BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

... and it is good for those obnoxious biting flies that will buzz you until you knock the down and stomp their guts out. It's hard to even
go for a walk with those very aggressive flies. The Permethrin does the job.
View Quote
How dangerous is Permethrin to use around cats? we have...several cats that all stay outside. The wife would divorce me if they all started convulsing and thrashing around from being poisoned.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do you throw them at ticks?

Hang the apple cores from trees?

Throw apple cores all over your yard?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to pick hundreds of them off my 4 golden retrievers every night till I started using Apple cores, in the last 17 years I rarely see it tick
Do you throw them at ticks?

Hang the apple cores from trees?

Throw apple cores all over your yard?
the possums love the apples cores so they stick around eating all the ticks
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Spray insecticide
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How dangerous is Permethrin to use around cats? we have...several cats that all stay outside. The wife would divorce me if they all started convulsing and thrashing around from being poisoned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

... and it is good for those obnoxious biting flies that will buzz you until you knock the down and stomp their guts out. It's hard to even
In a word. VERY. Permethrin should NEVER be used around cats. It's safer once dried (approx 3-4hrs), but while wet can cause tons of neurological problems. I've seen the results of  permethrin for a dog used accidentally on a cat (different Frontline doses stored together out of their appropriate boxes). It wasn't pretty and the cat's owner learned an important lesson when we returned the body.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive never seen a single tick here in vegas, we worry about scorpions...
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it is a problem for cats. You might not want to use it if your cats are out most of the time.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:44:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

In a word. VERY. Permethrin should NEVER be used around cats. It's safer once dried (approx 3-4hrs), but while wet can cause tons of neurological problems. I've seen the results of  permethrin for a dog used accidentally on a cat (different Frontline doses stored together out of their appropriate boxes). It wasn't pretty and the cat's owner learned an important lesson when we returned the body.
View Quote
At the active concentrations you spray at it is a total non-issue. Keep the cats away while it's wet then don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#11]
stay inside
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
maybe maybe not depending on the exposure level and length if they are contained in the yard. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At the active concentrations you spray at it is a total non-issue. Keep the cats away while it's wet then don't worry about it.
maybe maybe not depending on the exposure level and length if they are contained in the yard. 
Seriously if you spray according to labeling it would be nearly impossible for a cat to be overexposed. We are talking extremely low concentrations when performing broadcast applications.

Ticks are very, very sensitive to permethrin based products so higher concentrations are totally unnecessary. If it were me I wouldn't do a broadcast application in the first place, there is no need. Just do a band spray around the areas where you don't want ticks and you will be good to go.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I've lived in CA all my life and never seen one. Some people have said they are here, but I've never seen one. The dogs never get/got them either. They're a non-issue.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't see ticks here, but then again, I wouldn't know one if I saw one. Maybe my surrounding neighbors control them for me. We also have a huge flock of crows/ravens ...maybe they're a controlling factor.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I have never seen a tick in my part of Idaho.  Not on my goats, dogs, cats, or the deer I have harvested.   When I lived in New Mexico I never once saw a flea either.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do what you want, but I'm speaking as someone who worked in animal control and as a former vet assistant. From all the dumbass shit I've seen, and what the manufacturers say, I'd keep cats away from it until dry.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Deer flies are the smaller ones. They bite hard. Regular bug spray works for me and the kids, and I use the ones I kill for bait.

Bream seem to enjoy them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#19]
For those who asked about cats and permethrin...
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BifuRgxIYwU[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5YJm7IvPNM[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lomlOHxDojo[/youtube]

Permethrin
Pharmacokinetics of permethrin

Topically administered permethrin remains mostly on the hair-coat of the treated animals and is very poorly absorbed through the skin. In contrast with natural pyrethrins and older synthetic pyrethroids permethrin is quite resistant to UV-light, which allows a residual effect between 5 and 10 days for most sprays and dips.

Treated animals can ingest permethrin through licking or grooming. Absorption to blood is low. The absorbed permethrin is quickly metabolized in the liver to non-toxic metabolites that are excreted through urine. This is done by a specific enzyme called glucuronidase. However, cats lack this enzyme and cannot metabolize permethrin and other synthetic pyrethroids. This is why permethrin and most other synthetic pyrethroids are toxic to cats.

As a general rule permethrin products are approved for use on dairy animals and on laying hens in many countries.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Fire or Nuclear explosives

Ed
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Fire or Nuclear explosives

Ed
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#22]
This is what you need:

A 1lb pail is enough to mix up 25 gallons of the high strength application and thoroughly cover about 1 acre 3x. Just apply it when you've got about 4-7 days with no rain so it can work its magic.

It kills ticks and everything else, including flying insects. My main problem was wolf spiders. Put some down about 6 weeks ago and haven't seen a single one since. I try to treat my yard twice a year. Once in the spring and then once right near July 4th before my big cookout. That's usually enough for the year.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ive never seen a single tick here in vegas, we worry about scorpions...
View Quote
check this out
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd bet 99.99999999999999 out of 100 cases of permethrin toxicity in cats are caused by misuse of a product.

A cursory search shows K9 Advantix is 44% permethrin by volume. The concentrations you spray for turf pest control are in the .00375% range. That means that the same dose of active permethrin you would give a 15 lb. dog would be spread over 1000 square feet when spread on a lawn.

Once the product is dry the likelihood of moving from the treated surface into the cats bloodstream decreases dramatically. Moral of the story is, applied properly permethrin and synthetics are some of the safest modes of insect/arthropod pest control out there.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Bifen IT.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Permethrin
View Quote
I mix my own. You can get it off Amazon.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#27]
The same way I control mosquitoes, flies, crickets, and just about every other insect.

Amazon Product
  • Cannot be shipped to New York
  • BIFEN I/T multi-insecticide has a broad label you can count on. A true miticide, BIFEN I/T multi-insecticide controls over 75 different pests-
  • #1 Professional and general insect and termite control product.

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'd bet 99.99999999999999 out of 100 cases of permethrin toxicity in cats are caused by misuse of a product.

A cursory search shows K9 Advantix is 44% permethrin by volume. The concentrations you spray for turf pest control are in the .00375% range. That means that the same dose of active permethrin you would give a 15 lb. dog would be spread over 1000 square feet when spread on a lawn.

Once the product is dry the likelihood of moving from the treated surface into the cats bloodstream decreases dramatically. Moral of the story is, applied properly permethrin and synthetics are some of the safest modes of insect/arthropod pest control out there.
View Quote
True. I was posting those for examples of its toxicity. In my earlier post regarding use around cats, I did say "while wet". In my case, when I spray the yard, I increase the percentage because my cat stays indoors at all times and don't even let my dogs out until it's dry.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why risk it at all?  Get bifen.  It's at least as effective as permethrin and is safe on everything that isn't an insect or fish.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#30]
This is only correct answer. Spraying is just a temp fix.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why risk it at all?  Get bifen.  It's at least as effective as permethrin and is safe on everything that isn't an insect or fish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my feeling as well. Considering permethrins toxicity, IMO it's not worth the risk. Just keep it away from cats, at least until dried or use other means.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top