Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ARF proves once again that it's both a great source of up to the second info, and a cesspool of ignorance.

Thanks to those providing useful info.

Prayers for the injured.
View Quote
I'm late to the party. Is everyone accounted for? I saw a report of sailors missing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I couldn't even join reserves I've been diabetic since I was 17 insulin dependent. So I was fucked before I had a chance. Also I am not some fat guy either 6'1" 205 pounds and I walk and work out daily. My comments above are just that my shock at how bad our country is at protecting itself.
View Quote
If you're going to be the biggest Navy afloat, you're gonna hit shit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I can see the hole below water line I think...(from big pic posted earlier).  2:30am hull breach jesus.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Neither could the Fitzgerald's OOW.

Just how many people would be on watch in the wheelhouse underway on a Burke?
View Quote
port, stbd and aft watches, ood, bmow, qmow, cic watch on the bridge at minimum.

least thats what was there on the tincan i was on.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Bring her home
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

At least the seas look calm. Maybe a 4-6 ft swell. I hope they can get the ship in port before any weather sets in.

does the navy have any fleet tugs in Yakuska?

I'm sure a Japanese civilian tug can be sent out to stand by.
View Quote
yes. i want to see pics once shes in dry dock.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm late to the party. Is everyone accounted for? I saw a report of sailors missing.
View Quote
I saw 7 still unaccounted for earlier.

Someone else touched on it, but that cargo ship, it does appear to be cracked horizontally across the bow.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If the container ship was within the 112 1/2 degree arc of the stbd side light it was not overtaking, it was crossing.  Crossing vessel within that arc is stand on vessel.

I was a 3rd mate on container ships years ago.  One thing I remember clearly is that gray boats often felt entitled to right of way even when they had no right to it. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well I think that changes things. The merchant was overtaking?

ETA: One was overtaking the other.
If the container ship was within the 112 1/2 degree arc of the stbd side light it was not overtaking, it was crossing.  Crossing vessel within that arc is stand on vessel.

I was a 3rd mate on container ships years ago.  One thing I remember clearly is that gray boats often felt entitled to right of way even when they had no right to it. 
My only qualifications are helmsman and lookout on a submarine. That and many years of department training on collisions and groundings. But after looking at the pics again, the only thing that makes sense to me is one turning in front of the other in an overtaking scenario.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:04:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:06:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Someone else touched on it, but that cargo ship, it does appear to be cracked horizontally across the bow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Memorial Day 2020 - U.S. Naval Academy Glee Club - U.S.S. Arizona Memorial
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like a hose to me.

Edit. No I see a big fucking hole behind the hose.
Maybe
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Another perspective.

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#16]
bring her home

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I was ignoring the fire hose when circling the hole with M$paint... now I notice it's the only one under water.   (in my mom's basement on computer screen)

so they've airlifted one sailor.  I hope that's the end of it but I fear the worst.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My only qualifications are helmsman and lookout on a submarine. That and many years of department training on collisions and groundings. But after looking at the pics again, the only thing that makes sense to me is one turning in front of the other in an overtaking scenario.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well I think that changes things. The merchant was overtaking?

ETA: One was overtaking the other.

I've seen almost identical damage from crossing situations that turned stupid. We'll know for certain soon enough.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Where the container ship cell phone video?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Last report I heard was 7 missing, CO seriously injured.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Story just broke on the local news. I knew it would be here first. 
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If its made of steel, it can be fixed.
View Quote
3000 deg anneal will fix anything made of steel 
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
lol how do you collide with a container ship, in the ocean, with all that technology?
View Quote
What I was wondering too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#24]
From the USNI:

Seven sailors are missing after a U.S. guided-missile destroyer collided with a Philippine-flagged container ship off the coast of Japan, a Navy official confirmed to USNI News on Friday night.USS Fitzgerald (DDG-62) collided with ACX Crystal at about 02:30 AM on Saturday local time or about 1:30 PM EST on Friday, U.S. 7th Fleet told USNI News. The collision resulted in significant damage to the destroyer, the loss of the seven sailors and a serious injury to the ship’s commander, the Navy official confirmed to USNI News. “The Japanese Coast Guard is on scene and providing assistance at the request of the U.S. Navy. Japan Coast Guard cutters Izunami and Kano are on station, as well as a helicopter,” U.S. 7th Fleet said in a statement around 7 PM EST. Ship commander Cmdr. Bryce Benson has been medevaced from the destroyer and a second medical evacuation was in progress, a Navy official told USNI News.“USS Fitzgerald suffered damage on her starboard side above and below the waterline. The collision resulted in some flooding. The ship’s crew is responding to the casualty. The full extent of damage is being determined,” the statement said.
Fitzgerald is under her own power, although her propulsion is limited.”Two Navy tugs, destroyer USS Dewey (DDG-105) and Navy aircraft have been dispatched to assist the ship.Navy Times reported, “that Auxiliary Machine Room 1 and two crew berthings were completely flooded. Given the late hour, most crewmembers not standing watch would be in the berthing.”The condition of Crystal is unknown at this time.Press reports from Japan said that some sailors from the ship were unaccounted for but a Navy spokesman would not confirm the information when contacted by USNI News.Fitzgerald is part of the U.S. Forward Deployed Naval Forces based in mainland Japan and attached to U.S. 7th Fleet.

The following is the complete statement from U.S. 7th Fleet. PHILIPPINE SEA (NNS) — USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) was involved in a collision with a
merchant vessel at approximately 2:30 a.m. local time, June 17, while operating about 56 nautical miles southwest of Yokosuka, Japan.The Japanese Coast Guard is on scene and providing assistance at the request of the U.S. Navy. Japan Coast Guard cutters IZUNAMI and KANO are on station, as well as a helicopter.The USS Fitzgerald is under her own power, although her propulsion is limited.The USS Fitzgerald suffered damage on her starboard side above and below the waterline. The collision resulted in some flooding. The ship’s crew is responding to the casualty. The full extent of damage is being determined.The extent of number of personnel injuries is being determined. Currently working with the Japanese Coast Guard to conduct a medevac via helicopter for one Sailor.The USS Dewey (DDG 105), medical assistance and two Navy tugs are being dispatched as quickly as practicable to provide assistance. Naval aircraft are also being readied.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Story just broke on the local news. I knew it would be here first. 
View Quote
In multiple dupes. There is no reason to start a breaking news thread unless you are watching it occur.  And you post it fast.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Looks repairable (even considering the underwater damage assuming the flooding is under control).

Maybe $5-10m to fix (but being a Government contract it will turn into a $25-50m project)
View Quote
Found a more zoomed out version; doesn't look like she has much freeboard left around the flight deck.

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#28]

A classic!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Looks repairable (even considering the underwater damage assuming the flooding is under control).

Maybe $5-10m to fix (but being a Government contract it will turn into a $25-50m project)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Waaaaay more than that. For starters, you'll notice one of the SPY emitters is wrecked. Deckhouses on Aegis ships are built to incredibly tight tolerances, so there's a ton of metal and wiring that needs to be cut out and replaced.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Wow, 2 berthing areas completely flooded during night watch and only 7 missing. That's amazing, I'd expect more. I would assume all 7 to be lost unfortunately.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The more and more I see shit like this it boggles my mind. Seriously were supposed to be the best military in the world and we cannot stop jets from flying into buildings, and terrorists out of our country. What the hell will a navy destroyer ever destroy in war if it cannot avoid a civilian cargo ship. Now the Japanese know instead of warships to fight our fleet just get the civilian ships to take out our navy. Bumper boat wars. I suppose our tax dollars will pay for this shit to. Between U.N. cutting our nuts off to fight wars and our countries growing incompetence I am thinking we will never win another conflict until we tell them all to fuck off. If that captain did his job  or the officer on the deck had. That boat would be 100% and cargo ship would have been sunk to avoid this.
View Quote
Damn bro, chill
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I thought they had radar.
Somebody's naval career will be coming to an end.
View Quote
At almost two billion dollars a pop for burkes, it should.  No excuse for that shit.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#34]
You mean to tellme that the Navy ship could not have gotten out of the way.

Really?

Hate to be that Captain..

ETA

15. Crossing situationsWhen two power-driven vessels are crossing, the vessel which has the other on the starboard side must give way and avoid crossing ahead of
her.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Regulations_for_Preventing_Collisions_at_Sea#cite_note-full_text_COLREGS-11][11][/url][page needed] The saying is "If to starboard red appear, 'tis your duty to keep clear".[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Regulations_for_Preventing_Collisions_at_Sea#cite_note-18][18][/url] "...Act as judgement says is proper: port or starboard, back or stop her."16. The give-way vesselThe give-way vessel must take early and substantial action to keep well clear

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:27:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You ever do that confused shuffle in a hallway or bump into someone while walking?  How about a "slam on the brakes" moment in a car?  That's how, just with worse maneuverability.
View Quote
Not even close ETC. More like piss poor watch standing and contact management. Nothing absolves the responsibility to avoid collision at sea. Heads will roll and rightfully so. Between the bridge watch team and combat this was avoidable.
Stood many bridge and combat watches in 20 years as a SWO.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Now that I know the name of the other ship I can look up its track line.

In this first pic, which I suspect is just before the impact the ACX Crystal is going close to 18kts.

Attachment Attached File

In this second screenshot you see the Crystal has turned back and is down to steerageway. I suspect she turned back to render assistance to the Fitz.

Attachment Attached File

If you look at that track line at the point where I suspect the collision happened you will see the Crystal made a stbd turn, as the rules require when risk of collision is eminent.

You guys can go to MarineTraffic.com/ais and look for yourselves.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Looking awful low in the water.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sounds like berthings 1 and 2 flooded, along with AUX1.  A lot of people in there, wouldn't be surprised if some never made it out.

Captain seriously injured, his stateroom is in that area.
View Quote
Damn...

I used to sleep on port side of berthing 1.  In the pictures, it looks like the captain's stateroom was hit.  I'm sure berthing 2 got fucked up.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#39]
You suppose they have flooded compartments below the waterline?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The more and more I see shit like this it boggles my mind. Seriously were supposed to be the best military in the world and we cannot stop jets from flying into buildings, and terrorists out of our country. What the hell will a navy destroyer ever destroy in war if it cannot avoid a civilian cargo ship. Now the Japanese know instead of warships to fight our fleet just get the civilian ships to take out our navy. Bumper boat wars. I suppose our tax dollars will pay for this shit to. Between U.N. cutting our nuts off to fight wars and our countries growing incompetence I am thinking we will never win another conflict until we tell them all to fuck off. If that captain did his job  or the officer on the deck had. That boat would be 100% and cargo ship would have been sunk to avoid this.
View Quote
Wow.  No words for this level of ignorance.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You suppose they have flooded compartments below the waterline?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

My bet? $350-500mil. The Cole cost $250mil.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Seriously, how in the blue fuck does me not wanting to see anybody injured; never mind the fucking fact that personnel are already injured and I am hoping that their injuries aren't severe at lease according to the reports I read warrant a ban this motherfucker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone please ban this motherfucker asap!
Seriously, how in the blue fuck does me not wanting to see anybody injured; never mind the fucking fact that personnel are already injured and I am hoping that their injuries aren't severe at lease according to the reports I read warrant a ban this motherfucker.
Does this mean if he has an auto correct he himself will leave.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:34:33 PM EDT
[#45]
The cargo ship.

More
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:35:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You mean to tellme that the Navy ship could not have gotten out of the way.

Really?

Hate to be that Captain..
View Quote
Commander of that ship for only a month.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Now that I know the name of the other ship I can look up its track line.

In this first pic, which I suspect is just before the impact the ACX Crystal is going close to 18kts.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298946/IMG-2919-232356.JPG

In this second screenshot you see the Crystal has turned back and is down to steerageway. I suspect she turned back to render assistance to the Fitz.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/298946/IMG-2920-232358.JPG

If you look at that track line at the point where I suspect the collision happened you will see the Crystal made a stbd turn, as the rules require when risk of collision is eminent.

You guys can go to MarineTraffic.com/ais and look for yourselves.
View Quote
When it takes that 90 deg to starboard it barely slowed down (only a couple of knots).  In fact it never really reduced speed until it made the turn back to the SW.  Strange.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Be safe.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
When it takes that 90 deg to starboard it barely slowed down (only a couple of knots).  In fact it never really reduced speed until it made the turn back to the SW.  Strange.
View Quote
These fixes aren't in real time. Some amount of time could have happened between one fix and another.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:39:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
All of what I said was wrong, per the above poster who seems to have a better understanding.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top