User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
damn driver
damn LS motor
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Driver has balls, looked like he was way crossed up a few times.  You'd have to shovel my underwear off the seat after a lap like that.

But it would be so worth it!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Jesus. Just watching that video was scary. I'd run out of talent real quick in a car like that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Driver looked like The Stig.

And I saw that speedo hit 183 briefly!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Somebody just did it in 6:46, not sure who, I don't drive that course very often  
View Quote
This one?

It's like a life size slot car.

NIO EP9 Breaks the Nurburgring Nordschleife Lap Record - May 12 2017
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, that is a hell of a track.  And a hell of a scary track at that speed.  Brother has balls.

Must have felt good knowing that last straightaway was at the end.  I was waiting to see if he would hit 170 MPH on it because he looked like he was just shy a couple of times earlier.  173 FTW.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#7]
At 1:27 (video time) he catches air at 167mph whoah I'm surprised the car can move under the weight of his testicules

Edit

And again at 5:54
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Face it.  The C7 looks too much like a kit car.  And I'm a vette lover.  I'd rather have the 1le ZL-1.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Last year I flogged a manual transmission SS Camero.

Yes, someone gave the keys to a pilot who was unsupervised by a responsible adult.
Bad idea.....

I was instantly transported from a semi responsible 54 year old professional
into a 17 year old delinquent.

I can only imagine what trouble I would get myself into with something like a ZL1.

It could make me imortal !!!

I do love me some new V8 Camero.

Can't get the wifey to give up her SUV
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:47:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And it's even got a real transmission.
View Quote
Yeah, I was actually surprised to see that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:35:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yes, someone gave the keys to a pilot who was unsupervised by a responsible adult.
Bad idea.....

I can only imagine what trouble I would get myself into with something like a ZL1.

View Quote
You can borrow mine!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:55:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh yeeeesssss !!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:18:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice video.

I never get tired of seeing that last straightaway where cars cruise up around 170.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:24:09 AM EDT
[#14]
In the world of Open Road Racing we would say "That guy was hauling the fucking mail"!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:37:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Not that guys first rodeo. Man that's a fast car.

It blows my mind how often people ask "the what" when I mention The Nurburgring.    
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:20:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I wish I could drive like that ...

I wish I had a car like that ...

I wish I had a track like that ...

I would end up spending all my money on gas and tires!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:29:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not that guys first rodeo. Man that's a fast car.

It blows my mind how often people ask "the what" when I mention The Nurburgring.    
View Quote
I always got the, "what are those squiggly lines on your car," as they pointed to the sticker on my back window.

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:58:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yea but what kind of mpg did he get? Does not look to be in Eco mode. All joking aside I would have killed my self in the first curve.

What time does a similar equipped/price wise Mustang would run?
View Quote
2015 GT 350 in 7:32.19.  New the GT350 is about 10k cheaper and in my humble opinion the cooler car.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:17:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is it just my uneducated eyes, or was he close to the edge several times?  It looked unstable in a few areas?
View Quote
He was damn near out of beer and trying to get to the store before closin time.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:43:42 AM EDT
[#20]
The driver is what impresses me on that video. I'm shocked the car didn't kill him.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:02:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Dude was definitely hustling that thing.

I wasn't a huge fan of the new generation of Camaro at first, but they have definitely proven their worth on the track and changed many of my preconceived notions.

That said, not many drivers are really rated for them

I watched one (2015) go into "back to the future" mode after sliding through the finish lights sideways before hitting a curb hard
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:09:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes, I have actually.  Not a ZL1, but I've test driven a 6th gen 1LE and spent about a week with base V6 6th gen rental.  I've also owned a 5th Gen ZL1, which was mercilessly abused for its poor visibility.  None of them really bothered me from a visibility standpoint to be honest.  The wife disagrees, but she's a foot shorter than I am so that might have something to do with it.  From my experience the key is to set the mirrors properly.  I find that the visibility from most newer cars doesn't seem to be as good as my older stuff.  Could be my imagination, though.

I'll admit that am not a fan of the interior layout of the 6th gen Camaro.  If storage space and cup holders are what you're after then this is not the car for you.
View Quote
The 5th gen was one of few cars that I could comfortably fit into. Then I sat in one noticed the visibly and wrote it off. I started reading about the ss1le and was intrigued enough to find out that the visibility issues are reportedly worse?  If it's truely all in the mirror I may go test drive one this weekend as it was wine I was considering,
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:18:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm not *into* this stuff so forgive me, but I looked up the track and there are tons of versions and variations.

What configuration did this guy run in the Camaro?
View Quote
"Nordschleife" it's basically the standard for auto manufactures as far as performance cars go. That was one of the top 20 times ever posted by a production car.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:18:46 AM EDT
[#24]
That car was not set up properly. It was all over the track and the tires were not happy. That was a suicide lap.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:21:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The driver is what impresses me on that video. I'm shocked the car didn't kill him.
View Quote
No shit, seemed he was at full steering lock about 30% of the time, and that car was all over the place.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:24:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

"Nordschleife" it's basically the standard for auto manufactures as far as performance cars go. That was one of the top 20 times ever posted by a production car.
View Quote
Even on the Nordschleife there are different Start/Finish lines...  It appears to me that they used the industry standard lines.  However, some times you see are "Bridge to Gantry," however those are typically "unofficial" Touristenfahrten times.

This guy thinks it's all stupid. 

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:26:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That car was not set up properly. It was all over the track and the tires were not happy. That was a suicide lap.
View Quote
That's the how the place is... Watch any race lap from VLN or N24.

For that matter, check out:  "Yellowbird and Nuerburgring" on Youtube.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:38:18 AM EDT
[#28]
It may be quick, but it's a butterface.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:44:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The 5th gen was one of few cars that I could comfortably fit into. Then I sat in one noticed the visibly and wrote it off. I started reading about the ss1le and was intrigued enough to find out that the visibility issues are reportedly worse?  If it's truely all in the mirror I may go test drive one this weekend as it was wine I was considering,
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I have actually.  Not a ZL1, but I've test driven a 6th gen 1LE and spent about a week with base V6 6th gen rental.  I've also owned a 5th Gen ZL1, which was mercilessly abused for its poor visibility.  None of them really bothered me from a visibility standpoint to be honest.  The wife disagrees, but she's a foot shorter than I am so that might have something to do with it.  From my experience the key is to set the mirrors properly.  I find that the visibility from most newer cars doesn't seem to be as good as my older stuff.  Could be my imagination, though.

I'll admit that am not a fan of the interior layout of the 6th gen Camaro.  If storage space and cup holders are what you're after then this is not the car for you.
I found the 5th gen to be more comfortable and with more useable interior space than the 6th gen.  The 6th gen is all-around a more compact and lighter package, though.  So that's the trade-off.

I use the mirror adjustment method that SAE recommended some years back and find it to work really well in most cases.  Like a lot of modern cars the 5th and 6th gen F-bodies have chunky C pillars, which this adjustment method helps overcome.  Of course you still get the high belt line and short windshield that is a function of the design and ever more intrusive safety elements, but overall the mirror placement goes a long way to making these cars (and most cars for that matter) more driver-friendly IMO.

This guy has a pretty good YouTube video illustrating the SAE mirror setup method and he includes a link to a Car & Driver article on the subject as well:

How To Adjust Your Car Mirrors To Eliminate Blind Spots SAE
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Very surprising that it didn't break down on the lap.
View Quote
I take it you don't have that much experience with LS motors.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#31]
I saw the speedo tap 173
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very surprising that it didn't break down on the lap.
Apparently the Corvettes with the same engine tend to shit their pants on the track...

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2017/06/14/gm-facing-class-action-lawsuit-c7-corvette-z06s-cooling-issues/
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Badass!  Murica bitchezz!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Very Impressive.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Camero (sic) threads are starting to become more entertaining than Civil War, Pit Bull, and Cop threads.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Miata/Euro fags are having a tough time with this one lol.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
dudes got calm nerves. I thought he was going to crash 3-4 times.
View Quote
Hell, I crashed my chair just watching it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Apparently the Corvettes with the same engine tend to shit their pants on the track...

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2017/06/14/gm-facing-class-action-lawsuit-c7-corvette-z06s-cooling-issues/
View Quote
From a cooling standpoint I'd be cautious in comparing the two platforms.  For one, packaging constraints in the Y-body cars have always presented challenges and, two, by all accounts the Camaro team has done its homework with the LT4 application in the F-body.  The original 6th gen ZL1 press cars had the shit beat out of them on track for hours on end without any notable issues (both A10 and M6 versions).  Do a little research on the cooling upgrades that were done to the ZL1 (I'm talking "base" ZL1 - if there is such a thing - now, not just the new 1LE variant) and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  

Regarding the C7 cooling issues, take a look at what Tikt is doing with the C7 package for cooling for serious track use.  Also, take a look at the C7 ZR1 spy shots floating around and notice the increase in frontal air inlet area vs the C7 Z06.  This is pretty telling IMO.

It's refreshing that GM is allowing the Camaro team freedom to go build the best cars that they can.  That old stereotype that GM purposely props up the Corvette at the expense of Camaro is no longer applicable.  Actually, I'd say the Corvette boys are playing catch-up at this point.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#39]
I went to look at the then new 2016 Camaro SS, and it's a pretty neat car, but I did not like the view from the seat. I have owned many camaros, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2002 SS, but instead went with a Corvette Grand Sport. Lighter, and a better view. I am amazed at how far the Camaro has come lately. The ZL1 is really a beast.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#40]
I love driving like that. I so badly want to take my car on the ring. Before I bought my Camaro, I was worried about visibility but then I drove it and got used to it pretty damn quick.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

you really think GM would release a video of their brand new car with a showroom fresh off the line sample? that car probably had more work done to it than a formula 1 car.

bang for the buck? its $70,000.
View Quote
What was the Enzo's time? And price?
Yes,  probably the best value in that arena today.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I thought the ZL1 ran an auto as well? If it does, it would probably be good for a few more seconds off that time.
View Quote
The 1le is manual.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Have you ever sat in one?  It has the worst visibility of any car in its class.
View Quote
i don't have any issues.  It's no Camry,  but, it's not a Camry.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Made my palms sweat just watching it.

Meanwhile...there are hundreds of Corvette ZR1 and Z06 owners who are super pissed that their cars go into limp mode after a few minutes of hot lapping at the track.  And GM engineers don't appear to have an answer to their problems.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Face it.  The C7 looks too much like a kit car.  And I'm a vette lover.  I'd rather have the 1le ZL-1.  YMMV.
View Quote
As a C6 owner considering an upgrade... this ZL-1 makes a pretty fucking difficult argument compared to a base C7.  You can load one of these up under $70k... which is less than a 3LT base vette. 

Depreciation is the problem.  I expect these won't depreciate nearly as badly as base C7's do.  It's a good thing to see that they are not crippling the ZL-1 like they have done so often in the past to keep things in the lineup relative.  But damn do they need to up the base Vette's game now.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

And doesn't pull in high gear.
View Quote
Most cars don't.  It's there for mpg
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Nice work GM.  I wasnt expecting a mid teen out of this.  13 seconds faster than the non 1LE ZL1 and faster than the ZR1.  Very impressive.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What's the story with the wheel-mounted paddles in a true manual tranny car? Are those just a carry-over from the 10spd auto version?
View Quote
I don't know for sure, but some of the manuals have the wheel.  GM is doing interesting things with these.  Like remote start.  Every Camaro has it.  But if you don't pay for it,  they leave the antenna in the dash and issue key fobs without the button.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think it'd be a more accurate statement if the lap was maybe 60 seconds slower in a supercar... but this is razor's edge type performance in a big fatass Camaro.

When you're moving like that... everything is exaggerated.  They made the current gen lighter but it's still by no means light.  There's gonna be some brute forcing involved moving something that heavy around that track that fast.  And if nothing else the video does a more convincing job than most that there's some work to do if you expect to push this car to its limits.  I can respect that.

Wonder if the 10 speed will be faster...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Bad idea.....

View Quote
Mine wanted the Camaro,  but only if it was an SS.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top