Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2017 8:07:23 PM EDT
Can't embed image from flickr so I'll link it. 

Is this mess something that a 4yo should be able to clean or would the child need help? Not worried about folding but just putting in a drawer. 

She dumped it a while ago. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/iamjonscranium/35454136126/in/dateposted/
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Able to put back in drawer, yes.  Will moan and complain if they are my kids.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:16:27 PM EDT
[#2]
damn skippy!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
damn skippy!
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:17:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Where did you get those sheets?
Wonder if they come in King size
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes they can pick up and put it away. Especially if they made the mess.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol, getting 5 year old to clean up anything is almost impossible.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

She
View Quote

Yes.  A boy?  

*Based on my limited sample size.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can't embed image from flickr so I'll link it. 

Is this mess something that a 4yo should be able to clean or would the child need help? Not worried about folding but just putting in a drawer. 

She dumped it a while ago. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/iamjonscranium/35454136126/in/dateposted/
View Quote
A 2yr old that can sing "bits of paper" can clean up after themselves in daycare.

Looks more like a problem parent to me, respectfully.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#9]
You misspelled "dirtying".
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#10]
She finally did it. Took over an hour. Usually it's more difficult. 

My daughter was way more advanced than my son developmentally, but dammit she can make a mess, and it's a huge emotional ordeal for her to clean, even small messes. My son on the other hand is about average developmentally but cleans like a pro. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't expect the clothes to be folded neatly, but they can be organized into groups of like items (socks, shirts, pants, panamas) and placed into designated drawers. If it's the first time asking the child to do anything like that, guidance should be given at first. For example, "let's put the shirts here and the socks over here. Now that we have them organized, let's put the socks in this drawer here."
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#12]
They can pick up their toys and put them in the toy box. Then give them the next task. They can do it but need supervision to stay focused.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:29:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A 2yr old that can sing "bits of paper" can clean up after themselves in daycare.

View Quote
That's why I'm asking. Honestly though I'm at a loss how to deal with it. Mom is pretty messy too and daughter seems to be taking to it both nature and nurture-wise. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#14]
My 5 yo son is great about putting away his toys and putting his dirty clothes.  Clean clothes?  They might be in a drawer but that's about it.  However if he threw them down I would make him give his best effort.  

My 9 yo daughter?  I tell her once and then let mom handle the pissing and moaning.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's why I'm asking. Honestly though I'm at a loss how to deal with it. Mom is pretty messy too and daughter seems to be taking to it both nature and nurture-wise. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does your daughter have any sort of daily chore list?

Daily chores like making the bed, putting away clothes, putting silverware and napkins on the table, and picking up toys can be tracked on a sticker chart with rewards for getting a certain number of stickers. The reward could be a trip to the ice cream parlor or a movie night with popcorn or whatever (not money, since most kids that age don't have a real understanding of money yet). Kids love stickers and graphs to track progress and (of course) tangible, achievable reward goals.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Daily chores like making the bed, putting away clothes, putting silverware and napkins on the table, and picking up toys can be tracked on a sticker chart with rewards for getting a certain number of stickers. The reward could be a trip to the ice cream parlor or a movie night with popcorn or whatever (not money, since most kids that age don't have a real understanding of money yet). Kids love stickers and graphs to track progress and (of course) tangible, achievable reward goals.
View Quote
She helps set the table and has to pick up the toys in her room.  She sets the table no problem but picking up toys is a big ordeal. But not really a structured daily chore list 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#17]
My 4 year old needs exact directions.  If i say clean up your room, nothing will get done.  If i say put all your pants in the bottom drawer it will get done, then shirts then whatever, but only 1 type of clothing at a time.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My 4 year old needs exact directions.  If i say clean up your room, nothing will get done.  If i say put all your pants in the bottom drawer it will get done, then shirts then whatever, but only 1 type of clothing at a time.
View Quote
My situation goes beyond that. I can point to one item and say put it away and she'll be in a tantrum and "can't "do it. 

Kindergarten starts this year, we'll see how she does. If she's fine I'll stop worrying. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
She helps set the table and has to pick up the toys in her room.  She sets the table no problem but picking up toys is a big ordeal. But not really a structured daily chore list 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Structure is good. Kids need structure, even if they act like they resent it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Structure is good. Kids need structure, even if they act like they resent it.
View Quote
I know, but i don't control it. Wife stays home. Imo she has trouble creating structure too. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My situation goes beyond that. I can point to one item and say put it away and she'll be in a tantrum and "can't "do it. 

Kindergarten starts this year, we'll see how she does. If she's fine I'll stop worrying. 
View Quote
That's an easy one.

"Put that toy away."

"I can't because reasons!!!!"

"Ok, fine. You put it away where it belongs, or I put it away in the trash."

*temper tantrum*

*toy goes in the trash*

"Put that toy away." *point to the next toy*

Start with toys that aren't as important or soul-crushingly difficult to throw out. She'll get the message.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#22]
My kid is two and makes a huge mess of everything, but if you tell her to clean it up, she'll clean it up. It won't be perfect, but it'll be pretty clean.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Did you pick up your room like I asked you to?

Yes.

Let's go check.

I'll check for you.

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Straighten bed.  Pillow in the right place.

Pick up your clothes.  Dirty clothes in hamper.

Pick up your toys and put them away.

Basic cleaning up your own mess - including the bathroom.

Help with simple straightening up.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#25]
My 5 year old would pick that up in about 10 min. Maybe 2 mon of bitching and moaning. At 4 probably not.

The trash can works wonders but just have to follow through with it
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I managed to get my 2 year old to police up the sticks in the back yard before I mowed.  Careful balancing act of pretending to have the best time of my life throwing the sticks into a corner of the yard and pretending I didn't really want him to do the same.

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I managed to get my 2 year old to police up the sticks in the back yard before I mowed.  Careful balancing act of pretending to have the best time of my life throwing the sticks into a corner of the yard and pretending I didn't really want him to do the same.

View Quote
I shall call you Tom Sawyer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#28]
My daughter is 19 now, but when she was young from 4 years old up we would watch a barney episode that had a song in it she and I memorized "clean up clean up everybody does their share". That's all I can remember of the lyrics. I hate barney, but it worked for my kid.  I would have to sing it sometimes to get her into gear. Now she laughs and sings it at me when I make a mess. She knows I would clean up, but its a back and fourth we have. lol
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Lol, getting 5 year old to clean up anything is almost impossible.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:12:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
You got to be firm with them...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top