Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/26/2017 6:39:44 AM EDT
Link

A Clearwater cop is out of the job after police say he used excessive force when arresting a 13-year-old boy.

It happened on the morning of April 2 outside of the Family Resources youth home on Union Street.

Staffers called 911 to report an out of control teenager who was breaking objects and punching another teen.

Officer Michael Leonardo and two others came to the shelter to take the teen into custody. The teen was handcuffed and headed to the squad car when police say the arrest turned violent.

Surveillance footage shows Officer Leonardo try to take down the teen before he throws him to the pavement, hard.

Clearwater Police Chief Daniel Slaughter believes Officer Leonardo used excessive force to control the teen.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:42:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen a lot worse without being fired.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:43:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Meh
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:43:55 AM EDT
[#3]
That's a pretty big 13 year old.

Kid keeps growing at that rate and he's going to have some nice NBA contracts in his future.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:44:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Oops camera
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:45:21 AM EDT
[#5]
That "teen" was violent, and not a small kid.

No punches?

A takedown to maintain control?

Huh?

Seen a lot worse keep their jobs.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:45:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Kid keeps growing at that rate and he's going to have some nice NBA contracts in his future.
View Quote
This.

That little tug though didn't warrant a take down of that magnitude.

Can't disagree with the firing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:48:23 AM EDT
[#7]
It's a 13 year old kid that's in handcuffs and you have 2 other officers with you. The kid does pull away but I don't think the answer to that is body slam him. Another 10 steps and you have him in the car.

I'm not a cop nor am I a cop basher, this is just my observation and personal opinion.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:48:26 AM EDT
[#8]
ZFG!!!! That's not some 80 pound kid.....
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#9]
That seemed like appropriate force. That "teen" is a fucking monster of a "kid."  I know adult construction workers less bulky than floppy-haired shithead.  Probably six generations of shitheads like that in his family and the seventh will be started some time next year.  What was that quote from yesterday? "If half the population of the planet weren't shitheads, the other half wouldn't have to be assholes."

Maybe people would prefer they use batons to his thighs or something.  Get him in the nuts, stop the madness of continuing to breed.

Whatever, I don't care, find a job at a different department.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:25:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That seemed like appropriate force. That "teen" is a fucking monster of a "kid."  I know adult construction workers less bulky than floppy-haired shithead.  Probably six generations of shitheads like that in his family and the seventh will be started some time next year.  What was that quote from yesterday? "If half the population of the planet weren't shitheads, the other half wouldn't have to be assholes."

Maybe people would prefer they use batons to his thighs or something.  Get him in the nuts, stop the madness of continuing to breed.

View Quote
Kid looked about 5'10 average build and soft. The former cop really didn't have to do anything, the kid turned and said something then continued to walk. The cop was just mad.

Notice the look the one standing cop gives the other after the slam?  Notice neither one wanted to get involved? That should tell you they know the 3rd fucked up.

Good firing.  We don't need assholes with uncontrollable tempers being police.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#11]
That looked...excessive.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:32:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
His street cred is well underway.  Got his first arrest and take down.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Kid did not pull away.  He turned to speak to cop (probably to mouth off), and when he turned away to face the direction of travel, the cop picked him up and slammed him face first into a concrete sidewalk bordering an asphalt driveway.  Gigantic chance of causing physical injury to face, jaw, etc. over being mouthy. And he did get a broken nose, chipped teeth, and cuts on his face.  Not justified.

You can have a badge, or you can have a temper, but not both.  Bad slam.

Look at it like this: does anyone think this would make the kid suddenly turn into a model citizen who has a newfound respect for law enforcement?  Or is it more likely to make this kid hate all cops, now and forever?  Now let's see who can think more than one step ahead in their analysis...
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh no, it's a child.  Won't somebody think of the children??!!?

I have no idea why people think struggling with the police is a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Usually I bitch about the cops taking it too far, but I didn't really see anything wrong with this.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Didn't see much of a struggle if any. I know you can feel forces that can't be seen when in contact with another person but there's no way whatever movement the kid made (small enough so as not to be seen) would have caused me to feel the need to ground him to maintain control.

Cop was just pissed, and thought that since he was out of the door, he was clear to take out some frustration.

He didn't know there was a camera there.

Oops.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just watched it several times.

Appropriate force for what? A person turning to mouth off?

There was no "struggle" until the cop pushed him forward and then pulled him backward before the half assed supplex. When a person is pushed off balance, they involuntarily move their feet to stay upright which is what the kid did. The cop would feel that as struggle.

Evidently whoever was in charge and watched the vid agrees that he was out of line.

Hot heads, lacking self control, will cost a dept money eventually. Good firing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#18]
It wasn't me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Bad slam
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I thought he had a good appeal case until I read the rest of the article. In addition to the teen's injuries, there was this:

The chief is also concerned with how the teen was removed from the squad car by the two other officers, and how he was spoken to while he waited for paramedics and writhed in pain.
View Quote
There's probably a lot more to the firing than just the slam, but the slam is the easiest thing to blame the firing on.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:12:19 AM EDT
[#21]
It's not the size of the suspect but whether the suspect did anything to justify the use of force.  I didn't see anything in the video.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:15:53 AM EDT
[#22]
You guys might literally shit yourselves if you had any knowledge of pre-cameras-everywhere police work. 
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Kid's gettin' paid.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Cop would have been making handcuffed suspects bow to his authority for a long time if not for that camera.

I'm not surprised that so many here agree with body slamming a handcuffed teenager.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:20:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You guys might literally shit yourselves if you had any knowledge of pre-cameras-everywhere police work. 
View Quote
I used to represent cops for a certain PBA.  I have a pretty good idea.

I like having police.
I support police.
I wish police the best, including a safe shift.
But no fucking way do I trust police at all.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Oops camera
View Quote
Yep!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Link

A Clearwater cop is out of the job after police say he used excessive force when arresting a 13-year-old boy.

It happened on the morning of April 2 outside of the Family Resources youth home on Union Street.

Staffers called 911 to report an out of control teenager who was breaking objects and punching another teen.

Officer Michael Leonardo and two others came to the shelter to take the teen into custody. The teen was handcuffed and headed to the squad car when police say the arrest turned violent.

Surveillance footage shows Officer Leonardo try to take down the teen before he throws him to the pavement, hard.

Clearwater Police Chief Daniel Slaughter believes Officer Leonardo used excessive force to control the teen.
View Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLaSywBZ7TE

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57330/ExtorrisGD-zpsys64mzhp-129790.gif
View Quote

The lesson here boys and girls:  If your going to body slam someone for the hell of it, make sure to break the neck.  That way you get your job back after it goes to court.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Damn cameras
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#29]
He died got fired doing what he loved.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:39:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Don't know the entire story. We only know what is on the video. From what I see it is a bad take down.

But let's assume the kid is a kick boxer or something similar, and the officer has prior experience with this man child, and the cops were called because of his violence today, I can understand the take down.

Need to know more about this.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Kid looked about 5'10 average build and soft. The former cop really didn't have to do anything, the kid turned and said something then continued to walk. The cop was just mad.

Notice the look the one standing cop gives the other after the slam?  Notice neither one wanted to get involved? That should tell you they know the 3rd fucked up.

Good firing.  We don't need assholes with uncontrollable tempers being police.
View Quote
Just a reminder that a good cop will never stop a bad cop, they will just stand there and watch.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Don't know the entire story. We only know what is on the video. From what I see it is a bad take down.

But let's assume the kid is a kick boxer or something similar, and the officer has prior experience with this man child, and the cops were called because of his violence today, I can understand the take down.

View Quote
Damn son, you just ignored like every informative post in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Good slam.  Don't do something to end up in cuffs and then double down by mouthing off and you won't end up eating asphalt.  Sounds pretty shit simple to me.

The more you know.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Good slam.  Don't do something to end up in cuffs and then double down by mouthing off and you won't end up eating asphalt.  Sounds pretty shit simple to me.

The more you know.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:58:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Kid did not pull away.  He turned to speak to cop (probably to mouth off), and when he turned away to face the direction of travel, the cop picked him up and slammed him face first into a concrete sidewalk bordering an asphalt driveway.  Gigantic chance of causing physical injury to face, jaw, etc. over being mouthy. And he did get a broken nose, chipped teeth, and cuts on his face.  Not justified.

You can have a badge, or you can have a temper, but not both.  Bad slam.

Look at it like this: does anyone think this would make the kid suddenly turn into a model citizen who has a newfound respect for law enforcement?  Or is it more likely to make this kid hate all cops, now and forever?  Now let's see who can think more than one step ahead in their analysis...
View Quote
Well thought out response, came to say this.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The more you know.
View Quote
Slam a non resisting suspect in cuffs because your fragile ego is bruised and you will end up unemployed and possibly in cuffs yourself.  The more you know.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#37]
That is not that "kid's" last encounter with the police.  The standard for getting people out of society needs to be lowered.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:15:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The more you know.
View Quote
use of force rules change when a person is in cuffs
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#39]
I Hope the Chief was a Sgt at one time.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Actually it probably did.  I guarantee that wasn't the first of it.   

He got fired for being mean to a black.   If it had been a white kid not a word would have been said.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Did he pull him out and tase him at the end?
Good fire. Hope he struggles to find new work. And fuck those other two standing around
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#42]
And of course the other cops did nothing to stop their out of control partner.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Well maybe next time the 13 year old will turn in his Iphone when told to do so.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The more you know.
LOL, no they don't.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Meh.  Cop will beef to the union, union will beef to the department, it'll go into mediation, cop will be restored with back pay, cop will keep on working until they find something else to fire him for.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
A handcuffed teenager? Sorry dude, that's not Chuck Norris Jr. in cuffs there. No excuse for that scumbag to slam him like that. No way it's justified. The guy is supposed to be a professional, not a thug.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Your attitude is what makes good, honest, law-abiding people mistrust the police.   You don't get to do Street Justice anymore, and you shouldn't if you want the support of the bulk of good people in society.

Citizens seeing a cop getting jumped and beaten by a team of thugs can do the "smile and wave" too, you know...
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That is not that "kid's" last encounter with the police.  The standard for getting people out of society needs to be lowered.
View Quote
Yeah you sound level headed enough to make that call
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#49]
A LEO, at my former PD, locked up a 6 year old and didn't get any type of discipline. 

6 year old handcuffed
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Two other officers and he's in handcuffs.  

Bad body slam

Now I believe the little shit probably deserved it but it wasn't his place to do it.  Looks like he lost his temper and it's gonna cost him his job.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top