Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/27/2017 2:14:00 PM EDT
From what I understand the days of an agent driving the family around in a town car all weekend are over.

I will be taking the license exam soon and I drive an 02 F150 SuperCrew. While I could go buy pretty much any care I wanted to I don't have room in the garage for a Benz and I am just not a Benz or BMW guy anyway.

We already have two cars in the garage so whatever I get (if anything) will be in the weather.

I am thinking an Accord might fit the bill. It won't turn off a family buying a 150,000 dollar house and people with money often don't spend it on cars anyway so it should not bother anyone on the higher end either.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I drive a heavily modified 1985 Bronco and a restored 1976 F150. Fucks given by clients=0.

In fact, the Bronco once rescued a client who was buried in the mud, then moved his furniture that was in said truck to the house he had just bought since his truck couldn't make it. Your truck is fine.

ETA: Most of my clients really like my old shit. And in my area, they're better off riding with me in the Bronco in some situations if they're looking at stuff out in the sticks.

I'm in the process of restoring my 1967 Continental Sedan, that'll be handy too.

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Get started before worrying about new fancy autos.  If you put in work you can sell houses driving a rusty 78 Ford.  If you're fooling around an S600 isn't going to help you.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#3]
When we bought my agent just set up an online portal with some properties matching our criteria and we met them/followed to check out. Riding around with an agent seems like a captive sales strategy and sets off the shady alarm in my head. I like to be able to bail when I want to bail.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Realtor checking in.  I drive a Honda Civic usually .  When working with buyers, I do everything in my power to keep them out of my car unless they are single, hot women.  I want them in their own car so they can talk freely among themselves while we are out looking at houses.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#5]
The smart ones dont drive really fancy cars, they know there clientele. That said the super successful ones can drive whatever they want.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Fucking Realtors.

Can't be trusted.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Not even a little.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#8]
No. They usually have something capable of carrying signs ("Open house") and I don't have anyway of knowing whether that's their only car or their 2nd-3rd-or 4th car.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fucking Realtors.

Can't be trusted.
View Quote

You need to become a better judge of character.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, a conservative sedan is a good call if you are buying a business car. But I would just drive what you got.

FWIW, a friend was in the market a couple years ago in the Vancouver, WA area. The first realtor he met was a woman with a stick up her ass driving a Prius. They showed up at a house and another realtor who was a veteran and driving a Hummer was there. He said when they got out of the car this realtor went off on how disgusting it was that the other realtor was driving a gas hog while selling houses. When my friend saw the veteran agent he asked for his card in front of the bitch. When they got back to his car she asked what he thought. He told her "I think your a bitch because you were bad mouthing a veteran who has done more for your country than you will ever do. I think I'll go buy a home from him." He told his new agent about the old one and the guy confirmed she was a bleeding heart liberal with a stick up her ass.

Have fun and good luck!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I care more about their knowledge and how many properties they own.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I could care less, they could get around town on a skateboard. I just want my house sold for top dollar with minimum hassle.

Actually wait... I might not hire a realtor that drove a really expensive vehicle, because that probably means they charge more than I want to pay.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope not.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:01:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Drive a Subaru and get the Gay vote.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I would prefer to see my realtor in a practical car and something not too pretentious
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Drive a Subaru and get the Gay vote.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Funny you should mention town cars.
For the first three years or so, after my parents got their '90's town car, they would often come out to it, and it would have a business card of a real estate agent, under the wiper, with a note asking if they would like to sell the car.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I drive a 1992 Volvo 245... I've had three clients so far offer to buy it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes. I was taken around in some 20 year old GM POS that got stuck on an icy hill.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I try not to do business with anyone who drives a foreign-brand automobile, just because it's too easy to find other folks who like to support America's economy by driving domestics. Other than that, I don't much care what type of vehicle it is.

In before someone asks me if I'm aware that such and such is built here while such and such is built in Mexico. Yes, I'm aware and IDGAF.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#21]
... Absolutely. Don't you?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

From what I understand the days of an agent driving the family around in a town car all weekend are over.

I will be taking the license exam soon and I drive an 02 F150 SuperCrew. While I could go buy pretty much any care I wanted to I don't have room in the garage for a Benz and I am just not a Benz or BMW guy anyway.

We already have two cars in the garage so whatever I get (if anything) will be in the weather.

I am thinking an Accord might fit the bill. It won't turn off a family buying a 150,000 dollar house and people with money often don't spend it on cars anyway so it should not bother anyone on the higher end either.

What do you guys think?

View Quote

I wouldn't want you as a realtor because you have shitty investment skills. Unless you plan on selling multi million dollar homes right out of the gate ( newsflash, you aren't ) no one gives a shit what you drive. Keep the truck save your money.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Balance, grasshopper.

You want them to feel like you're one of them, on their side. You don't want to come across as phony.

Despite all the virtue signaling responses, presentation matters. I need to feel like the guy selling my house is good at selling houses. A nice vehicle says "yeah, my job is to sell houses, and I'm successful at it." We can dissect the nuances and exceptions, but it is what it is. You don't have to drive a brand new shiny luxury car, but don't embarrass yourself. Keep whatever you drive clean and nice, don't raise any flags either way. Think car version of a well kept home. Just because it's a 2 bed, 1 bath doesn't mean it's ok to have peeling paint and a weedy lawn.

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I work with quite a few realtors and I've seen them drive everything from a beat up old lesbomobile (Subaru) to a new Mercedes and everything in between.  It made zero difference in the grand scheme of things.  The realtors with the most business networked the most.  A smart real estate agent will meet clients at the property and let them have their space.

Like some folks have mentioned, a nice car might convey to some buyers that the realtor is successful at his trade.  It can also have the opposite effect.  They might think "holy shit, I can't afford the guy driving a Maserati".
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I expect my agent to wear mud boots and be willing to get muddy and dirty and should be driving a 4X4 pickup preferably with a winch in front and one mounted in the bed should be hauling a trailer for his SXS 4 wheeler.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Nope, wouldn't care at all.

I'd hire the first real estate agent that showed up with a packet of comparable sales, where they had adjusted the sales prices to make the homes truly like for like and then trended prices forward from the sales date using actual data to create a fair market value today.  Then a page on what we could do to pay less than fmv if buying or get more if selling.  

I have never met a realtor with technical/analytical skills.  Just soft skill (eg "I'm a good people person").  Be the only guy who actually knows what he's talking about and you win.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I work with quite a few realtors and I've seen them drive everything from a beat up old lesbomobile (Subaru) to a new Mercedes and everything in between.  It made zero difference in the grand scheme of things.  The realtors with the most business networked the most.  A smart real estate agent will meet clients at the property and let them have their space.

Like some folks have mentioned, a nice car might convey to some buyers that the realtor is successful at his trade.  It can also have the opposite effect.  They might think "holy shit, I can't afford the guy driving a Maserati".
View Quote
lol, we have a guy in our office that drives a Maserati.  I told him that it's cheaper to have a shirt made that says "I have a tiny penis".  He wasn't amused. In all fairness though, he deals almost exclusively in high end (>$700K) properties.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I never think about what realtors drive.

Actually, I never think about realtors at all.

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#29]
The one I've known and used for the past 20 years drives a buick sedan.

I'd say I don't care but since nearly every person I've ever met who drove a mercedes was a complete shitweasel and the majority of BMW and Volvo drivers I encounter while commuting are rude and obnoxious I have to admit I would be mildly prejudiced against working with someone who showed up in one of them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Drive what you have .

If sell rural properties,  ranches ect, then it will come in handy.

When you build your business up and start selling 7 figure properties ( residential ) yout might consider getting something in addition to your truck.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#32]
My REA has a badass Porche but the first couple times we met him he was driving an older Xterra.
I just kind of assumed he did that till he felt out how his clients were towards wealth.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Not particularly, but if he/she is driving a shit box, then I'm going to assume that he/she isn't a very good real estate agent.

Where are these $150,000 houses anyway?  
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I drive a heavily modified 1985 Bronco and a restored 1976 F150. Fucks given by clients=0.

In fact, the Bronco once rescued a client who was buried in the mud, then moved his furniture that was in said truck to the house he had just bought since his truck couldn't make it. Your truck is fine.

ETA: Most of my clients really like my old shit. And in my area, they're better off riding with me in the Bronco in some situations if they're looking at stuff out in the sticks.

I'm in the process of restoring my 1967 Continental Sedan, that'll be handy too.

http://i.imgur.com/9wXNPSx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IqdQKlj.jpg
View Quote
GAAd dangit, you beat me to "Mine drives an 85 bronco"
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#35]
The one I use to buy drives a lambo.

I could care less.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#36]
No, as long as it doesn't leak on my driveway.*

*Owner trying to sell
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#37]
I think my realtor drove some Acura SUV.  I didn't think anything of it, good or bad.  I also knew he lived in a $2mil house.  Didn't care.  He was successful, good for him.  His success also meant he really didn't have a need to be a pain in my ass.. and he definitely wasn't.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#38]
My realtor drives a giant van with his company logo on it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I picked the one that showed up wth comps, could use their smart phone to get data asap, and critiqued my property with ideas to make it sell better.  None of the others checked all three boxes.  Most didn't even check one.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#40]
I work on a lot of Realtors cars.

The more successful ones drive a nice, newer less expensive and most important CLEAN car. A few I can think of have Jettas or Passat to drive clients in. Their personal cars are usually like a Q5 with all the standard personal car crap laying around like empty water bottles and gym bags.

The less successful drive older luxury cars that are beat to shit. One guy had to climb in his front window because the handle broke and he didn't? have the money to replace it.

Basically, nice, newer, clean, safe quiet. Fake old fancy screams desperate, a regular car is honest.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Nope, wouldn't care at all.

I'd hire the first real estate agent that showed up with a packet of comparable sales, where they had adjusted the sales prices to make the homes truly like for like and then trended prices forward from the sales date using actual data to create a fair market value today.  Then a page on what we could do to pay less than fmv if buying or get more if selling.  

I have never met a realtor with technical/analytical skills.  Just soft skill (eg "I'm a good people person").  Be the only guy who actually knows what he's talking about and you win.
View Quote
My realtor is a retired mechanical engineer running his own real estate business.  He knows a lot about construction and works closely with home inspectors, contractors, and appraisers.  Seems to be a rare thing, but it's nice to have someone like that and why I went back to him.  He drives about a 5 year old 4x4 pickup, but I couldn't give a shit what he drives.  He sells a lot of farms, so he needs the 4x4.

It would be moronic to choose an agent based on their vehicle.  And to those agents saying they don't drive around their clients, I think that would be the way to go.  I would want to be in a separate vehicle for my wife and I to talk about properties we look at.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#42]
A Honda Accord is what I drive. It has more room inside than you might think. I rarely have a customer or client in my car. I generally
meet up with the customer at the house I am showing. If the Accord is what you want go for it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#43]
One I know drives a Saturn Vue.

Other than that, I really don't care.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't give a damn about what they drive.  All they do for me is punch in the code for the little key locker on the door and let me in houses.

Years ago it might have mattered, but now, not so much since more and more people are finding the houses they want to see on the internet.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#45]
The agent that helped me buy my house probably rides a bicycle now after losing his job due to talking shit on twitter to a celebrity.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Beverly Hills (Mercedes or) or Portland (Subaru) would require special cars.

Every where else not so much.  Pickup to sell ranches or farms
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I don't give a damn about what they drive.  All they do for me is punch in the code for the little key locker on the door and let me in houses.

Years ago it might have mattered, but now, not so much since more and more people are finding the houses they want to see on the internet.
View Quote
I bought my last 3 houses on Amazon. Sold them on Craigslist.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#48]
I expect a late model Acura at the minimum.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Shit no. I care if they sound full of shit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#50]
The realtor up the street from me has a run down office next to his house.
He also has a dozen or more classic cars and trucks in various stages of disassembly and an old Greyhound bus turned RV.

Guy has been in business for at least 20 years, he must be doing something right.

As for me, I do look at stuff like that.
Not so much the type of car but if they take care of it.

If you drive a dirty beater that has an interior that is all full of garbage, I don't really want to do any business with you.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top