Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#1]
If you used a UPSP Money Order you can file fraud charges which is a felony

Contact the guy and let him know you're willing to pursue that unless you receive satisfaction in the matter
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Just dealt with this on armslist as well, guy copy and pasted the description and pictures from someone's GunBroker ad.  Took 2 weeks from the time I flagged it as scam on armslist to get an email back from them, all my communication with the guy was shady as could be.  I sent copies of all the emails to his local PD and also to the ATF tips email.

Sorry OP, pretty sure you've been had.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI again
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#4]
You mentioned his FFL have you tried calling them?  Ask them if they know of him or anything about this transaction?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Is this 1999?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You mentioned his FFL have you tried calling them?  Ask them if they know of him or anything about this transaction?
View Quote
He mentioned his FFL, but never mentioned who it was. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Contact the guy and let him know you're willing to pursue that unless you receive satisfaction in the matter
View Quote
How many people have been arrested for it?

How many have gotten their money back?

Over the years,I've seen a lot of people fucked on USPS money orders.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here's an ad that it came from.  The listing on Armslist and the listing on Outdoor Trader both show Georgia as the seller's location.  That doesn't mean the listing on Armslist is legit though.  If you bought it 15 days ago, June 8th, the listing on Outdoor Trader shows it sold before then.  Another red flag to me is the seller on the the Outdoor Trader listing states he's not willing to ship.
same gun
View Quote
Yup, he just copied the Outdoor Trader ad, I've seen that a lot.

And in BOTH ads it clearly states: SHIPPING: No
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]
How much money did you "save" over one from gunbroker or the EE?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't lose hope yet, but sending a MO without anything to guarantee shipment isn't the best idea.

BUT....can't you cancel a MO if you have the receipt?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here's an ad that it came from.  The listing on Armslist and the listing on Outdoor Trader both show Georgia as the seller's location.  That doesn't mean the listing on Armslist is legit though.  If you bought it 15 days ago, June 8th, the listing on Outdoor Trader shows it sold before then.  Another red flag to me is the seller on the the Outdoor Trader listing states he's not willing to ship.
same gun
View Quote
That's the dude. That's his name and he lives in Phoenix City, AL. and that's roughly the same time I agreed to buy it (might have been late night on the 7th).
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope you get your money back or the gun, it sucks being ripped off.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#14]
its 2017
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:01:59 PM EDT
[#15]
It basically says don't do transactions like that on armslist it's a scam and you're on your own if you do in the FAQ. It's not the EE where people have a feedback score and the threat of being banned from arfcom as motivation to keep them honest. Good luck OP but that money is probably gone.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Armslist?  OP I don't think this will end well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:12:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
same gun
View Quote
Last post on that ad thread is from a username "Aimless"
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Wait...

Armslist

You use a money order.

You don't get his FFL info

It's not face to face.

Sorry dude. You get what you deserve.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Guy is a scammer. Call the cops in the town you sent the MO to and maybe they will pay him a visit. They will probably tell you it is a civil matter though.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I think you've been scammed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Questions I always get from a seller.

Home address to send the USPS MO to and confirm it.

Selling history, no history I don't buy.

Always use a USPS MO, still not the best insurance but you can find out where it was cashed and get a pic of the guy.

For FFL to FFL transfers, I get his FFL info and send him mine. Then I have my FFL confirm his FFL.

And finally before sending money I call his FFL and ask if he knows the guy and if he is aware of the upcoming transaction.

No FFL confirmation no MO sent.

Even with all this you can still get ripped off, but its the chance you take buying a handgun off of Armslist unless you do FTF.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Did you send a USPS MO?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:49:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I would find him. And I would sue the absolute fuck out of him
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Never send money on Armslist.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately this is the sad truth. Don't expect any in depth investigation or no knock search warrants on behalf of the Postal Police this if they even file an incident report.. Another way is reporting the fraud which would have to be reported in the municipality or location where it occurred. If they would take the incident report... would you be willing to travel there, report the incident, sign the summons etc? Even if he is summonsed on the matter, then their is the issue of going to court on the criminal matter then possibly having to file a civil complaint to get your funds. The time lost plus traveling expenses and red tape is what keeps these thieves continuously ripping people off.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Did you send a USPS MO?
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
The post office cares less . BTDT
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I am an ODT member . let me see if I can do anything
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I sent him a message as well as sent the mods a message.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Ya done goofed
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
He mentioned his FFL, but never mentioned who it was. 
View Quote
Red flag with a flashing light and claxon right there.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#35]
He has an ad up on the ODT as well.
https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-ar-15-light-weight-w-eotech-558.1436185/

From what the OP is telling us he is actually a resident of AL and not GA but is trying to sell his guns FTF in GA. Not real bright this guy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Jesus titty fucking christ...

Armslist is not the EE. They are random strangers from the internet! They can pretend to be anybody they want and tell you anything they want you to think.

So you blindly trust a random faceless, nameless person from the internet with hundreds of dollars and expect them to follow through with a deal you made even though you have no way of forcing them to do anything, much less track them down. Oh, you have their name and address? Yea, fake name and the address is an abandoned house. Good job, now you have nothing.

Armslist is for face to face transactions only.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Seems like a good excuse to take a road trip and pay the 'seller' a visit.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Was it a really hot deal? I have found that the hot deals are generally scams.
View Quote
That deal isn't suspiciously priced. I got a Beretta 92A1 in near mint shape off a gunbroker dealer for only $420 shipped. $550 is actually on the higher range for these kinds of guns.

Anyhow, joining the conversation...
Sure armslist is shady, but it's not like you can't get scammed on the EE here. People have built up feedback and turned tail and burned people with outstanding purchases.

Now armslist is riskier true, due to the more anonymous nature of it and lack of moderation. That doesn't mean you can't deal there, you just have to take more precautions.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It was a decent deal, but they're hard to find right now with Beretta setting up shop in Tennessee, so the fact it was "available" and a decent price is what made me move on it. 

I haven't been able to buy anything outright since I found out my wife was pregnant with our first 6 years ago, and only had the funds for this after selling a rifle off. Definitely hurts to be stupid, I guess. 
View Quote
13 years
Almost 14,000 posts

Armslist
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#42]
LOL.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#43]
I hope you get your money back.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:39:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't know if he's real or not. My wife looked him up on Facebook, and a guy by his name lived in the same town and is roughly the age some other site listed. 

I'm a dumbass for thinking the internet was like the EE. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#46]
I have your gun now, can you go ahead and send me a MO?

I mean that worked on you once already.....
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Those weren't really great deals, other than the stainless ones.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

He has the address where he sent the mo. I handled a case like this once from an armslist sale. Guy in MS took payment on behalf of his "employer" who then requested that he keep 75$ for his "troubles" and western union the rest to Nigeria. The kid even was told by western union that it is almost always a scam. Kid and gun buyer never spoke. The gun buyer was communicating by email the entire time to dude in Nigeria. It was pretty clever. Nigerian even had a local'ish number for text messages. The kid eventually decided that he didn't want to forward money any more money via western union and "quit his job"

lol
View Quote
"Buy" another gun from him. Promise payment. Send "payment" with tracking info.

Be there when "payment" arrives.

The needful must be done.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Step 1:  ask what FFL he's using for the transfer.  Call the FFL and see if they have the pistol.

Step 2:  if you paid by USPS MO and it was sent USPS, I threaten him with federal mail fraud charges.  If it's a legit scam it's a long shot, but this worked for me several years ago here on the EE when I had an unresponsive seller that had been paid.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top