Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Well done Dad.  Your son will be fine. He is joining a brotherhood that dates back to Nov10, 1775. And by the way his birth certificate might list a different date, but when he graduates Boot Camp his birthday will be Nov 10 for the rest of his life.

I spent my 19th birthday running up and down Mount MF at  Camp Pendleton.

SEMPER FI
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:-snipped the uncalled for bullshit-
View Quote
Way to shit in the guy's thread you "Old Corps" Salt. Semper Fi.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Sorry they're messing around with his career already, good luck to him
View Quote
Having been in Security Forces myself I am afraid this is kind of true. Tell him to beg for an overseas duty station. Unfortunately if he is really clean cut he will likely be at a Naval Submarine Base. The worst duty I ever had by far. I wanted to stay in the U.S. because of a girl but now know I should have pleaded for London or Iceland or even Diego Garcia.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations and welcome aboard.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Spent my 19th birthday on the quarterdeck.....BEST. PARTY. EVER!!!
View Quote
They didn't know it was my birthday, but I still got thrashed... Of course we got thrashed everyday.  We were out in the field, and the highlight of the day was the five mile hump (hike with packs) to the gas chamber.

Good times.  Seriously, those were great times.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:21:04 PM EDT
[#6]
God bless.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well done dad.

Txl
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good deal dad.  How old is he? 
View Quote
He'll turn 19 in early July.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

One of his best friends just got home from boot camp. According to what he was told, July through August is hot as Hell, but the sand fleas won't be bothering him because it is too hot for them then. Small comfort I think lol.
View Quote
Good job dad! That's some BS about the sand fleas though... send him some Avon Skin So Soft as soon as you can...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sorry they're messing around with his career already, good luck to him
View Quote
He actually wanted an infantry MOS when he first signed up, but was told there was no openings then, so he signed up for Combat Engineer. As was mentioned by another poster, Security Forces is a secondary and his primary is infantry, so he isn't really upset.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good job dad! That's some BS about the sand fleas though... send him some Avon Skin So Soft as soon as you can...
View Quote
Is he allowed to receive things like that? He told me not to send candy lol.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Stencil dicks on letters you send him while in boot camp, would also help if you write drill Sargents suck on outside of envelopes.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Stencil dicks on letters you send him while in boot camp, would also help if you write drill Sargents suck on outside of envelopes.
View Quote
I'm sure he will appreciate anything I can do to ingratiate him to the camp staff.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#14]
"He has never smoked, never done drugs, only recently shown an interest in having a beer or two and never been in trouble with the law."

Rest easy, that's all about to change.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Having been in Security Forces myself I am afraid this is kind of true. Tell him to beg for an overseas duty station. Unfortunately if he is really clean cut he will likely be at a Naval Submarine Base. The worst duty I ever had by far. I wanted to stay in the U.S. because of a girl but now know I should have pleaded for London or Iceland or even Diego Garcia.
View Quote
I'll relay your advice. He wants to see the world, has made sure he isn't tied to female before he goes (although as mentioned earlier, he seems to be trying to hit every girl in town before he goes and this seems to have upset someone as one of his Jeep tires got stabbed in the sidewall Wednesday ), and is ready to get out of this little burg.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One of his best friends just got home from boot camp. According to what he was told, July through August is hot as Hell, but the sand fleas won't be bothering him because it is too hot for them then. Small comfort I think lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Way to go Pops.

But I can't imagine a worse time to be at Paris Island than July.
They import them if there aren't enough around.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lol.....FYI bro.....marine security forces is a B billet.....his main MOS will be infantry.....03??

Security forces will last 2 years then off to the fleet with you........

Best time of my life.....

Thank him for his service
033111/8152 here
View Quote
Samesies
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry about it, he won't have time to apply it anyway.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Congrats dad!! Be proud brother.  You've done good.  He'll be fine.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
LoL..you send something that says SKIN SO SOFT and he will get ragged on pretty hard.

Send him letters, he will not have time or use for much else. Letters are what get ppl thru boot camp, they did me.

Also , since he was ROTC, is he getting automatic grade increase upon graduation ? Meaning, is he going in as an E-2 or E-3 ? or just E -1. If he goes in as E-2 and is shit hot, its possible to move up in rank pretty quick. Also depending on MOS, that alone can decide if he is in an MOS that promotes. When I was in, the old salty O311s were moving over out of the infantry field because they were frozen in their ranks.

USMC 89-93
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Way to go Dad! Arfcom is proud of your son.

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Send him an audio card that is really loud and says "what do you mean your Drill Instructor is a pussy?"
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

LoL..you send something that says SKIN SO SOFT and he will get ragged on pretty hard.

Send him letters, he will not have time or use for much else. Letters are what get ppl thru boot camp, they did me.

Also , since he was ROTC, is he getting automatic grade increase upon graduation ? Meaning, is he going in as an E-2 or E-3 ? or just E -1. If he goes in as E-2 and is shit hot, its possible to move up in rank pretty quick. Also depending on MOS, that alone can decide if he is in an MOS that promotes. When I was in, the old salty O311s were moving over out of the infantry field because they were frozen in their ranks.

USMC 89-93
View Quote
Yeah, I've never been in the military, so a lot of that is Greek to me, but he did say he would graduate a grade higher than if he had not been ROTC, so he has that going for him. I do know this is what he wants, has really enjoyed the ROTC experience, went to all the extras offered by them (Leadership Academy, etc) and graduated as the highest rank in the Navy ROTC program (Commander I think? ), and the Marines is all he has talked about and worked toward  since junior high. He is in great shape, and according to his recruiter, he can already pass all the physical strength requirements. I'm sure he will be fine, but I am his dad, I will worry about his well being until the day I die, maybe longer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It'll be alright. My younger brethren will see to it that he learns all about strippers, jack shacks, and drinking.
View Quote
And sharpie art.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like a job well done, Dad.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

USMC 89-93
View Quote
Eh, I went in with nothing. E1.

I got time in service E2, then the next day at SOI graduation I got a meritorious E3
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#27]
His new daddy waits....

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Congratulations - I'm sure you're proud of him.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Good job Dad.
He'll be fine.
They've got antibiotics for just about everything now
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Good for you and your son!

When he finished boot camp, ask him about the sand spurs.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I hope his last name isnt Wagner.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Congratulations - I'm sure you're proud of him.
View Quote
Unbelievably so.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not even close. Is being a Wagner a bad thing?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Sounds like you did an excellent job raising your son, OP.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#35]
The Marines were the best thing that ever happen to my son.  Tell your son to keep his head down and his mouth shut.   My son did not and his name was known the first night of boot camp.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
He has been a wonderful son, and I am very proud of him and the choices he has made in his life, but you can't expect me to be happy watching him drive away on Monday.
View Quote

Watching them take those first steps to manhood is a nerve wracking ordeal but worth it in the end.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Your anxiety now will pale in comparison to the joy and pride when you see him on Graduation Day. My Dad is 77, he still talks about when he first saw me at the airport. Never saw a man so proud.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think so; but a name like Lovelace is. I went through boot camp with a poor guy who's last was Lovelace. Back then your last name was stenciled across your sweat shirt; he caught shit from everyone because The movie Deep Throat had just been released.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Congratulations, you raised a soldier.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:52:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Congratulations, and thank your son for his commitment on our behalf!

My sister made a scrap book of the letters her two sons sent home from PI.  Keep what you get, as it will be great to whip out in 5-10 yrs!

We attended graduation for our two nephews.  Great experience.  Stay in touch do you know all the events planned.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Good on ya OP for raising a good son and thank him for his service.  When I left for San Diego MCRD in 1989 my old man told me not to let them run me to death and that they couldn't eat me.  It was good advice.  I miss my old man.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Like hell he did.

Someone report this guy for the personal insult
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Sorry if no one gave enough of a shit to be there for you, life sucks for some people.
View Quote
My only left 5 weeks ago
I graduated 3rd battalion 37 years ago
I was more than a little choked up saying goodbye
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:02:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Like hell he did.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like hell he did.

It's on like Donkey Kong!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The Marines were the best thing that ever happen to my son.  Tell your son to keep his head down and his mouth shut.   My son did not and his name was known the first night of boot camp.
View Quote
That's pretty much the advice I gave him-Pay attention to instructions and do exactly as you're told as well as you can possibly do it and don't attract attention to yourself if you can at all help it. Also, he likes to get a laugh, forget about that and don't try to clown or you'll pay for it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Don't worry OP, he is leaving a boy and will come back a man.  You will be more proud of him than ever!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The Marine recruiter will leave with my son Sunday at 6am headed for MEPS Louisville KY. I will drive up Monday morning and at 9am I will witness my only son and only child swear in to serve in the United States Marine Corps. I will have lunch with him, and then he will board the bus for the drive to Parris Island SC for Marine Corps boot camp. He originally signed up for Combat Engineer, but as his ship date came up, there were no openings and his MOS was changed to Marine Security Forces.

He has never smoked, never done drugs, only recently shown an interest in having a beer or two and never been in trouble with the law. He has been interested in military service since junior high school, and was in ROTC all four years of high school.

His life is about to dramatically change and so is mine. I have been a single father and had sole custody of him since he was 4. It is going to be very hard seeing him go and not having him here.

He has been a wonderful son, and I am very proud of him and the choices he has made in his life, but you can't expect me to be happy watching him drive away on Monday.
View Quote

I'm going to let you in on a secret.

He's going to be just fine.  3 months from now, you are going to be so proud of him you won't be able to talk straight.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry, but I am glad you heard it from us-people that care......
Wagner,  well........

He

Likes......

the cock.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
. Also, he likes to get a laugh, forget about that and don't try to clown or you'll pay for it.
View Quote
Drill Instructors have no zero sense of humor when it comes to the recruits, hopefully he doesnt get singled out for being a goof, it would be a miserable 3 months if so. They barely knew my name when I graduated boot, it was great, I wasnt the best, nor the worst, right there in the middle. Perfect place to be, lol.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top