Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/23/2017 1:17:02 AM EDT
Apparently for the last few years my local school district has offered free lunch during the summer. I guess it's free for kids ages 1-18 and you don't even have to be a member of the district to receive it.

WTF? Isn't this what foodstamps is for? The district is constantly bitching about underpaid techers and no money to maintain old buildings.

Anybody else have schools that do this?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:18:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah.  Everyone here calls it Obama lunch.

I say it stays in exchange for defunding some other bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:25:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I could care less about the dollars and cents associated with feeding hungry kids. Hell, our church had to scale down our food pantry program. Not because we didn't have the $, but the opposite. Of course, we only gave out unprepared food. You know, the stuff that requires parents to actually cook for their kids

That said, it shouldn't be something that is funded by the school district. Definitely not if they are going to bitch about teachers not getting paid enough and no money to maintain buildings at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:25:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup that's over here too. Meh.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:27:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Even with their handouts the FSA is to lazy to go "buy" their free food and cook for their kids during the summer.

It's much easier to let them roam feral and let the school feed them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:32:35 AM EDT
[#5]
It's the same here.  But here l do know it's not coming out of the school district's budget.  It's all paid for by outside grants and programs.  They use schools because of they have the kitchens and the known locations.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:32:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Even with their handouts the FSA is to lazy to go "buy" their free food and cook for their kids during the summer.

View Quote
There's always 3 or 4 posts on CL where welfare queens selling their Food Stamps. Going rate seems to be $0.50 per Food Stamp dollar.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:33:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I bet you didn't know that some schools are offering free "lunch" to everyone now and by "lunch" I mean 3 meals a day free to every student.  During the summer pretty much anyone in the community can show up and get a free meal.  Our school board just voted to raise our property taxes by 5.9 cents per 100; on top of the PVA raising everyone's property taxes 10% over the last 2 years.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:34:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Free breakfast and lunch over here.. It was on the news the other day.. Talking about how the kids need to eat.. I thought to myself if you can't feed your kid for a few months your probably not fit to be rearing a child.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:34:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw this on the news here locally last week and made the same comments as already presented here.  Apparently this is just about everywhere.  Excellent way to start off another generation to continue federal take and helplessness zombies.  The news said it was federal money that allowed this program.  The feds still spending money like we have it.  It's awesome.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:35:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bet you didn't know that some schools are offering free "lunch" to everyone now and by "lunch" I mean 3 meals a day free to every student.  During the summer pretty much anyone in the community can show up and get a free meal.  Our school board just voted to raise our property taxes by 5.9 cents per 100; on top of the PVA raising everyone's property taxes 10% over the last 2 years.
View Quote
Our schools have already been offering breakfast for free to every student, even the ones that don't qualify for free or reduced price lunch.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:35:49 AM EDT
[#11]
They all do it.

The welfare rats quadruple dip on everything.

Quoted:
Free breakfast and lunch over here.. It was on the news the other day.. Talking about how the kids need to eat.. I thought to myself if you can't feed your kid for a few months your probably not fit to be rearing a child.
View Quote
Yep, breakfast and lunch.

Like OP says, why the double, triple, and quadruple dipping with WIC, TANF, and so on.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:38:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There's always 3 or 4 posts on CL where welfare queens selling their Food Stamps. Going rate seems to be $0.50 per Food Stamp dollar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And baby formula and diapers. Many just buy energy drinks, chips, and soda with theirs though.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:40:57 AM EDT
[#13]
It's a double edged sword. On one hand you're feeding children who are probably hungry. On the other you're teaching them to expect handouts.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:45:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Big meh from me. I'm sure lots of people abuse it, but there are school districts where it really does help kids.

It's not the kid's fault that their parent is a piece of crap or is otherwise unable to feed their kid. Sometimes there isn't even a real parental figure in the picture.

They get some food and can get away from a (often) toxic environment.

I think you would do better to run an audit on contractors/grafters and cut the pay of administrators at the top.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:45:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:04:55 AM EDT
[#16]
More taking from us at gunpoint to give to breeders.z
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:05:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's a double edged sword. On one hand you're feeding children who are probably hungry. On the other you're teaching them to expect handouts.
View Quote
It's win-win for the liberals that way.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:10:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Make the future welfare rats work for it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:17:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Everyone is poor doncha know
Truth is the parents have money for drugs, booze, big TV's and rims, but if you ask them if they have money to feed the kids over summer they'd say no.
If you offer it for free they'll take it, actually demand it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:17:50 AM EDT
[#20]
School district has too much money.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:39:51 AM EDT
[#21]
They do it here too. Can't serve it on school grounds, so they serve it at one of the City parks in the Shelter building. Be smarter to serve them closer to the center of town, but what do I know.

edit to add: maybe forcing them little Gutter Snipes to walk/ride all the way out to the Highway on the South end of town is a good idea. They're pretty lazy unless they're causing trouble. I've hauled quite a few of them in the squad car and made their parents come get them. Parents don't like me, kids don't either. I shut the AC off before I put them in the back seat. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:57:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Who is controlling the menu/cooking....The Wookie?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:05:42 AM EDT
[#23]
It's starting here, but it will be privately funded to some extent. 
People buy cigs/drugs/whatever instead of feeding their kids
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:07:35 AM EDT
[#24]
They have to do something with all the money they have left or their budget wont get an increase next year
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:14:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Lunch, hell  the school my wife works in requires he teachers to feed the kids breakfast in the classroom every morning.  I always thought school was for learning and  such, no longer it seems.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:19:39 AM EDT
[#26]
They do free breakfast and lunch here. The child must physically go and get it. Have to go every day to get a meal.

I don't have an issue. The same scum selling their benefits on CL are the same ones not feeding their kids. At least you know the kid is getting a meal with this program.

I would argue EBT is the problem, not free summer meals.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:22:54 AM EDT
[#27]
It's because WIC, food stamps and all the other free shit programs are misused, traded off, sold, or eaten by their big fat ass mommas.

So why don't they, if the kids have ANOTHER free meal a day, cut momma's food stamps and other welfare as it seems double dipping and triple dipping is the norm nowadays.

Then charge the parent with child neglect and welfare fraud if the kids are not eating because momma is too lazy to get her sloth ass off the couch to feed them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:45:18 AM EDT
[#28]
We are in a feral cat breeding cycle. Ebt and food stamp should come with free spaying and neutering.

Seriously, what's the end game to perpetual free support? And I say this because nobody wants somebody's mistake to go hungry, but how long can it go on before the dependent population over consumes what the supporting population can provide?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:49:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I could care less about the dollars and cents associated with feeding hungry kids. Hell, our church had to scale down our food pantry program. Not because we didn't have the $, but the opposite. Of course, we only gave out unprepared food. You know, the stuff that requires parents to actually cook for their kids

That said, it shouldn't be something that is funded by the school district. Definitely not if they are going to bitch about teachers not getting paid enough and no money to maintain buildings at the same time.
View Quote
It's federal money, not local, and the school system probably gets some $$ for participating.

They deliver it 5 days a week to my daughter's gym classes.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Can't maintain the indoctrinated if they have months in their stupid parents care.
Hell, the his might start to think for themselves.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Peeps have to harden the fuck up when it comes to feeding these "poor" kids.....Nits become lice....And future Dem voters.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:09:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Apparently for the last few years my local school district has offered free lunch during the summer. I guess it's free for kids ages 1-18 and you don't even have to be a member of the district to receive it.

WTF? Isn't this what foodstamps is for? The district is constantly bitching about underpaid techers and no money to maintain old buildings.

Anybody else have schools that do this?
View Quote

Plus they take it to them using busses or bus the students in. Walk around a school during the summer or at night and count the AC units that are running. I am a retired educator and schools waste tons of money. If they don't spend it they have to send it back. Crazy huh?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:15:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Food stamps are to trade for drugs. Everyone knows that.

Them poor peoples can't be feed their kids in the summer that be the guberments job.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:16:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Des Moines school district not only does summer lunch they do free lunch during the school year for everyone regardless of parents take home pay. Only because something like 80% of students were already on the take so it was just easier they said to do free lunch. Then on Friday certain kids get a grocery sack filled with food so they have something to eat over the weekend.

I saw it first hand when my kids went there. Glad we're out.

Other programs were underfunded and I'm sure it had something to do with the year round free lunches.

My son loves art. The teacher told us she had a yearly budget of $300. They were doing clay sculptures and she ran out of glaze. My son gave her $40 in gift cards to the art store so she could buy more. He was only 9.

I could go on and on. The shit my wife and I saw and how they catered to the shit birds and more or less told us to go fuck ourselves when our son had problems with minority students. (He was the real minority if you catch my drift)

ETA: The $40 was his own money
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:20:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#36]
If you think free lunches are about feeding poor kids, you aren't paying attention.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:29:41 AM EDT
[#37]
If your kid is receiving free breakfast and lunch at school, then someone needs to take a close look at what you are doing with your foodstamps.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#38]
yep all the illegals here line up for this shit...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If you think free lunches are about feeding poor kids, you aren't paying attention.
View Quote
Just like food stamps, they are yet another subsidy for FSA farmers.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:35:25 AM EDT
[#40]
I wonder how many people showing up for free lunch have an iPhone?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:38:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If your kid is receiving free breakfast and lunch at school, then someone needs to take a close look at what you are doing with your foodstamps.
View Quote
Yup. Let's hire a couple hundred inspectors and start up a while new division of government to oversee it. That won't add any cost to the millions that our government already gives to the corporations that administer EBT or those that accept food stamps. The people who end up with this money aren't going to let a little overhead affect their profit center.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:40:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually it's the retailers and Chase that really rake in the profit from this. They are the ones who lobby for this not poor people
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#43]
They were doing breakfast and lunch here at one time. I haven't followed it but I'm sure they still do. Also if I remember correctly they were sending the busses to get them in some cases.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
If kids are going hungry these days, most likely the parents need their head caved in with a pipe wrench.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:43:41 AM EDT
[#45]
I can't speak for all kids but growing up in LA my single mom was on welfare and I got free lunches even breakfast and this was in the early 70's,

My wife and I make close to 200k a year with her being an NP and I'm a pump mechanic so don't assume all free programs are bad and the kids end up being free loaders.

As much as I know welfare is abused in the end, in schools, its hungry kids and its not like Canadian bacon and soft boiled eggs.........................
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#46]
As far aa I know, locally to me it is paid for by state grants dedicated to it.  The school can do it, or not, but its not like they can take the money and spend it on a new microscope or patch the gym roof.

Personally, if we're going to do it, whats the justification for not making the recipients go to summer school too?  Its not like many kids on summer free lunches are needed at home to weed the field 1890's style. It seems to work for other countries just fine to go more or less year round.

Also, why can't we, in the name of preventing obesity and child abuse crossreference kids at school benifits, BMI, and SNAP/WIC/TANF.  If the kids has a BMI of 35, and is getting 3 free meals a day, plus a takehome bag on weekends, the parent obviously doesnt need any benifit related to feeding the kid. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Being offered in Montgomery AL public schools this summer.  Not only do families get food stamps at home the kids are fed for free during the school year (breakfast and lunch) and are now fed for free during the summer.  At least reduce the amount of food stamps they get by the number of free meals each child gets from the schools.

Time to end the free lunch, literally and figuratively.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't know how things are set up in KY, but the school budget here is voted on by the taxpayer in the form of warrant articles every March.  If the taxpayers vote against the new budget, then the budget defaults to the prior year's budget + any contractually agreed-to increases in union contracts.  

I also don't understand what you mean by the PVA increasing property taxes by 10% in 2 years.  If the budget increases, then the PVA has to increase the property tax rate to generate the additional needed revenue.  That's how you pay for the additional money needed.

The solutions are to get voted onto the school board, as a selectmen or budget committee member, and work to monitor spending from the inside.  I was voted to the town budget committee 2 years ago for a 3-year term and I'm doing what I can.  It's a huge time commitment with zero compensation (it actually cost me because of the campaign signs I had printed up), but you have the power to change spending if you put in the effort.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:57:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
School district has too much money.
View Quote
The taxpayers vote to give them too much money.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I don't know how things are set up in KY, but the school budget here is voted on by the taxpayer in the form of warrant articles every March.  If the taxpayers vote against the new budget, then the budget defaults to the prior year's budget + any contractually agreed-to increases in union contracts.  

I also don't understand what you mean by the PVA increasing property taxes by 10% in 2 years.  If the budget increases, then the PVA has to increase the property tax rate to generate the additional needed revenue.  That's how you pay for the additional money needed.

The solutions are to get voted onto the school board, as a selectmen or budget committee member, and work to monitor spending from the inside.  I was voted to the town budget committee 2 years ago for a 3-year term and I'm doing what I can.  It's a huge time commitment with zero compensation (it actually cost me because of the campaign signs I had printed up), but you have the power to change spending if you put in the effort.
View Quote
This is a federally funded program. National School Lunch Program. This money is allocated at the federal level.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top