Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2001 3:31:57 PM EDT
What are they like?  How much different from USA's laws???

Thanks,

Capt.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#1]
They suck! Nothing in any military caliber. If they find one round of .223 in your car you will loose the car and spend lots-O-bucks trying to get out of their resort like jails. The NRA and the CRPA has complete info if you are thinking of bringing firearms into Mexico.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Have been there many times...  don't even think about firearms and MX unless you have bucks to throw.  If you want to hunt, just use what the guides provide.  For more details, contact me by email and I'll give you one of my brother's email address.  He's lived south for about 15 years now and used to work for the MX government.
W
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Nahh.. just wondering what it was like down there in case USA ever gets to be too bad. I know Canada sucks, sooo....
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#4]
A guy I used to dove hunt with got tired of paying the ammo prices at the Mexican lodges down there and smuggled in his own ammo. Needless to say, he got caught and had to spend a lot on bribes to get back home. They also seized his two shotguns.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#5]
There are very noticeable signs on the California side of the border when driving into Tijuana, Tecate or Mexicali that state it is against the law to take firearms or ammunition into Mexico.

One kid I know who lives on a ranch in Nevada went to Tecate to race last year. Crossing the border, they searched his truck, which is fairly common, especially when you've got a box van. The guards like to see what's inside, just to make sure there are no guns or drugs being smuggled into the country. (Of course, the appreciate being offered T-shirts, hats or stickers and often grant a more cursory look for such swag.)

Turns out the guards found a couple rounds of live ammo in one corner of the truck so he got hauled off to jail in TJ. Spent the night there, so he missed the race the next day. Seems he completely forgot about the ammo being in the vehicle. Don't know how much it cost in Mexican lawyer fees to get him out; never did ask him. He was 17 at the time. Viva Mexico, eh? Not! [}:(]

Of course, their laws don't seem to keep the drug cartels from arming themselves heavily. And there sure seem to be lots of guerilla types running around with ski masks and AKs in mainland Mexico creating havoc with the government troops and local cops.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:05:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Mexican law and Mexican reality are entirely different.  The law is that almost no guns are legal, the reality is that every one has guns.  If they think they can get away with fucking with you, they will.  

I had two run-ins with Mexican border police, one clearly on the US side.  The situation on the US side was a standoff, me and my buddies with AR and M1As facing down a half dozen of their people and inviting them to look at a map and head south.  

The second time, I got lost in the desert and came accross a road that led to a town, but there was a big chain accross the trail leading to the road.  Naturally, we put the old bolt cutters to work and headed through and drove into town.  We realized something was wrong when all of the signs were in Spanish and an old ford started following us.  The guy never flashed any lights but sure seemed bent on chasing us down, so we just headed north accross the desert until he got stuck.  Once we got some distance away, we got out and checked him though the binoculars (and some other optics) and he seemed to be some sort of Mexican Border patrol.  Had to let the air out of the tires to head accross the sand dunes and that sucked gas like crazy.  It was a very looong day.  

Anyway, I sa guys going back and forth accross the border to go shooting and the law on either side did not seem to care much (this was in Arizona).  I think things are different in Mexicali because they want to pretend they have a real government there.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top