly BBQ, Pawleys front porch, and Salty Nut in 5 points

Also if you can find the time go float the river
View Quote
2hrs from Hilton head?? Maybe by helicopter
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Orange.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's some good stuff. I'm on 200, south of Great Falls about 4 miles. I cross over the little road next to Smarr's Heating and Air and hit Hwy 21, and I'm in Ridgeway in about 15 minutes if that.

I hate that the Indians bought out Stevie D's. When Stevie ran it the chicken breast was fantastic and it was huge. You got a ton of food for your dollar. All the food in there was great.

Ever since the Indians took over it's sucked. They cut corners and raised prices, and cut portions too.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top