Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I inherited my grandfather's collection.  I priced them about 30 years ago and recall that one was worth $500.  I'm curious to see what they are worth now.  Is there any good website to look up values?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I inherited my grandfather's collection.  I priced them about 30 years ago and recall that one was worth $500.  I'm curious to see what they are worth now.  Is there any good website to look up values?
View Quote
sure
https://www.ngccoin.com/
and a bit more simple
http://www.coinstudy.com/morgan-silver-dollar-values.html
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#4]
People will try to polish up circulated dollars  which in my opinion ruins the coin's collectibilty.  It's not that big of a deal to take a cull or a whizzed morgan to make a ring.  I don't like the idea of these culled coins getting melted down for bullion.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:25:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/133188/IMG-6383-218337.JPGSome silver from my late granddad's collection
View Quote
Looks very nice. Again, invest in some coin capsules. Especially the AU and uncirculated ones, meaning the ones with very fine detail therefore the most expensive ones, you REALLY dont want them thrown in a box banging against one another. In some cases just keeping it like that makes you lose thousands of dollars. For anything in my collection that is in extremly fine or better its either a capsule or it goes into a coin album. ONly "junk" silver gets thrown into bags.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#6]
You assholes just made me spend 37 bucks. Grabbed this in an auction just right now.

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree.  I collect Morgans, Liberties, and I collect the buffalo ounces too
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a couple hundred PCGS MS67 Morgans of various years but all CC. I pick one up almost every month since high school. I'm somewhere near 350. Cost ranged from $50 30 years ago to about $200 today
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't really collect them but I have a few because of their beauty.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#10]
thats pretty cool. Do you have a website?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got a few that I bought just to have because they are cool.  I'm certainly not a coin collector beyond buying a few and the stuff I've found metal detecting, which weren't Morgans.

My ex used to be a bank teller and old folks would bring in Morgans and other old coins to be exchanged for money in their account.  She'd tell them that they were worth much more than face value but the people didn't care.  She got first dibs on buying anything like that at face value, and she built up a nice little collection that way.  I think the last one that she told me about was an 1887-O Morgan, which of course she got for $1.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Funny thing - the tooth fairy seems to always bring my kids old coins like that. The last time he came he brought them a 1923 Peace Dollar, IIRC. The time before that it was an 1850s Canadian large cent.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I know some people dig it but I'll never understand it. To destroy an irreplaceable, beautiful piece of American history to make a silver ring.
View Quote
Some Morgans are quite common and one that has some wear will be snubbed at by collectors . The rings look pretty nice to me .
When the New Orleans mint first started operation they melted down some very rare Mexican 8 reales to produce Morgans .
Morgans are nice but not much in variety in the strike other than mint mark . A CC does not really look any different than a common Philadelphia coin
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I have more Morgan's than I know what to do with.

For everybody that springs for a membership for a non team tank (dog tag, these days) I will send you a Morgan.  For Memorial Day.

Do it by midnight monday.  I have to go to the post office tuesday.

Signed, ThreeDogs.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a couple hundred PCGS MS67 Morgans of various years but all CC. I pick one up almost every month since high school. I'm somewhere near 350. Cost ranged from $50 30 years ago to about $200 today
View Quote
If you're getting MS 67 CC Morgan's for $200, share the source please.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oops missing a zero. It's $2,000+ from a local store
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh, and also bought one more of these. Not a Morgan but so damn pretty and heavy (2oz).  Just beautiful, pictures dont do it justice.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a few, but I wouldn't call myself a collector.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
sure
https://www.ngccoin.com/
and a bit more simple
http://www.coinstudy.com/morgan-silver-dollar-values.html
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Regarding the ones that the Chinese are counterfeiting: Does anyone know if they only try to pass them off as uncirculated or do the fakes include supposedly circulated/worn pieces as well?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Many years ago I managed to buy a genuine Morgan silver dollar for 50 cents.

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Just started buy them for something different to collect. Trying to get maybe 20 coins in my collection.
Morgan Dollar price guide
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I love the ring you made for me.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#24]
This is the prettiest US coin evar

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Regarding the ones that the Chinese are counterfeiting: Does anyone know if they only try to pass them off as uncirculated or do the fakes include supposedly circulated/worn pieces as well?
View Quote
Actually most of the counterfeit ones are slightly or very worn given that like new BU are harder to counterfeit given the greater detail.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Who is calling them MS67s? If the coins are slabbed by PCGS or NGC they are legit and $2000 is still a STEAL for CC morgans of that grade. If the guy is grading them himself he is almost certainly overgrading. Same goes for any number of bullshit slab companies that overgrade all their coins.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#27]
The bazaars in Afghanistan had a ton of them. Cheap.  They all looked the same, down to all the little dents and divots.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I have about 50 that my grandmother gve me when I was a little kids, when silver dollars were worth a dollar each. All in nice condition, but only a few rare dates.

I used to collect older coins; two-cent pieces, three-cent pieces, seated liberty coins, etc. One of my favorites is a half-penny from 1812 in extra-fine condition.

I also have a really nice six-dollar note, hand signed and dated 1776. My wife has a small collection of five/ten/twenty-dollar gold pieces that she inherited.

Most of my collecting was 17th/18th century German and Austrian thalers -- the European grandfather of the silver dollar.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a few . Mostly New Orleans mint
View Quote
I carry one daily. Got it at Cajun Pawn Stars shop.

Johnny is a bullshitter of epic proportions.... In a good way.  Super nice guy when we talk.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I collect them and about 30 other coin types but my favorite is the Civil war time coins.

And maybe the 1909-s vdb cent. I looked for 10 years to find the right one for me that I had the coin for at the time.

The wife that now I am crazy for what I spend on money and she just spends it. Lol
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top