Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/22/2017 11:55:41 PM EDT
Scientists are usually the ones that first throw out accusations or beliefs in aliens or hyper-advanced races and what not, but if you're interested in reading, they've found something that they can't yet explain, and its absolutely crazy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIC_8462852

The Bush-era Kepler Space Telescope viewed it a few years ago to try to find planet(s) around it. The probe has been extremely, EXTREMELY successful in finding planets around stars. However, when it looked at this star, what it found has basically broken astronomer's understanding of planets, solar systems, and everything else.

Unless it doesn't break their understanding - meaning they know exactly what it is - a Dyson Sphere, or at least the beginning formations of it.

In layman's terms, telescopes are observing random "Dips" in the brightness of the star. Kepler measures the brightness over a long period of time, and if "Dips" are tracked to a specific time frame, then its assumed a planet is orbiting the star (transit planetary detection). The catch with this star is that there's no rhyme or reason to its brightness dipping. They have an idea when its going to drop, but not the size or length of the drop, which may suggest that its an artificial structure.

If you like astronomy, then pay attention to the developments of this star over the next few months and years. Its either going to be aliens, or something that we've never, ever seen before. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:03:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Scientists are usually the ones that first throw out accusations or beliefs in aliens or hyper-advanced races and what not, but if you're interested in reading, they've found something that they can't yet explain, and its absolutely crazy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIC_8462852

The Bush-era Kepler Space Telescope viewed it a few years ago to try to find planet(s) around it. The probe has been extremely, EXTREMELY successful in finding planets around stars. However, when it looked at this star, what it found has basically broken astronomer's understanding of planets, solar systems, and everything else.

Unless it doesn't break their understanding - meaning they know exactly what it is - a Dyson Sphere, or at least the beginning formations of it.

In layman's terms, telescopes are observing random "Dips" in the brightness of the star. Kepler measures the brightness over a long period of time, and if "Dips" are tracked to a specific time frame, then its assumed a planet is orbiting the star (transit planetary detection). The catch with this star is that there's no rhyme or reason to its brightness dipping. They have an idea when its going to drop, but not the size or length of the drop, which may suggest that its an artificial structure.

If you like astronomy, then pay attention to the developments of this star over the next few months and years. Its either going to be aliens, or something that we've never, ever seen before. 
View Quote

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-explanation-alien-megastructure.html
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#2]
That star has been discussed here before.

On a certain level its depressing, but reassuring, if it really is a dyson sphere.  A civilization advanced enough to require the energy from a dyson sphere yet unable to travel the cosmically short distance of 1000 light years to earth.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:05:32 AM EDT
[#3]
In before certain meme.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:06:30 AM EDT
[#4]
The dips correspond to Morse Code...

The message?

"We're coming for you next..."
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:10:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Dyson sphere is stupid.

Make your own suns AKA fusion.

And...

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:12:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

On a certain level its depressing, but reassuring, if it really is a dyson sphere.  A civilization advanced enough to require the energy from a dyson sphere yet unable to travel the cosmically short distance of 1000 light years to earth.
View Quote
Imo such a civilization would come to earth study the inhabitants and turn around.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The dips correspond to Morse Code...

The message?

"We're coming for you next..."
View Quote
"Be sure to drink your Ovaltine."
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:17:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Notice the timing and frequency of press releases such as this?  They are happening every day.  9th planet found here, 10th planet found here (source: https://www.space.com/37295-possible-planet-10.html)

We are fastforwarding quickly to a full disclosure, and we are all going through a form of soft disclosure right now.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:17:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd go to their star. I'd be the first guy to make contact with an alien life form... And fuck it.

There has to be some sort of scientific explanation though
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:18:38 AM EDT
[#10]
God is causing the light to shift to test your faith.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Large chunks of dark matter bending the light away from us as they orbit the star.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
The star is broke yo...

You know what's even more depressing? Ask a handful of people "What is the closest star to Earth?"...I wouldn't have thought it possible for anyone to get that wrong but yet here I am suggesting it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:27:51 AM EDT
[#13]
It will be anything but an alien megastructure.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:28:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd go to their star. I'd be the first guy to make contact with an alien life form... And fuck it.

There has to be some sort of scientific explanation though
View Quote
It's a good plan, but make preparations to be the fuckee if it all goes south.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The star is broke yo...

You know what's even more depressing? Ask a handful of people "What is the closest star to Earth?"...I wouldn't have thought it possible for anyone to get that wrong but yet here I am suggesting it.
View Quote
I would expect the most common answer is Alpha Centauri, though the sun is the closest star.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:29:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The star is broke yo...

View Quote
Phoenix residents know.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Notice the timing and frequency of press releases such as this?  They are happening every day.  9th planet found here, 10th planet found here (source: https://www.space.com/37295-possible-planet-10.html)

We are fastforwarding quickly to a full disclosure, and we are all going through a form of soft disclosure right now.
View Quote
Only an extremely gullible person could possibly believe our government is capable of keeping anything secret. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:34:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would expect the most common answer is Alpha Centauri, though the sun is the closest star.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The star is broke yo...

I'd actually be impressed. But yeah, you see where I went with that. For me, it's downright scary a great many folks haven't ever so much as placed a thought about our little piece of the Universe, the scheme of it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:34:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Only an extremely gullible person could possibly believe our government is capable of keeping anything secret. 
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Perhaps their seeming incompetence is all part of the act?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:39:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Ed
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:39:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Imo such a civilization would come to earth study the inhabitants and turn around.
View Quote
Or they would watch us from a distance over time, then say...

Fuck that place!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:41:09 AM EDT
[#23]
This star fascinates the shit out of me. They need to put the Webb telescope into orbit asap. I'd pitch in if there were a kickstarter. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:47:29 AM EDT
[#24]
So it can't be a massive debris field like an Oort cloud on steroids ?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:50:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This star fascinates the shit out of me. They need to put the Webb telescope into orbit asap. I'd pitch in if there were a kickstarter. 
View Quote
I figured that project was scrapped after all this time.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:54:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:57:37 AM EDT
[#27]
That was a good read.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:57:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Webb won't be able to give us any new info on this star. It's not powerful enough to see anything, and we aren't going to leave it trained on the star to observe brightness changes when we already have a tool for that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:57:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hadn't heard that, last I heard it was still a go. I could be wrong, but I'd be deeply disappointed. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:58:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Webb won't be able to give us any new info on this star. It's not powerful enough to see anything, and we aren't going to leave it trained on the star to observe brightness changes when we already have a tool for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotcha, I just figured it would be strong enough to see stuff like this.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:00:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, an alien race that was building a dyson sphere 1000 years ago, anyway.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:00:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Actually, after Sol the next closest is Proxima Centauri.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:01:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Like anyone could fathom what the hell happens out there
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:03:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Assuming we are even interesting enough to warrant a visit. For all we know life is common in the universe and we are no more noteworthy than an anthill in your neighbors yard. Of course what we are seeing now is what happened 1,300 years ago so they may have already came and went.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:04:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Nobody had better try to send a signal to it. I think SETI and stuff like that are insane.

I agree with Steven Hawking's take on it. Simply observe human history here on earth. Whenever a more technologically and scientifically advanced civilization makes contact with a less advanced civilization, what happens? It doesn't go well for the less advanced society.

When the colonists found America, it didn't go well for the native americans.

When Europe decided it wanted Africa's resources, it didn't go well for the Africans.

When Australia was settled, it didn't go well for the aboriginals.

If our little podunk species makes contact with a race that can travel between stars, how are we expecting it to go? There's no reason to think they would share their science and tech with us or establish diplomatic relations like some sci-fi movie.

Best case scenario, they decide nothing on our planet is interesting to them and they refuse to interact with us. If we ever discover evidence of another civilization, we should be trying to hide from it, not talk to it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:05:28 AM EDT
[#36]
The crazy thing is if there are aliens, they have zero reason to engage with us on any level. Why? If a species is advanced enough to master star travel we have *nothing* to offer them, and are so far behind theirs our species would only be ever so mildly entertaining to a small subset of scientists that studied that sort of thing.

We would be to them as those stupid protected fish in little rivers are to our scientists. Nothing more than a curiosity. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:06:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Nobody had better try to send a signal to it. I think SETI and stuff like that are insane.

I agree with Steven Hawking's take on it. Simply observe human history here on earth. Whenever a more technologically and scientifically advanced civilization makes contact with a less advanced civilization, what happens? It doesn't go well for the less advanced society.

When the colonists found America, it didn't go well for the native americans.

When Europe decided it wanted Africa's resources, it didn't go well for the Africans.

When Australia was settled, it didn't go well for the aboriginals.

If our little podunk species makes contact with a race that can travel between stars, how are we expecting it to go? There's no reason to think they would share their science and tech with us or establish diplomatic relations like some sci-fi movie.

Best case scenario, they decide nothing on our planet is interesting to them and they refuse to interact with us. If we ever discover evidence of another civilization, we should be trying to hide from it, not talk to it.
View Quote

Why not? So they can receive it in 1300 years, decide to do something about it, and then send us hate mail back that we will get 2600 years from now?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:11:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The crazy thing is if there are aliens, they have zero reason to engage with us on any level. Why? If a species is advanced enough to master star travel we have *nothing* to offer them, and are so far behind theirs our species would only be ever so mildly entertaining to a small subset of scientists that studied that sort of thing.

We would be to them as those stupid protected fish in little rivers are to our scientists. Nothing more than a curiosity
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:11:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Why not? So they can receive it in 1300 years, decide to do something about it, and then send us hate mail back that we will get 2600 years from now?
View Quote
Earth: "Greetings, foreign world! We reach out to you in a gesture of peace and cooperation."

Aliens: "lol stfu normies rreeeeee!!!!1!1!!1"
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:17:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The star is broke yo...

View Quote
Seeing as how we will probably never get there in the next 100 years (thats if we can manage 4.5% light speed) it is of little consequence to anybody beyond mere scientific curiosity. Whats depressing is to think of exactly how big space is and how far away our "nearest neighbor" is. Even at the speed of light it would be a nine year round trip and so far everything we know and understand about physics says light speed is impossible for anything with mass. There are a few creative workarounds that are only theoretical with varying opinions in the scientific community about their feasibility and even if they prove to be possible it would still require more energy than our sun produces to power any of them. Even if life is common we are still alone due to the vast distances.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:22:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Anybody that believes we are the smartest lifeform in the universe is Nancy Pelosi retarded.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:28:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Seeing as how we will probably never get there in the next 100 years (thats if we can manage 4.5% light speed) it is of little consequence to anybody beyond mere scientific curiosity. Whats depressing is to think of exactly how big space is and how far away our "nearest neighbor" is. Even at the speed of light it would be a nine year round trip and so far everything we know and understand about physics says light speed is impossible for anything with mass. There are a few creative workarounds that are only theoretical with varying opinions in the scientific community about their feasibility and even if they prove to be possible it would still require more energy than our sun produces to power any of them. Even if life is common we are still alone due to the vast distances.
View Quote
It's 1300 light years away. If we could travel at 100% of the speed of light, it would still take us 1300 years to get there. 

Not doable without time/space folding/ wormholes. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:30:53 AM EDT
[#43]
It's the alien version of 4chan. They are trolling us. "hey lets make a star blink like crazy so those stupid earthlings will think we have a Dyson sphere"
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:32:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Proxima Centurai actually.
On topic, I love prospect of aliens, but I am willing to bet natural phenomenon to be the more likely explanation. No expert on that telescope, but the Star is quite distant and there could be all sorts of things distorting the view from our line of site or could be something that occurred recently (something off wall like a rogue planet that broke up.  The star is interesting,  but I would err on a natural explanation vs artificial.

The saving grace for us I believe is how far we are. If something was capable of building a structure like that, we would be nothing compared to them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:36:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
A sobering illustration of just how far away the stars are.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:50:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Probably just an interstellar death ship approaching from in front of it, using the star's luminosity and irregular paterns as cover.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:53:44 AM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A sobering illustration of just how far away the stars are.
My mind cannot grasp the spaces in between all of the close stars in our galaxy, much less other galaxies or even deep space. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:58:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not gonna lie--I had that same thought recently.  Wife and I discussed it for a bit.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:00:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I hadn't heard that, last I heard it was still a go. I could be wrong, but I'd be deeply disappointed. 
View Quote
still moving forward.

It's fully assembled and going through final vibration testing... hot and cold... vacuum... the last things they do before putting it on the rocket.

It's supposed to launch later this year on an Ariane 5 out of French Guiana.  Though the schedule might have slipped a bit recently because the French launch facility was shut down for about a month due to a labor dispute with the locals.

ETA: just checked the latest launch date.  October 2018... so... yeah that's slipped again. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:05:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top