User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not uncommon to not discuss pregnancy now until after the first trimester. Less likely to miscarry after the first so it's taboo to discuss it. It's also very personal when you lose one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In Chinese culture, you don't talk about the baby before it gets here because you're afraid of jinxing it and losing it to miscarriage or stillbirth.
It's not uncommon to not discuss pregnancy now until after the first trimester. Less likely to miscarry after the first so it's taboo to discuss it. It's also very personal when you lose one.
This.  Telling everyone you're pregnant then losing it, and having to tell everyone that asks "how's the pregnancy" after that might be a little uncomfortable for some people, so they might avoid it as long as possible.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
OP do you think Lucy and Ricky actually had two twin beds in real life?
View Quote
Okay, why were they not allowed to say "pregnant" on the show?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
It was only the case of "polite" society.  Read that as middle-class and up Protestants.

My mom was number 9 of 16.  Germans from Kansas via Russia.  Having babies was the standard and while life was hard, children were considered a blessing from God.

However, Protestants did not see any religious reason to have children.  Children reduced discretionary income and having children was seen as rather low class.  Pregnancy was then nothing to be proud of.

BTW, stop getting your info from TV and the movies.   In real life, people weren't wrapped around the axle about stuff as the media prudes would have you think.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm a millennial, so I wasn't around back in the day.

But most everyone that I know that was around before the 60s or so will say that anything involving pregnancy or being pregnant was a very taboo and unspoken subject.

The word itself wasn't even used. You were "expecting" at most. Women dressed in every possible way to try to show themselves as little as possible (this still exists today I suppose, "maternity clothes", but not as much?)

I don't really get it though. I can understand discussion of sex itself as being taboo, but why was pregnancy such a hush hush subject? Wasn't this the time of family values? If a married couple was having a child, why was there a need to be so quiet about it?
View Quote

lol, where are you getting your info from? I think pregnancy was a bigger public deal then than now, unless you are talking about unmarried tramps getting knocked up out of wedlock; that was frowned on and still should be.  Public breastfeeding was about the same then as now, except that the women didn't really want strangers gawking at their tits and babies, so they covered up.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why?

'cause Jesus says so?
View Quote
No because wed parents are more likely to raise the kid together than unmarried parents.  Please don't tell me you think a kid is better off with a single parent (unless of course one parent is an abusive a-hole).
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to south Korea it still is that way

teenage girls just quietly vanish  you see them years later with suspiciously aged cousin
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I say, prego or baby host.

I get some looks from across the room.

View Quote

YOU'RE WHAT!!

TIIIIIINNNN  ROOOOOF  rusted

it was a common mis belief in the 90s that this was a southern term for pregnant because it makes no sense in the loveshack song
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

people tend to forget that Merry Ol' England conveniently exported all their Christian religious extremists to the American colonies up until 1776.  We have suffered from that Puritan influence ever since.
View Quote
And they created the greatest nation that ever existed
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:34:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No because wed parents are more likely to raise the kid together than unmarried parents.  Please don't tell me you think a kid is better off with a single parent (unless of course one parent is an abusive a-hole).
View Quote
If you mean by parents raising jointly, yes.

"marriage" means nothing. It's paperwork.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Okay, why were they not allowed to say "pregnant" on the show?
View Quote
Ricky once told Lucy to lick his asshole.

True story!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
There is that. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Am I the only one who gets a stubby when they see a
cute preggo chick?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Correlation=/ causation
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Women got pregnant back then.

The taboo was pregnancy before marriage.

Pregnant high school girls were generally booted out of school prior to the late 60s.

I was class of '69 and IIRC in my junior year a couple of pregnant girls were permitted to finish high school. It was a VERY new thing.
View Quote
In my HS in the early 90's it was the same thing.  One chick in the school of about 1800 students got knocked up my senior year.  We only found out about it months later.  She just disappeared.  No idea if this was because of school board or voluntary.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
cute preggo chick?
View Quote
Yes.  Cute?  A very big maybe.  Hot?  No.  Pregnant chicks are gross.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess people back then were more civilized in that aspect then we are today.

Hell, a 13 year old getting pregnant gets you a TV show now. It is to be celebrated.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, the vast resources and resourceful people driven by massive greed (not saying it was bad), who had everything from duels in the street, whore houses established in town, and all that jazz had not a fucking thing to do with it, right?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Pregnant women were more common when I was a kid (before Roe v. Wade), and they wore special maternity clothes.  I had at least three pregnant elementary school teachers.  Families were also bigger, 3 or 4 kids were commonplace.   On my street there were no families with two children.  But several with 5 or 6 kids.  Older kids in those households knew how pregnancy worked, and also how breast feeding worked.  

The only women to get pregnant out of marriage were low-class whores, certain minority women, and mentally retarded women.  

Sad that millennials have such a distorted view of history.  What else are they lying to you about?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I never understood why guys think that's Gross.

Is it because it's not visually appealing or because you don't want to poke the baby?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
cute preggo chick?
View Quote
You should come here to South Texas. Getting knocked up appears to be a competitive sport in my AO. The sheer number of sub 21 year olds with 2 or 3 kids is staggering.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#22]
OP, you are a millennial so literally everything you've been taught by the culture is a lie, especially if you attended government schools.  Sorry to have to tell you that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#24]
It used to be taboo to act out in public. And that wasnt just for kids.  Now, baby dadies ready to throw down at the local Chuck-e-Cheese over disraspec.  That's only one thing that used to be taboo. Now, people boast about their EBT balance.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Why?

'cause Jesus says so?
View Quote
My wife's niece just pushed out her 5th kid, from 4 different men.  Guess who has paid all those medical bills?  A hint:  It wasn't her, or her boyfriends, or the rest of the family.

And given the delinquent behavior of her 9 year-old son, guess who will be paying his room and board after he becomes an adult?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Women got pregnant back then.

The taboo was pregnancy before marriage.

Pregnant high school girls were generally booted out of school prior to the late 60s.

I was class of '69 and IIRC in my junior year a couple of pregnant girls were permitted to finish high school. It was a VERY new thing.
View Quote
I grew up in a VERY small town in lower Michigan . I was a junior in 1983 , a girl I knew got pregnant, she was out before the end of the month.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yea it happened a lot back then, they didn't like to talk about it until it was confirmed they were having a boy
View Quote
When my wife was expecting and told me I said " are you have a boy or an abortion?". Aint having no split tails round here! We have two boys, thank god!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#28]
If a woman starts getting fat, she's either pregnant or just fat.

Either way I don't want anything to do with her.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
cute preggo chick?
Pregnant sex might be better than regular sex.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
there was a time, when you had children as part of raising a family and taking responsibility for the raising of those children. This required a certain amount of moral standards, and a willingness to provide for a family.

it was taboo to be pregnant without the support structure and commitment to properly raising a family in place.

Prudish? maybe, but we didn't have generations on welfare and women with dozens of baby daddies that have nothing to do with raising their offspring.

then the left, worked really hard to destroy the family, replacing it with the government, and removing the whole pregnant out of wedlock stigma. You don't need a family to raise a child, you have the government to provide.
while the sexual revolution may have been liberating, society as a whole took a hit.

there are no consequence, and damn few penalties to popping out as many kids from as many different fathers as you'd like.

This isn't a dig against all single mothers - there are, valid reason, just like then.

but the death of the family unit is the garden where a whole bunch of our current problems have sprung from.
View Quote
This person speaks wisdom.  Strong family unit = strong country.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I remember when pregnancy was talked about like an unwanted and unfortunate byproduct of sex or an STD.
View Quote
You remember high school/college too huh?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
When my wife was expecting and told me I said " are you have a boy or an abortion?". Aint having no split tails round here! We have two boys, thank god!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yea it happened a lot back then, they didn't like to talk about it until it was confirmed they were having a boy
I'm aways 100% down to get my hair done even if it means getting hit with a brush like a hammer.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If you mean by parents raising jointly, yes.

"marriage" means nothing. It's paperwork.
View Quote
That's all the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution are too.  Just paperwork.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I never understood why guys think that's Gross.

Is it because it's not visually appealing or because you don't want to poke the baby?
View Quote
Visually very unappealing.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:53:03 PM EDT
[#35]
It wasn't just talking about pregnancy that was taboo....abortion was totally against the law. In 1966 my best buddy knocked up his GF. Her parents had enough money to fly her to Japan to get an abortion. He knew she was gone for 10 days or so, but didn't find out about the pregnancy and abortion until 6 months later. She had to go to Japan because there was no state in the US where abortion was legal. In Connecticut, it was even illegal to sell, distribute, or encourage the use of contraceptive products until 1965 (USSC Case, Griswold Vs Connecticut). Several doctors were actually put in jail for prescribing things like diaphrams and spermicidal lubes.

Times have changed.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
there was a time, when you had children as part of raising a family and taking responsibility for the raising of those children. This required a certain amount of moral standards, and a willingness to provide for a family.

it was taboo to be pregnant without the support structure and commitment to properly raising a family in place.

Prudish? maybe, but we didn't have generations on welfare and women with dozens of baby daddies that have nothing to do with raising their offspring.

then the left, worked really hard to destroy the family, replacing it with the government, and removing the whole pregnant out of wedlock stigma. You don't need a family to raise a child, you have the government to provide.
while the sexual revolution may have been liberating, society as a whole took a hit.

there are no consequence, and damn few penalties to popping out as many kids from as many different fathers as you'd like.

This isn't a dig against all single mothers - there are, valid reason, just like then.

but the death of the family unit is the garden where a whole bunch of our current problems have sprung from.
View Quote
You wanted the truth OP?  This post is it.  100% correct.  

Some on this board call people with morals - prudes.  Maybe they do that because their own moral compass is askew, and they feel better about themselves when they tear others down.  It's actually a play out of the liberal playbook.  Interesting that they don't or can't see that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Visually very unappealing.
View Quote
I am the opposite, if she is good looking anyway.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#38]
My cousin got pregnant in college and came to live with us. She had her baby, finished school.  Baby Daddy manned up and married her. 1972. Her parents avoided the embarrassment of their unwed daughter. People used to care about proper upbringing. Now we just celebrate any and all deviant behaviors. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#39]
It's really very simple.

We were brought up with morals and respect.

Something very few millenials have a concept of.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:13:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This.  Telling everyone you're pregnant then losing it, and having to tell everyone that asks "how's the pregnancy" after that might be a little uncomfortable for some people, so they might avoid it as long as possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In Chinese culture, you don't talk about the baby before it gets here because you're afraid of jinxing it and losing it to miscarriage or stillbirth.
I'll tell you first hand that it sucks.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It was only the case of "polite" society.  Read that as middle-class and up Protestants.

My mom was number 9 of 16.  Germans from Kansas via Russia.  Having babies was the standard and while life was hard, children were considered a blessing from God.

However, Protestants did not see any religious reason to have children.  Children reduced discretionary income and having children was seen as rather low class.  Pregnancy was then nothing to be proud of.

BTW, stop getting your info from TV and the movies.   In real life, people weren't wrapped around the axle about stuff as the media prudes would have you think.
View Quote
Conservative, covenantal Protestants have always had large families.  Not Anglicans.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Two of my older brothers had shotgun weddings when I was a little kid in the early '60s.  All I knew at the time was that the females' parents got together with our parents late at night, they all got in cars and drove across state lines, then came back with married sons and daughters.  I thought for a long time that that was how things were done.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:51:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Propriety mostly.  Back in the day it wasn't all about the feelz and just running your fucking suck about anything that popped into your fucking pathetic, self-absorbed grape.  You have problems?  Keep them to yourself,.  Feeling rage, frustration, hate, angst???  STFU, put that shit in a box and screw that lid down tight.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:51:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm a millennial, so I wasn't around back in the day.

But most everyone that I know that was around before the 60s or so will say that anything involving pregnancy or being pregnant was a very taboo and unspoken subject.

The word itself wasn't even used. You were "expecting" at most. Women dressed in every possible way to try to show themselves as little as possible (this still exists today I suppose, "maternity clothes", but not as much?)

I don't really get it though. I can understand discussion of sex itself as being taboo, but why was pregnancy such a hush hush subject? Wasn't this the time of family values? If a married couple was having a child, why was there a need to be so quiet about it?
View Quote

Jeeze dude, it was not until the Brady Bunch that you saw a married couple in bed together.  Americans are prudes dude and always have been.  Your generation is the first to "get it".  The 60s hippies fucked around alot but were not main stream enough to affect the population as a whole.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#46]
OP thinks maternity clothes are there to "hide" the pregnancy?  Seriously?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well I'm sure people said cock and pussy too in certain situations.

Anecdote tells me that it wasn't thrown around like it is today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Real life isn't TV. People in real life said "pregnant".  
Well I'm sure people said cock and pussy too in certain situations.

Anecdote tells me that it wasn't thrown around like it is today.
Where are you getting this faulty notion?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Polite society said pregnant crude said knocked up.
Girls getting pregnant out of wedlock were a shame upon a family.
They either got married or went to the Catholic home to have the baby and the child was adopted by a good Catholic family.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It's really very simple.

We were brought up with morals and respect.

Something very few millenials have a concept of.
View Quote
Yep.  I am finding that my upbringing makes it difficult to navigate the modern world.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Jeeze dude, it was not until the Brady Bunch that you saw a married couple in bed together.  Americans are prudes dude and always have been.  Your generation is the first to "get it".  The 60s hippies fucked around alot but were not main stream enough to affect the population as a whole.
View Quote
Earlier than the Brady Bunch Hogan was banging Hilda in the back seat of Klinck's staff car.  

Then there was "Love American Style".
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top