BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Gross Tonnage

They have it.  It's only supposed to apply to ships under 65 feet, but just like the 18 wheeler going 56 MPH that cuts into the fast lane and blocks cars going 70 to pass another truck going 54 MPH, they don't really give a fuck and extend their "law of gross tonnage" attitude to just about everyone.  They'll flat out run over boats in the Port of Houston shipping channel.
View Quote
It's not gross tonnage, it's "constrained by draft".  Nobody is putting a ship aground because of some dumbass in a speedboat, and the CG wouldn't expect them to.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Good Morning America reports that some of the seven dead sailors were alive when the hatches were shut to keep the ship from sinking.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4621656/US-sailors-trapped-ALIVE-USS-Fitzgerald-sank.html
View Quote
Damn, reminds me of that scene from Crimson Tide movie:

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/800/0*lHwm2Up1P2a9hy32.gif
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good Morning America reports that some of the seven dead sailors were alive when the hatches were shut to keep the ship from sinking.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4621656/US-sailors-trapped-ALIVE-USS-Fitzgerald-sank.html

https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/800/0*lHwm2Up1P2a9hy32.gif
This hatch you see here would be identical to the one they are talking about. Notice a smaller, round door in the center? That is called a scuttle and on the underside is an another wheel that opens it.
If the sailors did not make it out before the hatches were dropped, I would guess that they were either seriously incapacitated, trapped or dead. That scuttle can be opened from inside the damaged compartment.

EDIT: The effected berthing compartments (in that area there is one right on top of the other) there would be two of these hatches. One on the port side and another on the starboard and each one would have a scuttle to get out of the space with.

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I assume the emergency exit was inoperable.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Sad.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This hatch you see here would be identical to the one they are talking about. Notice a smaller, round door in the center? That is called a scuttle and on the underside is an another wheel that opens it.
If the sailors did not make it out before the hatches were dropped, I would guess that they were either seriously incapacitated, trapped or dead. That scuttle can be opened from inside the damaged compartment.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Flickr_-_Official_U.S._Navy_Imagery_-_Sailors_dog_down_a_water_tight_hatch..jpg
View Quote

It would be braced with mechanical or wooden shoring as well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
If the hatch/ scuttle wasn't leaking or visibly compromised there would be no reason to place shoring on it.

There is no way a shoring team had that up under 8 minutes. The ladder on the damaged side would likely have been destroyed however, they could enter the space from the other side.

Edit: Its been over a year since I've walked on a DDG put I'm almost positive there is a 3rd way out. On the upper berthing port side there is a gear locker and next to it is another escape scuttle and it would open up in the passageway above it.

I could be thinking of one other aft berthings.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There is no way a shoring team had that up under 8 minutes. The ladder on the damaged side would likely have been destroyed however, they could enter the space from the other side.

Edit: Its been over a year since I've walked on a DDG put I'm almost positive there is a 3rd way out. On the upper berthing there is a gear locker and next to it is another escape scuttle and it would open up in the passageway above it.
View Quote

I'm just a puddle pirate, I'll take your word on the EE points.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
And if they weren't out by the time that started happening they weren't coming out, alive or not.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And if they weren't out by the time that started happening they weren't coming out, alive or not.
View Quote
Agreed and I'd bet it was because they were either dead or close to it. There is also a row of racks (bunks) on that side about 5 to 6 ft away from the damaged bulkhead.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

EDIT: The effected berthing compartments (in that area there is one right on top of the other) there would be two of these hatches. One on the port side and another on the starboard and each one would have a scuttle to get out of the space with.

View Quote
What's with all that unsecured crap/missile hazards on the right side of the picture? 
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Flickr_-_Official_U.S._Navy_Imagery_-_Sailors_dog_down_a_water_tight_hatch..jpg
View Quote
First thought was that is most halal sailors.

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Agreed and I'd bet it was because they were either dead or close to it. There is also a row of racks (bunks) on that side about 5 to 6 ft away from the damaged bulkhead.
View Quote

Some of our racks are directly on the bulkhead. I was wondering if it was the same for the Navy or we're just that expendable. I was wondering because if they were like us the numbers for the deceased would make sense.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's with all that unsecured crap/missile hazards on the right side of the picture? 
View Quote
It appears to be food.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I dunno, I got this photo off of google.

I think it was taken on a CG actually.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Some of our racks are directly on the bulkhead. I was wondering if it was the same for the Navy or we're just that expendable. I was wondering because if they were like us the numbers for the deceased would make sense.
View Quote
They were all Gunners Mates/ Combat Systems type of guys. They may have been in those racks when the impact happened.

Edit: No racks on the bulkhead. As you come down the ladder there would be a small card table with two plastic seats. Continue forward another row of racks oriented FWD and AFT. There would also be a huge fuel tank underneath the bething.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Berthing space on Arleigh Burke class destroyer

Entrance to berthing space

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I hang a radar reflector in the flybridge when in open water, but I don't know how much it helps.  I'm maybe a 2 on a scale of 10 when it comes to maritime capability, so I hate to even weigh in on threads like this.  I've not been able to successfully differentiate between other vessels and weather on radar, which makes navigation in weather at night in particular such a risky thing.  I have no idea if this is relevant to the problems with the Fitzgerald collision, but 'noise pollution' is a very real thing in my experience.  

For those that were asking about why it's tough to keep track of other vessels in a crowded channel - here's a shot I found online of a radar with AIS overlay in a channel with minimal traffic.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/4267/Radar-with-AIS-234923.jpg
View Quote
Your boat shows up better than you might think it does.

Once one gets used to looking at a radar you learn to pick stuff out. On most of the tugs I've worked on we have plain Jane early to mid 90's sets. No overlays or anything fancy like that.

I can pick out a helicopter, small boats, squalls, and if it's tuned in real good a flock of birds.

I'm used to picking something up on the radar and comparing it to either something on the chart, an AIS contact on the chart plotter, or using MK 1 eyeball. So in my case I'm independently comparing stuff to make sure of what it is. The new modern ECDIS sets like what the ship and Fitz most likely have have all of that info (save MK 1 eyeball) in one display so I can see how you would get reliant on one.

I've been in NY harbor before where Ive turned the AIS tracklines and heading markers off because it was like a bowl of noodles. Shit was going everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I did remember it right (The upper berthing). So there was three ways out of the berthing. When I was on Paul Hamilton, Engineering occupied the upper one (we called it berthing 2) and below it (berthing 1) was Operations Department and Admin.
That scuttle ( your 3rd photo) would come out in the passageway I think was nearby the ships office.

In your first photo, look behind the chair. That is a sounding tube for the fuel tank underneth the lower berthing compartment. It is looking aft in the center line  of the compartment.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
fuck
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
NYT

Looking more like what many here (me included) believe, the first 90 degree turn on the AIS track was the collision and that the "U-turn" was about returning to render assistance, not the merchant pitching in to ram the DDG.  Talking to some of the SWOs in the building here, they seem to think that many merchants do not man their engine rooms during the cruise phase of transits, which means that they are unable to exercise full control of their speed..  The delay in returning to the collision site could have been partially due to getting the master's permission to man the engine room and then getting an engineer or two down there.
View Quote
Why would you ever want an engine room unmanned?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've heard that the engine rooms most of those large merchant vessels were all automated.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't think it's all that good an idea either but modern technology can do amazing things.

Plus you don't have to have as many engineers and QMEDs on board to stand full watches.

(QMED is a qualified member of the engineering watch)
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How about we wait for the investigation report.

Intentionally sensational headline makes a declarative statement of fact:
"Seven dead sailors 'were trapped ALIVE inside flooding USS Fitzgerald after their comrades were forced to shut them in to stop the stricken vessel from sinking' after collision with cargo ship"

Actual article text reveals the Navy is looking into the possibility:
"The Navy is investigating the horrifying possibility that some of those who died on the USS Fitzgerald when it sank may have been trapped alive in rapidly flooding compartments as emergency hatches were closed, it has emerged. "
View Quote
I was told many years ago that the the snipes never expect to get out alive.

(Told by a guy who was a snipe on Skipjack.)
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I was told many years ago the the snipes never expect to get out alive.

(Told by a guy who was a snipe on Skipjack.
View Quote
A Snipe is an Engineer. These Sailors killed were not.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
NYT

Looking more like what many here (me included) believe, the first 90 degree turn on the AIS track was the collision and that the "U-turn" was about returning to render assistance, not the merchant pitching in to ram the DDG.  Talking to some of the SWOs in the building here, they seem to think that many merchants do not man their engine rooms during the cruise phase of transits, which means that they are unable to exercise full control of their speed..  The delay in returning to the collision site could have been partially due to getting the master's permission to man the engine room and then getting an engineer or two down there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
NYT

Japanese officials said on Monday that the accident had occurred nearly an hour earlier than previously believed, and on Tuesday the United States Navy appeared to accept the revised timeline. “We’re not disputing what the Japanese Coast Guard is saying” about the timing of the collision, said Cmdr. Bill Clinton, a spokesman for the Seventh Fleet at the American base in Yokosuka, Japan, south of Tokyo.

As if we believe anything Bill Clinton says.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's not gross tonnage, it's "constrained by draft".  Nobody is putting a ship aground because of some dumbass in a speedboat, and the CG wouldn't expect them to.
View Quote

Pulling back into San Diego aboard the LSD USS GERMANTOWN.
Some idiot in a 12' boat fishing in the middle of the channel, DIW.
We were making a bee line right for him midships.
We can not maneuver.
We blasted the horn, signaled, everything, he looked up just as he disappeared from view from the Bridge.
He must've gotten that out board started in a jiffy because he squirted out the port side back into view just in the nick of time.
I bet the bow wasn't more than 30 feet from him.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Chocolate sauce and papayas.  Looks like dessert.

They could have just done an unrep and those stores weren't put away yet before they went to the GQ drill.
That looks like one of the ladderwells on a carrier.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

People cost money.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

People cost money.
View Quote
Yep.  And modern Diesel engines just don't require the constant attention and tweaking that steam plants did.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How do you open the escape scuttle from the inside? Doesn't appear to be any latches or handles.
View Quote
That's the top half, it's set up as an emergency egress for the space below. There's a wheel on the bottom portion. The bit in the middle comes out and you have a T handle stowed nearby that will fit in a slot that allows you to open it from the top as well. Tight fit to scurry through.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How do you open the escape scuttle from the inside? Doesn't appear to be any latches or handles.
View All Quotes
There is a wheel on the inside, you can see it in the second-to-last image.

ETA:

Whoops, thought you meant the hatch scuttle.  You can just push the escape scuttle up from below after undogging it with the wheel.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's a wheel on the other side.
That one in the photo is in a Pway so you can't have a wheel sticking up where people walk.

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/6699376

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gross Tonnage

They have it.  It's only supposed to apply to ships under 65 feet, but just like the 18 wheeler going 56 MPH that cuts into the fast lane and blocks cars going 70 to pass another truck going 54 MPH, they don't really give a fuck and extend their "law of gross tonnage" attitude to just about everyone.  They'll flat out run over boats in the Port of Houston shipping channel.
FWIW, they're not the only ones constrained by draft and there have been incidents where one was run over by a merchie with both constrained by draft.  My point was that a lot of merchant ships have an attitude that everyone else has to make way for them and it leads to accidents from time to time.

I frequently take my little ski boat out to near the shipping lanes (w/in 1nm) to anchor and watch the ships go by.  I'm anchored in 8' of water sometimes.  A 60' motor yacht limping on one engine at low tide and with a north wind in the Houston Ship Channel would likely be constrained as well, but well and truly fucked by the 6 knot container ship running up his ass.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How about we wait for the investigation report.

Intentionally sensational headline makes a declarative statement of fact:
"Seven dead sailors 'were trapped ALIVE inside flooding USS Fitzgerald after their comrades were forced to shut them in to stop the stricken vessel from sinking' after collision with cargo ship"

Actual article text reveals the Navy is looking into the possibility:
"The Navy is investigating the horrifying possibility that some of those who died on the USS Fitzgerald when it sank may have been trapped alive in rapidly flooding compartments as emergency hatches were closed, it has emerged. "
View Quote
Was that a direct cut and paste? Unless something happened that we don't know about I'm pretty sure the Fitz didn't sink.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

A Snipe is an Engineer. These Sailors killed were not.
View Quote
It was a general statement, not specific to the latest incident.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
NYT

View All Quotes
Quoted:
NYT

Japanese officials said on Monday that the accident had occurred nearly an hour earlier than previously believed, and on Tuesday the United States Navy appeared to accept the revised timeline. “We’re not disputing what the Japanese Coast Guard is saying” about the timing of the collision, said Cmdr. Bill Clinton, a spokesman for the Seventh Fleet at the American base in Yokosuka, Japan, south of Tokyo.
While periodically unmanned engine rooms are quite common there wouldn't be a delay in engine RPMs. The wheelhouse has control of the main engine while transiting on most (if not all marine diesels). In my experience the only ships that used the engine order telegraphs for speed changes were steamships.

You'd have a duty engineer who would be responsible for the engine room during the "unmanned" portion of time. They would make a round and answer any alarms.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Was that a direct cut and paste? Unless something happened that we don't know about I'm pretty sure the Fitz didn't sink.
View Quote
Yes.

Just more derpage.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Changing gears from the speculation at how this happened, the DC's leading the DC repair parties to save the ship deserves all of the recognition. This is why you drill in port and underway, there is nowhere to go at sea, fight to save the ship.

I spent many hours while at condition 1 in the aft repair locker prepared to do what's needed to save the ship. We had some great DC's and I learned a lot from them. Was down a GITMO twice for refresh training, we always left wth lots of E's and a DC
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#42]
One of the 7 sailors who died aboard the USS Fitzgerald saved more than a dozen of his fellow shipmates before he ultimately lost his own life, The Daily Beast reported.

When the Fitzgerald collided with the merchant ship, 37-year-old Fire Controlman 1st Class Gary Leo Rehm Jr., "leapt into action," according to The Daily Beast.

The Fitzgerald was struck below the waterline, and Rehm Jr.'s family was told by the Navy that he went under and saved at least 20 sailors, according to WBNS-10TV in Columbus, Ohio.

But when he went back down to get the other six sailors, the ship began to take on too much water, and the hatch was closed, WBNS-10TV said.

http://www.businessinsider.com/this-sailor-sacrificed-himself-save-20-lives-the-uss-fitzgerald-2017-6?utm_content=buffer6fb51&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-bi
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:55:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
One of the 7 sailors who died aboard the USS Fitzgerald saved more than a dozen of his fellow shipmates before he ultimately lost his own life, The Daily Beast reported.

When the Fitzgerald collided with the merchant ship, 37-year-old Fire Controlman 1st Class Gary Leo Rehm Jr., "leapt into action," according to The Daily Beast.

The Fitzgerald was struck below the waterline, and Rehm Jr.'s family was told by the Navy that he went under and saved at least 20 sailors, according to WBNS-10TV in Columbus, Ohio.

But when he went back down to get the other six sailors, the ship began to take on too much water, and the hatch was closed, WBNS-10TV said.

http://www.businessinsider.com/this-sailor-sacrificed-himself-save-20-lives-the-uss-fitzgerald-2017-6?utm_content=buffer6fb51&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-bi
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:00:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Fuck.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

RIP FC1
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:04:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm sure he'll be decorated for that.  What's the highest that he could get these days?  I recall a sailor in the interwar period getting the Medal of Honor for similar actions, but the law was changed to not allow non-combat MOHs sometime before WWII.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not surprised, sacrifice to save your shipmates. Small crews that are very tight in a bad situation all the way around with major damage below the waterline in the berthing area......one way out and it got closed.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
A coworker knows this heros family and his son was friends with him as well, he is taking it hard.

I'm not sure if he saw this story or not

God bless Sailor
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:29:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm sure he'll be decorated for that.  What's the highest that he could get these days?  I recall a sailor in the interwar period getting the Medal of Honor for similar actions, but the law was changed to not allow non-combat MOHs sometime before WWII.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Navy and Marine Corps Medal
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
lol how do you collide with a container ship, in the ocean, with all that technology?
View Quote
WEED!

Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top