Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/23/2017 6:52:57 PM EDT
The Marine recruiter will leave with my son Sunday at 6am headed for MEPS Louisville KY. I will drive up Monday morning and at 9am I will witness my only son and only child swear in to serve in the United States Marine Corps. I will have lunch with him, and then he will board the bus for the drive to Parris Island SC for Marine Corps boot camp. He originally signed up for Combat Engineer, but as his ship date came up, there were no openings and his MOS was changed to Marine Security Forces.

He has never smoked, never done drugs, only recently shown an interest in having a beer or two and never been in trouble with the law. He has been interested in military service since junior high school, and was in ROTC all four years of high school.

His life is about to dramatically change and so is mine. I have been a single father and had sole custody of him since he was 4. It is going to be very hard seeing him go and not having him here.

He has been a wonderful son, and I am very proud of him and the choices he has made in his life, but you can't expect me to be happy watching him drive away on Monday.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
It'll be alright. My younger brethren will see to it that he learns all about strippers, jack shacks, and drinking.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Best wishes to you and your son.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Well done dad.

Txl
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you have done a damn good job pop.....  I know its not easy to let go, but it sure is nice to know that his head is screwed on straight and that he is looking towards an honest profession, rather than being a shiftless loser like so many kids are today.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#6]
It'll be hard but you'll get through it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#7]
As an insulin dependent diabetic who wanted to but couldn't serve.....thank YOU. Obviously thanks to your son for serving us. But also thank you. You are supporting and putting up your son for a high duty. I am sure he will be fine, and it will make him an even stronger and better man.

And on a lighter side.....man, a lot of chicks dig a guy in uniform. Got to look on the bright side.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Can he draw a dick using a sharpie?

Wish him good luck!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Is he into guns at all? Maybe look forward to his graduation, plan to do something with him then.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrats.
You should be very proud.

Enjoy the break. You've earned it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As an insulin dependent diabetic who wanted to but couldn't serve.....thank YOU. Obviously thanks to your son for serving us. But also thank you. You are supporting and putting up your son for a high duty. I am sure he will be fine, and it will make him an even stronger and better man.

And on a lighter side.....man, a lot of chicks dig a guy in uniform. Got to look on the bright side.
View Quote
Oh man, he doesn't need any help in that department. He's been busy trying to bang every chic he knows before he leaves and had more than a little success. He is not shy around the ladies lol.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Marineparents.com

Ask me how I know. Lol
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Which color crayon is his favorite to eat?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is he into guns at all? Maybe look forward to his graduation, plan to do something with him then.
View Quote
Oh yeah. He never had much choice in that matter, he IS my son. He's been shooting since he was 5. I told him that now they would teach him the right way.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#15]
God bless you and your son.
It's a huge sacrifice on your behalf.
Being ROTC he probably knew early what he wanted, and that is good.
True Americans. Both.
God bless America.
Thank him for his service.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Be proud OP

It's gonna be tough but he's doing something great

God Bless
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Corps has an "s" on the end... so you should probably get that right starting ASAFP. 

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#18]
That is awesome!

Side note:. Don't drive to NC for his graduation.  Paris Island is in SC.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Corps has an "s" on the end... so you should probably get that right starting ASAFP. 

View Quote
I'll fix that
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Semper Fi!

He'll be ok
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That is awesome!

Side note:. Don't drive to NC for his graduation.  Paris Island is in SC.
View Quote
Fixed that too.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Been there, done that. My Marine son is completing his fourth year of a five year contract  - and he is re-enlisting for at least four more. Send him letters of encouragement during boot camp - it will help his morale tremendously knowing dad has his back! Just don't send him a bunch of "I miss you crap" and make him feel homesick.   Welcome to the family!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can he draw a dick using a sharpie?

Wish him good luck!
View Quote
He can actually draw pretty well, he should have no problems with that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Semper Fi.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Been there, done that. My Marine son is completing his fourth year of a five year contract  - and he is re-enlisting for at least four more. Send him letters of encouragement during boot camp - it will help his morale tremendously knowing dad has his back! Just don't send him a bunch of "I miss you crap" and make him feel homesick.   Welcome to the family!
View Quote
Yeah, not going to do that. He knows I will miss him, he doesn't need a reminder. I HAVE been requested not to mention that he will be in boot camp for his 19th birthday in any letter to him.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Congrats op. You may be upset now but you think you're proud of him now, just wait till you see him at graduation.

Eta. Don't be upset if he doesn't call you much in basic. I refused to stand in line at the payphones during basic because talking to my family on the phone gave me a bout of homesickness every time. It was much easier to limit my call time and focus on my training to make things easier.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Congrats on raising a fine young man OP!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Way to go Pops.

But I can't imagine a worse time to be at Paris Island than July.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Way to go Pops.

View Quote
One of his best friends just got home from boot camp. According to what he was told, July through August is hot as Hell, but the sand fleas won't be bothering him because it is too hot for them then. Small comfort I think lol.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Congrats on a successful upbringing. You should indeed be proud!

My regards to you both. 'MERICA, eh? 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I was there in June through the beginning of September. I promise him the sand fleas will be there. When some asshole decides to slap one and they all end up in the pit tell him not to be too angry, they were going to the pit regardless.

And for the love of God don't send him any food!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah, not going to do that. He knows I will miss him, he doesn't need a reminder. I HAVE been requested not to mention that he will be in boot camp for his 19th birthday in any letter to him.
View Quote
How ironic, my son had his birthday 4 weeks after he arrived @ MCRD San Diego.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#33]
You're going to drive up to MEPS?

you're going to watch him take the oath? 

You're going to take him to lunch?

I bet you'll cry when he graduates too, won't you?

Things sure have changed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Spent my 19th birthday on the quarterdeck.....BEST. PARTY. EVER!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Congrats OP. Sounds like you did an excellent job dad 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#36]
To his safe return
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Lol.....FYI bro.....marine security forces is a B billet.....his main MOS will be infantry.....03??

Security forces will last 2 years then off to the fleet with you........

Best time of my life.....

Thank him for his service
0331/8152 here
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Well done dad.  You are sending in a boy.  Will get back a man.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You're going to drive up to MEPS?

you're going to watch him take the oath? 

You're going to take him to lunch?

I bet you'll cry when he graduates too, won't you?

Things sure have changed.
View Quote
Sorry if no one gave enough of a shit to be there for you, life sucks for some people.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#40]

You did good.you should be proud.congrats

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
One of his best friends just got home from boot camp. According to what he was told, July through August is hot as Hell, but the sand fleas won't be bothering him because it is too hot for them then. Small comfort I think lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Way to go Pops.

I've never been there, but it will be hot, humid and ticks aplenty
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Son is going to be fine. Parent is going to be  nervous wreck for a few days.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Anchors Aweigh and The Marines' Hymn
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#44]

Time to celebrate, and pray daily.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:59:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The Marine recruiter will leave with my son Sunday at 6am headed for MEPS Louisville KY. I will drive up Monday morning and at 9am I will witness my only son and only child swear in to serve in the United States Marine Corps. I will have lunch with him, and then he will board the bus for the drive to Parris Island SC for Marine Corps boot camp. He originally signed up for Combat Engineer, but as his ship date came up, there were no openings and his MOS was changed to Marine Security Forces.

He has never smoked, never done drugs, only recently shown an interest in having a beer or two and never been in trouble with the law. He has been interested in military service since junior high school, and was in ROTC all four years of high school.

His life is about to dramatically change and so is mine. I have been a single father and had sole custody of him since he was 4. It is going to be very hard seeing him go and not having him here.

He has been a wonderful son, and I am very proud of him and the choices he has made in his life, but you can't expect me to be happy watching him drive away on Monday.
View Quote

SemperFi, Godspeed young Marine!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Thank you and congratulations.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#48]
God bless you and your son.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Good deal dad.  How old is he? 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top