Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/23/2017 2:00:39 PM EDT
Am I being too impatient here? I agreed to buy an M9A1 off Armslist 15 days ago. I sent the MO 14 days ago. The guy got it 12 days ago, but didn't get into his FFL that weekend. He supposedly says he had a last minute business trip 10 days ago. Emails me that he dropped the pistol at his FFL 6 days ago, and then cashed the MO. I emailed him 2 days ago asking for a tracking number as he didn't provide one (no response). I emailed him yesterday asking for a tracking number or the name of his dealer so I could take care of it myself (no response).

As of today, I still haven't seen the pistol. It shouldn't take that long to get from eastern Alabama to eastern Iowa. 

What at say the hive? I have his name and address, no phone number. What should be my next step? Report fraud to USPS if I don't hear anything within the next week or two?

Thanks 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#2]
You sent money for a buy off Armslist

Yeah, you got taken. Also, that prince in Nigeria isn't really sending you that money.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Has your transfer dealer sent a copy of his FFL to the sending FFL yet?

ETA: Armslist?  Oh shit...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#4]
That's why I never pay with MOs.

CC or cash in hand, product in hand.   Can easily chargeback CC for my $ back. Good luck with a MO.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:04:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has your transfer dealer sent a copy of his FFL to the sending FFL yet?

ETA: Armslist?  Oh shit...
View Quote
My first thought. His FFL isn't going to ship anything until that happens.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:05:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you tried googling the name and address to see what comes up?
does Armslist no longer have their warnings up against this exact thing?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#7]
That sucks.
Trying to sell a Sig on armslist. Getting plenty of shady as fuck Nigerian offers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah....you won't see the gun or your money back.

Ask me how I know.

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Money is probaly gone. Last year I did the same thing except with a ak. Hour after I sent chase quickpay he relisted it and chase didn't do shit to try and get my money back. Mistake I learned from atleast
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Money order? Wow gif
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Armslist?
FTF transactions only. To much Nigerian scamming shit.

"I'm interested in this item."
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Holy shit, dude. Seriously? How do people still fall for this shit?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, you're boned.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Post in the AL hometown forum & see if you can get a member to go Tanya Harding on him.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#16]
wow
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Doing an out of state Armslist buy is big mistake.  Do you have a link to the ad so we can Google image search the picture and show you where that exact same gun is listed for sale on five different sites?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#18]
My FFL sent him their copy so he had that info. I've never dealt with Armslist, only the EE and thought I'd give it a shot. I apparently hadn't heard anything bad either. 

https://www.armslist.com/posts/6923124/atlanta-georgia-handguns-for-sale--beretta-m9a1
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My FFL sent him their copy so he had that info. I've never dealt with Armslist, only the EE and thought I'd give it a shot. I apparently hadn't heard anything bad either. 

https://www.armslist.com/posts/6923124/atlanta-georgia-handguns-for-sale--beretta-m9a1
View Quote
If your FFL sent them a copy of their license why don't you just get the information from your dealer and call them yourself to ask about it?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Weapons grade stupid move.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry to hear about that OP and hopefully you paid with a USPS MO and can at least file fraud charges against him. I only do FTF on Armslist. Too many scammers out there.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#22]
You got scammed hard. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#23]
For the future can't you send the money to the FFL?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If your FFL sent them a copy of their license why don't you just get the information from your dealer and call them yourself to ask about it?
View Quote
They sent it to his email because I initially thought he was shipping as an individual. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#25]
lol

So you did everything NOT to do in the book and you're wondering if you get your money back? lol

Your only option now is try to see if they can revoke that money order, but chances are it has been cashed long ago.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Well that's an expensive lesson....
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Armslist is basically classified ads for guns.  You don't even need an account to post.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They sent it to his email because I initially thought he was shipping as an individual. 
View Quote

Wow, you found an FFL willing to email a copy of his license out to random individuals?

Now you non-licensees know why FFL's are usually uptight about sending them only to other FFL's.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Wow, you found an FFL willing to email a copy of his license out to random individuals?

Now you non-licensees know why FFL's are usually uptight about sending them only to other FFL's.
View Quote
Whole lotta  in this.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#30]
"This listing has been deactivated by the seller. You will no longer be able to contact the seller."

Google image search doesn't show any other images of it,so that's a good sign.

Hopefully you get the gun.

There was a post on Craigslist a week or so from a guy warning others about a forklift for sale-in another state.

He sent the money and they never delivered the forklift.

Fucking scammers need killed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#31]
It went no differently than half a dozen items I've bought off the EE here until he stopped replying. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Am I being too impatient here? I agreed to buy an M9A1 off Armslist 15 days ago. I sent the MO 14 days ago. The guy got it 12 days ago, but didn't get into his FFL that weekend. He supposedly says he had a last minute business trip 10 days ago. Emails me that he dropped the pistol at his FFL 6 days ago, and then cashed the MO. I emailed him 2 days ago asking for a tracking number as he didn't provide one (no response). I emailed him yesterday asking for a tracking number or the name of his dealer so I could take care of it myself (no response).

As of today, I still haven't seen the pistol. It shouldn't take that long to get from eastern Alabama to eastern Iowa. 

What at say the hive? I have his name and address, no phone number. What should be my next step? Report fraud to USPS if I don't hear anything within the next week or two?

Thanks 
View Quote

lol

r u sure?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:05:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Did your FFL know it was a pistol? Individuals can not ship pistols. Except for repair or warranty work.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
FFLs email me copies all the time for me being a non-ffl.

I have feedback that goes waaaaay back on most places I buy and sell though.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
WTF?

My preferred shop has a copy of their FFL and their 02 SOT online in PDF format.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Was it a really hot deal? I have found that the hot deals are generally scams.
View Quote

It's enough to make it worth guys time to steal, but not enough to get hit with a felony/prison time or make it worth a cops time to investigate it....
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#39]
So you dont have any of his ffl peoples info because you thought he was doing it himself and shipping to your ffl? You have his name and address but no number? Sorry for your loss of money but use common sense next time and  and take a buddy for safety for a meet face to face.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Was it a really hot deal? I have found that the hot deals are generally scams.
View Quote
It was a decent deal, but they're hard to find right now with Beretta setting up shop in Tennessee, so the fact it was "available" and a decent price is what made me move on it. 

I haven't been able to buy anything outright since I found out my wife was pregnant with our first 6 years ago, and only had the funds for this after selling a rifle off. Definitely hurts to be stupid, I guess. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It was a decent deal, but they're hard to find right now with Beretta setting up shop in Tennessee, so the fact it was "available" and a decent price is what made me move on it. 

I haven't been able to buy anything outright since I found out my wife was pregnant with our first 6 years ago, and only had the funds for this after selling a rifle off. Definitely hurts to be stupid, I guess. 
View Quote
Sorry man, some lessons in life are little more painful then others.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Money is ... gone...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Money is ... gone...
Quoted:
... you're boned.
A.W.D.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Here's an ad that it came from.  The listing on Armslist and the listing on Outdoor Trader both show Georgia as the seller's location.  That doesn't mean the listing on Armslist is legit though.  If you bought it 15 days ago, June 8th, the listing on Outdoor Trader shows it sold before then.  Another red flag to me is the seller on the the Outdoor Trader listing states he's not willing to ship.
same gun
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Armslist is face to face only.....its a little late for that but it warrants repeating
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#45]
At first I thought this was a joke thread.....then I kept reading.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Did your FFL know it was a pistol? Individuals can not ship pistols. Except for repair or warranty work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Per Federal Law, Handguns may not be MAILED, except by a dealer. Handguns from an individual must be shipped via a common carrier, Fed Ex or UPS. Those carriers require it be shipped via their Next Day Air service.

State laws may differ.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#47]
I made this mistake years ago... I was young, 19 or 20, and was working on a "project" car, trying to build a 3rd gen Camaro (I know, Joe Dirt, more babies in the south were conceived in the back of a Camaro than in beds, etc.), and I blew the transmission apart, needed a replacement for the build, and found a "great" price on one on a car forum. Guy seemed legit, talked a handful of times on the phone, felt good about the deal, the weekend before thanksgiving I went to Western Union and sent him the money. $400, which as a lowly E3 at the time, was a lot of money to me. He was nice and kept me updated the first week, "I'm cleaning it", or "I've gotta get a shipper lined up", or "i'm sending it this weekend". Then he disappeared. I called his phone once a day for weeks, eventually he answered with some sob story about having been arrested and he was going to send it asap. Then nothing. I called on a weekly basis for two years, mostly to get $400 worth of anger taken care of. That's the last time I've bought from an individual that wasn't face to face.

TLDR: Years ago a young, naive kid sent $400 western union to a guy in Illinois for a transmission. Seller got $400, buyer got remorse and heartache. Buyer doesn't buy from individuals on the internet anymore.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#48]
If the guy dropped it off at an FFL, it might still be sitting there.   Or it was sent out and USPS still has it.   The guy should have given you his FFLs info.

Get a valid phone number next time.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
LOL.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#50]
You have his address. Time for a road trip.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top