User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Of all the useful languages to learn why Arabic? We should give 2 shits about learning Arabic because it should be useless.
View Quote
This ranks up there with some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen on arfcom.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Why Russian?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spanish would be more useful. Or Russian.
Why Russian?
Why Arabic? Why now? 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why does it need to be part of HISD then?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand the problem. It's a privately funded (mostly, The Qatar Foundation does receive public monies as well as private donations) and publicly available school aimed at teaching bilingualism to Houston students who want to learn Arabic.
Why does it need to be part of HISD then?
Because the duly elected school board members decided *that* was what their constituency wanted.

Take it up with them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So, you've come to the point in you thinking where you decided that children who know English can't learn another language while continuing to *also* learned English and then you just stopped thinking. My kids are 4 and 5 respectively and they're learning bilingualism at this moment. As far as the "let them pay for it" comment .... they do. Every resident of Houston contributes to HISD. Including those with children who wish to attend this HISD school.
View Quote
So then your OK with them teaching islam in schools, after all, it's the fastest growing religion. 

You would think there would be immersion Spanish taught in Houston. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Would that be on par with a Taco Bell?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They teach Arabic (the language) there. Why is Op upset?
View Quote
Typical GD Knee Jerk

Immersion Schools are language schools where all class work and most discussion is done in the language the student is learning as opposed to his native tongue.

A school to teach Arabic.

Can't defeat the enemy if you don't know what they're up too. We need Arabic speakers.

Doubt there's a lot of Arabic kids there, they already speak the language, and need to be in English immersion schools, AKA, regular school.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I took 3 semesters of Arabic in college.  Dry interesting language. It was neat watching the "scribble" turn into individual letters as I learned the Arabic alphabet.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why Arabic? Why now? 
View Quote
I would imagine that Americans who have learned Arabic are doing more to keep ussafe from terrorism than anyone else, right now.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So then your OK with them teaching islam in schools, after all, it's the fastest growing religion. 

View Quote
Do they teach Christianity in other public schools? This is a language school. Arabic does not equal Islam.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
AIMS.

A.
I.
M.
S.
View Quote

The only AIMS  that count
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:55:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So, you've come to the point in you thinking where you decided that children who know English can't learn another language while continuing to *also* learned English and then you just stopped thinking. My kids are 4 and 5 respectively and they're learning bilingualism at this moment. As far as the "let them pay for it" comment .... they do.  Every resident of Houston contributes to HISD. Including those with children who wish to attend this HISD school.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ITT are a bunch of arfcommers that cannot comprehend the benefits of speaking Arabic.
If parents want their 4-5 year old kids to learn Arabic, that's great.  Let them pay for it. 
If my tax money is paying for it, at that age, they should be learning how to read/write English. 
So, you've come to the point in you thinking where you decided that children who know English can't learn another language while continuing to *also* learned English and then you just stopped thinking. My kids are 4 and 5 respectively and they're learning bilingualism at this moment. As far as the "let them pay for it" comment .... they do.  Every resident of Houston contributes to HISD. Including those with children who wish to attend this HISD school.
So you're telling me I stopped thinking.  That's an interesting personal attack. 

Every resident of Houston contributes to HISD?  LOL.  How do resident illegal aliens in Houston contribute to HISD to their kids education?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah because the Spaniards and Russians are trying to kill us and we really need to try to figure out what they are up too.

And no one in Texas speaks Spanish already......

Are they MAKING KIDS attend this school?

Or perhaps kids that WANT to learn Arabic and use it to make a useful career path for themselves in business, the military or intelligence could voluntarily attend....
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, you've come to the point in you thinking where you decided that children who know English can't learn another language while continuing to *also* learned English and then you just stopped thinking. My kids are 4 and 5 respectively and they're learning bilingualism at this moment. As far as the "let them pay for it" comment .... they do. Every resident of Houston contributes to HISD. Including those with children who wish to attend this HISD school.

As a Christian, I'm not even comfortable teaching Christianity in schools. But, that's not the issue at hand, is it?

Yes, I'd be perfectly happy with HISD providing immersion language schools for ANY language.

You'd have to be fucking retarded to think that linguists and bilingualism are in some way valueless. I mean that, by the way. Only a fucking retard could be against kids who are multilingual.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So you're telling me I stopped thinking.  That's an interesting personal attack. 

Every resident of Houston contributes to HISD?  LOL.  How do resident illegal aliens in Houston contribute to HISD to their kids education?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ITT are a bunch of arfcommers that cannot comprehend the benefits of speaking Arabic.
If parents want their 4-5 year old kids to learn Arabic, that's great.  Let them pay for it. 
If my tax money is paying for it, at that age, they should be learning how to read/write English. 

If they are paying rent on a house or apartment or are homeowners they do.

You really think a lot of illegals are sending their kids to Arabic language schools? Is this really a problem you think needs addressing?

Suggesting you stopped thinking isn't an attack, it's an observation. Based on your follow up, I don't think I was wrong.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Looks like they have Spanish ( very useful for Houston and third most spoken), mandarin ( 1st most spoken), and Arabic ( fifth most spoken).   Looks to me like an intelligent choice of languages 

http://www.hisdchoice.com/dual_languages
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I just worry some idiot is going to conclude Arabic Immersion = Madrassa or Mosque and firebomb the place.

And no, I am not advocating firebombing mosques or madrassas.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As a Christian, I'm not even comfortable teaching Christianity in schools. But, that's not the issue at hand, is it?

Yes, I'd be perfectly happy with HISD providing immersion language schools for ANY language.

You'd have to be fucking retarded to think that linguists and bilingualism are in some way valueless. I mean that, by the way. Only a fucking retard could be against kids who are multilingual.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the same post you call yourself a Christian and then call someone else a fucking retard
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why Arabic? Why now? 
View Quote
Pretty sure that school has been there as long as I've lived in the area. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well there is, sooooo. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In the same post you call yourself a Christian and then call someone else a fucking retard
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's nothing in the Bible that says I can't have an opinion on the mental of acuity of someone who comes to various conclusions.

On that note, do you think children should NOT learn more than one language?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Personally, I'm okay with killing Godless heathen infidels. I'm a Nazarene myself.

If you don't know the difference you're a moron.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:41:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I live just North of this school and drive by it daily.  Use to be a highschool with an energy focus (oil and gas) a few years back.

This is an immersion school (as opposed to a dual language school), and native speakers are not allowed.  Probably not a bad program for those aspiring to military or energy careers.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I live just North of this school and drive by it daily.  Use to be a highschool with an energy focus (oil and gas) a few years back.

This is an immersion school (as opposed to a dual language school), and native speakers are not allowed.  Probably not a bad program for those aspiring to military or energy careers.
View Quote
Impossible. I have been assured that learning Arabic is completely useless.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I suspect there is a very strong correlation in this thread between those who don't know another language and those who are outraged/offended by an Arabic immersion program.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ok ok. Let me guess what you're gonna say next: There are no benefits of speaking or understanding Farsi or Pashto either. In fact English is the best language and everyone needs to speak English.

Haha I'm pretty good right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are no benefits.
Ok ok. Let me guess what you're gonna say next: There are no benefits of speaking or understanding Farsi or Pashto either. In fact English is the best language and everyone needs to speak English.

Haha I'm pretty good right?
17 posts in 7 years?

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There's nothing in the Bible that says I can't have an opinion on the mental of acuity of someone who comes to various conclusions.

View Quote
If you think there's nothing in the bible that says you shouldn't judge someone and call them a "fucking retard", I suppose we have a different interpretation of scripture. 

With some exceptions, like learning to use language such as "fucking retards", there's nothing wrong with children learning anything.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Houston is the HQ for a lot of Big Oil companies. Arabs have a lot of oil and need help getting out of the ground. Makes sense to me to learn Arabic if you go to school in Houston.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you think there's nothing in the bible that says you shouldn't judge someone and call them a "fucking retard", I suppose we have a different interpretation of scripture. 

With some exceptions, like learning to use language such as "fucking retards", there's nothing wrong with children learning anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suspect it's one of many divergences we share.

FWIW, I didn't "call" anyone a retard.... fucking or otherwise. I simply said that anyone dumb enough to have reached that conclusion could *only be one*
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Recess

Plan accordingly
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
Weird, those kids don't look like they need any help learning Arabic, just based on the flags they are carrying.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ironically, a sizable majority of Muslims don't speak Arabic.  Only about 20% of Muslims are native Arabic speakers, mainly because the largest Muslim countries are not in the Arab Middle East:

Indonesia (~200 million)
Nigeria (~150 million)
Pakistan (~150 million)
India (Not a Muslim country, but Muslim population there is about as large as Pakistan's) (~180 million)
Bangladesh (~150 million)
Turkey (~75 million)
Iran (~75 million)
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I shop at the Home Depot right near there 
View Quote
Thanks for that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:30:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Fucking horse shit. Really?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/439458/IMG-0140-237864.JPG

ETA well, I obviously had no idea what this was. I assumed it was some sort of refugee welcome center or something similar. I'll take my hillbilly education and go home...
View Quote

Oh hey, you were in my neighborhood today!  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top