Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2017 7:58:51 AM EDT
I've always had a thing for the old Soviet Dragunov SVD.

Due to the import ban, buying a true Dragunov SVD is out of my reach. Whether it's bringback or one that made it in, you're looking at LEAST 10-12k+ and usually more.

The next level is the NDM-86. Almost a perfect Chinese replica but it's still Chinese.

I consider the Dragunov Tigr carbine as the best bang for your buck if you want a true Izhmash made Dragunov. These are built in the same factory as the SVD but more of a sporter/hunting rifle.
Quite a few were imported in the early 90's but since then, they've become scarce.

You will rarely find a Dragunov Tigr for less than $3000. Even a standard 10rd magazine is going for $100 now.

Most people add the SVD mil parts to the Tigr.....the wood furniture, adjustable gas block, flash hider, 1000m sight, and a few other small parts.

What you're left with is an SVD with a 4" shorter barrel.

I've ALWAYS lusted over a Dragunov, there is just something truly special about it. It's the rifle you expect the commie sniper to be holding in your favorite 80's movie.

Tigr's will never become cheaper unless Trump changes import restrictions so we can pretty much bet on that not happening. Since NDM86s and bringbacks have doubled in price in the past 5+ years, collectors are now going after Tigers.

I wanted one for a long time but put it on the back burner.

Here is a Tigr with SVD parts/furniture.

Fast Forward.

I recently picked up an M24 from Remington using their little rebuild program. Mine has an original Army issued M24 stock, M24 scope (Leupold Ultra M3A 10X), scope rings/base, lower hardware, trigger, etc.. The gun is rebarreled/new action but it's all original parts.
There is very few parts shared between an M24 and a factory 700.
I even have the deployment kit that comes with original rifles.

This is my M24.

I love this rifle but to be honest, it's boring to shoot. It will do 1/2" groups all day with factory match ammo and .75"-ish groups even with low end .308
You can't beat the history on it though. It has layers of paint from Afghanistan or Iraq. This is a rifle you could hang over your fireplace.

It's not a true bring back but it's pretty damn close. Here is all of the parts/accessories I have for it....  (sorry, I made the pics/description for non-shooting friends.)
The deployment kit comes with everything...even a torque wrench for stock screws or ring bolts.
My M24 with pics of all the accessories.

Will these go up in price? I paid around 3k and they're already going for 4k over on Gun Broker.

I was recently given a chance to do a straight up trade for a Dragunov Tigr.

Basically a low mileage Tiger and 3 magazines. It has all of the SVD mil parts.

Similar to this....  (not the exact rifle but similar)

What would you do?
-Both have collector value but that's not a huge concern for me.
-Both are in the same range of value ($3500-4000ish). Both will continually go up in price.
-I will admit, the Dragunov is better for the areas I'm shooting in. I don't have access to 800yd+ so most of my shooting will be 500yds and less. An M24 is barely stretching its legs at that point.
-Both win on cool/unique points. You rarely see any of these at your local gun range. When you do pull one out, it draws a crowd.
-Ammo? 7.62x54R is cheaper but finding decent match rounds is a different story.

I know the Dragunov is not a tack driver and I'll be happy to get 1.5" groups. Again though, it's a gun I've lusted over as long as I can remember.

No, I don't care about Romanian PSLs. They seem to be a good value but they do nothing for me.

Would you make the trade? The Dragunov is from the 60's but this comparison still makes me think of some Cold War 80's battle like Rocky 4.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#1]
M24.  A Tiger is not a Dragunov.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#2]
A Tigr is a Dragunov, it's just not an SVD.
Made in the same factory next to each other.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#3]
If you've always wanted one (or something close to it) make the trade.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree but at the same time, I never figured Remington would be pushing out M24s for the masses (that are less than 5k).
Even the Leupold M3A Ultra is becoming somewhat of a unicorn.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I love my russian rifles and really want a dragunov someday. I can totally see the appeal.

That being said, I would not do the trade.

To me, history > rarity.

Your M24 has history to it, while the dragunov is just a neat rare rifle.

I think you would regret the trade later.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Personally, I couldn't do it.

I know what you're saying about the Tigr, but that complete kit M24-.

That said, you should get what YOU want.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#7]
That's a bad trade for you. Tigers aren't and never will be 4k guns. Id keep the m24 if I was you unless the other guy throws in some cash. No one is paying 4k for tigers.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:13:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Do it. You'll regret it if you don't. I don't see a lot of value in the history of a new reciever and new barrel in a used GI stock and scoped gun.

jd1
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#9]
No, sounds like a good idea at the moment that you'll regret later. Aside from that, your rifle is historic and performs pretty good, the tiger might not meet your expectations. 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#10]
If you can take the small value difference, do what makes you happy.  Sounds like you're bored with the M24.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:17:58 AM EDT
[#11]
If you want the Dragunov, I'd say go for it. I'm not a fan of them, but the value will go up due to your import ban.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#12]
That M24 is awesome. Other gun is a trash can gun.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#13]
You already have the better of the two rifles OP.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:23:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I would not do that trade because I enjoy boring accuracy.  I would buy both and compete my collection.....
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Do what ever makes you happy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I would keep the M24.  It would have better history.  Just imagine how many jihadis it has sent to the beyond.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd keep the M24.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Keep your rifle. You have the better of the two. Save up some bucks and buy the tiger.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I would keep the M-24 mainly because it does what its designed to do but also because it has American history. The trash can sniper rifle even if the gun will shoot good luck getting ammo worth a shit. That M-24 with kit and return stock holds much more interest for me than an import that has had parts swapped out to make it an incorrect clone.

That said life is short do what makes you happy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Get both.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't make that trade. Much as I love the SVD, that M24 has history to it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:01:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do it. You'll regret it if you don't. I don't see a lot of value in the history of a new reciever and new barrel in a used GI stock and scoped gun.

jd1
View Quote
Check out what M-40 return stocks are going for if you can find one. Return stuff is usually a pretty good bet and the M-24 kits come with factory documentation. Like the Tiger there are only so many out there but the M-24 has the plus of American military history in an American market and according to the Remington site you have to be current or prior .mil to even buy one from them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love my russian rifles and really want a dragunov someday. I can totally see the appeal.

That being said, I would not do the trade.

To me, history > rarity.

Your M24 has history to it, while the dragunov is just a neat rare rifle.

I think you would regret the trade later.
View Quote
Thanks, this is the response type I was hoping to get back.

In the early 2000's I had a tackdriver 700 Police but it was the early version with the 5R barrel. The scope was the early 3.5-10x42 MK4 M3 turrets before they become an LRT.  Clone guys with early SPR/Mk12 rifles are looking for those scopes...they're actually semi-rare now.

I traded that for some useless IPSC Open Class race gun.
I was so excited to get into IPSC. The .38 super was Built by Tripp Inc.
STI lower/Caspian upper/Nowlin match barrel/Caspian compensator, and of course the anodized blue Aimpoint Comp. It had 3 magazines. I think two were some insane 27rders. It had some ridiculous 1/2" long flared magwell...but still the ice-cube sized rubber base pads on the bottom of a 27rd would still stick out.

There was health issues in the family and I took time off shooting.

..,.But when I came back, I was like "why the fuck did I make that trade?" I wanted to slap the shit out of myself.

I know it's sacrilegious but that M24 will go hiking, camping, etc.. shooting with me. If I get a scratch, I'll patch it with more paint. I would like to think the original owner would be happier with me out dragging this thing through the brush rather than under a glass coffee table aka BBQ rifle.  

Honestly, I would be more careful with the Tiger. Scratching the beautiful wood finish (thin laminate wood) or bending the receiver cover because someone leaves it open during camping a drunk friend sits on it. M24 can get banged around. The finish on the barrels is the original Rem type and doesn't show wear.

Got off track. But to say the least, here is me with no interest in ISPC (I just want to camp/plink cans/target range) that traded away a perfect 700P for this Star Wars looking space pistol. Going to the IPSC matches also didn't help...maybe it was just my area in the mid 2000s but let's say the Open class was VERY intense. Like when Robocop is on the police gun range.  

For pure fucking stupidity? That gun was it. It was the closest thing I can imagine to a troll gun. Obnoxious everything, blue anodized red dot, 2X 27rd mags. Repeat that. I can fire 27 rounds of .38 super. The trigger was soo light, grip safety pinned, and the compensator would just keep it sitting flat. Just the ridiculous range toy one-upper. Someone pulls a gold Desert Eagle, I can still one-up him when he gazes upon my race gun. I would try to find range shooters with cool guns (Series 70 Colts or anything oddball) and just tell them "Can I shoot 2 mags/14 rdns out of your Colt? You can shoot 54 rounds through my 1911 with a body kit." Looking back it was just a pure douchebag gun.

But of course everyone stares at me now waiting to see me shoot/targets haha    I also had a Kimber Classic (series 1) and I would ALWAYS shoot the Kimber better. The IPSC gun was cool but it just wants you to shoot faster. Not a 50m bullseye gun.

I would still punch a good ragged 1.5" group (at like 5 yds hah) but I only impressed non-gun friends, casuals, etc..  
After shooting, walking from the range bay out to my car was the walk of shame. I didn't even want to make eye contact with the range staff/cashier because they knew I was the idiot with that gun. Any of those guys could have grabbed any beat up/million mile barreled range gun and outshoot me with my Buck Rogers special.

Long story short, yeah, I regretted that trade. I even threw in my Pelican 1750 with the rifle/scope/bipod (early MK4 rings/base). I bet that gun dealer trading me that stupid ISPC pistol was shitting himself with joy. So dumb.

So yeah, I'm 0/1 on trading Remington bolt guns.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I would not trade...

Your comment about the SVD not being a tac driver... I read an article on them a long time ago which advised that the Rooskies made special crates of ammo for them. Not sure what the specs were on it but it was not standard 54R machine gun ammo which is what most people were shooting in them..
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Get both?

Really depends on what you want the rifle for. If you do pick up a Tiger you can take it out as a shooter in the bush, but if you're looking at resale value it's obviously going to affect that. You can clean it up and put a new finish on it but seems most people shy away from rifles like that. Though if you never plan to sell it then it's a moot point. I'm a fan of the Dragunov action and I have both an NDM-86 (in .308) and a Tiger and I will say a Tiger with the shorter barrel is much handier for carry than the longer barrel version. Values have been steadily climbing for the last 10 years too, so really the sooner you snag one the better.

All that said there's nothing wrong with keeping that M24 as well. It's obviously a nice shooter.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't know.

I think it would be hard for me to let go of the M24 because it's issued history. I often look at old guns and wonder where they've been.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:50:54 PM EDT
[#27]
M24. It would be a simple decision for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top