Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/23/2017 7:55:25 PM EDT
A bunch of people I know do this. We'll just be having a conversation, and if it's outside, they'll suddenly just droop their head and spit out a bubbly ball of saliva.

I've read it's just a habit that people pick up from seeing other people do it. I remember when I was a kid seeing older teenagers doing it and I thought it was the cool thing to do. But I never picked up on it. Why would I want to have a dry mouth? Plus, it just looks nasty.

We aren't talking about hacking up a necessary loogie or something, this is just random spitting.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#1]
When I'm running, yes. I'm allergy and asthma prone.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#2]
When you want to feel like you have a fat lip in but don't have a fat lip in
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Bring a spittoon the next time you hang out.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Only if I have dip in my cheek.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes... But, only when I am sick and alone. I will usually spit out of my window in my truck and onto cars with Hillary/Bernie stickers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Every 30 seconds or so. I also blow snot rockets to clear my nose. I'm going to be comfortable dammit!  My patio is stained with my spit and snot. My patio!

If I need to spit I'm going to spit. If I need to clear my nose I will.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#7]
One time in basic training my DS saw me spit on the ground. He made me pick it up and put it in my pocket.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#8]
No. I’m not retarded. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#9]
If I'm running and it's heavy pollen in the air... sure. I'll clear and spit every half mile or so.

If you're talking about just spitting on the ground every few seconds... no.  I don't wear a flat bill cap, affliction or tapout shirts and I'm not a douche.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#10]
It doesn't really bother me when I see people doing it (no fucks given - I'm really laid back), but the idea of even thinking about it is wildly foreign to me. I honestly think it's something that's picked up at an early age, and I never got it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No. I’m not retarded. 
View Quote
So you swallow your saliva that is picking up all the nasty shit from your teeth?  Fuck that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So you swallow your saliva that is picking up all the nasty shit from your teeth?  Fuck that.
View Quote
All the nasty shit? 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I do, but not randomly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No. I’m not retarded. 
Yes. Absolutely yes. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#15]
No because I'm not a disgusting lemming. I've always thought it was dumb as hell. Had a friend that did it when I was a teen and I asked him why he did it and he said he didn't know it was just a habit.

I do notice how some mannerisms are infectious though. I have been giving people thumbs up as an affirmative or randomly and quite often for probably ten years because I think it's funny and I have had several people complain to me that I had infected them with it and they were doing it now.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One time in basic training my DS saw me spit on the ground. He made me pick it up and put it in my pocket.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I know a woman that does this but she does the most dramatic hocking prior to it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#18]
For all the manly alpha males here, you guys seem to be "disgusted" by a lot of stuff.  

Anyways, only occasionally will I randomly spit on the ground unless I've got a dip in.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#19]
If I'm sick, I'll work up some goop and spit it out. Granted, not if I'm mid-conversation with someone, and when I do, I make sure to land it somewhere it's not likely to be stepped on by someone else. I'm courteous as fuck.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Only after I drink milk. Or if I have a cold.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If I'm sick, I'll work up some goop and spit it out. Granted, not if I'm mid-conversation with someone, and when I do, I make sure to land it somewhere it's not likely to be stepped on by someone else. I'm courteous as fuck.
View Quote
I will cross 4 floors to find an unoccupied restroom at work, so that I can properly blow my nose. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Not on the sidewalk,In the dirt or a trash can
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yes. Absolutely yes. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No. I’m not retarded. 
Yes. Absolutely yes. 
I'm a masticating mofo but I spit all the time. Pisser?  Spit in it. Shitter?  Spit in it. Outside?  Spit and snot rockets are flying. I will be comfortable.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I only see Mexicans spitting all over the fucking place. Fucking third worlders.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I find it utterly fucking disgusting.

Understandable in certain situations like hard exercise, bug flies into your mouth, allergies or something. But people that habitually do it for no good reason gross me out.

I worked with a guy for a couple of years who did it so habitually that he would forget that he was indoors and spit on the floor, sometimes in client's houses.

Yeah, hock a loogie on the gazillion dollar a square yard wool carpet in a $20,000,000 house. Great idea there champ.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#26]
In Afghanistan dust was pervasive and I started to spit just before going into a building and when coming out.

Now I have the habit of spitting when I get out of the car as well.  Try to stop, yet whenever I am distracted it starts again.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No. I’m not retarded. 
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#28]
No.

I haven't felt the need to spit since March 2003 .

The day my son was born I quit dipping Copenhagen.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#29]
My son said his mouth "makes too much water", and that it's gross to swallow your own water...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't know what's wrong with y'all. I have a mouth full of saliva every minute. I'm not swallowing it. Then again I drink and smoke and drink tons of water.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#31]
No spitting even with a dip in. No one wants to see that shit. And I certainly don't need my seven girls to start spitting all over hell. Bugs in the mouth, sure. Spit. Heavy physical exertion, by all means spit. Asthma or allergies, do what you got to do. I work maintenance. So we frequently have to crawl, kneel, sit or lay on the ground/floor. A coworker has to spit every minute or so weather he's chewing or not. Fuck that shit. I'm not crawling on someone else's snag.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#32]
No, I plan and choreograph it
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Nasty ass habit for simple creatures.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No spitting even with a dip in. No one wants to see that shit. And I certainly don't need my seven girls to start spitting all over hell. Bugs in the mouth, sure. Spit. Heavy physical exertion, by all means spit. Asthma or allergies, do what you got to do. I work maintenance. So we frequently have to crawl, kneel, sit or lay on the ground/floor. A coworker has to spit every minute or so weather he's chewing or not. Fuck that shit. I'm not crawling on someone else's snag.
View Quote
So what do you do with you're mouth full of saliva?

If one is grossed out by spitting or a snot rocket you lose your man card immediately. No corners cut. You lose it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If one is grossed out by spitting or a snot rocket you lose your man card immediately. No corners cut. You lose it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He obviously swallows.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
He obviously swallows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He obviously swallows.
Guess he likes that tasty gravy. Swallows it down. I'm outside. I'll spit and blow snot rockets.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#37]
When I do spit, which is seldom, it isn't random.  I always pick a target.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#38]
only when running or at PT, never feel the need to otherwise

-Mike
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#39]
After playing baseball for 20yrs, I just can't break the habit.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#40]
... no, I believe most men are civil
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No. I’m not retarded. 
yeah but I poop it out so what difference does it make?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#42]
No. It's filthy and disgusting.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#43]
There is a certain demographic that had a habit of spitting on the ground around a potential authority figure.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Fuck no.  Shit's nasty, yo.

When I smoked, I noticed other folks doing this while smoking and always thought that if one didn't like the taste of their cigarette, perhaps they should quit.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#45]
My momma looks down, and spits on the ground...  every time my name is mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Only when I have phlegm caught in my throat which is a couple times a day.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Nope. Not even when in the batter's box.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. Yes. I swallow. I'm not dipping a half tin at a time. So I don't have a half gallon of spit.
And it's not about being grossed out. It's about manners. My old man was old school, born in '36. So he tried to instill in me some manners. I'm not against you spitting, but I don't want to crawl through it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#49]
I do not...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Well duh!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top