Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/26/2017 12:48:55 AM EDT
Not  new to working out..Just had not really had access to a decent gym for awhile due to where I live.  Sort of in the boonies here, and any gym I would have gone to is 30 min away at least in the opposite direction of where I usually travel to.  There is a gym at work that I use on a regular basis, and while there is some rather nice equipment there and the layout is half decent it has no free weights aside from dumbbells.  It's all smith machine type stuff which doesn't really leave me feeling like i get any kind of decent workout when it comes to some exercises like bench press, squats, etc..

I wasn't really looking to add on another monthly bill, but when I thought about it a little bit I was actually close to buying some free weight equipment for home use that would have cost more, and cost me space in my house.  that latter part is not good at all since I am trying to clear shit out.

I noticed the other day that a new gym had replaced the space where a supermarket was on my way into work so I stopped in.  After a quick tour of the facilities, and seeing a well equipped free weight area and some other things that interested me, I signed up and started working out.  It's not perfect, and lacks some stuff the work gym has, such as an area to do plate pushing and battle ropes, but the free weight area makes up for that.

First thing that I noticed is that a lot of people are doing some exercises in what is to me a weird way.  Kipping type pull ups and pushups that are a swooning type of motion (i think of it as kipping on the floor).  I've seen this stuff mentioned here in GD before, and know that it is part of the crossfit world (though the cross fit gym I've been to before does not do these exercises with that type of movement).  It really doesn't seem like an effective exercise at all, and is doing nothing more than using momentum from your body to help you complete a set.

ETA:  Other bonus is I don't see co-workers there.  More and more I was running into people who at the work gym who wanted to spend time "talking shop" when I really just wanted to be left alone to work out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:53:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Gotta get those reps in, even if they wouldn't count in any elementary school fitness test.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:54:47 AM EDT
[#2]
It burns calories. Which is all 90% of people at the gym are trying to do, when you get down to it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:55:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Come work out in my garage.  

We don't kip here.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:00:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It burns calories. Which is all 90% of people at the gym are trying to do, when you get down to it.
View Quote
When you put it that way, it makes sense.
Besides, if they "kipp" it long enough, maybe they will be able to do an actual correct pull up.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:01:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Our fitness center at work was quite extensive with a good mix of cabled and free weights.

A few months ago, they revamped it by increasing the barely used yoga room by 1/3, and adding three Crossfag stations.  

They removed our smith and two other leg machines, and got rid of our two main flat benches.  They removed 75% of our Standard olympic plates, and brought in the jumbo plastics (10# plates the size of 45s etc).

It really sucked at first, especially when the interns and co-ops flocked in to try their hand at the stupid fad that's Crossfit.

It took a few months, but those of us that have been working out there for years learned to adapt.  Most of the new engineers, interns and co-ops come and go so fortunately I haven't seen a kip here in a while.  Fortunately the stations can still be used for legs and chest free weights when we slide a 4' quick bench in, or use the stops and level pegs they finally got for them after people bitched.

Give it a chance, because Crossfit will die and the old tried and true will remain.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:04:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Besides, if they "kipp" it long enough, maybe they will be able to do an actual correct pull up.
View Quote
Kipping isn't recommended to anyone until they can do strict pull-ups so...
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:05:37 AM EDT
[#7]
CSB
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:06:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Our fitness center at work was quite extensive with a good mix of cabled and free weights.

A few months ago, they revamped it by increasing the barely used yoga room by 1/3, and adding three Crossfag stations.  

They removed our smith and two other leg machines, and got rid of our two main flat benches.  They removed 75% of our Standard olympic plates, and brought in the jumbo plastics (10# plates the size of 45s etc).

It really sucked at first, especially when the interns and co-ops flocked in to try their hand at the stupid fad that's Crossfit.

It took a few months, but those of us that have been working out there for years learned to adapt.  Most of the new engineers, interns and co-ops come and go so fortunately I haven't seen a kip here in a while.  Fortunately the stations can still be used for legs and chest free weights when we slide a 4' quick bench in, or use the stops and level pegs they finally got for them after people bitched.

Give it a chance, because Crossfit will die and the old tried and true will remain.
View Quote
Leave it to a guy that uses smith machines and doesn't know what a bumper plate is to call it "crossfag".
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:07:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I haven't been to a gym in years. My work is my workout (and my legs are jelly at closing time) and I have no idea what this "kipping" you speak of is.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:11:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Leave it to a guy that uses smith machines and doesn't know what a bumper plate is to call it "crossfag".
View Quote
Bumper plate/stops/level pegs.  Care to thoroughly read what you quoted?

You call it a tomato, I call it a tomáto...  You call yourself a crossfitter, but I'd use my above term in my OP for you if it wasn't COC.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:13:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Come work out in my garage.  

We don't kip here.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:16:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Bumper peg/stops/level pegs.  Care to thoroughly read what you quoted?

You call it a tomato, I call it a tomáto...  You call yourself a crossfitter, but I'd use my above term in my OP for you if it wasn't COC.
View Quote
No prob. Call me what you like. Just stop acting like people in the gym are kipping everywhere. For that to be true they'd have to be doing pull ups. They aren't. Globogym fags do bicep curls followed by tricep pulldowns followed by barbell curls in the squat rack...all while watching themselves in the wall-to-wall mirrors.

ETA: You apparently have no idea what bumper plates are. You may want to look them up before acting like King of Fitness.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:23:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No prob. Call me what you like. Just stop acting like people in the gym are kipping everywhere. For that to be true they'd have to be doing pull ups. They aren't. Globogym fags do bicep curls followed by tricep pulldowns followed by barbell curls in the squat rack...all while watching themselves in the wall-to-wall mirrors.
View Quote
Good point, and you're right they're not doing it all the time...anymore.  It was a trend that came and went here it seems.  They WERE doing it all the time within a week after we reopened once the renovations were done.  Like I said, it was a certain bunch.  In all fairness, that bunch can be lumped into the same types as the globogym fags you mention.

As far as the mirrors, my scrawny ass uses them but only because I need to watch my form so I'm 'doing it right'.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:23:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Do you even kip bro?

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:56:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I've seen it at my gym.  To each his/her own.  A lot of the ninja warrior types are into that.  For sure a fat burner, but not strength gained.  It's definitely a fad.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:00:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Gotta get those reps in, even if they wouldn't count in any elementary school fitness test.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:11:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait. Were you or were you not complaining that the smith machines were removed? This is important.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:12:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good point, and you're right they're not doing it all the time...anymore.  It was a trend that came and went here it seems.  They WERE doing it all the time within a week after we reopened once the renovations were done.  Like I said, it was a certain bunch.  In all fairness, that bunch can be lumped into the same types as the globogym fags you mention.

As far as the mirrors, my scrawny ass uses them but only because I need to watch my form so I'm 'doing it right'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're looking in the mirror, you're doing it wrong.

Disregard my previous question.

Crossfitters are stronger than you. Don't hate.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:17:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:20:07 AM EDT
[#20]
A few points...

1. The kipping pull-up is just one of dozens of exercises found in Crossfit workouts, yet people think that's all that ever happens in a Crossfit gym apparently. And they don't like it for some reason. And, in true Arfcom fashion they have to make sure people stop liking what they don't like.
2. Strict pull-ups are also found in plenty of Crossfit workouts.
3. The kip is used in toes-to-bar, pull-ups, chest-to-bar, and muscles ups. All very worthy exercises...that...again...people have decided are unworthy because cross fitters do them.
4. The kip is used for bar muscle ups which train for ring muscle ups which open up all the exercises possible on the rings. Exercises which require a ridiculous amount of strength and body control.
5. In conclusion, the kipping pull-up is a building block assistance exercise for lots of other much harder movements. Movements that no elementary student would ever be asked to or be able to do in gym class or on a fitness test.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:24:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Do you even crossfit brah?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:30:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I have no idea how kipping doesn't tear biceps.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:34:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's not biceps. It's shoulders. You need lots of shoulder mobility to kip.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:34:58 AM EDT
[#24]
LOL

This is so dumb and I'm glad my little bobo gym doesn't harbor losers like this.

Deadlift, squat, bench, pull ups close and wide, military press, and HEAVY FUCKING shrugs you're gtg. Oh yeah throw in some bi and tri.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:47:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's not biceps. It's shoulders. You need lots of shoulder mobility to kip.
View Quote
But at the bottom are not the arms fully extended or do you have to keep them Bent?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:03:14 AM EDT
[#26]
OP have you asked someone at work about getting some more free-weights or squat racks?  Couldn't hurt to ask, it may just be that whoever outfitted the gym doesn't know anything about gyms.

Goofiest thing I ever saw in a gym was a guy that stacked up several of those multi-height stools, to about shoulder height, grabbed a couple 10lb dumbbells, stuck one foot up on top of the stools, and proceeded to hop on the other foot in a circle around the stools while half-assed doing overhead presses with the dumbbells
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:09:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Real question is have you found a gym girlfriend yet?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 4:39:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:36:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Rough on the six joints involved.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Have them do pullups against a wall and see how many they can do then....
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I haven't been to a gym in years. My work is my workout (and my legs are jelly at closing time) and I have no idea what this "kipping" you speak of is.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#32]
I have no clue what a kip is.  Sounds weird.  But I don't get the "our way is the right way to work out" and other exercises should be denigrated thang.

Anyone that goes the the gym regularly, raises their heart rate and performs motions that cause resistance to muscles is on the right path.  Some work out harder than others.  Some might not actually be getting the best benefit of their time.  But heck, they are there instead of siting in McDonalds chowing down on a pile of french fries.

If people are there and not standing around on their phones it's a good start.  If they are kipping OK.  No idea but I've seen weird stuff before.  Happy they are trying.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But he needs to check his form.  At least since they took his smith machine away.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
It doesn't put any stress at all on your biceps.  Really you should be using your lats.  Each kip is basically an explosive row, pulling with your lats.  The rest is just resetting.  This works different muscles than a straight up and down strict pullup and is more of an explosive movement.  It really helps build your clean, if you clean.  It takes shoulder mobility, but you shouldn't really be using your shoulders much.  Like any repetitive motion, it can damage you.  But I don't think there's anything inherently dangerous about it.  Unless you're as heavy as me.  I might break the fucking rig down.  It does destroy your hands if they're not conditioned to it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#35]
First time I heard of kipping i thought we were talking about engineering units.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're weak because you crossfag, don't hate.  See how stupid that sounds?  Yeah, you sound just as stupid saying that when you have no clue...BRO!  
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You're weak because you crossfag, don't hate.  See how stupid that sounds?  Yeah, you sound just as stupid saying that when you have no clue...BRO!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know enough.

And you misunderstand. Crossfit is still gay. You're just weaker. Check out the fitness spectrum:

Soccer moms>bro smith machine users>crossfitters>oly lifters>real lifters (strongman, powerlifting, etc)

I'm on the right side of the spectrum. So sorry you're on the left.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
First time I heard of kipping i thought we were talking about engineering units.
View Quote
You know how I know you were never in the military?

But also, yes... the kip is an underappreciated (and confused) unit of measure.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A few points...

1. The kipping pull-up is just one of dozens of exercises found in Crossfit workouts, yet people think that's all that ever happens in a Crossfit gym apparently. And they don't like it for some reason. And, in true Arfcom fashion they have to make sure people stop liking what they don't like.
2. Strict pull-ups are also found in plenty of Crossfit workouts.
3. The kip is used in toes-to-bar, pull-ups, chest-to-bar, and muscles ups. All very worthy exercises...that...again...people have decided are unworthy because cross fitters do them.
4. The kip is used for bar muscle ups which train for ring muscle ups which open up all the exercises possible on the rings. Exercises which require a ridiculous amount of strength and body control.
5. In conclusion, the kipping pull-up is a building block assistance exercise for lots of other much harder movements. Movements that no elementary student would ever be asked to or be able to do in gym class or on a fitness test.
View Quote
What does all the head bobbing crosstards do train them for
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I think smith machines are more retarded than kipping pull-ups.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Truth. They serve no purpose. They lure the uneducated in to a false sense of security and then destroy their shoulders and knees and back.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

LOL

This is so dumb and I'm glad my little bobo gym doesn't harbor losers like this.

Deadlift, squat, bench, pull ups close and wide, military press, and HEAVY FUCKING shrugs you're gtg. Oh yeah throw in some bi and tri.
View Quote
Thats a great start but you'll need several more pulling exercises like BOR or Pendlay rows, face pulls, flys, etc. to ensure a healthy back.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Which one is more beneficial in terms of spending calories and building muscle....5 strict pullups, or 25 kipping pullups?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Which one is more beneficial in terms of spending calories and building muscle....5 strict pullups, or 25 kipping pullups?
View Quote
spending calories: 25 kipping

building muscle: 5 strict

not hurting yourself: strict
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I go to the gym to be awesome. Not burn calories.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Much more.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
25 strict pullups.  5 isn't enough to do anything.  There's no point in doing kipping pull-ups if you're not doing a crossfit style workout.  Murph, for example, would suck balls doing all strict pull-ups.  Or Fran.  If you think torturing yourself is fun.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:59:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd wager 99% of people who poo-poo a kipping pullup couldn't even do 1.

Physics......moving 185lbs of body weight is moving 185lbs of body weight.  Gravity won't be cheated.

Clue, it's about "core" work.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm betting if they can kip 20-30 pullups they could manage to do a few with arfcom approved form.

And Smith machines are gay. And not the good kind of gay either. More lemon party rather than coed party.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top