Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#1]
On one of the Dirty Jobs episodes, Mike Rowe worked at a rendering plant.
They lowered a cow into the grinder, and it didn't take long to make it into ground cow.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I worked at a pet food factory for 7 years.  We had one of those.  However, we only ground up skulls, rib cages, etc.  The hide, meat, and most organs were of some value so they were removed first.  

We picked up many tens of thousands of head of "deadstock" annually.  We were know as "Your Local Used cow Dealer."
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If that video was in North America, I'd be shocked. No way is grinding an animal up like that allowed under any certifications for food for animal consumption.
View Quote
That is exactly what I was thinking. Intact and full guts, bones and hide are generally not allowed in animal feeds as far as I know.

Apparently I was all wrong.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:17:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Would guess animals being destroyed due to some sickness.

When outbreaks happens here its a logistical nightmare to get the animals destoyed asap
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only problem I have with that is that it's wasting a lot of steaks.
Would guess animals being destroyed due to some sickness.

When outbreaks happens here its a logistical nightmare to get the animals destoyed asap
Animals die before they go to market.  They can't be butchered for human consumption at that point.  Those animals go to the rendering plant.

Also:  old breeding stock, stillborn young, etc...
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Bullshit
View Quote
Why would I make up a story like that?  I'm not saying the fast food companies dump entire carcasses into their food. That video is clearly the disposal of diseased/dead animals, not something meant for human food.

What made me think of this story was that one of the engineers had a very similar video of how they tested the machine.

I was a supplier to the company. . They were having return/warranty issues, and suspected a problem with my parts.

The problem was a potential corrosion issue, so the company asked for samples from their customers, who were all of the major fast food companies.

Samples of the meat they were running through the equipment were sent in, and one of the samples was noticeably nastier than the others. Most of the samples were varying cuts of beef. No pink slime, just meat.  Wendy's was the best, it looked like sirloin steak.

But then there was the last one.   It was sealed inside two bags, and when the outer bag was cut open, the odor was released.  Contained bits of hide and cartilage. Fucking nasty.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Video doesnt bother me. Animals are already dead. Would be fucked up if thrown in alive
View Quote
Agreed.  But it wouldn't be fucked up to toss some people in there while they're still alive.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#7]

They don't even skin or gut them?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#8]
In gif?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I
Man, you said it.  I wonder how much they pay the guy who cleans out the machine when it gets clogged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bet that room smells like Satan's asshole.
I
Man, you said it.  I wonder how much they pay the guy who cleans out the machine when it gets clogged.
Probably not as bad as a mink food processing operation.
Did some work at one of those.  Holy Fuck the smell was horrendous.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#10]
The op video featuring cows and a horse were pretty tame, but the baby chick videos mentioned... Rough. Alive into a blender. Crazy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#11]
image being the maintenance guy who has to work on that thing.

fuck that
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Good thing Himmler did not have plans for that.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They way the disclaimer was, I thought I'd at least "woah". But that video was boring as fuck.
View Quote
yeah. that was weak sauce and didn't even need a graphic disclaimer.

but I grew up where grandpa slaughtered cattle and grandma cleaned the innards for menudo.

honestly I can't stand the smell of menudo.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
On one of the Dirty Jobs episodes, Mike Rowe worked at a rendering plant.
They lowered a cow into the grinder, and it didn't take long to make it into ground cow.
View Quote
Came to post this. I thought it was Dirty Jobs but wasn't sure. I remember the grinder on that show was a lot faster than this shredder.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why would I make up a story like that?  I'm not saying the fast food companies dump entire carcasses into their food. That video is clearly the disposal of diseased/dead animals, not something meant for human food.

What made me think of this story was that one of the engineers had a very similar video of how they tested the machine.

I was a supplier to the company. . They were having return/warranty issues, and suspected a problem with my parts.

The problem was a potential corrosion issue, so the company asked for samples from their customers, who were all of the major fast food companies.

Samples of the meat they were running through the equipment were sent in, and one of the samples was noticeably nastier than the others. Most of the samples were varying cuts of beef. No pink slime, just meat.  Wendy's was the best, it looked like sirloin steak.

But then there was the last one.   It was sealed inside two bags, and when the outer bag was cut open, the odor was released.  Contained bits of hide and cartilage. Fucking nasty.
View Quote
Not even a vague hint as to which chain had the mystery meat?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
And that's the fist step in the hotdog making process
View Quote
Nope. Most likely disposing of sick/diseased animals.  You can't mix bowels and meat together.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:34:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fuck.  I'm never eating dog or cat food again, even if it's 'just to see how it tastes'.
View Quote
No shit, I'm swearing that stuff off for good this time
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Reaction over time:

This is boring, when does it start?

Oh, that's not so bad.

Yeah, this really isn't so bad.

Oh, here comes a big one!

WHOA!  IT SQUIRTS!  Stand back!

There's the loader wheels, I wonder what he has now...

HOLY SHIT, is that a HORSE?!

Fuckin wild!

Hoof!  There it is!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Tasty
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#21]
That machine......steady.....methodical.....beautiful....
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#22]
chicken nuggets?
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=87a_1391402315
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I was thinking the same thing. How they treat live chicks and baby ducks is much worse.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bet that room smells like Satan's asshole.
View Quote
It's that the same as Pelosi's breath?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I've seen that video before, it's a rendering plant.   Dog food, cosmetics, bone for china...  They produce all kinds of products.  

It is a cool process, but it smells fucking horrid.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The only problem I have with that is that it's wasting a lot of steaks.
View Quote
No, it is not. That is what they do to animals that for some reason can't be used for human consumption. There are a variety of reasons why. Most common is that they have vet drugs in them, (antibiotics, dewormers usually) or they died of disease ornatural causes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Put Arby's sauce on it.
View Quote
Horsey Sauce?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Fuck.. Hotdogs just lost all appeal !
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#29]
nice.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:52:19 PM EDT
[#30]
yall sure that one cow was dead?

he moo ed around a little

I think I saw him wink just before they dropped him in the pit

poor moo moo

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:56:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Aaaaaaaaannnnnndddd that last one was?????

Are you trying to jerk us off a little and not finish us off, or what?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:00:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Something very therapeutic about watching those teeth smash into flesh one at a time, nice and smooth, row by row.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:02:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Video doesnt bother me. Animals are already dead. Would be fucked up if thrown in alive
View Quote
That's what I was waiting to see...if they pushed live ones in or not. 

MOOOOOOO!    
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:03:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
I worked on a research project that used mink when I was in grad school.  The smell of mink food, mink musk, and mink sh*t mixed together is beyond disgusting.

Not to mention mink are f*cking psychotic creatures.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That machine......steady.....methodical.....beautiful....
View Quote
It does have an odd rhythm to it...what makes it look odd is that the first blade reappears before the last blade disappears.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Horse was being a lol stubborn compared to the cows.
Let up on the competition I guess .
Eat mor chiken'
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I worked on a research project that used mink when I was in grad school.  The smell of mink food, mink musk, and mink sh*t mixed together is beyond disgusting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Friend growing up would call a place to pick up dairy cows when they were dead on the farm. He said they loaded those animals in a dumptruck with all kinds of other dead shit, pigs, deer, sheep, etc.

I think it is how they get tallow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If that video was in North America, I'd be shocked. No way is grinding an animal up like that allowed under any certifications for food for animal consumption.
Friend growing up would call a place to pick up dairy cows when they were dead on the farm. He said they loaded those animals in a dumptruck with all kinds of other dead shit, pigs, deer, sheep, etc.

I think it is how they get tallow.
Valley Protein.
They used to PAY the animal shelters for the dead animals. Then folks' feels got hurt. So now, they have to PAY to have them hauled off
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Correct. Animal food has to meet the same FDA requirements as food for human consumption in the way of safety. (Not nutrition) One reason is because a portion of the population consumes pet food. No brain matter or spinal cord due to CJD concerns. Whole host of other requirements. My neighbor is a world renown food safety scientist, on a recent commissioning of a pet food plant in the upper Midwest, the FDA wanted/expected a Zero ecoli count, a standard higher than that for a plant that produced human consumption products. 
No idea where that video was produced but diseased animals or contaminated product have to be destroyed in the U.S. & aren't allowed to enter the food chain. 
Keep that in mind for SHTF; if people are fighting over the last can of Dinty Moore, head over to the pet food isle and stock up. 
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top