Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2017 2:00:53 PM EDT
I am doing a favor for a coworker. They have a street sign they want on their property and I am doing the fab and install. I need to make a bracket and either attach it with U bolts OR weld it to the pole.

I ended up buying galvanized plumbing pipe from Home Depot. I intend to grind off the galvanize to promote penetration and remove the toxins you get from welding it, but I do not know what grade of steel that kind of pipe is made from.

I have a 110v MIG with shielding gas I intend to use. I may just tack it and have my buddy with a 220V finish it but before I get out all my gear... will it actually work?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It'll be fine.

It's carbon steel pipe.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, use ER70S-2 or -6  It'll stick just fine. Given the application I would think a 110 volt MIG with gas should be enough.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, spent 7 years welding galvanized for a fence company..but we don't grind it off..just burn it..problem is , are you sure your sign is steel? Also, need good mask for welding galv. Even if you grind it...
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, spent 7 years welding galvanized for a fence company..but we don't grind it off..just burn it..problem is , are you sure your sign is steel? Also, need good mask for welding galv. Even if you grind it...
View Quote
Sign is aluminum. Clamping style bracket I am welding on will be steel.

Can I hold my breath while welding outside in a breeze to mitigate fumes? Short passes are what I intended. 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Can I hold my breath while welding outside in a breeze to mitigate fumes? Short passes are what I intended. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll lose your gas shield in wind.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Came to post this.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
If itss reallly windy you will but i weld outside a lot with a mig. I have used a piece of cardboard to block the wid on windy days. A welding glove on your left hand works good too.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Use flux core, it is the correct application here.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah. Small directional fan blowing into the back of your helmet and away from the weld. Galva is nasty shit. Taste it for days just grinding on it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#11]
...also, as far as the galvanized you should be fine doing it outside. Grind it off and try not to breathe the smoke.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Can I hold my breath while welding outside in a breez,e to mitigate fumes? Short passes are what I intended. 
View Quote
No because any breeze will blow away your shield gas....but you can swing by your weld shop and pick up a 2 pd roll of shielded wire, tips, and a liner for it and leave the gas off and weld outside all you want..which would be the best way...galvanized fumes are nasty, even with mask with the filters relocated to the bottom of your back you will still get fumed....just not as bad....drinking a couple glasses of milk, before and after helps...but you will still be nauseous....might as well just do it in the shop and buy a decent respirator, most likely cheaper then wire, tips, and liner...although...a fan set up right, with panels to block the weld area may get you by..best advice I can give as a welder...

( me, I would just burn the damn thing and be done....)
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah. Small directional fan blowing into the back of your helmet and away from the weld. Galva is nasty shit. Taste it for days just grinding on it.
View Quote
Our standard test for new hire welders was take them out to the gate tables and hand them 2-6"  1/4" plates fully galvanized and no grinder..if they could stick them together good enough to with stand 5-6 blows with a happier in the vice they passed and we then taught them how to weld galvanized..
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#14]
You're over thinking it.  Just shield the breeze and weld it. Not like it's load bearing. Hold your breathe if you want. Not welding enough to worry about.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Actual welder here, not a hobbyist.

Spend the $7-10 on a welding fume rated disposable mask. Get a gentle breeze going. Keep your face as far away from those fumes as possible.

Weld a bit hotter than normal if you're burning off the zinc. Preferably grind the junk off, but this isn't a critical application.

Drink some milk anyway.

Look up "welding fume fever", if you don't want to spend the $ on a mask...

ETA: did not see ALUMINUM. You're not welding aluminum to steel without explosives. Just go buy some hardware.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#16]
My first reaction is "if you have you ask you probably cant"

Clean off the galvanized and you can weld it just find (make sure you grid it off and dont just scuff it up). (bracket to poll)

Aluminum and steel can be welded together, but you wont be able to do it at home.

Grinding on galvanizing is almost as bad as welding it. make sure you get a good mask and the right filters if you are going to do a bunch of it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Actual welder here, not a hobbyist.

Spend the $7-10 on a welding fume rated disposable mask. Get a gentle breeze going. Keep your face as far away from those fumes as possible.

Weld a bit hotter than normal if you're burning off the zinc. Preferably grind the junk off, but this isn't a critical application.

Drink some milk anyway.

Look up "welding fume fever", if you don't want to spend the $ on a mask...

ETA: did not see ALUMINUM. You're not welding aluminum to steel without explosives. Just go buy some hardware.
View Quote
Is reading not a core competency for an "actual welder"?  
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Clean off the galvanized and you can weld it just find (make sure you grid it off and dont just scuff it up). (bracket to poll)

Aluminum and steel can be welded together, but you wont be able to do it at home.

Grinding on galvanizing is almost as bad as welding it. make sure you get a good mask and the right filters if you are going to do a bunch of it.
View Quote
My first reaction is "If you can't read, you shouldn't be giving stupid advice on the internet."
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Set it up outside in a slight breeze. Ground off the galv.
Stood back far from it and spot welded it on the visible side. Cooked the shit out of it on the back side in small patches. Couldn't knock it off with a hammer. Done. 

My welds are ugly as fuck (sorry no pics) but it won't fall off and kill someone. 

Thanks gents. 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Seriously, I just wasn't sure if the galv was like the old cast stuff with lots or carbon or something.

Kind of like I know it's possible to weld on an engine block but I couldn't do it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top