Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/24/2017 5:08:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:10:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a bit partial to the bone in ribeye, preferably a tomahawk. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:12:42 AM EDT
[#2]
They're all good but Prime Rib
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:26:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Id vote filet mignon as long as its real big or I can have a few of them
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:28:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll take a Porterhouse.  A New York Strip and a Tenderloin on the same piece of bone, what's not to like?

Be careful that it's a REAL Porterhouse; a lot of them are marked that way but are really T-Bones. The tenderloin side of a Porterhouse is much larger.

This will help:

https://www.thespruce.com/steak-cuts-glossary-336365

https://www.thespruce.com/cuts-of-beef-chuck-loin-rib-brisket-and-more-995304
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:33:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I voted porterhouse, but really it's a tie between that and prime rib
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:49:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Ribeye/Porterhouse/T-bone/strip/skirt.

Both filets and prime rib are actually too tender for my tastes.  I like my steak to fight back a little, not cowardly submit like a defeated liberal.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Bacon wrapped filet.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:02:52 AM EDT
[#8]
My birthday steak is almost always a Porterhouse. Cooking for company its going to be a Prime Rib roast. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:10:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll take a Porterhouse.  A New York Strip and a Tenderloin on the same piece of bone, what's not to like?

Be careful that it's a REAL Porterhouse; a lot of them are marked that way but are really T-Bones. The tenderloin side of a Porterhouse is much larger.

This will help:

https://www.thespruce.com/cuts-of-beef-chuck-loin-rib-brisket-and-more-995304https://fthmb.tqn.com/GPNGyr1ViAKIuaE6gs7K0ggGqTM=/960x0/filters:no_upscale()/about/US_Beef_cuts-56a20f1b5f9b58b7d0c62024.jpg
View Quote
The thing with porterhouse is there are only about 4inches on the short loin that give you a nice filet and a nice strip.  Up or down either way and you get a nicer strip or a nicer filet. But not both

So basically if you pick a porterhouse on the filet you get a crappy strip and if you pick one on the strip you get a crappy filet.

Back to the poll. I love meat, anything on the bone.  Doesn't matter what cut, it's what you do with it that matters.

Also that pic above is horrid.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:21:29 AM EDT
[#10]
No vote for flank steak?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:30:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The thing with porterhouse is there are only about 4inches on the short loin that give you a nice filet and a nice strip.  Up or down either way and you get a nicer strip or a nicer filet. But not both

So basically if you pick a porterhouse on the filet you get a crappy strip and if you pick one on the strip you get a crappy filet.

Back to the poll. I love meat, anything on the bone.  Doesn't matter what cut, it's what you do with it that matters.

View Quote
When I worked as a butcher, we would pick the best porterhouse out of each primal and set them aside (wrapped and labeled). At the end of the day, we all took our pick from the stash and went home. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:41:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

When I worked as a butcher, we would pick the best porterhouse out of each primal and set them aside (wrapped and labeled). At the end of the day, we all took our pick from the stash and went home. 
View Quote
I do that but with Chuck eyes, I'm a budget shopper
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:16:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This will help:

https://www.thespruce.com/cuts-of-beef-chuck-loin-rib-brisket-and-more-995304https://fthmb.tqn.com/GPNGyr1ViAKIuaE6gs7K0ggGqTM=/960x0/filters:no_upscale()/about/US_Beef_cuts-56a20f1b5f9b58b7d0c62024.jpg
View Quote
I gotta say porterhouse too. Surprised we're such a minority.

A good, thick bone in ribeye comes in a close second.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:16:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I love steak. But prime rib will always be my last choice amongst the others
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:20:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was that part of your compensation 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:21:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bacon wrapped filet.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bacon wrapped filet.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:28:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Filet man here
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Prime rib is a roast.  Good, but not a steak.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:31:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Glad to see I'm not the only one that picked Rib eye.  Filet doesn't have enough fat for my taste.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:42:52 AM EDT
[#21]
It's hard to pick one, but up until a year or so ago, I never knew this existed... Ribeye cap steak! For those uninformed as I was, yes that's the fattest, bestest part of the ribeye all rolled up just for you. Let the vegans and peasants eat the eye.

Attachment Attached File

*it's probably best I didn't discover these until later in life, I'd likely have clogged an artery by now.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@psegnatelli
@packingXDs
Since you were both butchers, have you heard of this cut?
We have a butcher here that has the now trademarked "Ugly Steak" by Jan Dikman of Dikman's Meats in Tucson.  It's properly called the second muscle or bottom sirloin butt flap.  It's arguably my favorite steak, both for flavor and tenderness.

http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/it-ain-t-ugly-it-s-my-dinner/article_eee105c6-bc0d-11e3-be95-0019bb2963f4.html
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Prime rib got my vote, but I'd eat any of the choices.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chuck eye is the best bang for the buck IMO.  I have one for the grill today.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We still paid for it (at cost). Hence wrapped and labeled. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:52:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@psegnatelli
@packingXDs
We have a butcher here that has the now trademarked "Ugly Steak" by Jan Dikman of Dikman's Meats in Tucson.  It's properly called the second muscle or bottom sirloin butt flap.  It's arguably my favorite steak, both for flavor and tenderness.

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/insidetucsonbusiness.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/57/15734eec-bc0e-11e3-8df3-0019bb2963f4/533ed03fbb4ae.image.jpg

http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/news/it-ain-t-ugly-it-s-my-dinner/article_eee105c6-bc0d-11e3-be95-0019bb2963f4.html
View Quote
Nope, never heard of it. Looks like a butterfly chuck roll crossed with skirt steak. I'd eat it. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm just getting a ribeye.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@psegnatelli
@packingXDs

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/insidetucsonbusiness.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/57/15734eec-bc0e-11e3-8df3-0019bb2963f4/533ed03fbb4ae.image.jpg

View Quote
Yes. Flap is awesome. Also called a bottom sirloin at times or sirloin tip.

Another awesome seldom seen cut is the cap off a top sirloin butt. Called a culotte or we sell it as a Brazilian picanha. Some people will try to pass it off as a tri tip. But they are close but different.

Alot of places don't do rib eye or sirloin cap because the yield is so low. You might get 6 packages and a few pounds of trim from one primal vs 15  and almost no trim if you leave it whole.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Prime Rib. All that delicious Fat.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Prime rib.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:19:27 AM EDT
[#31]
If I could eat one thing right now it would be a bone in Chuck steak. 4inches thick, first cut. Covered in onion soup mix, wrapped in foiled and slow roasted for a few hours.  You could probably do it on the smoker.  

OK 2 things.  A 3in bone in sirloin.  Just salt, over woodcoals, blown air to get that fire like a forge,  3mins each side. Roasted garlic butter and nice crunchy loaf of bread.

Maybe 3. Carpaccio sounds good too. A nice mixed green salad with walnut oil and champagne vinegar.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Where is the hamburger option?

I vote for ribeye
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:34:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Prime Rib. All that delicious Fat.
View Quote
Yep. Filet doesn't have much flavor. No fat. More fat = more flavor.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I love filet minced with a knife, raw, with a little salt and a few sprigs of fresh parsley

But whatever makes you enjoy your food is the proper way and cut.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:46:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Prime rib
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I love filet minced with a knife, raw, with a little salt and a few sprigs of fresh parsley

But whatever makes you enjoy your food is the proper way and cut.
View Quote
We use to take the bits of trim from the good cuts, hit them with S&P and wrap them in foil. Put that bad boy on the heat pad of the wrapping machine and come back in a couple minutes for a snack. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We use to take the bits of trim from the good cuts, hit them with S&P and wrap them in foil. Put that bad boy on the heat pad of the wrapping machine and come back in a couple minutes for a snack. 
View Quote
My boss still does.  I just eat it raw.  He thinks I'm nuts but if I can eat something raw why would I want to eat it cooked. Fresh ground sirloin is a favorite snack of mine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#38]
filet with ribeye a very very close second
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Even at the finest restaurants, I have never in my life, evar, had prime rib that wasn't half gristle.

I HATE gristle.
and it pisses me off when I pay good money for "prime rib" and end up feeding half of it to my dogs because it's unfit for human consumption.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#40]
rib eye
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#41]
I've always regarded bone-in as trailer park fare. Am I out of touch? The poll supports my theory.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have never in my life, evar, had prime rib that wasn't half gristle.

I HATE gristle.
and it pisses me off when I pay good money for "prime rib" and end up feeding half of it to my dogs because it's unfit for human consumption.
View Quote
Then it wasn't prime. To get good prime rib you have to buy a prime rib roast and do it yourself or go to a high end steak place. Anything else it's gonna be a shitty cut.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#43]
No one likes Bottom Round wtf

You people wierd
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#44]
I got myself a nice big Angus filet mignon from the grocery store last night, grilled it to absolutely medium rare/rare perfection.

It was seared on the outside to perfect. Threw it on the burners on high for 2 minutes each side, shut off one burner, kept the other on high, moved it over to the side with the burner off, then let it slowly grill/roast .... beautiful edge-to-edge red deliciousness.. tender, so moist, so flavorful...

Key is then letting a steak, particularly a nice thick one "rest" for a good five minutes before slicing into it.

I am generally a porterhouse guy, but ..... now I'm not so sure.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Rib eye.  Filet is tender, but not much flavor.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Glad to see I'm not the only one that picked Rib eye.  Filet doesn't have enough fat for my taste.
View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Id vote filet mignon as long as its real big or I can have a few of them
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#48]
"Bacon wrapped filet mignon or (prime) rib-eye steak, grilled"

Yes, please.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I love a good ribeye but the last couple I had all had too much fat in them. 
Filets are great but a moderately marbled ribeye cooked medium rare is heaven
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Filet man here
View Quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top