Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/23/2017 6:56:12 PM EDT
Had a simulator with an ENJJPT UPT student today.  I've actually had him a few times before but those sorties didnt really allow chit chat since they were early on and pretty formal.  He's about to get his wings so things get a little lighter as far a formality goes.

Anyway, we were talking about what he wanted for his assignment. He said Hogs.  I asked why since everyone nowadays wants Raptors, 35s, Vipers etc.  He said his wife graduated here a year ago and was a Hog driver.  He also has two brothers in the Hog.  I also have 880 hrs in the Hog from way back.

Conversation went into legacy etc since im a 2nd gen fighter pilot and my son is a 3rd gen.    I asked if his dad was an AF guy.  He said no but both grandfathers were Thud drivers from the late 60s.  Both shot down, one a POW for 5 years and one was killed on a sortie.

My old man was a Thud driver from way back and i texted him about it.  He knew both of them and flew out of Korat with the KIA.  My old man was in the 44th TFS and the students grandfather was in the 469th.  Those were real men back then....God Bless Em!  and  to the fallen

My old man also flew Phantoms, Eagles, and retired out of the Viper.  I was #2 on his finny flight he was #4.  I took 7 of his quarters at the range for bombs and 37 nickels from the 3 LAS passes

Yeah, i know CSB.  I thought it was pretty cool, small world and all.  Plus GD seems to love a good aviation thread.  

MAGA!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#1]
That actually is a pretty cool story.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cool!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Way cool!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]
CSB.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That actually is a pretty cool story.
View Quote
Thanks, he actually started to get a little choked up on the sim when i mentioned I was texting my Dad and getting the same info from him as we discussed in the briefing.  Funny, our sim bays are usually pretty dust free...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#6]
So much in common. Neat story.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Very cool!   Must have been really neat to fly a sortie with your pop....  mine retired 22 years before I went in

Does your dad remember the RC121s at Korat?   My dad was with the 553rd recon there in those relics.....    not nearly as exciting as driving a thud!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]
That is a pretty slick story... meeting someone related to someone your pops flew with.

My dad was USAF and was a WSO in Phantom IIs. I know he was in the 555th for a bit, but not sure what other squadrons he may have been in. I think he stopped flying in about 1980 or so when he was assigned to be Torrejon AFB's Inspector General. He did a lot of admin stuff from then on.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Very cool!   Must have been really neat to fly a sortie with your pop....  mine retired 22 years before I went in
View Quote
It was.  I took a bunch of shit from my bros however.  My pops picked up the phone, called my Squadron CC and said make it happen.  It kinda embarassed me since i had just shown up to Spang as a newb Viper driver wingman.  They got over it though.  But i took major ribbing on friday afternoons in the bar.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Does your dad remember the RC121s at Korat?   My dad was with the 553rd recon there in those relics.....    not nearly as exciting as driving a thud!!
View Quote
Just sent him a text.....get back when i can.  Gotta go finish mowing the damn lawn. Fucking grass
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That is a pretty slick story... meeting someone related to someone your pops flew with.

My dad was USAF and was a WSO in Phantom IIs. I know he was in the 555th for a bit, but not sure what other squadrons he may have been in. I think he stopped flying in about 1980 or so when he was assigned to be Torrejon AFB's Inspector General. He did a lot of admin stuff from then on.
View Quote
My old man went back to Nam in the Phantom.  He flew Rhinos from very early 70s to about 78.  He was a Squadron CC at Moody from 75-78 as a major.  He flew Rhinos in Nam, Homestead and Moody.  He probably knows him.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Thats all
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Cool story if I understood one fucking word of what you posted.

I did get the gist that your pops was a bad ass mofo, and that your caddie today while out on the golf course had some ancestors who were likewise bad asses, and he was planning on becoming a pig farmer.

How did I do?

In other words, I have no clue - but I could probably tell you more about some of the electronics used in your birds than most guys you know...and then I'd have to kill you.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cool story if I understood one fucking word of what you posted.

I did get the gist that your pops was a bad ass mofo, and that your caddie today while out on the golf course had some ancestors who were likewise bad asses, and he was planning on becoming a pig farmer.

How did I do?

In other words, I have no clue - but I could probably tell you more about some of the electronics used in your birds than most guys you know...and then I'd have to kill you.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
He just sent me back this response:

"They came in later, I was at Korat in 67 and they were moved in some time after 68.  They did provide support for the strike packages as we flew into Hanoi and Haiphong.  NOt sure where they were based in 67.  Mabye Cam Rahn bay in South Vietnam.  They flew missions of the coast in the South China Sea".
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yah, forgot my smilies!   I know you hear this a bunch of times  but, - thanks for serving.  I would've, but somebody needed to be a pussy, scared of his own shadow and perfecting the art of chairborne. Also I was discriminated against for being built for love, not for speed. I may be 5ft 2in and 245#, but deep under all this fat is rock-hard determination.

Rangers and OSI have NO IDEA what they missed out on when they passed over me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My old man went back to Nam in the Phantom.  He flew Rhinos from very early 70s to about 78.  He was a Squadron CC at Moody from 75-78 as a major.  He flew Rhinos in Nam, Homestead and Moody.  He probably knows him.  
View Quote
Can I ask your dad's name?  I was at Moody working on the sim from March '76 to May '83.  His name might be one of the ones that are familiar to me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Cool story.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Can I ask your dad's name?  I was at Moody working on the sim from March '76 to May '83.  His name might be one of the ones that are familiar to me."
View Quote
"Bear" Chambers.  I lived in those houses just to the left as you drove in the main gate.  I used to take my dads golf clubs and drive balls into the woods behind the house.  Me and my friends used to swim the golf course water hazards and step on the balls and collect them and sell them back to the golfers.  I also had my personal stash.  I was a punk, 12 and 13 yrs old at the time.  My sister dated Buck Belue the QB at Valdosta High.  His claim to fame is handing off the ball to Hershal Walker at UGA for the next 4 years.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Dont know what a hog is or a thud.

But i envy you fighter pilots. Childhood dream that never happened.

I always dreamt of singig ...you lost that loving feeling.. to an old cougar.

Thanks for your service. Beers on me if you ever come to CT.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
He just sent me back this response:

"They came in later, I was at Korat in 67 and they were moved in some time after 68.  They did provide support for the strike packages as we flew into Hanoi and Haiphong.  NOt sure where they were based in 67.  Mabye Cam Rahn bay in South Vietnam.  They flew missions of the coast in the South China Sea".  
View Quote
Danang.  I worked with a guy who started out his AF career on EC-121s and was stationed at Korat and later at Danang.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Great stuff, guys. Thanks for sharing it.

I've got one of these (back at home) from the wife's grandfather.

He started in MX with the 417FBS at Hahn with Yeager as the CO. Went on to FE in C-119s and C-124s. Ended up at the 301FW at Carswell with F-105s through to F-4s, eventually retiring as CCM.

He passed three years ago, but I was fortunate enough to spend the last few years with him talking aviation every chance we got. RIP, Chief.

ETA: 24 ship F-105 flyby @ Carswell AFB, 1981. I found this after he died, but my wife's grandfather is quite possibly one of the good ol' boys heard on the video prior to the flyby.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Great stuff, guys. Thanks for sharing it.

http://ljmilitaria.com/usafwingspatches/71270b900.jpg

I've got one of these (back at home) from the wife's grandfather.

He started in MX with the 417FBS at Hahn with Yeager as the CO. Went on to FE in C-119s and C-124s. Ended up at the 301FW at Carswell with F-105s through to F-4s, eventually retiring as CCM.

He passed three years ago, but I was fortunate enough to spend the last few years with him talking aviation every chance we got. RIP, Chief.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Very cool story.

Please tell me you yelled at him, "King Kong ain't got nothing on me" at least once?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Had a simulator with an ENJJPT UPT student today.  I've actually had him a few times before but those sorties didnt really allow chit chat since they were early on and pretty formal.  He's about to get his wings so things get a little lighter as far a formality goes.

Anyway, we were talking about what he wanted for his assignment. He said Hogs.  I asked why since everyone nowadays wants Raptors, 35s, Vipers etc.  He said his wife graduated here a year ago and was a Hog driver.  He also has two brothers in the Hog.  I also have 880 hrs in the Hog from way back.

Conversation went into legacy etc since im a 2nd gen fighter pilot and my son is a 3rd gen.    I asked if his dad was an AF guy.  He said no but both grandfathers were Thud drivers from the late 60s.  Both shot down, one a POW for 5 years and one was killed on a sortie.

My old man was a Thud driver from way back and i texted him about it.  He knew both of them and flew out of Korat with the KIA.  My old man was in the 44th TFS and the students grandfather was in the 469th.  Those were real men back then....God Bless Em!  and  to the fallen

My old man also flew Phantoms, Eagles, and retired out of the Viper.  I was #2 on his finny flight he was #4.  I took 7 of his quarters at the range for bombs and 37 nickels from the 3 LAS passes

Yeah, i know CSB.  I thought it was pretty cool, small world and all.  Plus GD seems to love a good aviation thread.  

MAGA!
View Quote

Cool story. Been a tough week for Vipers. Was there for the first one Wed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dont know what a hog is or a thud.

But i envy you fighter pilots. Childhood dream that never happened.

I always dreamt of singig ...you lost that loving feeling.. to an old cougar.

Thanks for your service. Beers on me if you ever come to CT.
View Quote
Hog is an A-10 thunderbolt II, and Thud is an F-105 thunderchief.  We never call them by their given names.  F-16 Falcon is the Viper and Eagles, we Viper drivers call it the tennis court, since its that big when under your level IV pipper.  E models we just called baby seals aka Beagle, Mudhen, Dark Eagle.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
"Bear" Chambers.  I lived in those houses just to the left as you drove in the main gate.  I used to take my dads golf clubs and drive balls into the woods behind the house.  Me and my friends used to swim the golf course water hazards and step on the balls and collect them and sell them back to the golfers.  I also had my personal stash.  I was a punk, 12 and 13 yrs old at the time.  My sister dated Buck Belue the QB at Valdosta High.  His claim to fame is handing off the ball to Hershal Walker at UGA for the next 4 years.  
View Quote
I recall Buck Belue.  Last I heard he was back in Valdosta selling Toyotas in '83.

I remember those houses right a the gate as well as the one (base commander's house?) right next to the CBPO building.  I was in the dorms near CBPO.  Nice dorms, since they were built as student pilot dorms instead of enlisted dorms.

I don't recall anyone called "Bear", but I didn't get to hear many pilot's nicknames.  It was always Captain, Major or Colonel.  Was he the commander of a flying squadron or one of the maintenance squadrons?

When I got to fly I flew with the 339th and went up with the squadron ops officer.  I need to look up my certificate to get his name.

My commander, Major Jerry Stalnacker got yanked from one of the flying squadrons and put in charge of the Avionics Maintenance Squadron for his required desk time.  He was a big time Auburn football fan and a great guy to work for.  Hope he got far after his stent behind a desk.

Another name from Moody at the top of my head is Hoy Blanton.  He was a Captain who was the wing sim training officer.  He started out in Thailand flying Phantoms, came back to the states and flew OV-10s at Patrick before coming to Moody.

After he left Moody he moved right up the chain.  I met him a few years later when he was TDY to George flying F-111s at Mountain Home during one of the Desert Warrior exercises held at George.  I met him again at Clark where he was the commander of the 90th Fighter Squadron.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Cool story. Been a tough week for Vipers. Was there for the first one Wed.
View Quote
YOu must be at Ellington?  

Anyway, shit happens.  ACES II FTMFW.  Never had to use in 1880hrs but i know a bunch of dudes and one chick who did.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I recall Buck Belue.  Last I heard he was back in Valdosta selling Toyotas in '83.

I remember those houses right a the gate as well as the one (base commander's house?) right next to the CBPO building.  I was in the dorms near CBPO.  Nice dorms, since they were built as student pilot dorms instead of enlisted dorms.

I don't recall anyone called "Bear", but I didn't get to hear many pilot's nicknames.  It was always Captain, Major or Colonel.  Was he the commander of a flying squadron or one of the maintenance squadrons?

When I got to fly I flew with the 339th and went up with the squadron ops officer.  I need to look up my certificate to get his name.

My commander, Major Jerry Stalnacker got yanked from one of the flying squadrons and put in charge of the Avionics Maintenance Squadron for his required desk time.  He was a big time Auburn football fan and a great guy to work for.  Hope he got far after his stent behind a desk.

Another name from Moody at the top of my head is Hoy Blanton.  He was a Captain who was the wing sim training officer.  He started out in Thailand flying Phantoms, came back to the states and flew OV-10s at Patrick before coming to Moody.

After he left Moody he moved right up the chain.  I met him a few years later when he was TDY to George flying F-111s at Mountain Home during one of the Desert Warrior exercises held at George.  I met him again at Clark where he was the commander of the 90th Fighter Squadron.
View Quote
He was a flying SQ commander.  As a matter of fact, he just attended their 40th reunion a few weeks back at Moody.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#32]
And then did you guys do this?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Hog is the shit, I love big guns... A good friend of mine fly Phantoms, Dragonfly, OV10 and the Hog. He is retired living in Archer City. I'm retired CE so all I did was watch but I did get an incentive flight in a T38 while stationed at Laughlin.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Hog is the suit, I love big guns... A good friend of mine fly Phantoms, Dragonfly, OV10 and the Hog. He is retired living in Archer City.
View Quote
Ask if he knows Clay Reid or any of the Reids.  Its a tiny ass town.  My son married his Daughter and they are in Kadena, Okinawa flying C Models

Speaking of big guns....I emptied the Gau-8 34 times in anger.  1174 rounds of pure hate
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ask if he knows Clay Reid or any of the Reids.  Its a tiny ass town.  My son married his Daughter and they are in Kadena, Okinawa flying C Models
View Quote
I'll ask. That name sounds familiar, I hunt on hi property so I know it's very small.

I just caught that last bit, your so lucky.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Small world.
I hope the kid does well.
View Quote
He busted his transition checkride for descending early on the HI ILS rwy 18 up at Tinker AFB. It was a one item bust with only 4 downgrades so it was actually above avg in the numbers game.   He still has his advanced formation checkride, 4 ship heat to guns checkride and Low level 2 ship checkride.  He is above avg but brainfarts every now and then.  He will get his Hog if one is available but will definitely walk away with a Viper if not.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I'll ask. That name sounds familiar, I hunt on hi property so I know it's very small.
View Quote
Clay Reid manages some really rich dudes ranch of about 25,000 acres.  He asks if i want to come out and shoot Coyotes and pigs, but i prefer mountain hunting.  Ive spent alot of time in the Mountains of New mexico and thats what i prefer.  By myself, hiking way into the thick shit etc pitching a tent, drinking bourbon by a fire......  Texas hunting is meh i guess.  My son has been out there many times and never has shot a thing.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I just caught that last bit, your so lucky.
View Quote
He just started 2 FLUG (2 ship flight lead upgrade)  He's freaking out and im loving it.  Its a shit ton of stress!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Buck Belue has a very popular sports talk show on AM 680 in Atlanta.  He's really good at it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#41]
It would be a way cooler story bro if I understood half your flyboy jargon. 

But it still reads pretty well to my old eyes. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Buck Belue has a very popular sports talk show on AM 680 in Atlanta.  He's really good at it.
View Quote
My sister was a cheerleader for Lowndes High dating the hated rival's QB over at Valdosta High. It was interesting to say the least.  He used to come over to the house and i gave him the evil eye big time.  He just laughed at my weak ass.  I went to HaHira Jr high which is where i started my football journey.  All i remember is it was hot as fuck and back then, no water breaks, cause water is for pussies!    Ill text her and see if she still is in contact with him.  He was definitely a sharp kid back then and at UGA....though he was in Hershel's shadow.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#43]
So many acronyms, so much jargon nobody else understands.  CSB, but how'd you type all that without your hands dogfighting?  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So many acronyms, so much jargon nobody else understands.  CSB, but how'd you type all that without your hands dogfighting?  
View Quote
How else are you supposed to instruct the use of lead, lag, pure pursuit curves and lo and hi yoyo's to employ heat and guns.  OH,  and the dreaded quater plane and zoom (if you're executing that), you're about to go from offense to defense btw, and have a real shitty debrief or day in real life.     Hands are an art form and really paint a great 3d picture.  

ETA:  The jargon is pretty much a foreign language for those not "in the know"  but that applies to many many jobs, activities, professions.  I dont even realize im doing it.

I do think google will recognize most of the acronyms, to me they are just common words that should be in the Oxford dictionary
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:45:42 PM EDT
[#45]
When did you fly Hogs? Ever at Bentwaters?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a small military.

So what does all that (quoted) mean?

I once had a female west pointer blow me up and damn near lost her commission.  A few classes later I was talking about this "dumbfuck" lieutenant and how to not do what she did, no names but lots of cussing.  One of the guys in the back asks what her name was, he was her brother.  I was glad I didn't get too carried away with my description.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
When did you fly Hogs? Ever at Bentwaters?
View Quote
Aug89- June 92, Myrtle Beach SC.  Aug 90-Mar 91 at King Fahd intl airport is support of Desert Shield/Desert Storm.   The Bentwaters Hogs i believe flew out of Incirlik after the war.  I may be wrong.  Long time ago.  The hogs from Alexandria La England AFB were with us at King Fahd but they arrived well well after we did.  We were the first US boots on the ground in Saudi along with the Eagles from Langley, they flew into Riyad.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It's a small military.

So what does all that (quoted) mean?

I once had a female west pointer blow me up and damn near lost her commission.  A few classes later I was talking about this "dumbfuck" lieutenant and how to not do what she did, no names but lots of cussing.  One of the guys in the back asks what her name was, he was her brother.
View Quote
What in particular, lots of quotes so far up in here
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#49]
If the Airforce has a CSB ribbon, that story earns it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:25:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I was #2 on his finny flight he was #4.  I took 7 of his quarters at the range for bombs and 37 nickels from the 3 LAS passes!
View Quote

This quote
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top