BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 24
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:25:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still screwed...it's just a weird Navy Thing.

The USN Captain who shot down a Iranian Airliner got a fricken Medal go figure.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So if I'm understanding this correctly the crew on duty on the fitz screwed the pooch for wha

tever reason and the collision occurred. The captain was asleep when it occurred and presumably he is allowed to sleep at some point. Is he still screwed? 
Still screwed...it's just a weird Navy Thing.

The USN Captain who shot down a Iranian Airliner got a fricken Medal go figure.....
If you're going to screw up, screw up bigly enough that it will be embarrassing to the service and the country if anyone admits that it was a mistake.

See Shane Osborn
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

About the same number of service members died in the Cold War as died in Viet Nam.
View Quote
My father spent the better part of a exercise off Point Loma doing SAR, where in that week, more men were lost in exercise than in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#3]
U.S. warship stayed on deadly collision course despite warning-container ship captain

In the first detailed account from one of those directly involved, the cargo ship's captain said the ACX Crystal had signalled with flashing lights after the Fitzgerald "suddenly" steamed on to a course to cross its path.

The container ship steered hard to starboard (right) to avoid the warship, but hit the Fitzgerald 10 minutes later at 1:30 a.m., according to a copy of Captain Ronald Advincula's report to Japanese ship owner Dainichi Investment Corporation that was seen by Reuters.

The U.S. Navy declined to comment and Reuters was not able to independently verify the account.
View Quote
I'll be glad when the investigation is out
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#4]
That seems an odd statement.

And there's the 1:30 AM time again.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
yup. Very strange.

And the math doesn't work either.

Went hard to stbd, and then colloided 10 mins later.? While doing 18 +/- knots?
10 mins to change course by 500 ft +/-?

ETA - thats ~3 miles to change course by 500 ft?
I dont know how maneuverable big ships are, but gotta be better than this,
otherwise they would never get into a harbor.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#6]

USS Fitzgerald completely ignored Japanese cargo ship before deadly collision as crew attempted to get the Americans' attention by flashing
lights and sounding horns            
  • The ACX Crystal container ship tried to get the attention of the USS Fitzgerald
    before a fatal crash in the early hours of June 17 according to the
    captain
  • Captain Ronald Advincula's report claims the USS Fitzgerald ignore his ship as they sounded horns
    and flashed lights to get attention of the missile destroyer
  • It was the Fitzgerald that sailed into the container ship's path
    according to the captain of the Japanese boat, who was forced to steer
    hard to starboard 
  • The two vessels still crashed 10 minutes after that right turn according to Captain Ronald Advincula's report 
  • Seven crew members of the USS Fitzgerald were killed in the crash 
  • A spokesman for the U.S. Navy's Seventh Fleet in Yokosuka, the
    Fitzgerald's home port, said he was unable to comment on an ongoing
    investigation 

Link
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes

If they went hard to starboard prior to the collision, as their track shows, then how did their port bow impact the destroyer starboard midships?

From the damage and the track I believe that hard starboard turn was post collision in order to open space between the vessels.

That will be confirmed or ruled out when the investigation is complete.

Biggest takeaway from that story:

(Captain) Advincula, who is no longer in Japan, could not be reached to comment.

Fled to Philippines?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's when the collision occurred.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

USS Fitzgerald completely ignored Japanese cargo ship before deadly collision as crew attempted to get the Americans' attention by flashing
  • The ACX Crystal container ship tried to get the attention of the USS Fitzgerald
    captain
  • Captain Ronald Advincula's report claims the USS Fitzgerald ignore his ship as they sounded horns
    hard to starboard 
  • The two vessels still crashed 10 minutes after that right turn according to Captain Ronald Advincula's report 
    investigation 

Link
View Quote

Because...the container ship doesn't have a maritime radio...
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Link
View Quote
DailyMail link
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If they went hard to starboard prior to the collision, as their track shows, then how did their port bow impact the destroyer starboard midships?

From the damage and the track I believe that hard starboard turn was post collision in order to open space between the vessels.

View Quote
Couldn't happen any other way.  If their STARBOARD bow hit, then you could be rightly confused.  

In extremis situation, and the containership is not maneuverable enough to avoid the collision.  If it was US jurisdiction, the mate would be faulted for waiting too long before maneuvering, even though they were the stand-on vessel.  Being stand-on does not relieve you of responsibility to avoid a collision.  I don't know where he got his license, or what their procedures are, but if he had a US license, he could expect to hear the term "RS4450."

Nonetheless, it's clear FITZGERALD caused the collision.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

DailyMail link
View Quote

This caption doesn't match the notes on the image:

"Desperate to avoid disaster: The ACX Crystal made a U-turn (path above) to try and avoid colliding with the USS Fitzgerald after the crew ignored warnings sent by the ship using lights and horns"
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

captain
    hard to starboard 
    investigation 

Link
View Quote
Flashed lights.. like a signal lamp?  Or did they "flash" spotlights onto the bridge of the DDG?  The latter is a big no-no.

ANd since Skivvy Wavers got disestablished as a rate, is there anyone in the Navy now who can read flashing light messages?  I know on my ships I was the only Officer who could, with the exception of the first Bosun when I was in SAIPAN, and he was a former SM.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Couldn't happen any other way.  If their STARBOARD bow hit, then you could be rightly confused.  
View Quote

You want to explain that with MSPaint?
Because the geometry doesn't work.

If the FITZ is on the port side, and the Crystal turned 90 degrees starboard 10 minutes prior to the collision, how did the FITZ teleport in front of the port bow of the Crystal?

The Crystal most likely turned to that south east heading during or immediately following the collision, the autopilot then brought the ship back on its original course.

The FITZ most likely passed in front of the bow of the Crystal crossing from port to starboard and got center punched.

But that doesn't seem plausible of the ship turned 10 minutes prior to the collision. A 90 degree turn at 18 knots with that ship would only take a few minutes.
So she would have been travelling away from the FITZ for several minutes.

UNLESS the FITZ was to the south east heading south and the Crystal turned into the FITZ.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This caption doesn't match the notes on the image:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/06/26/19/418DA9B400000578-4640912-image-a-80_1498501201367.jpg

"Desperate to avoid disaster: The ACX Crystal made a U-turn (path above) to try and avoid colliding with the USS Fitzgerald after the crew ignored warnings sent by the ship using lights and horns"
View Quote
The picture is useless without time markings.  A plot of FITZGERALD's track would sure help too.

I do have a question about the container ship's track.  Looks like there's a ~20 degree left turn shortly before hard right that we presume was their attempt to avoid.  Again, with no time or distance scale, the graphic is not very useful.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Flashed lights.. like a signal lamp?  Or did they "flash" spotlights onto the bridge of the DDG?  The latter is a big no-no.

ANd since Skivvy Wavers got disestablished as a rate, is there anyone in the Navy now who can read flashing light messages?  I know on my ships I was the only Officer who could, with the exception of the first Bosun when I was in SAIPAN, and he was a former SM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

captain
    hard to starboard 
    investigation 

Link

I had heard that the Signalman rating got merged with the Quartermaster rating.  Do they not train QMs in the duties of the former rating?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

captain
    hard to starboard 
    investigation 

Link

The latter is a big no-no.

I've stuck a spotlight on a bridge several times to get somebody's attention.
Usual response was full astern, horns, lights, etc.
And sometimes an apology over the radio, not often tho.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

In extremis situation, and the containership is not maneuverable enough to avoid the collision.  If it was US jurisdiction, the mate would be faulted for waiting too long before maneuvering, even though they were the stand-on vessel.  Being stand-on does not relieve you of responsibility to avoid a collision.  I don't know where he got his license, or what their procedures are, but if he had a US license, he could expect to hear the term "RS4450."

View Quote
Yep "in extremis" is really hard to judge.
You're supposed to hold your course and speed, when you are the stand-on vessel, until a Collision can't be avoided by the other vessels action alone. I'm saying this from memory, I don't have the rules in front of me. And then at the last possible second you're supposed to make a maneuver that avoids the Collision. It frequently does not happen that way.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Merchant vessels rarely if ever have signal lights. And even though it might be a big No-No technically, throwing a Searchlight into another vessels wheelhouse when they don't answer you on the radio is done all the time. To get them to come up on the radio or wake them up in some cases. Specially fishing boats and sailboats
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#20]
According to Google Earth,
If that plot is to any sort of scale / accuracy,
the black line between points is ~6.5 nautical miles,
just as a talking point / reference.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Merchant vessels rarely if ever have signal lights. And even though it might be a big No-No technically, throwing a Searchlight into another vessels wheelhouse when they don't answer you on the radio is done all the time. To get them to come up on the radio or wake them up in some cases. Specially fishing boats and sailboats
View Quote
These guys were asleep. A good thing a North Korea sub didn't pull along side and board the ship.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You want to explain that with MSPaint?
Because the geometry doesn't work.

If the FITZ is on the port side, and the Crystal turned 90 degrees starboard 10 minutes prior to the collision, how did the FITZ teleport in front of the port bow of the Crystal?

The Crystal most likely turned to that south east heading during or immediately following the collision, the autopilot then brought the ship back on its original course.

The FITZ most likely passed in front of the bow of the Crystal crossing from port to starboard and got center punched.

But that doesn't seem plausible of the ship turned 10 minutes prior to the collision. A 90 degree turn at 18 knots with that ship would only take a few minutes.
So she would have been travelling away from the FITZ for several minutes.

UNLESS the FITZ was to the south east heading south and the Crystal turned into the FITZ.
View Quote
MSPaint?  Too much like work. But you can work it out with your hands aviator style and see that a port bow to stbd side collision is easily envisioned.  

My guess is that Fitz was trying to cross ahead (mistake #1),  Crystal may have ordered a 90 degree stbd course change 10 minutes before but used a small rudder command to prevent any heeling and subsequent loss of deck containers over the side (mistake #2).  That means the turn is far from complete, because advance and transfer.  Meanwhile, we don't know what FITZ is doing.  We don't know her course and speed.  Now being suspicious of bloody wogs, we don't have any reason to believe the Crystal's 90 deg turn was actually ordered 10 minutes prior to collision... Much more likely 2-3 minutes before.  Perhaps there was some creative log writing on the Crystal.  Since merchant ships don't have a QMOW writing down every helm order as it's given, there is room for fudging or faulty memory after the fact.  That's why my engineer classmates were advised by crusty old Chief Engineers to keep a can of clean lube oil handy - to pour over the bell book in case of a collision (or so I'm told).
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Both crews were probably asleep/negligent. 

Woke up to WTF is happening/fog of war.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I can't wait for the VDR (Voyage Data Recorder) data from the Crystal to be released.  Pure speculation, but I suspect both ships' watch teams were asleep at the wheel.  

Crystal's VDR will probably have a very quiet bridge up until the time of collision.  The VDR has microphones inside the bridge to capture conversation.  The VHF radios also feed the VDR and all transmissions and receptions are recorded for posterity.  Notice the Crystal's captain made no mention of attempted radio contact.  Even if you are the stand on vessel, at some point the MOW should notice a close CPA and attempt to reach the offending contact to deconflict and determine intentions.  If that conversation happened, the the VDR will have it and the Captain would tout that fact as exculpatory evid nice that Crystal tried.  Instead, we get a report of blinking lights which, conveniently enough, would not be recorded on the VDR.  If the Captain stands by that story, then he will claim the MOW on the bride acted quickly and decisively to blink the lights without talking to him becaus the ship was in extremis.  He will then claim that quick action with no proof will explain the silence on the VDR during this time.  Again, this is my speculation, not fact.

That said, the Fitzgerald still failed to comply with the COLREGS as the give way vessel.

Regarding VDR data recovery... it is encrypted and proprietary.  Only the VDR manufacturer can decrypt the data, per regulations.  Crew, company, and regulatory authorities can download data, but not do anything with it.  The OEM is supposedly an independent third party with no skin in the game and, therefore, no motivation to hide, conceal, or otherwise obfuscate information.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I had heard that the Signalman rating got merged with the Quartermaster rating.  Do they not train QMs in the duties of the former rating?
View Quote
That's my question.  Personally, I think that although SMs were definitely underutilized except in formation steaming within sight of other ships, QMs had more than enough on their plate to learn already.  While flag hoists are easy, flashing light is a bitch to read if you don't practice a lot.  Semaphore - fuggedabowdit... it's just greek to me.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#26]
During WW II, the liner turned troopship Queen Mary accidentally rammed and sunk her escort, the light C class cruiser HMS Curacao.  Sliced her in half.
Queen Mary as a troopship:

HMS Curacao:

HMS Curacao wasn't the only warship sunk.  There were others before the 20th Century.  Here's a more recent one:

Sunk by a livestock ship:

Here's what happened when the 13k ton heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen rammed the 7,000 ton light cruiser Leipzeg:

When the Iowa's sister ship, Wisconsin, rammed a destroyer, she needed her bow replaced.

Before:
After:  

Considering the damage to the Fitzgerald, I'd say she got off lucky.  The damage isn't as bad as in some of the images posted above.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#27]
the navy already knows exactly what happened at a macro level (excuse the corporate speak), meaning who is at fault. the investigation into who and why and how to spin it will take time to create. 
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
During WW II, the liner turned troopship Queen Mary accidentally rammed and sunk her escort, the light C class cruiser HMS Curacao.  Sliced her in half.

http://ww2today.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/SS-QUEEN-MARY-lying-at-anchor-after-her-arrival-at-Gourock-Bay-595x444.jpg

HMS Curacao:

http://ww2today.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/HMS-Curacoa-595x373.jpg

HMS Curacao wasn't the only warship sunk.  There were others before the 20th Century.  Here's a more recent one:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2017/04/27/russship-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqRP1TcW8fhAscsM277V1dJQlgjHCouUg7M08dJRyrjJk.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2017/04/27/livestock-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqxE6WYbzRGIq7DYNoS4-zitkr_28fsuYSluc5COhy1O4.jpg

Here's what happened when the 13k ton heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen rammed the 7,000 ton light cruiser Leipzeg:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/12/51/72/1251728a08e5ebbf48cc38a9df2fbdd0--prinz-eugen-naval-history.jpg

When the Iowa's sister ship, Wisconsin, rammed a destroyer, she needed her bow replaced.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/32/USS_Wisconson_collision.jpg/220px-USS_Wisconson_collision.jpg
Before: http://www.destroyersonline.com/images/dd510001.jpg
After:  http://www.usswisconsin.org/wp/wp-content/gallery/collision/C-33-USS-Eaton-Norfolk-Naval-Shipyard-05-08-56.jpg

Considering the damage to the Fitzgerald, I'd say she got off lucky.  The damage isn't as bad as in some of the images posted above.
View Quote
Or USS Denver vs USNS Yukon

Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

http://ww2today.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/SS-QUEEN-MARY-lying-at-anchor-after-her-arrival-at-Gourock-Bay-595x444.jpg

HMS Curacao:

http://ww2today.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/HMS-Curacoa-595x373.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2017/04/27/russship-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqRP1TcW8fhAscsM277V1dJQlgjHCouUg7M08dJRyrjJk.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2017/04/27/livestock-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqxE6WYbzRGIq7DYNoS4-zitkr_28fsuYSluc5COhy1O4.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/12/51/72/1251728a08e5ebbf48cc38a9df2fbdd0--prinz-eugen-naval-history.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/32/USS_Wisconson_collision.jpg/220px-USS_Wisconson_collision.jpg
Before: http://www.destroyersonline.com/images/dd510001.jpg
After:  http://www.usswisconsin.org/wp/wp-content/gallery/collision/C-33-USS-Eaton-Norfolk-Naval-Shipyard-05-08-56.jpg

View Quote
You can't see the worst of the damage, which was caused by Crystal's bulbous bow and is below the waterline.

Oh, and BELKNAP after colliding with KENNEDY

USS EVANS  after colliding with HMAS MELBOURNE
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:05:42 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm pretty sure that the light that the containership captain was talking about was not Morse code. I'm pretty sure he was just talking about swinging a search light in the general direction of the destroyer to get it's attention.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#31]
The Melbourne-Evans Incident (released 1975)
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
MSPaint?  Too much like work. But you can work it out with your hands aviator style and see that a port bow to stbd side collision is easily envisioned.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You responded only to the second half of my sentence below, without the stipulating condition in the first half,  which is what is causing my confusion.

My point, the Crystal Captain is lying or misremembering details when he states he turned to starboard 10 minutes prior to the collision.
That doesn't pass the time-space-geometry test.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm not going to go back and read 19 pages of guys knowing what they are talking about, trying to explain to guys that only know that the pointy end is the bow and blunt end is the stern, bs from guys that have never been or a real Navy ship or merchie.

My bona fides, Surface Warfare Officer, lots of CICWO and OOD/JOOD watches.  Based on what we used many years ago.  

The Captains Standing Orders and Night Orders lay down his expectations, especially when he should be called.  I've seen a fair number, none of them say "Come peel me out after a merchie crushes my Sea Cabin."  They will have a basic distance and time for a CPA to call him and notify him.  Night Orders might say to the effect.  "We will be in a high traffic density area tonight.  Keep an especially tight watch and notify me of any CPA within 5000 yards and call me to the bridge for any within 2000 yards."

How a ship got that close is extremely confusing.

Assumptions the merchie deck watch was under-manned, not paying attention, and possibly under some kind of faulty collision avoidance system.  Safe assumptions to make.  Also (again based on  some old operating experience) he may have been drilling holes in the ocean waiting either for daylight, close to daylight or a specific time to enter Tokyo Bay Vessel Traffic System

Merchies usually have two different surface radar systems.  This should give them a good picture, they have vertical separation and frequency separation,  One may be running raw video, the other processed video.  Video processing can remove sea scatter, highlight actual recurring solid returns.  Sea scatter is the return that you get from a swell or wave returning a signal, that return won't be there the next time the radar sweeps that bearing, so raw video gets a lot of these bounces.  The return from a ship will be there every sweep, small objects, most sweeps.  Processing the video brings out these repetitive returns and highlights them.

navy ships usually have at least two surface radars.  One is probably a Navy designed and built, the other a standard commercial off the shelf.  Both the bridge and CIC get the naval radar signals, Maybe the bridge only gets the commercial radar.  Two repeaters at least(scopes) In my day, the OOD would have one set up as he liked it.   Range 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 miles, we usually left one 8 or 16 miles, and tracked contacts using a grease pencil.  Only the OOD changed the range and then it was changed back.  The other could be adjusted but usually at 8 miles, again tracking but you made sure that the track marks were at the same range.    No idea what displays they are using, what the processed video is and if tracks are maintained automatically.  If I was an OOD, I'd keep at least one display on raw video.

In addition the Bridge Watch will have a Port and Starboard Lookout, a Quartermaster of the Watch and a Bosun's Mate of the Watch, Messenger of the Watch, Bridge
Talker, one combined Helm and Lee Helm.  (the guy steering and giving throttle orders to the engineering spaces) plaus there is probably a Signalman of the Watch nearby. So under normal conditions 3-5 sets of Mk 1 Eyeballs and at least two on the radars. The OOD, JOOD and Lookouts all have 20x binoculars, each bridge wing ahs a set of big eyes (IIRC 50c) binoculars

CIC has radar inputs, various manual and automated tracking systems.  CiC Watch Officer, CIC Supervisor, Surface Tracker, and a few others    (Not that it was legal, but a few times I went from our CIC to the Bridge and pointed out to the Bridge Watch, thats contact XYZ, Contact XYY, etc)  generally when they were Navy ships maneuvering out aways and they couldn't tell who ended up where in line, etc.    But our CIC was about 15 feet off the bridge.  

Standard  Radar picks up the contact before the lookout Radar is higher and has longer radar horizon by a few miles before the lookouts can be expected to spot it.  "Bridge, Combat, New Contact Skunk 1234, range 48,000 yds, bearing 235 degrees."  "Bridge, Aye'  the Bridge Talker announces it and using grease pencil puts in on the Skunk board.  The OOD or JOOD or both acknowledge it, or he keeps announcing until it gets acknowledged.  The OOD or JOOD check to see if they have it on radar yet.  If they are at 16 miles, they won't, they may switch up to 32 and see it.

Watch repeat as necessary.  CIC will develop and CPA, course and speed for the contact.  The JOOD or OOD will compute it also manually or should even if the Combat System does it for them  The bridge watch does it not only for their benefit, but to keep CIC honest and double check the processed video and system generated track data.  If the CPA meets the Standing or Night Order criteria the BRIDGE notifies the CO.

And this continues all night.  In a heavy traffic area they might set a Special Sea Detail, which adds more bridge and CIC watch standers to handle the additional tracking load.  The CO or XO might be there, one on the bridge and one in combat, and a more senior officer might be OOD or on the bridge.

At some point the Skunk, will be given a system track number generated by the ships combat system, and possibly a force track number if there are multiple ships in the area  

My gut feel is they were running with only the normal watches in CIC and on the Bridge, and it was busy enough that the OOD and JOOD were tracking manually using their eyes and the peloruses (a gyro-compass repeater) with in effect a sight on top that allows the user to get both a true bearing to the contact based on the gyro-compass and a relative bearing (degrees off the bow)Running lights, Port is red, starboard is green, if you see red running lights it is your duty to maneuver to avoid.  (But that vessel is obligated to maintain course and speed)  And at some point the Bridge Watch and CIC Watch got confused as to which Skunk/Track Number was which.

Should the CIC Officer call the CO to the Bridge if he thinks the Bridge Watch is endangering the ship?  My feeling is Yes.  I never did, but I once told an Admiral that I was sorry I couldn't answer his question at the time and suggested respfully that he have his OSC use the force console behind us in CIC because I was feeding information on contacts in Hong Kong Harbor to my CO, CICWO and the OOD (and frankly I don't care how close they are getting to other ships, they aren't my problem.)

My gut feel is that OOD, JOOD and CIC were disconnected on which contacts they were talking about.

Can two ships appear as one blip on a radar screen? yes with both raw and processed video.  Especially when a smaller ship is in the shadow of another ship.  However, in normal conditions you should see two tracks merging(and getting real concerned about a collision which might be sufficient for a phone call to the CO) and you should remember that that blip is a merged contact.  

Air Search radars are usually not good for tracking in close surface contacts.

So the Bridge Watch should be seeing at least running lights if not more lights on each ship corresponding to a radar contact and it's associated track number  

Once things didn't seem right the CO should have been called to the Bridge.  In any case, any ship within 5000 yards (2.5 nautical miles) the CO should have been called.  

Merchies in close are kind of like aircraft carriers, they maneuver without warning, or might.  Merchies can't maneuver very well or quickly, and you can and had better safely assume their bridge watch is not standing a correct and effective watch.  

I can't see any reason for the ships to get that close together without the CO on the Bridge.
 Even if they wee running radar silent, there should have been an increased bridge watch.  

I
View Quote
Is it possible that they became task saturated due to all the traffic in the area and perhaps didn't process the data quickly enough?  From your description of tracking contacts on the scope I'm wondering if they had a lot of possible contacts and then got stuck trying to sort through all of them.  Maybe some junior crew on the watch since they weren't expecting a lot of abnormal activity and in tracking so many contacts simply couldn't keep up.   Or since they didn't have any reasons to suspect any of the contacts as potential threats weren't using the combat management system and were relying on manually tracking contacts as you described.

I'm envisioning some of the scenarios that air traffic controllers can get into where they get behind and just can't keep up with all the contacts and eventually make a series of mistakes that can get planes on potential collision courses.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You responded only to the second half of my sentence below, without the stipulating condition in the first half,  which is what is causing my confusion.

My point, the Crystal Captain is lying or misremembering details when he states he turned to starboard 10 minutes prior to the collision.
That doesn't pass the time-space-geometry test.
View Quote
No, I agree.  Let's be very generous and say he's misremembering the timeline, because you're right.. 10 minutes even in a gentle turn would at worst result in a glancing blow. meeting side to side.  You have to be much closer before starting the turn to get a bow-to side collision.   To visualize, if the Crystal is your right hand and FITZ is your left, hold them at a 90 degree angle, with your left slightly lower.  Move them toward each other at about the same speed, then start slowly turning your right hand to the right.  There you have it... port bow impacting the starboard side of your left hand.  If FITZ increased speed a little, that would tend to nullify the gentle turn by Crystal.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#35]
What I want to know is unless the Fitzgerald was completely unaware of the impending Collision, why didn't they sound the general alarm to get everybody up so that people wouldn't have been trapped in their bunks?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No, I agree.  Let's be very generous and say he's misremembering the timeline, because you're right.. 10 minutes even in a gentle turn would at worst result in a glancing blow. meeting side to side.  You have to be much closer before starting the turn to get a bow-to side collision.   To visualize, if the Crystal is your right hand and FITZ is your left, hold them at a 90 degree angle, with your left slightly lower.  Move them toward each other at about the same speed, then start slowly turning your right hand to the right.  There you have it... port bow impacting the starboard side of your left hand.  If FITZ increased speed a little, that would tend to nullify the gentle turn by Crystal.
View Quote
If you initiated a turn 10 minutes before CPA and you still have a collision it had to have been intentional, unless Fitzgerald was doing some wild manuevers. If at 18 knots and 10 minutes time you're unable to change the location of your shop by more than a few hundred feet... I dunno man, doesn't pass the sniff test.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you initiated a turn 10 minutes before CPA and you still have a collision it had to have been intentional, unless Fitzgerald was doing some wild manuevers. If at 18 knots and 10 minutes time you're unable to change the location of your ship by more than a few hundred feet... I dunno man, doesn't pass the sniff test.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#38]
From what I've read here, it almost seems like the on-duty bridge watch ot Fitz didn't pay attention to that video.

RIP, sailors.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I was a young sailor when I found the memorial in Battery Park in Charleston SC, to the USS Hobson (DD 464), hit in 1952 by the USS Wasp (CV 18). Split in half and was completely gone in 5 minutes, 176 lost.
Sobering.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:01:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My father spent the better part of a exercise off Point Loma doing SAR, where in that week, more men were lost in exercise than in Vietnam.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About the same number of service members died in the Cold War as died in Viet Nam.
My Dads brother was killed in a plane crash off of Point Loma during the Cuban missile crisis. Don't recall the type of aircraft but it was for ASW. They took off from NAS North Island in the fog and crashed when a wingtip hit the water. Took almost 2 weeks to recover the bodies. I remember Dad being quite upset that his brother had flown all sorts of bombing missions in WWII and ended up getting killed in a "cold" war. Added quite a bit of tension during that period.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:45:29 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm not sure, and I really don't know what I'm talking about...I know we have Merchies onboard here...

But...When a container ship says that it's making a turn, I don't think it's like what many of you are thinking.  Sharp turns cause the ship to list--sometimes severely--and I don't think a fully-loaded container ship can turn very quickly at all at speed without losing cargo.  I offer that maybe the container ship wasn't turning as quickly as many surmise.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Here's my uneducated guess, based in on what I think a Captain is ordered when he gets command of a Navy Frigate.  He's told these 2 things (in my imagination):
1. Don't hit anything or get hit.
2. Listen, you have the worlds finest equipment and crew, there's no god-damn excuse ever - to hit anything or get hit.

So, in my uneducated mind, something was happening on the Fitzgerald, such as a medical emergency, or tracking a Russian sub - that momentarily took their attention off something like a collision in that vast ocean.  Otherwise, I just can't fathom a disaster like this unless 2 ships made course changes which made a near miss a definite hit.  In other words, total lack of communication and assumptions which one ship made correctly and the other made incorrectly.

I think it's safe to say this incident will be part of future crew training as an extreme example of when simple rules of the road failed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#43]
If everything the latest news says is true, wonder what would have happened if the container ship turned to port?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:37:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm not sure, and I really don't know what I'm talking about...I know we have Merchies onboard here...

But...When a container ship says that it's making a turn, I don't think it's like what many of you are thinking.  Sharp turns cause the ship to list--sometimes severely--and I don't think a fully-loaded container ship can turn very quickly at all at speed without losing cargo.  I offer that maybe the container ship wasn't turning as quickly as many surmise.
View Quote
Those containers are locked to each other, not just sitting there. The ship will have to go through unknown seas (despite the crews best efforts to keep the ride easy) to get to its destination so everything is chained and shored as best the stevedores can before they leave port.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
18 knots in 10 minutes covers a distance of like 3.2 miles. That bitch really couldn't move where it was going to be in 3.2 miles more than a couple hundred feet, enough to miss a destroyer? Or slow down?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#47]

As I posted above.  ~3 minutes to turn 90 degrees.
Which, as stated by the Crystal Master (who is now unavailable for comment), if the Crystal turned 90 degrees to starboard 10 minutes prior to the collision, that meant she was travelling on the new course for 7 minutes, at 18 knots that's ~2NM of travel.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Also, COLREG 2

(b) In construing and complying with these Rules due regard shall be had to all dangers of navigation and collision and to any special circumstances, including the limitations of the vessels involved, which may make a departure from these Rules necessary to avoid immediate danger.
View Quote
10 minutes to avoid a collision, being in the "right" doesn't count.

Navy still goofed, I'm just saying that to claim they turned 10 min prior to the collision to avoid a collision doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a USCG friend that used to enjoy occasionally sending me quick videos of him feeding licenses through the shredder.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

captain
    hard to starboard 
    investigation 

Link

Using the spotlight to get someone's attention that isn't answering hails from what I've seen is relatively common, albeit usually  pointed down and not directly at someone. It's a case of something easy to use from the bridge station versus digging out the signal lamp.

Honestly I couldn't use flashing lights right now, even though I learned it for my license; it's just not something used or practiced on a day to day basis. I however doubt they were actually signaling versus just shining a light their way while saying something on the radio like"vessel at position X,Y course Z speed A I'm shining a light in your direction please come up on channel one six".
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top