Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2017 7:33:51 PM EDT
I just picked this small axe head up for $2 at the flea market today. It's a True Temper Flint Edge hatchet head.

It weighs 1 lb 14 oz, but I suspect it used to weigh 2 lbs because the bit is very thick compared to most TT axes of this size. This is probably a pretty good indication of a lot of use and wear.

It is unusual in that it has USA stamped above the logo and LC-1 stamped on the other side.

I posted this on another board and one of the guys there said they saw one at auction listed as a WWII Signal Corps hand axe with a canvas cover dated 1944. I have no idea if this might be true so I thought I would ask about it here. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here so I bet someone will recognize the LC-1 stamp. The USA stamp really makes me think it could be a US Army tool.

Anyway, I mounted it on a 24" Beaver Tooth handle I had laying around. Because it has such a thick edge I thought it might make a decent small splitting axe. It's closer to a Wetterlings than a True Temper.

No matter where it came from it will be a fun little axe to play around with.

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure looks like one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Most US Mil tools and firearms just have U.S. or U.S. Property on them, not USA. Axes may be different.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#3]
sure looks like it.

one in perfect shape sold for 110....so yours is probably like what, 25?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I did a quick search, and it looks like it may be.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sure looks like it.

one in perfect shape sold for 110....so yours is probably like what, 25?
View Quote
Priceless. It's only really valuable to axe junkies like me and those who love history.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#7]
The flea market is on tomorrow and Monday if the rain holds off. Who knows what I'll find!

Last week it was a 105 year old boy scout hatchet. One of the very first produced. Anchor Plumb with no nail notch.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:13:35 AM EDT
[#8]
You've probably posted this dozens of times, but:

What do you use to get those edges on your axes?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You've probably posted this dozens of times, but:

What do you use to get those edges on your axes?

Thanks,
View Quote
1 x 30 harbor freight belt sander. I start with 40, 80, 100, 180, 240, 400, and then two grades of cork polishing belts, 400 and 600 grit.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:30:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I feel like grandpa had one of those hanging in the barn. For some reason the markings just look familiar.

He might have stolen it when he got out.

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

1 x 30 harbor freight belt sander. I start with 40, 80, 100, 180, 240, 400, and then two grades of cork polishing belts, 400 and 600 grit.
View Quote
Ah yes, i remember now, thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top