Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/27/2017 1:45:32 PM EDT
Went out to my range this morning. Took a Garand, K98, K31, M44, Arisaka Type 2, and a SMLE.

This was the first trip out with SMLE and the M44, I have other Mosins but this one is new to me.

I am amazed at how accurate the SMLE is, I got a really good deal on it but it's in pretty rough shape.
I am dissapointed in the M44. It shoots way left even after adjusting the from site as far as I could, my other Mosins are relatively accurate.
The Arisaka shoots great.
I have a few Garands, the one I had today doesn't group very well IMHO.
The K31 had become one of my favorites.
The K98 is Greg rifle but it has more recoil than the others.

Any way here are some pictures.

Targets at 50 yards.

First round with M44

2nd round with M44 after moving the front sight

SMLE

K98

It was a great morning.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]
good thing WWII didn't break out again..

nice pics, good shooting..thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice. Was hoping to see pics of your completed mobile shooting bench though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Indeed, it looks like it was a great morning  
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Try shooting the 44 with bayo extended.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Indeed, it looks like it was a great morning  
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#6]
This is AR-15.com.

What's with the wood shit?

Kidding,looks fun.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#7]
What is up on the cover, on a bipod?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#8]
nothing better than mounting the rifle in a front and rear mount on a bench and doing nothing but squeezing the trigger
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
nothing better than mounting the rifle in a front and rear mount on a bench and doing nothing but squeezing the trigger
View Quote
I know right. When testing handloads for accuracy it would be stupid not to remove the part that can move.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is up on the cover, on a bipod?
View Quote
AR10T

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is AR-15.com.

What's with the wood shit?

Kidding,looks fun.
View Quote
The only rifles I own that aren't wood, are ARs.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like a fun time; nice collection of mil-surps.

On a totally unrelated note, I've seen your postings over the years and know you're into higher end gear than most. I know it's an odd observation, but you may want to look into upgrading your brass catcher on that AR10. Those caldwell ones suck in my experience (occasionally caused jams, resulting in damaged brass etc.)

Might want to look at something from these guys http://www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com/

and no, I'm not affiliated with them; they just work well, but are expensive.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'll let you borrow a smoothbore handgonne and some slowmatch if you want to make aiming as difficult as possible.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:32:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Looks like a fun time; nice collection of mil-surps.

On a totally unrelated note, I've seen your postings over the years and know you're into higher end gear than most. I know it's an odd observation, but you may want to look into upgrading your brass catcher on that AR10. Those caldwell ones suck in my experience (occasionally caused jams, resulting in damaged brass etc.)

Might want to look at something from these guys http://www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com/

and no, I'm not affiliated with them; they just work well, but are expensive.
View Quote
I'll check it out, thanks for the link.

I generally I lay a very large painters cloth on the ground next to my bench to catch all the brass and then roll the cloth up after I'm done. I forgot it it at home this morning.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I can attest to the fact that the velcro-attached Caldwell brass catchers suck and cause malfunctions.  The Caldwell catchers that attach via a picatinny rail rock, however.

FWIW, my son this afternoon.  Not bad, considering it was a cheapo Wal-Mart special-

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like a great day.  Really nice grouping from the Enfield.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#19]
very nnice
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I can attest to the fact that the velcro-attached Caldwell brass catchers suck and cause malfunctions.  The Caldwell catchers that attach via a picatinny rail rock, however.

FWIW, my son this afternoon.  Not bad, considering it was a cheapo Wal-Mart special-

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3906/IMG-20170527-143935-217644.JPG
View Quote
That's awesome. My daughter will go with me every once in awhile.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I really liked the SMLE's that I owned.  Sold and traded them as I was really in to Garand's.   What ammo were you shooting through it?   I found 180gr .311" bullets shot great in my reloads, but I had a hard time with some hang fires using some of the old surplus ammo out there.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't all Mosin's shoot left...?

eta....j/k....
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Take the M44 out again and try it with the bayo extended. I believe that's how they were sighted in
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I really liked the SMLE's that I owned.  Sold and traded them as I was really in to Garand's.   What ammo were you shooting through it?   I found 180gr .311" bullets shot great in my reloads, but I had a hard time with some hang fires using some of the old surplus ammo out there.
View Quote
I was using handloads with 174gr SMK's with IMR 4350.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Take the M44 out again and try it with the bayo extended. I believe that's how they were sighted in
View Quote
I will try that. My other M44 shoots slightly left but nowhere near as bad as this one, the sights on my other rifle are centered at it shoots 1" to the left.

The one I was shooting today is a few inches left and I've adjusted the sight over this far-

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I find the K31 emits class and elegance, even compared to other wood and steel bolt rifles.

And with your mechanical fascination I bet you just love how that bolt works.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I find the K31 emits class and elegance, even compared to other wood and steel bolt rifles.

And with your mechanical fascination I bet you just love how that bolt works.
View Quote
The K31 is a work of art in my book.

I want to buy another one and install a scope on it to see what the round is really capable of.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Try shooting the 44 with bayo extended.
View Quote
Ayup.  Changes POI and I believe they were originally sighted in with bayo extended.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ayup.  Changes POI and I believe they were originally sighted in with bayo extended.
View Quote
I'm not disagreeing but it seems really odd that a rifles accuracy depends on the bayonet.

I never knew this about these rifles so I am looking forward to testing it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm not disagreeing but it seems really odd that a rifles accuracy depends on the bayonet.

View Quote
Believe it or not it CAN make a difference. How much is TBD.
Years ago I was into the Mosin Nagants and I learned how the bayonet can actually affect how it shoots.

You have a nice collection there, BTW. I had a K31 and never shot the thing. The stock looked like it was a dog's chew toy, but that trigger...fantastic.
It's shame the surplus rifle market seems to be drying up finally. One can relive history a bit by owning one of those rifles.
And that AR10 is actually sexy. I feel dirty for even typing that.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:04:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Years ago I was into the Mosin Nagants and I learned how the bayonet can actually affect how it shoots.

You have a nice collection there, BTW. I had a K31 and never shot the thing. The stock looked like it was a dog's chew toy, but that trigger...fantastic.
It's shame the surplus rifle market seems to be drying up finally. One can relive history a bit by owning one of those rifles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a few more still to add but I am happy to be able to own and shoot a part of history.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Very nice OP
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Great thread!

I am happy to see the accuracy of your Arisaka.  Years ago I tested my Type 38 at a hundred yards and was disappointed to see a virtual shotgun pattern.  The rifling looks okay, but the bore clearly has worn out some.

I have a Type 99, too, but have only had the opportunity to do some offhand plinking with it.  Eventually I'll test out its accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:52:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Great thread!

I am happy to see the accuracy of your Arisaka.  Years ago I tested my Type 38 at a hundred yards and was disappointed to see a virtual shotgun pattern.  The rifling looks okay, but the bore clearly has worn out some.

I have a Type 99, too, but have only had the opportunity to do some offhand plinking with it.  Eventually I'll test out its accuracy.
View Quote
I am shooting handloads out of mine using the same 174gr SMK that I use in my 7.62x54R and .303.

The rifle shoots great in my opinion, I think I could probably tighten the groups if the trigger was better.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm just here for the pics, so do you have any of your range?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#36]
That a paratrooper Ariska?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes it is.

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm just here for the pics, so do you have any of your range?
View Quote
It's not a great picture but here is a picture I took from the 50 yard targets yesterday(I took it so I could look at my phone and see what rifle to use on what target).

You can see the 100 yard target and look closely up the hill and you will see the 500 yard targets.

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Wow, Im so jealous.

I have wanted to do exactly what you've done in buying WWII rifles. Unfortunately, grad school put a hold on that. I reload so the odd calibers won't stop me from shooting as well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sure looks like one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Your Saturday was way more fun than mine was.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Wow, Im so jealous.

I have wanted to do exactly what you've done in buying WWII rifles. Unfortunately, grad school put a hold on that. I reload so the odd calibers won't stop me from shooting as well.
View Quote
I know a lot of surplus exists for the old surplus rifles and I have a lot of it but find myself enjoying reloading and shooting my own loads thru them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Great Shooting OP!

I have a $99 Pawn Shop " Bubba'd"  1916 BSA SMLE that I hope to find wood for one day ( That I can Actually afford!) and restore to it's original glory. The barrel and action are intact.

I can only dream that it will be that accurate. It does have a decent bore, although I haven't shot it yet.]

Nice day at the range!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Sweet collection of old soldiers. 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Great Shooting OP!

I have a $99 Pawn Shop " Bubba'd"  1916 BSA SMLE that I hope to find wood for one day ( That I can Actually afford!) and restore to it's original glory. The barrel and action are intact.

I can only dream that it will be that accurate. It does have a decent bore, although I haven't shot it yet.]

Nice day at the range!
View Quote
Mine is a Ishapore that has definitely seen better days. I'm shocked at how good it still shoots.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#46]
I am jealous of that Arisaka 7.7? Load your own ammo?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#47]
2nd pic, beautiful rifle
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I am jealous of that Arisaka 7.7? Load your own ammo?
View Quote
Yessir I handload for every gun that I shoot which includes all the surplus rifles I shot yesterday.

Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I will try that. My other M44 shoots slightly left but nowhere near as bad as this one, the sights on my other rifle are centered at it shoots 1" to the left.

The one I was shooting today is a few inches left and I've adjusted the sight over this far-

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn38/rccox/Guns/C544407A-5EFD-4686-A6F7-E619DAC127FD.jpg
View Quote
This made mine much more fun to shoot--
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The K31 is a work of art in my book.

I want to buy another one and install a scope on it to see what the round is really capable of.
View Quote
The S&K Insta-Mount is fairly solid, but forget about ever using stripper clips-

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top