BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:08:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At least those guys are going for measurable results 

If they were buying tungsten inserts for the straight screw slots in their stock screws for $1000 and claiming it smoothed recoil allowing for straighter firing pin travel due to less vibration 
You might have a comparison
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are obviously ignorant of the the geek end of the precision rifle cult...

If they were buying tungsten inserts for the straight screw slots in their stock screws for $1000 and claiming it smoothed recoil allowing for straighter firing pin travel due to less vibration 
You can measure audio, it just that audiophiles don't do it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:10:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I think the realization I had at one time is that it's not hard to reach the level where the room becomes more of a negative to the listening experience than any amount of money can make up for.

I've had the chance to sit in some absolutely insane dedicated "listening" rooms with speakers that cost as much as an Italian Sports cars, and it was a good enough of an experience to make the hairs on my arm stand on end just thinking back to it. I would love to have regular access to something even close to its, but I'm a few hundred million short of reaching that point.
View Quote
No doubt there. That (and cost) is why I went down the headphone rabbit hole. I'm redesigning my studio now and acoustic treatments are going to be where most of my money goes. I already have several decent sets of monitors and amps. If you have a room with shitty acoustics, making the noise louder doesn't solve anything.

I think room design and acoustic treatments have far more value for dollar than your amplifiers, speakers, cables  interconnects once you make the leap above consumer grade equipment.

When I was growing up we had a TV room with a horrendously overpriced Bose surround system (cube speakers with no midrange). It wasn't great, but it was fine for watching TV and movies. Eventually my folks replaced the carpet with laminate flooring and the acoustics of the room were so completely wrecked that you had to crank movies up to 11 to understand the dialog.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:10:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
I mean, you can measure aspects of audio, but can you really objectively measure "Sound" or is it something more reliant on emotional aspects.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:11:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.  They won't do double blind tests or quantitative measurements.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:14:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I mean, you can measure aspects of audio, but can you really objectively measure "Sound" or is it something more reliant on emotional aspects.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's where double blind tests come into play.  "Audiophiles" refuse to participate because they will be proven to be full of shit.

How a person feels and the mood they are in most definitely has an affect on audio perception.

Edit:  I know there are running bets for people to bring in their 10,000 speakers cables and have them double blind tested with 12 gauge stranded or chicken wire.  No one will do it.  Is it the amazing randy that has the bet going?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:14:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

As a senior in HS, I watched our band teacher cry like a baby while he conducted us at our final concert.  We were playing the 4th movement of Beethoven's Fifth symphony.  Some really hard shit...  We had worked on it for 6 months, with lots of ups and downs.  We nailed it during the concert.  It was an amazing experience.
View Quote
I've been there, I was a band nerd too. I've attended and even participated in a few live performances that took words away. My point was I've seen so many reviews of high end equipment where the source material is pop/rock - if Billy Joel live doesn't make you cry but listening to a recording of a concert does... you're full of shit
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:15:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would love a comprehensive video on this. Invite 10-20 popular members of Audiophile boards/blogs, and have them blind test a number of equipment(various mixtures of amps and headphones/speakers) and post the results.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:18:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've been there, I was a band nerd too. I've attended and even participated in a few live performances that took words away. My point was I've seen so many reviews of high end equipment where the source material is pop/rock - if Billy Joel live doesn't make you cry but listening to a recording of a concert does... you're full of shit
View Quote
I think DigDug brings up a good point. "How a person feels and the mood they are in most definitely has an affect on audio perception."

Listening to music in an isolated environment can be infinitely more personal than something like a concert(which I personally have problems getting truly immersed in).

But yah, most people are full of shit. Buy my cables, they'll change your life!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:18:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would love a comprehensive video on this. Invite 10-20 popular members of Audiophile boards/blogs, and have them blind test a number of equipment(various mixtures of amps and headphones/speakers) and post the results.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They all would flat out refuse.  As I said, middle aged men have the shittiest human hearing acuity.  Teenage girls have the best.

What are most audiophiles?  Middle aged men...
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:19:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a senior in HS, I watched our band teacher cry like a baby while he conducted us at our final concert.  We were playing the 4th movement of Beethoven's Fifth symphony.  Some really hard shit...  We had worked on it for 6 months, with lots of ups and downs.  We nailed it during the concert.  It was an amazing experience.
Honestly, many are full of shit.  Look at the flowery vague bullshit they write in reviews.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:23:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They all would flat out refuse.  As I said, middle aged men have the shittiest human hearing acuity.  Teenage girls have the best.

View Quote
Unfortunately you are right. Would make for some great content though.

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:26:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/uzPoDew.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's like an audio wire python that is digesting all the sounds and shitting them out into the speakers.

Don't even get me started about Audioquest shit...

Edit:  a diamond picture...

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:33:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Complete garbage setup. They're not even using gold plated outlets!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:38:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/t_original/1514556538809067810.gif

I just wish I had fuck you money, so I could buy a set of Orpheus and only listen to music through YouTube on them while posting on all the audiophile forums.
View Quote

Reproduce Metalica "Shit in the Shed tour" at Ionia at 99%, and the audiophiles will get my respect.

Considering it was raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock, cold, and the sound was as tight as a modern album, it ain't gonna happen.

Next week, there's a gain twist 1/3 newton form barrel in 1-6.7 lined up to shoot .264's from custom dies...indoors.
Forgive me if Steely Dan, Lighnin' Hopkins, and Bob Seger aren't run through 50K worth of bullshit in the back ground.;)

Best we can do is a late 80's Panasonic Boom box.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:41:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's like an audio wire python that is digesting all the sounds and shitting them out into the speakers.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/16625/IMG-0347-171923.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You're going to make me emotional. Almost snagged a pair of B+W Towers a couple of years ago for an amazing deal. I forget the exact model, but it was the one that was running around $12-14K before the announcement of the D3 series. Kind of regret not doing it.

Quoted:

I only power my speakers with solar power. I find petroleum based energy to be too warm.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:43:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny thing is when recordings  are made, they use regular old cables.  Maybe balanced, but none of this thousand dollar a foot crap peddled by the snake oil salesmen.  And that power cable in the walls?  Regular old cable.  And the power lines into the house?  Regular old cable.  Just like a lot of movies, if you think too hard about it, everything just falls apart.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:49:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Funny thing is when recordings  are made, they use regular old cables.  Maybe balanced, but none of this thousand dollar a foot crap peddled by the snake oil salesmen.  And that power cable in the walls?  Regular old cable.  And the power lines into the house?  Regular old cable.  Just like a lot of movies, if you think too hard about it, everything just falls apart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nonono, the hundreds of miles of cable before the outlet doesn't make a difference. What does is the gold inside the outlet, and the gluten free hydrogen purged negative ion copper power interconnect that's plugged into the outlet for the final 6 feet.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:50:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You're going to make me emotional. Almost snagged a pair of B+W Towers a couple of years ago for an amazing deal. I forget the exact model, but it was the one that was running around $12-14K before the announcement of the D3 series. Kind of regret not doing it.

I only power my speakers with solar power. I find petroleum based energy to be too warm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I know the feeling.  I had a deal fall through years ago for a pair of 803D speakers, the matching center with stand and a DB1 subwoofer for 60+ percent off.  Waited two years for the stuff, but the guy couldn't get the gear for me.  I did get all my money back.

The 805D3s are paired with a set of Rythmik F12 direct servo subwoofers.  The sound it breathtaking.

I have Realtrap bass traps in the four corners of my listening room.  Flatten out the bass spikes nicely.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:51:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
God, your post is causing so much signal noise that I'm developing a headache.

Need to go put my head shielding on.

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:52:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Truth.

I was a kid at Cobo Hall, when Seger's "Live Bullet" was recorded.

I have heard the recording on everything from Pioneer and Alpine Stereos, to high end Klipsh set ups.
The absolute closest has been from the Sansui deck on 70's Yamaha Speakers in my own Barn.

Old Cobo was bottomless and changed everything. No technology can reproduce the sound, without the physical aspect.

I know what I saw and heard. No dweeb is going to reproduce it in their living room.

Damn if I can in the Barn either.

It can't be done, and there is no math to do so.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:53:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/3-06-2014/kZgmqy.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's funny when you discuss this stuff with "Audiophiles" and they just vapor lock.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:55:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dude....get up here and Beer is on me!!!

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:56:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Audiophiles are the reason I have a 5.1 Fluance speaker system, a refurbished Sony receiver and a 72" rear-projection TV, all for less than $1k. 

I quit listening to them and went with Amazon reviews 

Sounds better than my local cinema to me. I don't care if you like it 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:57:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's funny when you discuss this stuff with "Audiophiles" and they just vapor lock.
View Quote
In my experience they fall back to the "muh great hearing".
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:58:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, those damned middle aged men and their superman hearing.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:03:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Come down here, I'll bring machine guns.

Quoted:

Did you just assume their gender?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:09:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://img.ifcdn.com/images/7f8535bc7f688cb0710c48553a6ff0f8e7e0de8eed667457cfc459576b33af7c_6.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://img.ifcdn.com/images/7f8535bc7f688cb0710c48553a6ff0f8e7e0de8eed667457cfc459576b33af7c_6.jpg

Audioslut.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:24:23 AM EDT
[#28]
4kw/8ohms  per channel, 2ohms stable ! 190k pair .I would buy it 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:25:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:34:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Truth.

I was a kid at Cobo Hall, when Seger's "Live Bullet" was recorded.
View Quote
Thats cool as hell.

My favorite live album ever and an all time classic.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:37:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yep, it would be akin to gun guys buying $1500/oz gun oil because of some perceived benefit.
View Quote
But after you realize that $1500/oz gun oil is nothing but cooking oil, you somewhat feel better when licking it off your fingers.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:41:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
The standard household wiring, coming from a noisy mains, from a powerplant dozens or hundreds of miles away is fine...

...but lets minimize the inductive interference over 3 feet of wire from the wall to the device. That'll make a difference.

I bet you $1 that device has a basic 4-diode bridge rectifier inside of it.

Edit: Beaten like an oscilloscope at audiophile summer camp.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:53:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's where double blind tests come into play.  "Audiophiles" refuse to participate because they will be proven to be full of shit.

How a person feels and the mood they are in most definitely has an affect on audio perception.

Edit:  I know there are running bets for people to bring in their 10,000 speakers cables and have them double blind tested with 12 gauge stranded or chicken wire.  No one will do it.  Is it the amazing randy that has the bet going?
View Quote
Yeah James Randi, but he has been called on it and backed out. Micheal Fremer wanted to do it, but Randi kept changing the goalposts and tried to blame Fremer. I lost a lot of respect for Randi when he pulled that BS
https://www.stereophile.com/thinkpieces/021708swiftboat/
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:42:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah James Randi, but he has been called on it and backed out. Micheal Fremer wanted to do it, but Randi kept changing the goalposts and tried to blame Fremer. I lost a lot of respect for Randi when he pulled that BS
https://www.stereophile.com/thinkpieces/021708swiftboat/
View Quote
First post nailed it in the comments. Dude doesnt need Randi to do a blind test and prove he has magic ears. Did he ever do one?

After cruising around reading articles and comments on that site for awhile it seems I have found a community of people even more cunty than photography blogs. Didn't think that was possible. Makes for great entertainment.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:46:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Havent read the rest of the replies but I would say benchrest shooters.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Bought a Schiit Stack for temporary use until the new Sennheiser HDV820 is actually released on the market.
View Quote
You said "Schiit Stack"  lol
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:39:35 AM EDT
[#37]
If you're into vintage audio, check out audiokarma.com. They have a nice EE, but you have to be a paying member.  

The Arfcom of Vintage Audio
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#38]
I think an alumnum foil deflector beany would be cheaper to stop " the interference...."

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:51:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Or you could save $183,500 and buy one of these and have real measured performance that meets or exceeds the audiophile option:

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I sold audio equipment in the early 80s. I loved the people who claimed to be audiophiles. once I learned to speak their language I made a lot of money!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:07:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Wow I didn't know anything about audiophiles before clicking this thread.  This is some interesting stuff.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#43]
The joke at the high end audio places is these wires are so good, only doctors can hear the difference.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen a lot of turbine generators but I've never seen one with shielded outputs.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Audiophiles are idiots. They deal with the intangible, and are limited by their own subjectivity, while having no actual physical control of the instrument of their objective.

Precision rifle geeks, laugh at NASA, and physics professors.
Old warehouses in sketchy parts of town are rented, so exterior ballistic theory can be proved in a Vaccum....legality's be damned.

Terminal Ballistics are field proven by adjusting velocitys for POI, by planning range and atmospherics, using a modified Muzzle loader, and animals are dropped under hard won legal permits.

No Audiophile has ever subjected themselves to -60F to expand the knowledge base of air.

Precision rifle Geeks are the ultimate Geeks. They can back up their Geekdom with hard won data.

The closest thing to Audiophiles in the Gun subculture, are the IPSC dweebs.
Fashion rules.
View Quote
Hardcore audiophiles are retards for sure.

And so are hard core PRS guys.  Got banned from a FB group when someone asked whether or Not cold bore shift was real.  Told him to go shoot his damn rifle to figure it out.  Turns out he was a marine sniper and PRS guy.

Apparently he never shot a rifle either lol.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Some racers are this way as well . Back when I was crew chief of a circle track car that won a lot we wrapped the rear springs in electrical tape . Within 2 weeks 5 other cars had done the same thing. We did it strictly as a joke.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:04:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yep, it would be akin to gun guys buying $1500/oz gun oil because of some perceived benefit.
View Quote
So $10 for an oz of lard doesn't count?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#48]
I am a shooter, retired aircraft wrench and road cyclist.   I can still tell you that XM sat radio has shifty sound quality but it stops there.  

Road cycling is hell on your hearing.  The constant wind noise rumbling in your ears is actually pretty bad for your hearing.   Harley riders with no helmets or just top caps have the same issue with the loud pipes added for effect.

Long range shooters could be like audiophiles but they normally have data to back up their claims.  The audio crowd does not have shit that a human could detect.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#49]
I would rather not stare at 4 giant prolapsed anuses while listening to music.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#50]
What the hell are those? Creatures from the Vincent Price movie "The Tingler?"
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top