Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Prime rib is for rubes.  Get the rib eye, or the filet if you don't actually like beef.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I would choose filet

But properly cooked they are both fantastic
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Filet for me
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Prime rib is for rubes.  Get the rib eye, or the filet if you don't actually like beef.
View Quote
Prime rib and rib eye are the same cuts. One is a roast. Cut a prime rib into steaks = ribeye. And I'm surprised so many voted tenderloin. It doenst have much flavor compared to just about every other cut. It needs a sauce. But the texture is great.

A properly cooked prime grade rib roast over ribeye steak. The roast allows you to get the entire meat to perfection. The cap fat melts into and protects the eye. Perfection.

Notice very little fat in pan or carving board?  It's all in the meat. This was Christmas dinner.

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never liked prime rib, I'd rather have a sirloin.

Filet all day.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Filet mignon any day of the week. I don't like prime rib.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've never liked prime rib, I'd rather have a sirloin.

Filet all day.
View Quote
Than you've never had a good one. A true prime grade rib roast cooked properly can be cut with a fork and has same texture of tenderloin if not better. Just much more flavor and fat.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't care for big hunks of fat, so filet for me.

I also like a sirloin sometimes since they are lean also, but the filet is much more tender obviously.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Porterhouse/Peter Luger/thread.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Prime rib and rib eye are the same cuts. One is a roast. Cut a prime rib into steaks = ribeye. And I'm surprised so many voted tenderloin. It doenst have much flavor compared to just about every other cut. It needs a sauce. But the texture is great.

A properly cooked prime grade rib roast over ribeye steak. The roast allows you to get the entire meat to perfection. The cap fat melts into and protects the eye. Perfection.

Notice very little fat in pan or carving board?  It's all in the meat. This was Christmas dinner.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/418896/image-237950.jpg
View Quote
That's what I did for Christmas as well, everyone loved it and it's actually a lot easier to get right than most people assume as long as you get a good rib roast to begin with.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Filet = favorite
Ribeye also = favorite

depends on mood
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Steak is like candy....its all good, but a milky way is not a peppermint patty, and neither of those are an ice cream cone.
All good...all different.

I love a ribeye for backyard, cold beer, summer night savory steak.
I love a prime rib on a cold winter night...big ass cut...rare...lots of fat...just a wonderful thing.
If I am out at a fancy type of steakhouse, I like a filet, NY strip, or really any cut...so long as its rare to med rare and done properly.

Bottom line...good steak is always good.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Prime rib is a roast.  Good, but not a steak.
View Quote
Prime rib is the ribeye. The difference is in the cooking method. 
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's what I did for Christmas as well, everyone loved it and it's actually a lot easier to get right than most people assume as long as you get a good rib roast to begin with.
View Quote
The cut is everything. Go prime. Look at the cut. Get the best you can. Don't overcook. Easy.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#17]
If I wanted to eat bloody fat... well I dont so fillet mig-non for me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If I wanted to eat bloody fat... well I dont so fillet mig-non for me.
View Quote
That's not blood and fat equal flavor. The tenderloin is the least tasty cut there is. That's why it needs a fatty sauce to taste decent.

It's least flavor cut there is. Nothing has less beef flavor on the other entire cow than the tenderloin.  It is truly the worst cut there is.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#19]
2" thick ribeye
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Prime, as long as the horseradish is excellent.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Filet is a nice tender cut and everything but is take prime rib for flavor over it. Even a good reverse seared bone in ribeye. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Filet all day, every day.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Another filet vote here. My favorite cut.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Another filet vote here. My favorite cut.
View Quote
You do know it's the shitest cut right?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
You keep saying doesn't make it true.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it be like it do. Yes it's tender. But no flavor.  It does what it does. But it has no flavor.

No fat.  No flavor
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#27]
I think prime rib is kind of overrated, it doesn't suck, but it's what people serve at weddings and conferences. I'd much rather have a good filet, ny strip, or ribeye.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Prime Rib all day, every day.  Filet Mignon has no real flavor--whereas Prime Rib is to ultimate beefy yumminess.  Not even fucking close.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:03:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Love me some prime rib, porterhouse, ribeye and T-bones, but I've gotta go filet. Big round and juicy, just like I like my wiminz!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I like a nice Strip.  Then a Rib eye, then a filet.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Prime rib. Every time.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Ribeye is the fattiest and thus, most manly of the cuts.  

Filet mignon is what women order.

The rest is fine if you're poor.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:29:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ahhh.  GD, where rubes have no clue on what they are talking about.

Prime rib is a rib eye. It's just in a roast.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I got myself a nice big Angus filet mignon from the grocery store last night, grilled it to absolutely medium rare/rare perfection.
View Quote
That's...not something to be proud of.  Angus is one of the lower quality cows.
Hardy, easy to raise, relatively cheap beef with an excellent marketing department.  Nothing wrong with it, just don't call it a premium meat.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Ribeye.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:32:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hardy, easy to raise, relatively cheap beef with an excellent marketing department.  Nothing wrong with it, just don't call it a premium meat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got myself a nice big Angus filet mignon from the grocery store last night, grilled it to absolutely medium rare/rare perfection.
He didn't.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:33:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They're all good but Prime Rib
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:35:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Saturday is prime rib day in Wisconsin. Medium rare and give me some horseradish sauce
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:12:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Love ribeye, but more often buy chuckeye.

Chuckeye is awesome for the price. Not as pretty as a ribeye but the flavor and texture rock.

Prime rib is something I never make at home, I like it if eating out.

Filet is good but overrated. Not worth the cost IMO.

NY strip or sirloin is great IF cut thick, charred on the outside and and rare on the inside. Fattier cuts I like medium rare.

Steak. Because steak.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:13:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Filet
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:15:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Slow roasted prime rib finished on a hot grill.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:15:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
2" thick ribeye
View Quote
This guy knows what's up.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:17:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Definitely prime rib.

Porterhouse 2nd.

I don't think I've had a filet in this millennium.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:27:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

But it be like it do. Yes it's tender. But no flavor.  It does what it does. But it has no flavor.

No fat.  No flavor
View Quote
Every properly prepared Filet I've ever had was tender and delicious.  As well as consistently being the most expensive cut doesn't really fit into "shittiest cut" now does it?  I'm not sure you know how to prepare steaks at all if your filets don't have flavor.

Enjoy your fatty cuts.  I feed those to the dogs personally..
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 1:30:23 AM EDT
[#45]
I chose ribeye, bone in if possible.  But a good prime rib is also awesome... kinda the same cut of meat though.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 2:29:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That's not blood and fat equal flavor. The tenderloin is the least tasty cut there is. That's why it needs a fatty sauce to taste decent.

It's least flavor cut there is. Nothing has less beef flavor on the other entire cow than the tenderloin.  It is truly the worst cut there is.
View Quote
So thats why all the fancy resturants get top dollar for it and so many people like it. including myself. Thanks for letting me know what I like though.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:03:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Filet Mignon and Top Sirloin are my two favorites.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So thats why all the fancy resturants get top dollar for it and so many people like it. including myself. Thanks for letting me know what I like though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all personal preference of course. But it is the least tasty cut because no fat.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Hands down a good cut of filet mignon is the best tasting steak. When I get a Porterhouse steak, I can't wait to get to the filet. Ribeye has too much fat. I hate fat.  NY Strip tends to be tougher meat. Filet mignon is the smoothest, most tender, and best tasting cut of all. My favorite is the Chateaubriand, a great tasting filet mignon roast.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top