BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 24
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:34:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Somebody tell me how you can accidentally not see an entire cargo ship. Don't they have radar? A cargo ship is kind of big.
View Quote
Plenty radar...

Yes they are...
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:39:00 AM EDT
[#2]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of the 7 sailors who died aboard the USS Fitzgerald saved more than a dozen of his fellow shipmates before he ultimately lost his own life, The Daily Beast reported.

When the Fitzgerald collided with the merchant ship, 37-year-old Fire Controlman 1st Class Gary Leo Rehm Jr., "leapt into action," according to The Daily Beast.

The Fitzgerald was struck below the waterline, and Rehm Jr.'s family was told by the Navy that he went under and saved at least 20 sailors, according to WBNS-10TV in Columbus, Ohio.

But when he went back down to get the other six sailors, the ship began to take on too much water, and the hatch was closed, WBNS-10TV said.

http://www.businessinsider.com/this-sailor-sacrificed-himself-save-20-lives-the-uss-fitzgerald-2017-6?utm_content=buffer6fb51&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-bi
I'm sure he'll be decorated for that.  What's the highest that he could get these days?  I recall a sailor in the interwar period getting the Medal of Honor for similar actions, but the law was changed to not allow non-combat MOHs sometime before WWII.
Navy and Marine Corps Medal
Kinda figured as much, but wasn't sure.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:43:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

FWIW, they're not the only ones constrained by draft and there have been incidents where one was run over by a merchie with both constrained by draft.  My point was that a lot of merchant ships have an attitude that everyone else has to make way for them and it leads to accidents from time to time.

I frequently take my little ski boat out to near the shipping lanes (w/in 1nm) to anchor and watch the ships go by.  I'm anchored in 8' of water sometimes.  A 60' motor yacht limping on one engine at low tide and with a north wind in the Houston Ship Channel would likely be constrained as well, but well and truly fucked by the 6 knot container ship running up his ass.
View Quote
That's less of an arrogant ship problem and more of an arrogant pilot problem. I've run up and down the Houston ship channel, even as a tug and tow I was given little mercy, luckily I did have a pilot aboard to help.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:46:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm sure he'll be decorated for that.  What's the highest that he could get these days?  I recall a sailor in the interwar period getting the Medal of Honor for similar actions, but the law was changed to not allow non-combat MOHs sometime before WWII.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of the 7 sailors who died aboard the USS Fitzgerald saved more than a dozen of his fellow shipmates before he ultimately lost his own life, The Daily Beast reported.

When the Fitzgerald collided with the merchant ship, 37-year-old Fire Controlman 1st Class Gary Leo Rehm Jr., "leapt into action," according to The Daily Beast.

The Fitzgerald was struck below the waterline, and Rehm Jr.'s family was told by the Navy that he went under and saved at least 20 sailors, according to WBNS-10TV in Columbus, Ohio.

But when he went back down to get the other six sailors, the ship began to take on too much water, and the hatch was closed, WBNS-10TV said.

http://www.businessinsider.com/this-sailor-sacrificed-himself-save-20-lives-the-uss-fitzgerald-2017-6?utm_content=buffer6fb51&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-bi
Navy and Marine Corps medal? I think that's the highest non combatant award.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:58:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What's the highest that he could get these days? 
View Quote
It's not too late to unfuck some of Mabus's names. It's hardly as if I am in the position to say so but if someone were to ask me who exemplified service...
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:03:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They could have just done an unrep and those stores weren't put away yet before they went to the GQ drill.
That looks like one of the ladderwells on a carrier.
View Quote
After port calls and sometimes unrep they have shit everywhere.
Sometimes it takes a day or two to get it all stowed.

On the Stennis there was a line of food in boxes (gedunk junk food) running right outside our berthing.
One of the nuke blackshoes (their berthing was across from ours) grabbed a box of chips and got caught.
Not good for him at all.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:07:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's too bad that the Navy doesn't still give out anything higher than the Navy Medal for stuff like this.  Quite a few sailors got the MOH for doing less than this sailor did in non-combat situations.  The one that made me think of that was the one below.  Some of the non-combat citations are pretty interesting (and some pretty crazy, like swimming to shore in a typhoon to tie a line to shore on a ship about to get stranded at sea).  This sailor, while not eligible for that medal now, definitely deserves to be held in the same esteem. 

The MOH citation I mentioned:

For extraordinary heroism in the line of his profession while serving on board the U.S.S. Memphis, at a time when that vessel was suffering total destruction from a tsunami while anchored off Santo Domingo City, 29 August 1916. Machinist Willey took his station in the engineer's department and remained at his post of duty amidst scalding steam and the rush of thousands of tons of water into his department as long as the engines would turn, leaving only when ordered to leave. When the boilers exploded, he assisted in getting the men out of the fire room and carrying them into the engine room, where there was air instead of steam to breathe. It was approximated that he carried up 106 men on his shoulders, saving countless lives. He received serious 3rd degree burns from the steam himself. Machinist Willey's conduct on this occasion was above and beyond the call of duty.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:36:13 AM EDT
[#8]
tag,it looks like the cargo ship made a u turn to hit our ship to me
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:59:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or render aid.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:06:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

While periodically unmanned engine rooms are quite common there wouldn't be a delay in engine RPMs. The wheelhouse has control of the main engine while transiting on most (if not all marine diesels). In my experience the only ships that used the engine order telegraphs for speed changes were steamships.

You'd have a duty engineer who would be responsible for the engine room during the "unmanned" portion of time. They would make a round and answer any alarms.
View Quote
Thanks for your insight.  Sounded suspicious to me that there would be no control of speed at all.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:40:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I served with Gary on the USS Ramage, along with another ARFCOM member. Gary was truly one hell of a sailor. He was within a few months of retirement. I consider it both an honor and a privilege to have had the chance to hoist a few cold ones with this hero. He was the kind of guy that you could always look to if you needed to vent, needed some cheering up, or just wanted to laugh your ass off. He had that grin that you could never put your finger on weather he was just happy or being a smart ass. He will be truly missed and anyone that has ever known him knows that he was the kind of sailor that you wanted to serve with. My daughter is graduating US Navy boot camp at the end of the month, I sincerely hope that she will be able to serve with others like FC1(SW) Gary Rehm.

Fair Winds and Following Seas Brother, We have the watch.

Chris
USN Retired

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I served with Gary on the USS Ramage, along with another ARFCOM member. Gary was truly one hell of a sailor. He was within a few months of retirement. I consider it both an honor and a privilege to have had the chance to hoist a few cold ones with this hero. He was the kind of guy that you could always look to if you needed to vent, needed some cheering up, or just wanted to laugh your ass off. He had that grin that you could never put your finger on weather he was just happy or being a smart ass. He will be truly missed and anyone that has ever known him knows that he was the kind of sailor that you wanted to serve with. My daughter is graduating US Navy boot camp at the end of the month, I sincerely hope that she will be able to serve with others like FC1(SW) Gary Rehm.

Chris
USN Retired
View Quote
Sounds like a great man--not surprised at all.  So many people around the world question the spirit of the American Servicemember, and every time they are amazed with what the "average" American fighting member can do.

Hopefully your daughter will be able to serve ON the USS Gary Rehm.  Sounds plenty deserving.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.

The U turn was 30 minutes after the collision.
The cargo ship returned to the scene to render assistance.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sounds like a great man--not surprised at all.  So many people around the world question the spirit of the American Servicemember, and every time they are amazed with what the "average" American fighting member can do.

Hopefully your daughter will be able to serve ON the USS Gary Rehm.  Sounds plenty deserving.
View Quote
Fucking A right. Should be the next DDG approved by Congress.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
let me help:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2004497_US-Navy-destroyer-USS-Fitzgerald--flooding--after-container-ship-collision.html&page=15#i66671879
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#16]
supposedly this is a pic of the Commanders cabin

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
supposedly this is a pic of the Commanders cabin

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCzoPsIV0AAK9hM.jpg
View Quote
It is.  He's lucky to be alive.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Meanwhile, below decks, the glancing blow of Crystal’s bulbous bow had ripped a 10-feet-by-10-feet to 14-feet-by-14-feet hole below the waterline of the ship, flooding a machinery space the berthing area that was home to about half of the crew, the sailor said.
View Quote
In addition to the damage to the spaces, the collision knocked out Fitzgerald’s communications for the better part of an hour. At about the same time the crew was able to reactivate their backup Iridium satellite communications to radio for help, Crystal arrived on the scene and called in its own distress call, the sailor told USNI News.
View Quote

Diagram of USS Fitzgerald showing where damage from ACX Crystal occurred.

As for the ship, five days after collision active damage control efforts are ongoing to prevent further damage to the hull. The force of Crystal’s impact combined with the flood not only dented but twisted the ship’s hull. Crews are continuing to pump water in and out of the ship to keep Fitzgerald stable.
View Quote
Naval Sea Systems Command is now assessing if the ship can be repaired in Japan or would have to be transported to the U.S. for repairs.
View Quote
https://news.usni.org/2017/06/21/investigators-believe-uss-fitzgerald-crew-fought-flooding-for-an-hour-before-distress-call-reached-help
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

As for the ship, five days after collision active damage control efforts are ongoing to prevent further damage to the hull. The force of Crystal’s impact combined with the flood not only dented but twisted the ship’s hull. Crews are continuing to pump water in and out of the ship to keep Fitzgerald stable.
View Quote
Wow.  I wonder if she is even fixable at this point.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#21]
It will be interesting to see what changes occur in design, construction, training, and methods due to this incident.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It will be interesting to see what changes occur in design, construction, training, and methods due to this incident.
View Quote
I think they should have some sort of underwater breathing systems that can be used in any of the compartments that can become flooded below the waterline in case crew is cutoff from a sealed door. This way they can breathe underwater until help can arrive. Have the air system run through the ship in every compartment with quick disconnects and scuba type masks located throughout the ship. Berthing areas should have a masks hanging on the walls at the ready.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think they should have some sort of underwater breathing systems that can be used in any of the compartments that can become flooded below the waterline in case crew is cutoff from a sealed door. This way they can breathe underwater until help can arrive. Have the air system run through the ship in every compartment with quick disconnects and scuba type masks located throughout the ship. Berthing areas should have a masks hanging on the walls at the ready.
View Quote
I don't think that is a realistic solution honestly. With the type of damage that occurred anything like that would probably be rendered inop. Any self contained apparatus for under water use in addition to the fire SCBA's just turns into too much equipment that won't be used enough.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Any self contained apparatus for under water use in addition to the fire SCBA's just turns into too much equipment that won't be used enough.
View Quote
They make some that are the size of a 20oz water bottle, maybe even smaller. They could clip right next to the EEBD.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They make some that are the size of a 20oz water bottle, maybe even smaller. They could clip right next to the EEBD.
View Quote
I think in most cases like this one, that would just give you a few more minutes to contemplate your own death.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think in most cases like this one, that would just give you a few more minutes to contemplate your own death.
View Quote
Always with the negative waves.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Build in some sort of man size escape tube that extends up to the next level deck. In case of flooding and the compartment it totally cutoff from sealed doors it can be used as an escape system up to the next level deck. Person swims into the chamber closes the air tight door and swims up to the next level. Person drains the water in the tube then opens the door to the next level. Next person floods the tube to equalize then enters the tube and so on. Obviously each person would need some sort of emergency breathing apparatus as it would take a few minutes to escape.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Build in some sort of man size escape tube that extends up to the next level deck. In case of flooding and the compartment it totally cutoff from sealed doors it can be used as an escape system up to the next level deck. Person swims into the chamber closes the air tight door and swims up to the next level. Person drains the water in the tube then opens the door to the next level. Next person floods the tube to equalize then enters the tube and so on. Obviously each person would need some sort of emergency breathing apparatus as it would take a few minutes to escape.
View Quote
They already have escape hatches in berthing compartments. They're great unless the deck has buckled and twisted or there's debris resting on top of it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't think that is a realistic solution honestly. With the type of damage that occurred anything like that would probably be rendered inop. Any self contained apparatus for under water use in addition to the fire SCBA's just turns into too much equipment that won't be used enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know the first thing about being at sea, and just recently got my first tour of a DDG... But the idea of significantly changing a warship design or equipping over a peacetime accident that is almost surely a series of human errors...

I'd be willing to bet that the Navy focus is on the human element.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd like "what is an escape scuttle for five hundred Alex."
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Chris
USN Retired

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Chris
USN Retired

Quoted:

+1 RIP FC1(SW) Gary Rehm

The country could use more like him.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
They already have escape hatches in berthing compartments. They're great unless the deck has buckled and twisted or there's debris resting on top of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and you just got woken up from a dead sleep by onrushing water, the 1MC, general mayhem and it's dark in the berthing.

The Navy provides an EEBD (emergency escape breathing device) in a container in each crew members bunk, its good to egress from smoke filled environments but not underwater use. If your compartment is flooded you are fucked, no way around that.

Most of realwars comment is not feasible other than an EEDB. Shit happens to quickly for complicated escape procedures, if you get out before it floods good for you, if not, well, Davy Jones locker awaits.

My GQ station on WESTPAC was 2 decks underwater, the fire system was an 18" main that could fill the space to the top in less than five minutes, there were two ways out, you made it or else.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty sure that buys you 3-5 breaths of air.

Probably less if you are still alive after sleeping peacefully in you bunk when a container ship pierces the bulkhead at 15 knots and you are immediately pinned by a wall of water.  Horrible way to die, no reason to prolong that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any self contained apparatus for under water use in addition to the fire SCBA's just turns into too much equipment that won't be used enough.
They already exist, they're called a HEEDS bottle and they're used to escape an underwater helicopter. They're definitely not big enough to swim around a berthing compartment that is still flooding while you get your bearings.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Pretty sure that buys you 3-5 breaths of air.

Probably less if you are still alive after sleeping peacefully in you bunk when a container ship pierces the bulkhead at 15 knots and you are immediately pinned by a wall of water.  Horrible way to die, no reason to prolong that.
View Quote
Not arguing the trouble of outfitting them throughout every ship, but we wear them on our survival vest on every flight. They work for substantially longer than a few breaths, we train on them at least once a year.
http://www.heed3.com/
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:22:56 PM EDT
[#36]
On average, the unit provides 2-5 minutes of air or approximately 30 breaths at the surface
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:25:36 PM EDT
[#37]
The sea is a harsh mistress.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Timeline was wrong. It turned after the collision.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
it might have allowed them to swim out the hole caused by the container ship.....of course, then they have to worry about someone noticing them out in the water too....
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Timeline was wrong. It turned after the collision.
View Quote
Yeah. That's become clear, someone pointed it out here from the initial track.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Sad situations like this are why I'd never take a waterline cabin on a cruise. It's deck 7 or higher, in the balcony zone.

Things like this show the risks our service members take daily that we take for granted - with rare thanks from those they protect.

I await the investigation, but right now it looks to me like negligence caused 7 men to die.  I hope it wasn't in vain.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:58:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

it might have allowed them to swim out the hole caused by the container ship.....of course, then they have to worry about someone noticing them out in the water too....
View Quote
It's not like Dead Calm.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sad situations like this are why I'd never take a waterline cabin on a cruise. It's deck 7 or higher, in the balcony zone.

Things like this show the risks our service members take daily that we take for granted - with rare thanks from those they protect.

I await the investigation, but right now it looks to me like negligence caused 7 men to die.  I hope it wasn't in vain.
View Quote
About the same number of service members died in the Cold War as died in Viet Nam.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:01:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's not like Dead Calm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not like Dead Calm.
Oh I am sure it wasn't..but it might have given them a chance instead of no chance..I would think anyone put in that position who could would risk it....
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:06:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not likely, that was a heck of a lot of water with a lot of force behind it, getting to the escape scuttles was their best hope, IF they survived the initial collision and rush of water, which for most of them, is questionable.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:06:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
About the same number of service members died in the Cold War as died in Viet Nam.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of us consider Vietnam as just one theater in the Cold War...
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:13:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trump should just rename LCS-10
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:13:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Some of us consider Vietnam as just one theater in the Cold War...
View Quote
No doubt about it ... a hot theater, yes, but certainly part of the Cold War.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Let's get something straight here.

Quick Acting Water Tight Doors are designed in a way that you are able to close them if water is gushing out of a compartment.

Edit: I only bring this up because I am drinking and misread a post, but the fact stands.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The sea is a harsh mistress.
View Quote
I'd call her a tempestuous bitch however I have yet to sleep as well on dry land as I did at sea.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top