Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/23/2017 6:34:11 PM EDT
I've always had a PC desktop and have built 4 machines since early 2000. I built my last PC in 2009; although, I've upgraded a lot of it since then. I don't play PC games anymore except an occasional Steam game, and I rarely use the PC for work purposes. It's pretty much just a shopping online or surfing ARF machine now.

So, I'm at the point where I think it's time for a major upgrade. I was thinking of transitioning entirely to a laptop or tablet. A major selling point to this for me is to free up space in my home by getting rid of, or repurposing, my computer desk (the minimalist GD thread may have something to do with this).

I think I'll miss having a custom PC though. The few times a year I get to sit down with a beer and tinker with the hardware are extremely relaxing, satisfying, and nostalgic.

What sayith the hive? Any former PC gamers here still build custom rigs? Anyone make the transition and regret it?

I know typical ARFCOM fashion is to get both, but I just don't see the need to have a desktop setup taking up space when I won't use it much, in addition to having to spend money on upgrading its aging parts.

Edit: oh and I forgot to add that I'm actually leaning towards a MacBook or iPad
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't had a desktop in the house in years, and I work on the things.

I miss them for gaming, that's about it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't had a desktop for years either. Macbook Pro and an iPad. The Macbook Pro is the new 15" Touchbar model and it is very powerful. Discrete graphics card and 16gb of ram, it can easily handle anything I throw at it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve got one of the new 10.5” iPad Pros (with a little Logitech Bluetooth keyboard) that I use as my “main” device. I actually use it for a lot of work stuff too. I still have a desktop computer at work that I use for stuff that is just impossible on the iPad or is really a pain in the ass. I also have a fancy gaming PC at home for actual gaming. Overall, the iPad really can’t replace a desktop for 100% of the things you might need to do, but you can do a surprisingly large amount of work on it and it’s really handy to have a small, light setup with great battery life. 

You mentioned a laptop... that gives you more options since you can (if you don’t mind the weight) get ones that really do have desktop-style power and with external monitors and other accessories you really could replace a desktop.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:39:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I miss the big dual screens most. If I spent a fortune on a laptop and got one with a docking station I might be able to get them back, but the added cost would more than pay for a good desktop.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I got one for gaming. Everything else I can accomplish reasonably well on my Nexus 6P. I do have a laptop, but it's 5 years old. It's pretty good at collecting dust now.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't had a desktop for years either. Macbook Pro and an iPad. The Macbook Pro is the new 15" Touchbar model and it is very powerful. Discrete graphics card and 16gb of ram, it can easily handle anything I throw at it.
View Quote
being homebound, I spend lots of time on here...but 4 months ago spilled water on my old 13' Mac air..since then been doing everything on a cheap iPad that my mom got with her phone...anyway, the family got together and got me a new 15" maxed out MacBook Pro...like yours loaded with 2.9 I-7 , 16 g memory and radeon 560 card...its a bad boy..very happy with it and so much better then my old stuff.....
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I still run a desktop, mostly for media stuff that hogs CPU cycles and I/O.

But since I got my laptop, it is my go to machine. It's a beast, so I don't take it with me too much, but when I do it's a full on desktop to go.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL, you can't have both? I have my 27" monitor high performance desktop with tons of storage capacity for photography/photoshop work and my phone for mobility. Seems a no brainer to me.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Pretty much exclusively on my Samsung Tablet A, but there are enough compatability issues that I still have to bust out the old Toshiba laptop every so often.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I've used nothing but a 15" MAC Book Pro for several years.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The last 12 years I have been using high end Alienware laptops instead of desktops because i needed to be mobile and wanted to game. Its nice but I dont like the extremely limited upgrade ability laptops are even the high end ones where you can. I suggest to pay a premium and get a laptop that has desktop like performance and where you can tinker/upgrade it so you can continue to use it for years after you bought it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been laptop only (MacBook Pro) since last August. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Typing is a nightmare on tablets. Don't know how you guys use one as your primary computer. I only use a tablet in bed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Typing is a nightmare on tablets. Don't know how you guys use one as your primary computer. I only use a tablet in bed.
View Quote
For short stuff like this it’s not bad. For daily and work use I have one of the little Logitech Bluetooth keyboards and it’s actually really nice. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought the newest MacBook and ditched my desktop.

I travel too much, and that thing is just ridiculously thin.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Even in bed, I've got my 11" MacBook Air. The iPad can be a pain.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a tablet running Windows 10, but I mostly use it for travel. I still use a laptop, primarily.

ETA: The three main reasons that I bought a tablet are travel related. They are lighter and smaller than most laptops, they (usually) don't need to be removed from carry-on bags at TSA checkpoints, and they can be charged from a variety of sources (cell phone chargers, portable boosters, etc.). If you get a tablet an optional keyboard and a Bluetooth mouse, you basically have a small laptop.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Cant run the latest games at 120+ fps (Desktop) on a tablet

Had a tablet at one point for watching movies in bed.  It broke.  Meh back to using the laptop for that hehe.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:54:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Cant run the latest games at 120+ fps (Desktop) on a tablet

Had a tablet at one point for watching movies in bed.  It broke.  Meh back to using the laptop for that hehe.
View Quote
My tablet has a 120Hz refresh rate, I wouldn’t be surprised if it could run some games at that frame rate. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I downsized years ago to an Asus gaming laptop, with a gaming kb and mouse, that is hooked into my 50" tv. I have a few external drives laying around for overflow stuff. SSD is a MUST.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I miss the big dual screens most. If I spent a fortune on a laptop and got one with a docking station I might be able to get them back, but the added cost would more than pay for a good desktop.
View Quote
You can get a USB dock for the laptop that has dual screen outputs.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Switched from a laptop to a tablet about 4 years ago. It does everything I need it to do but better.

If I need to use an actual computer for something like a shitload of typing then I'll use the one in my office at work.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

Typing at length on a laptop is far far easier than on a tablet.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#25]
On a laptop now. Thinkpad Yoga 12. Flips over and can be a tablet.
Haven't used a desktop in years
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Hell Yes 13.3 asus zenbook off of amazon ..weighs 3 lbs thin and fast as can be. Gave up the desktop YEARS ago, sit in front of the tv and surf with laptop
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Meh, I've been on a Laptop for a few years but will probably invest more into a desktop when the new iMac Pro comes out.

Still love my laptop, and currently setting up a NAS, so the goal is to be able to have any device available for any purpose, anywhere. Over the last four years since I've been laptop only, I've slowly been migrating to utilizing my laptop in the role of a laptop. It's been great, but I think with availability of more and more cloud based solutions my particular setup is becoming less optimized.

More than likely setup by the end of the year(already have a good chunk of this) will be:

Home:
NAS with >40TB
iMac Pro + numerous monitors(vertical)
MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar
iPad(Mainly as a Home Automation terminal, in addition to remote panel for IP Cameras)
VPN Setup with remote access
Gateway for IP phone remotely from Home(Work Phone)

Work:
iMac Pro mirroring exact setup at Home
(Obviously) NAS/VPN for remote access from Home

The end desired goal is as close to a seamless experience working from two locations as possible, maintaining a similar workflow.

Every time I introduce a tablet into my system, it never really works as well as I'd want it to. I tend to either go for the computer or straight for my phone. From what I've seen with the new updates, as well as the increased capabilities/power of Tablets, I could see it completely replacing my laptop in my portable go-between my two eventual desktop setups.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#28]
the future is desktop server + full OS tablet.  very, very few people actually require laptop capability.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've been laptop only (MacBook Pro) since 2010  last August
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
the future is desktop server + full OS tablet.  very, very few people actually require laptop capability.
View Quote
I feel like you're partially correct, but I think it will be more all encompassing than that.

Server + numerous available access points(Tablets, Mobile Devices, whatever computer you desire, media devices).

Everything linked through one central hub, which will essentially be a server.

I have a feeling that as AI-like technology grows, you will eventually have OS's that operate and restructure themselves around you, your uses, and your personality. You won't even have to configure things, they will just do it on their own accord.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been using a Kindle Fire HD for years now.  Don't miss a computer much at all.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#32]
One thing to keep in mind, the iPad wI'll require a computer id you ever need to restore iOS. 

I have a MacBook Pro (13") as my main computer but use my iPad mini more then the MacBook. 
Work provides me several macs, any model I choose and so I have a few of those around and a Mac mini that I run OS X Server on to save on data usage with all the devices. Still, I use the iPad more. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I used to build computers for personal use.  They kept blowing up.  Now I use my laptop.  The Dell XPS 13 is amazing.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
except when it comes to creating content.  Still need a keyboard to make that fun and easy instead of a nightmare of frustration.

ETA:  I wonder how many people who claim "a tablet is all nearly everyone will need" can type.  If you know how to type, a tablet is frustrating for typing and a keyboard is sublime.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, when I joined the Army in 2005, I thought about building a desktop, but had kids... I like that I can put the laptop up away from the little ones. Eventually, I'll go back to a desktop now that I'm out and they're starting to get old enough.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#37]
BTDT, went back to a desktop for most stuff.  Data storage, backups, media server, photo/video editing, etc is tough to do well with just a laptop.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't think I'll get another desktop.

Hell, 95% of what I do can be done well on the iPad Pros.

Occasionally, I need the computing power of a laptop. But I mainly use the laptop a lot because..... I can just comfortably have it on my LAP (or stomach/bed when I'm lying in bed).

PS: For travel nowadays, I just bring my iPad Pro.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

except when it comes to creating content.  Still need a keyboard to make that fun and easy instead of a nightmare of frustration.

ETA:  I wonder how many people who claim "a tablet is all nearly everyone will need" can type.  If you know how to type, a tablet is frustrating for typing and a keyboard is sublime.
View Quote
Right now? Absolutely. But technology will more than likely reach a point where the input device is unnecessary and just another barrier between you and the machine.

I can type fairly fast on a iPad, but certainly prefer muh MX Browns.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've been using a Kindle Fire HD for years now.  Don't miss a computer much at all.
View Quote
I do the Damn spell check sux ass. I still got laptops but I am going to build a decent desktop.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Intel NUC running mint Linux.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've always had a PC desktop and have built 4 machines since early 2000. I built my last PC in 2009; although, I've upgraded a lot of it since then. I don't play PC games anymore except an occasional Steam game, and I rarely use the PC for work purposes. It's pretty much just a shopping online or surfing ARF machine now.

So, I'm at the point where I think it's time for a major upgrade. I was thinking of transitioning entirely to a laptop or tablet. A major selling point to this for me is to free up space in my home by getting rid of, or repurposing, my computer desk (the minimalist GD thread may have something to do with this).

I think I'll miss having a custom PC though. The few times a year I get to sit down with a beer and tinker with the hardware are extremely relaxing, satisfying, and nostalgic.

What sayith the hive? Any former PC gamers here still build custom rigs? Anyone make the transition and regret it?

I know typical ARFCOM fashion is to get both, but I just don't see the need to have a desktop setup taking up space when I won't use it much, in addition to having to spend money on upgrading its aging parts.

Edit: oh and I forgot to add that I'm actually leaning towards a MacBook or iPad
View Quote

I've got a couple of laptops I use for work, but there is no way I'd one to use one all the time.   Desktop when I can, laptop when I can't have a desktop.  Tablet or phone othrwise.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I play games, so I have a desktop.

I also have dual 27" monitors, although a docking station could handle that.

I tend to use my phone more often than my tablet for casual browsing on the couch.  I ought to get an iPad mini or similar.

I have a laptop for work, but I only really use it when I'm traveling.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Haven't touched my MacBook Pro since I retired.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#45]
If by recently, you mean 5 years ago, then yes, I've recently made that switch. I do have a laptop that I use daily, but it serves two purposes; printing UPS/FedEx/USPS labels off of a zebra label printer which I haven't figured out how to do with an android device yet and scanning items on my printer which I also haven't figured out how to do on android yet. All other printing duties go through my tablet or phone though.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If by recently, you mean 5 years ago, then yes, I've recently made that switch. I do have a laptop that I use daily, but it serves two purposes; printing UPS/FedEx/USPS labels off of a zebra label printer which I haven't figured out how to do with an android device yet and scanning items on my printer which I also haven't figured out how to do on android yet. All other printing duties go through my tablet or phone though.
View Quote
Just have to get specific printers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a desktop with 3 23" screens at my home office and work office.  They actually are direct copies of each other.  I also have 4 IP Phones at each work station etc.

I have a laptop that I either put in a ram mount in the truck or carry it with me when traveling.

Other than that I use my phone.

I am not a tablet fan.  I had an iPad and gave it to my wife.

All of my work trucks have tablets in them because everything we do is web based and android tablets are cheap.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#48]
no, I need a real machine at times.  Desktops at home are a 1700X with 32 gigs of ram and a 6700K with 16 gigs of ram.  Besides gaming, I do some major h.265 encoding jobs on it.

2015 macbook pro is my mobile for personal and work stuff.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
who creates content away from home or office?  almost everyone i know does their real computational- or input-intensive tasks at home or office.  their actual mobile usage is minimal--email, web browsing, and social media, with maybe occasional text or spreadsheet work.

so when was the last time you created spreadsheet macros at a coffee shop or the airport?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Lol. I haven't had a desktop since '04
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top