Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/22/2017 6:08:13 PM EDT
I'm a millennial, so I wasn't around back in the day.

But most everyone that I know that was around before the 60s or so will say that anything involving pregnancy or being pregnant was a very taboo and unspoken subject.

The word itself wasn't even used. You were "expecting" at most. Women dressed in every possible way to try to show themselves as little as possible (this still exists today I suppose, "maternity clothes", but not as much?)

I don't really get it though. I can understand discussion of sex itself as being taboo, but why was pregnancy such a hush hush subject? Wasn't this the time of family values? If a married couple was having a child, why was there a need to be so quiet about it?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
We were founded by prudes, seeking refuge from kinky European sex fiends. Genetic memory.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea it happened a lot back then, they didn't like to talk about it until it was confirmed they were having a boy
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#3]
In Chinese culture, you don't talk about the baby before it gets here because you're afraid of jinxing it and losing it to miscarriage or stillbirth.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:10:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Real life isn't TV. People in real life said "pregnant".  
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
We even shortened it to "preggers".

The only taboo there was, was announcing it to early in case you lost the kid.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#6]
The sexual revolution happened in the 60's which kind of screwed stuff up unless you liked pussy.

By sexual revolution I mean that the pill was distributed via your local doctor/pharmacist so a woman could screw anyone without any repercussions.

Literally changed the world.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In Chinese culture, you don't talk about the baby before it gets here because you're afraid of jinxing it and losing it to miscarriage or stillbirth.
View Quote
It's not uncommon to not discuss pregnancy now until after the first trimester. Less likely to miscarry after the first so it's taboo to discuss it. It's also very personal when you lose one.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
It's gross and wierd. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Of course people talked about pregnancies.  They had plenty of names for it.  But pregnancy without being married was a huge embarrassment for the entire extended family.  We need to return to good healthy shame like those days.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I say, prego or baby host.

I get some looks from across the room.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well I'm sure people said cock and pussy too in certain situations.

Anecdote tells me that it wasn't thrown around like it is today.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#12]
there was a time, when you had children as part of raising a family and taking responsibility for the raising of those children. This required a certain amount of moral standards, and a willingness to provide for a family.

it was taboo to be pregnant without the support structure and commitment to properly raising a family in place.

Prudish? maybe, but we didn't have generations on welfare and women with dozens of baby daddies that have nothing to do with raising their offspring.

then the left, worked really hard to destroy the family, replacing it with the government, and removing the whole pregnant out of wedlock stigma. You don't need a family to raise a child, you have the government to provide.
while the sexual revolution may have been liberating, society as a whole took a hit.

there are no consequence, and damn few penalties to popping out as many kids from as many different fathers as you'd like.

This isn't a dig against all single mothers - there are, valid reason, just like then.

but the death of the family unit is the garden where a whole bunch of our current problems have sprung from.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, i dont know of any other taboo.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Of course people talked about pregnancies.  They had plenty of names for it.  But pregnancy without being married was a huge embarrassment for the entire extended family.  We need to return to good healthy shame like those days.
View Quote
If you feel no shame for your actions, you never learn to be better.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Women got pregnant back then.

The taboo was pregnancy before marriage.

Pregnant high school girls were generally booted out of school prior to the late 60s.

I was class of '69 and IIRC in my junior year a couple of pregnant girls were permitted to finish high school. It was a VERY new thing.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Unmarried girls were often "sent away" before they showed. The baby was given up for adoption in some cases. You didn't have Candy or Shaneka still going to school while pregnant. Kids that came from single parent homes got made fun of.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

But most everyone that I know that was around before the 60s or so will say that anything involving pregnancy or being pregnant was a very taboo and unspoken subject.
View Quote

I think you talked to one person who mentioned something approximating this so you started this thread.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I remember when pregnancy was talked about like an unwanted and unfortunate byproduct of sex or an STD.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sadly true.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Apparently it was a big thing when Lucy was able to look pregnant on "I Love Lucy," but there were limits:
http://www.avclub.com/article/more-than-60-years-ago-a-pregnant-lucille-ball-cou-100629

Lucy and Ricky also slept in twin beds. LOL.

"Ball’s onscreen pregnancy may not have been the first in television history—Mary Kay And Johnny beat it to that distinction back in 1948—but it’s notable for how high profile and, ultimately, successful it was. The script for “Lucy Is Enceinte” famously had to dance around saying the word “pregnant,” a term CBS deemed too vulgar for air, hence the French word for pregnancy in the episode title."
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I have heard that the term "pregnant" was considered medical and coarse. They would say "in a family way" or "with child". I could be totally wrong here.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We were founded by prudes, seeking refuge from kinky European sex fiends. Genetic memory.
View Quote
people tend to forget that Merry Ol' England conveniently exported all their Christian religious extremists to the American colonies up until 1776.  We have suffered from that Puritan influence ever since.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Like it or not, it was still a time when society was still trying to maintain some semblance of morality. You simply didn't get pregnant out of wedlock. My wife's older sister fooled around, got pregnant and had to ho to a "home" where she gave birth to a daughter. Believe it or don't, but up to around the mid 60's and late 60's in many places the stigma of having a "Sunny Jim," was heavily frowned upon. Then we all know what happened next.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Shortened it, to the same number of letters and syllables?

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Very true
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#26]
OP, I don't recall any taboo other than an out of wedlock pregnancy. Back then babies were to have both a mother and father living together. If for some reason the father died another man would step in be the acting father to the child. Most often the mother and child would go live with a relative.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#27]
In the 60's I grew up in a town of ~1000 people in SE Idaho. Nobody talked about sex, ever. I remember adults in mixed company asking questions of each other like: "Is Judy P.G. again?". They couldn't even make their mouths say the word 'pregnant'. However, the same men (mormon farmers) would speak of animal husbandry matters in the same social setting with startling alacrity. An example = on seeing a cow with a prolapsed uterus, they'd say stuff like: "she's draggin' her ole pussy all over the pasture".

I think that this cultural phenomenon is a product of the time and applicable local culture.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm not sure why pregnancy would be a taboo topic back then.

Out-of-wedlock or high school/teen pregnancy I could certainly understand, though.  Even as a millennial, I'm surprised at how many people now treat unwed pregnancy as being "normal."
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm 62 and I don't know what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#30]
There was a lot of social pressure against illegitimate pregnancies.  And consequently the illegitimacy rates were much, much lower.

A single woman who was pregnant was a slut.

A young teenager who "got in trouble" had to go live with her aunt in Kansas until she delivered.  
Then the baby was given up for adoption or raised by the girl's mom as her sister.

Most times, when a woman or late teenager got pregnant by her boyfriend he did the right thing and married her.

A woman who got an abortion was a slut.

This was the case into the early 80s.

There was no stigma against a married couple being pregnant.  It was celebrated.
We used more polite words like "expecting" or "with child".
"Fuck" was still such a bad word it was referred to as "The F'' Word".
"Vagina" was something a woman's doctor said to her.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I was around in the 50's. 60's etc. and I don't remember pregnancy being taboo.

Unwanted pregnancy yes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#32]
I grew up in the 60's and didn't see any of what you speak. Interracial relations was looked down upon as was out of wedlock pregnancy, but, no taboo on pregnancy for married couples.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

A.W.D.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A.W.D.
Wow lmao
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I read a book about the different generations. In it the author said there was a period of time when people from the "silent" generation (born in the 30s) were raising their kids (lates 60s and 70s) and people in general really disliked kids.

It was the do what feels good era. Resturaunts would not allow people to eat there with kids etc.  People wanted do all the free love shit and were all about doing there own thing. Raising kids was not their priority. The kids of that era were the dawn of gen x.

Anyway I think people didn't like being pregnant because it hindered all the hippy dippy love fest stuff.

ETA think Beatles generation
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Because its a depressing, terrible, curse. These days, we embrace depressing, terrible, curses. Back then, people knew better than to brag about ruining their own lives.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Quakers way back in Colonial America had little to no issue with the subject, and getting married whilst preggers wasn't the norm, it wasn't all that out of the ordinary either, and not something 'shameful'.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think you talked to one person who mentioned something approximating this so you started this thread.
View Quote
Okay.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#38]
We had a guy move in next door in the '60s.  Nice guy, from out of state, he was a night shift guard at the local Fed correctional medical facility (the same place where the Birdman of Alcatraz wound up).  His very pretty blonde daughter joined him at some point, obviously pregnant.  Then she was no longer pregnant, she had the kid and gave it away.  Then her ex-boyfriend from out of state showed up, would come around when the father was at work.  This went on for a while.  Late one night, lying in bed, we heard a gunshot.  The father came home from work the next morning, and found his daughter dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.  She'd gotten knocked up again, and ended herself.    I remember he showed up on our doorstep, crying his eyes out.  He got our dad to help him haul the blood stained mattress out to the back fence by the trash.  That bloody mattress was awful to see.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Before my grandmother I was close to died, we had a lot of discussion about things from back in the day. She was born in the late 20s and came of age in the 40s. 

This topic, of sorts, we discussed at times. The way she phrased it to me was sex happened no different than now it just wasn't out in the open like it is today. The only thing she ever mentioned about pregnancy specifically was being pregnant out of wedlock was VERY looked down upon. But otherwise, it was no big deal. 

I didn't ask but I'd imagine that women didn't throw it around as often then, but no doubt it happened. Human desire didn't magically change in the 60s. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Back in the late 60s, early '70s I heard a test from the doctor referred to as "the rabbit died" or "I'm stagnant" (really).
"Pregnant" was only used in an adult family context.

And kids really were told shit about storks and/or cabbage patches.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Women got pregnant back then.

The taboo was pregnancy before marriage.

Pregnant high school girls were generally booted out of school prior to the late 60s.

I was class of '69 and IIRC in my junior year a couple of pregnant girls were permitted to finish high school. It was a VERY new thing.
View Quote
Class of '80. We had ONE pregnant senior. She was ostracized by nearly everyone.  Nice girl, too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:55:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

people tend to forget that Merry Ol' England conveniently exported all their Christian religious extremists to the American colonies up until 1776.  We have suffered profited from that Puritan influence ever since.
View Quote
It's why we ain't Europe.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why?

'cause Jesus says so?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#45]
OP do you think Lucy and Ricky actually had two twin beds in real life?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The Quakers way back in Colonial America had little to no issue with the subject, and getting married whilst preggers wasn't the norm, it wasn't all that out of the ordinary either, and not something 'shameful'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If one goes back and reads the records, a very large number of 8th month, premature births of 7 pound babies happened.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#47]
My grandparents were talking the other night about young women getting disappeared to a distant aunt's house and their bastards being adopted out back in the 50's.

I do think that women made a concerted effort to not show off their pregnant bodies. It was viewed as unseemly, although it was no secret what condition they were it.

Phrases like "in the family way" do crack me up. It was just a less explicit way of speaking.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Uh, I'm pretty sure the only people for whom pregnancy itself was taboo was Shakers.   And they're pretty much extinct.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The word itself wasn't even used. You were "expecting" at most. Women dressed in every possible way to try to show themselves as little as possible (this still exists today I suppose, "maternity clothes", but not as much?)

I don't really get it though. I can understand discussion of sex itself as being taboo, but why was pregnancy such a hush hush subject? Wasn't this the time of family values? If a married couple was having a child, why was there a need to be so quiet about it?
View Quote

Because.  It was about when people actually gave a shit about what other people thought of them.  When things like family honor and morality meant a whole lot.   Taking responsibility and ensuring that your crotch spawn had a family and didn't grow up to be a shitbag
which would further destroy/malign the family name.    That means marrying the chick that you knocked up, taking responsibility for your actions, and ensuring your child was raised/reared properly.  When it wasn't and you just knocked some chick up---it was a stain upon the family honor and pointed towards loose morals (ie, the parents don't give a shit about their family) and altogether shitty family life.

It's too bad that people are shameless to this day.  If they still had this mindset, our country would be a hell of a better place right now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Unmarried girls were often "sent away" before they showed. The baby was given up for adoption in some cases. You didn't have Candy or Shaneka still going to school while pregnant. Kids that came from single parent homes got made fun of.
View Quote
Children born out of wedlock were/are bastards. 
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top