Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:52:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:55:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I love the sound!   I'm jelly.

I want to know if it'll beat your new R/C to 40mph though.
View Quote
No, this was not even close. The GPS on the cams lags by 4 seconds.  I hit about 96 mph here on low boost, 6 psi.  Car tuned to 25 psi.  Its fun, thats all that counts.  Not a mustang, losing control into the neighborhood.  thats a plus.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:57:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I love the sound!   I'm jelly.

I want to know if it'll beat your new R/C to 40mph though.
View Quote
My Slash 4x4 with castle creations 2650 is about to be unleashed.  No comparison....this electric stuff is insane.   but only weighs 12 lbs.  So cars and coffee arent so dramatic here.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:59:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:02:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well, get video, high speed video, in this case.

Have you taken your ride to a Track Day yet?
View Quote
Not yet, still gonna build a in series oil cooler setup so i dont have to worry about 300 deg temps on oil.  I could run about 10 minutes now before oil becomes a  factor.  Eagles canyon raceway.  

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:04:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Where/when did your son go through UPT?

I was a FAIP at Laughlin 2009-2012 timeframe.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:06:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I was #2 on his finny flight he was #4.  I took 7 of his quarters at the range for bombs and 37 nickels from the 3 LAS passes
View Quote

Translation please.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:09:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Translation please.
View Quote
Friendly gentlemans wager/fighter pilot tradition for accuracy on the range.

ETA: I'm not a fighter pilot. But there is history to the nickle coin. "Nickle on the grass" and such things.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:09:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Where/when did your son go through UPT?

I was a FAIP at Laughlin 2009-2012 timeframe.
View Quote
My son was recruited by the AF Academy for football and shot discus etc.  2009-2013.

He went to Vance for pilot training.  

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/bullf-16/jamesAFvsNM_zps2a5ecb9b.jpgreally
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:15:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Friendly gentlemans wager/fighter pilot tradition for accuracy on the range.

ETA: I'm not a fighter pilot. But there is history to the nickle coin. "Nickle on the grass" and such things.
View Quote
Troutman.  You'e a fighter pilot and you know it.  Thanks for what you do now a days.  Jim.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:20:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Troutman.  You'e a fighter pilot and you know it.  Thanks for what you do now a days.  Jim.
View Quote
Well I appreciate the sentiment.   We work hard and fly long hours doing our thing. Not the most exciting flying,  but there are a lot less bad guys out there.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:36:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well I appreciate the sentiment.   We work hard and fly long hours doing our thing. Not the most exciting flying,  but there are a lot less bad guys out there.
View Quote
i know you guys do.  Kill shit without bullshit.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:38:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My son was recruited by the AF Academy for football and shot discus etc.  2009-2013.

He went to Vance for pilot training.  

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh78/bullf-16/jamesAFvsNM_zps2a5ecb9b.jpgreally
View Quote
A long time ago I was an F-15 avionics tech at Eglin and Bitburg.  The highlight of my life was backseat rides in the D model, once at Eglin and once at Duchy.

My oldest boy was also enlisted, now he works UAVs at Creech.

My youngest went to the Academy, '09 grad, UPT at Vance.   Flew 130s for a few years, 3 trips to Afg or Africa.  Now he's a T-6 IP at Columbus.

I have a new grand daughter too.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:08:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Bull did you ever met an Eagle driver with the call sign "Kones"?

My big brother.

From your timeline he was in AFROTC  at VSU  while you were at Moody. Y'all were  close then but the community is relatively small. I believe 'Mach' knew "Kones".

Cool stories, keep them coming.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh, so you guys know each other?

Very cool stories indeed.

I do love how small of a world that it really is when you get out meeting people.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:35:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Very cool!   Must have been really neat to fly a sortie with your pop....  mine retired 22 years before I went in

Does your dad remember the RC121s at Korat?   My dad was with the 553rd recon there in those relics.....    not nearly as exciting as driving a thud!!
View Quote
My uncle was a pilot the 553rd at Korat as well.

PSA: Acronym decoder: ENJJPT= Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training (AF tier 1 flight school)
                                 UPT= Undergraduate Pilot Training (aka flight school)
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

PSA: Acronym decoder: ENJJPT= Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training (AF tier 1 flight school)
View Quote
Possibly quibbling, but I won't concede that Sheppard is our "Tier 1 flight school". Years ago, it was the most competitive to get into, because every assignment was a fighter. This resulted in the kids with the highest college GPAs going to Sheppard - but first hand experience tells me that good grades in college does not equate to being a better flyer. Also, foreign instructors aren't necessarily "tier 1" either. Language barrier?  Im sure those who went to ENJJPT will disagree.

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:50:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

A long time ago I was an F-15 avionics tech at Eglin and Bitburg.  The highlight of my life was backseat rides in the D model, once at Eglin and once at Duchy.

My oldest boy was also enlisted, now he works UAVs at Creech.

My youngest went to the Academy, '09 grad, UPT at Vance.   Flew 130s for a few years, 3 trips to Afg or Africa.  Now he's a T-6 IP at Columbus.

I have a new grand daughter too.
View Quote
Shit, I may have crossed paths with either of both of your sons. I'm at creech now. Had a few years overlap with your youngest son at the academy, and spent some time in 130s as well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Possibly quibbling, but I won't concede that Sheppard is our "Tier 1 flight school". Years ago, it was the most competitive to get into, because every assignment was a fighter. This resulted in the kids with the highest college GPAs going to Sheppard - but first hand experience tells me that good grades in college does not equate to being a better flyer. Also, foreign instructors aren't necessarily "tier 1" either. Language barrier?  Im sure those who went to ENJJPT will disagree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4VCV_z52GU
View Quote
My opinion was based on my college roommate went there in the early 90's. He was probably a bit biased.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My opinion was based on my college roommate went there in the early 90's. He was probably a bit biased.
View Quote
It has historically been the most difficult UPT base to get in to, but it's debatable if the end product is any better (IMO). Awhile ago I think there were even talks of shutting it down. I think Sheppard also kept their tweets for years after every other base went to the T-6.

ETA: it has also lost some of its "prestige" in recent years as less kids want to be fighter pilots.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Bull

Not much of story. Too many bad guys well dug in on high ground.

Phantoms show up and suddenly a lot less bad guys.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Shit, I may have crossed paths with either of both of your sons. I'm at creech now. Had a few years overlap with your youngest son at the academy, and spent some time in 130s as well.
View Quote
I'll shoot you a Pm.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It has historically been the most difficult UPT base to get in to, but it's debatable if the end product is any better (IMO). Awhile ago I think there were even talks of shutting it down. I think Sheppard also kept their tweets for years after every other base went to the T-6.

ETA: it has also lost some of its "prestige" in recent years as less kids want to be fighter pilots.
View Quote
Part of it is lack of fighter slots. We just don't have anywhere near the numbers of fighter aircraft that we used to.

Example: my sons UPT class in 2010.  Approx 30 students, you know how it goes, a few wash out, some go train with the Navy, come come from other places for the second half, etc.  They graduated 26, exactly three got fighter bomber follow on.  Of those three, one got a B-52 slot, the other 2 ended up in UAVs.  Zero fighters from his class of 26.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Part of it is lack of fighter slots. We just don't have anywhere near the numbers of fighter aircraft that we used to.

Example: my sons UPT class in 2010.  Approx 30 students, you know how it goes, a few wash out, some go train with the Navy, come come from other places for the second half, etc.  They graduated 26, exactly three got fighter bomber follow on.  Of those three, one got a B-52 slot, the other 2 ended up in UAVs.  Zero fighters from his class of 26.
View Quote
I am quite familiar with that dynamic - saw lots of UPT classes with similar numbers. Mine included. But that was nearly 10 years ago, and there is more to it today.  A quick Google search will show you that the AF is experiencing a crisis in fighter piloting (and pilots in general) manning. The AF can't keep guys from leaving the service - for a variety of reasons. And this sentiment has found its way into the upcoming generation. Guys don't want the 10 year commitment out of UPT, and for those willing to accept the commitment, they don't want fighter cockpits in the same numbers of the decades previous.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Do the houses on the left as you drive thru the gate still exist?  I was only 12 at the time and a bank was across the street.  I think there were about 4 houses there.  It was awesome because the side of the house was a converted garage with a door that my step bro and me used to use to be total hooligans.

I worked for Jessie Creed in his tobacco fields making 120 bucks a week cropping tobacco.  My older step bro made the same but used to go to the tobacco barn  and gangbang this asian chick with some of the older teens during lunch.  I never saw it, but figured listening to the older dudes that's what was going on.  Hell i was 12.  I made 120 buck a week and spent it all with my bros on base at the Rec Center playing pinball, foosball and ordering us all pizza.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neat.  The closest thing to legacy I encountered is when I was at Moody a guy got assigned to the same unit and I went to BMT with one of his brothers.  All of his siblings were Air Force. 

Also, the base commanders house no longer exists and is a CDC (Child Development Center) now . 
Do the houses on the left as you drive thru the gate still exist?  I was only 12 at the time and a bank was across the street.  I think there were about 4 houses there.  It was awesome because the side of the house was a converted garage with a door that my step bro and me used to use to be total hooligans.

I worked for Jessie Creed in his tobacco fields making 120 bucks a week cropping tobacco.  My older step bro made the same but used to go to the tobacco barn  and gangbang this asian chick with some of the older teens during lunch.  I never saw it, but figured listening to the older dudes that's what was going on.  Hell i was 12.  I made 120 buck a week and spent it all with my bros on base at the Rec Center playing pinball, foosball and ordering us all pizza.  
I was there 2008-2014 and from what I recall, there were two house where the CDC is currently located but they were torn down shortly after my arrival.  I don't know of any bank across the street but there is one soon after entering the base at the north gate. 
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ask him if he remembers Gen Troy Tolbert and SMSGT Beach from Moody  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My old man went back to Nam in the Phantom.  He flew Rhinos from very early 70s to about 78.  He was a Squadron CC at Moody from 75-78 as a major.  He flew Rhinos in Nam, Homestead and Moody.  He probably knows him.  
Ask him if he remembers Gen Troy Tolbert and SMSGT Beach from Moody  
I remember Colonel Tolbert at when I was at Moody.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
He just sent me back this response:

"They came in later, I was at Korat in 67 and they were moved in some time after 68.  They did provide support for the strike packages as we flew into Hanoi and Haiphong.  NOt sure where they were based in 67.  Mabye Cam Rahn bay in South Vietnam.  They flew missions of the coast in the South China Sea".
View Quote
Yup, thats them!  My dad was always thankful that the Vietnamese didn't really consider them a threat, and he attributed it to them not getting shot at like the warplanes.   I think the program actually started in 67, but not sure....  my dad did 68-69, and was not the first rotation by far, but it was a relatively tight lipped program.   He did tell us that the radio geeks in the back had clearances slightly higher than God.   What a small Air Force LOL
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Very cool!  My pop was Flight Engineer on Maj. Ed Lefferts' crew.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Very cool!  My pop was Flight Engineer on Maj. Ed Lefferts' crew.  
View Quote
Yeah, that is pretty cool.

My uncle's name was Lewis Green, probably a Major or LtCol at that time.

I don't know much about what he did, since I was a little dude when I was around him. I wish I knew more.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Damn. I can't remember the names of some new neighbors that introduced themselves weeks ago. Let alone names from a time older than I am.

That shit must really be engrained in there. 
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Damn. I can't remember the names of some new neighbors that introduced themselves weeks ago. Let alone names from a time older than I am.

That shit must really be engrained in there. 
View Quote
Some names will stick with you forever because the individual made some sort of impact on you.  Other people, not so much.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#33]
"I fly CAS so low I come back with grass on my suite."

Reality:
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#34]

My uncle was in a 105 when he was shot down on the first raid of Hanoi.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Great story OP

Ole Buck did more than hand the ball to Herschel.
He is mid day host on 680 The Fan radio here in Atlanta.

Belue to Scott.

Monk
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Legitimately cool story bro.

I wanted to be a fighter pilot when I was a kid. Closest thing I had to "a dream"

Mostly I just liked Janes Falcon on PC
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#37]
oops
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey, it's a good story.

I have a lot of respect for the Triple Nickel, I grew up reading about air-to-air combat in general and fighter action during Vietnam, in particular...so of course the topic of the 555 came up a lot.

One day in 2002 or 2003 we had Richard Stephen "Steve" Ritchie come visit our AFROTC cadet detachment to do a quasi-motivational speech, in which he gave the detachment a signed copy of Speaking of Flying.  I had the honor of getting to personally greet him and accept the book on behalf of our detachment.  He was a cocky but overall decent guy.

Anyway, I guess my point is that it's good to see the legacy of the courage and dedication required for professional airmanship to continue being passed down through generations.  I was a second-rate aviator myself, but if any of my kids show any aptitude for flight I will be happy to see them attempt and succeed at it!  
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4VCV_z52GU
View Quote
BwaaHaaHaaHaaaa

I'm glad you posted that video.   I was debating asking Bullf-16 if some of his students created interesting situations moreso than others.   I went to Laughlin and flew with foreign students.    Nothing more fun than flying THROUGH a full pattern instead of breaking out on top, or gear up landings, or going to 100% in a packed ramp, or breaking both legs by releasing the parachute risers when you're still 40ft above ground.   But those guys sure could party.  Helps when the King gives you $40,000/month for spending money.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don't know much about what he did, since I was a little dude when I was around him. I wish I knew more.
View Quote
Take a look at this page.....  make sure you have a beverage or two ready.....  if you want, you can find out a lot here.....  

Batcat
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Do you know Lt. Col Lape?  (Ret)
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Take a look at this page.....  make sure you have a beverage or two ready.....  if you want, you can find out a lot here.....  

Batcat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Batcat
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#43]
What a great thread! It makes Me proud to have been a member of the Worlds Greatest Air Force.
I thank all of You who have served.

OP: I would of been proud to strap You in, marshal You on Your way, and pop You My best salute.

The Ol' (proud) Crew Chief
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ask if he knows Clay Reid or any of the Reids.  Its a tiny ass town.  My son married his Daughter and they are in Kadena, Okinawa flying C Models

Speaking of big guns....I emptied the Gau-8 34 times in anger.  1174 rounds of pure hate
View Quote
1st, thank you for your service. 

Second, this is something I have always been curious about. What does that gun sound and feel like from inside the plane with all your gear and earpro/headset on?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
1st, thank you for your service. 

Second, this is something I have always been curious about. What does that gun sound and feel like from inside the plane with all your gear and earpro/headset on?
View Quote
Thanks Diesel, 

Shooting the Gau-8 from inside the COCK pit, yes i do that on purpose.... at about 250 or so kias is fairly benign compared to watching the brrrrrrp......brrrrrt from outside.  You only get a high frequency vibration that is not really bad.  The sound is kinda loud but a solid high frequency BBBBWWWWHHHAAAAm I guess.  Again, its much more impressive on youtube vids and even more so from the guys at the strafe pits on the ranges where hogs are doing LAS passes.  To be honest, its not really noticeable while your doing it since you're more concerned on good hits on peace time for nickles ore killing shit in war time.  

BTW.  Ive been staying away here.  I consider this kinda attention whoring stuff so ive been staying away.  But the student in the OP told me today at the sim building that he heard from an IP at a different base that knew of him or his family...was a member here, and read this thread.. and put 2 and 2 together.  He sent him a text and ......what a small world.  CSB and all....

ETA:  The student in the OP is not a gun guy or member here.  He heard from someone here on arfcom who is a member that has connections to the student in the op or one of his connections that from another base.  Pretty cool and what a small world we are all in here.  Thanks GD, for the civility here.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Is this you two?

Pretty cool!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top