Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you really think GM would release a video of their brand new car with a showroom fresh off the line sample? that car probably had more work done to it than a formula 1 car.

bang for the buck? its $70,000.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...and those tires were not happy about it.
Imagine that thing with some chassis tuning, on slicks
you really think GM would release a video of their brand new car with a showroom fresh off the line sample? that car probably had more work done to it than a formula 1 car.

Considering it lapped the ring faster than a Ferrari 488 GTB($240k base price)... even at $70k, it is great bang for ones buck.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#2]
How fast does a fast motorcycle go around that thing?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Very surprising that it didn't break down on the lap.
View Quote
It did on the first turn. It's momentum from being an overweight piece of shit carried it through the rest of the course 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think there are many folks who could get more out of that car. 

He pushed the edge of that car; numerous times.

Dude can clearly drive.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#6]
170 mph. Mmmm not bad.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Needs more Sabine Schmidt.
View Quote
This exactly
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#9]
As a few said it maybe expensive for a Camaro but it's cheap in terms of performance per $. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That car was tight as hell. You could tell it was pushing the front tires through the turns repeatedly.

As DW would say "It was pushing like a dump truck." Loosen it up and bit and it would have been WAY faster.

That is a hell of a car and that is a hell of a driver.

I think we have talked about how they make the cars from the factory tight like that so they are not as dangerous for the *shitty drivers. (*really mere mortal drivers, so it is all relative I guess )
View Quote
A lot of it has to do with 650 hp trying to crank the rear out constantly too, that is not a good combo on a loose setup........
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#11]
And how many of these cars will ever be driven in anger?

Also, is GM selling this in Europe?  Will their be a VLN/N24/GT Masters spec car?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
All it had was safety equipment and data collection stuff.  Thats how GM rolls.  They arent Ferrari who will use 'magazine specials.'
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How fast does a fast motorcycle go around that thing?
View Quote

Not very.  Motorcycles are a lot of fun, but despite a great advantage in power to weight, will always suffer from tiny contact patches relative to a car.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
And it's even got a real transmission.
View Quote
Shifted it like a Jericho Cup box!  Test driver Dude was on it.

I miss my Z.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#15]
The "you are here" dot can't keep up.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#16]
No denying that's one hell of a bargain, but remember, unless a single driver tests all the cars on that list on the same day, the times are not the final say on relative performance.

If I had enough money to buy any car on that list, I'd have to take the 488GTB. It's a two seater, plus it's aesthetically the most beautiful car.

That said, I'd tongue shovel Rosie O'Donald's ditch for a chance to drive any of em.

But yeah, that's a hell of a bargain. I'm guessing dealers won't be able to keep them on the lot. Which brings up another point. What will street price be? $105,000?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No denying that's one hell of a bargain, but remember, unless a single driver tests all the cars on that list on the same day, the times are not the final say on relative performance.

If I had enough money to buy any car on that list, I'd have to take the 488GTB. It's a two seater, plus it's aesthetically the most beautiful car.

That said, I'd tongue shovel Rosie O'Donald's ditch for a chance to drive any of em.

But yeah, that's a hell of a bargain. I'm guessing dealers won't be able to keep them on the lot. Which brings up another point. What will street price be? $105,000?
View Quote
Standards my man, one must have them

Of the various quicker lap times I've watched on the Ring, that by far is the squirreliest  ride I've seen.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Does it come with cinder blocks?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Have you ever sat in one?  It has the worst visibility of any car in its class.
View Quote
Yes, I have actually.  Not a ZL1, but I've test driven a 6th gen 1LE and spent about a week with base V6 6th gen rental.  I've also owned a 5th Gen ZL1, which was mercilessly abused for its poor visibility.  None of them really bothered me from a visibility standpoint to be honest.  The wife disagrees, but she's a foot shorter than I am so that might have something to do with it.  From my experience the key is to set the mirrors properly.  I find that the visibility from most newer cars doesn't seem to be as good as my older stuff.  Could be my imagination, though.

I'll admit that am not a fan of the interior layout of the 6th gen Camaro.  If storage space and cup holders are what you're after then this is not the car for you.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm not *into* this stuff so forgive me, but I looked up the track and there are tons of versions and variations.

What configuration did this guy run in the Camaro?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Badass.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
And doesn't pull in high gear.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

the last straight in an interesting thing to compare cars on. the new honda civic type r is only 2 or 3 mph slower on that same straight. of course the camaro buries it in lap time but its an interesting point of comparison.
View Quote
It's the price you pay for the aero among other things.  

For comparison, Jim Mero hit 183mph on the straight in the last iteration of C6 ZR1 with the Pilot Sport Cup tires and still ran a slower time of 7:19.63.

Corvette ZR1 returns to Nurburgring for new record (On Board)
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And doesn't pull in high gear.
View Quote
Supercruise
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Have you ever sat in one?  It has the worst visibility of any car in its class.
View Quote
What the fuck does visibility have to do with value?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Very surprising that it didn't break down on the lap.
View Quote
fucktard.

How many LS powered vehicles have you owned?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Is it just my uneducated eyes, or was he close to the edge several times?  It looked unstable in a few areas?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That car was tight as hell. You could tell it was pushing the front tires through the turns repeatedly.

As DW would say "It was pushing like a dump truck." Loosen it up and bit and it would have been WAY faster.

That is a hell of a car and that is a hell of a driver.

I think we have talked about how they make the cars from the factory tight like that so they are not as dangerous for the *shitty drivers. (*really mere mortal drivers, so it is all relative I guess )
View Quote
thank you for pointing that out... I knew something looked wrong, and now I understand.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Is it just my uneducated eyes, or was he close to the edge several times?  It looked unstable in a few areas?
View Quote
Oh yeah.  There were a few pucker moments
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#30]
What an awesome car.  I just want a regular 'ole 1SS with 1LE package (really, really bad).
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your ignorance is showing....  the stock tire compound on the ZL1 and Z06 is as soft as most slicks. They just have grooves cut in them to make them DOT compliant
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#32]
It went 230 meters further than the rest.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#33]
That was awesome.  I love this - I honestly can't wait to watch Chevy/Ford/Dodge continue to leap-frog each other for the next 10-15 years.  Oh the sex machines we will see...  Murica!!  
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Damn, that was great. Seeing the couple of exterior shots really gives a good feel for the speed. That man can drive.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That was awesome.  I love this - I honestly can't wait to watch Chevy/Ford/Dodge continue to leap-frog each other for the next 10-15 years.  Oh the sex machines we will see...  Murica!!  
View Quote
I just wouldn't' expect Ford to keep doing it with a V8 for much longer.

Given the new Ford GT and Raptor, it looks like they are going all in with the Ecoboost stuff. It wouldn't surprise me to see them do away with the V8 Mustangs next refresh.

Frankly, unless the Trump administration does something about CAFE standards, we might be seeing the crescendo of the muscle/sports/super/hyper car wars.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Absolutely. It's kind of a big deal among manufacturers and I've been reading 'ring times in various car mags for years.

What else for $70k can you get that runs those times?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yea but what kind of mpg did he get? Does not look to be in Eco mode. All joking aside I would have killed my self in the first curve.

What time does a similar equipped/price wise Mustang would run?
View Quote
Mustangs
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

pushrods only belong in diesels.
View Quote
And 24 hour LeMans engines
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#40]
That driver needs to step aside so a professional like myself can show him how to do a proper heel-and-toe downshift.

Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Given the new Ford GT and Raptor, it looks like they are going all in with the Ecoboost stuff. It wouldn't surprise me to see them do away with the V8 Mustangs next refresh.

Frankly, unless the Trump administration does something about CAFE standards, we might be seeing the crescendo of the muscle/sports/super/hyper car wars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People have been predicting the end of high-performance cars for as long as I can remember.

Ford will always keep a V8 in the Mustang GT because of the "muh V8" crowd. The 3.7L V6 is making 300 horsepower and the 5.0L V8 is making 435 horsepower, set to be 455 horsepower for the 2018 model year - which also happens to be when they're killing the V6.

The previous generation of Mustangs had a 4.0L V6 making 210 horsepower, and a 4.6L V8 making 300 horsepower when they debuted.

With progress like that, the V8 will stick around but continue to shrink in displacement while gaining horsepower and improving gas mileage. It'll HAVE to lose displacement, because the V8 already gives you an absurd amount of power for a ~$30,000 car and everything else (brakes, suspension, transmission, etc.) have to keep up with the engine.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:47:27 PM EDT
[#42]
What's the story with the wheel-mounted paddles in a true manual tranny car? Are those just a carry-over from the 10spd auto version?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Somebody just did it in 6:46, not sure who, I don't drive that course very often  
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

People have been predicting the end of high-performance cars for as long as I can remember.

Ford will always keep a V8 in the Mustang GT because of the "muh V8" crowd. The 3.7L V6 is making 300 horsepower and the 5.0L V8 is making 435 horsepower, set to be 455 horsepower for the 2018 model year - which also happens to be when they're killing the V6.

The previous generation of Mustangs had a 4.0L V6 making 210 horsepower, and a 4.6L V8 making 300 horsepower when they debuted.

With progress like that, the V8 will stick around but continue to shrink in displacement while gaining horsepower and improving gas mileage. It'll HAVE to lose displacement, because the V8 already gives you an absurd amount of power for a ~$30,000 car and everything else (brakes, suspension, transmission, etc.) have to keep up with the engine.
View Quote
I thought Ford dropped the V-6 in the mustang for 2018
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're gonna want to re-read my post.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You're gonna want to re-read my post.
View Quote
What's this "reading" stuff you speak of??    
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What's the story with the wheel-mounted paddles in a true manual tranny car? Are those just a carry-over from the 10spd auto version?
View Quote
Seems like a bit of an oddity to me, but the paddles carry over on the manual trans cars where they are used to engage/disengage the rev matching feature.

Here's a video describing it:

2016 / 2017 Chevrolet Camaro Rev Match - What Is It?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
But it did 175 mph 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What's this "reading" stuff you speak of??    
View Quote
I'm not busting your balls, but that^ is GD in a nutshell
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top