Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/25/2017 11:55:12 PM EDT
http://wjtv.com/2017/05/25/gun-goes-off-at-health-clinic-after-woman-drops-purse-1-shot-in-leg/

According to Ruth Cummins of the University of Mississippi Medical Center, the incident happened on the 4th floor of the Lakeland Medical Building on Lakeland Drive around 11 a.m. This is one of UMMC’s clinics, officials said.

UMMC police said 59-year-old Debra McQuillen is charged with misdemeanor simple assault negligence and felony carry of a concealed weapon in a non public sensitive area.

Cummins said the visitor dropped her purse on the 4th floor at the ENT/Otolaryngology clinic and the gun inside of it went off. A patient was shot in the leg and taken to the hospital.
View Quote
This will be a good test of State law, she had a permit.
@Nolocontendere
Any thoughts?

AG opinion
http://www.ago.state.ms.us/releases/attorney-general-issues-opinion-to-clarify-gun-carry/

The following list identifies places which by statute you cannot carry regardless of the type of permit you have:

1.         Any place of nuisance defined inSection 95-3-1 whichwouldinclude “any place . . .  in or upon which lewdness, assignation or prostitution is conducted, permitted, continued or exists or any other place . . . or upon which a controlled substance as defined in section 41-29-105 . . . is unlawfully used, possessed, sold or delivered and the personal property and contents used in conducting or maintaining any such place for any such purpose.  See Miss. Code Ann. Section 95-3-1 (as amended).

2.         Any police, sheriff or highway patrol station.

3.         Any detention facility, prison or jail
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
someone is not telling the truth.  What was it, a glock?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:00:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
someone is not telling the truth.  What was it, a glock?
View Quote
I think it was a .22 revolver

AG opinion
http://www.ago.state.ms.us/releases/attorney-general-issues-opinion-to-clarify-gun-carry/
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:00:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Which members wife? Tons of dudes here talk about their wife purse carrying.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:04:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Which members wife? Tons of dudes here talk about their wife purse carrying.
View Quote
Who's missing one, I think this chick is locked up.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:12:57 AM EDT
[#5]
NAA Charter arms 22 derringer have a reputation for firing when dropped?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:52:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Just another case against purse carry. Also make sure your carry gun is drop safe  We must always try to learn from others mistakes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:14:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just another case against purse carry. Also make sure your carry gun is drop safe  We must always try to learn from others mistakes.
View Quote
I'm more interested if they can get the felony charge to stick.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:16:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't think they will.
View Quote
I don't see how they could even charge her, the law is pretty damn clear.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I could see someone trying a civil case, but if it was secured in a holster I don't see it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not if carried properly.  At least mine has a little indent in between each chamber for the hammer to rest.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm confused. I read the AG opinion page. I don't see carrying in a hospital to be mentioned there. The quote you put up on it mentions where controlled substance is unlawfully possessed..... unless she had drugs.

So what are they charging her for?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm confused. I read the AG opinion page. I don't see carrying in a hospital to be mentioned there. The quote you put up on it mentions where controlled substance is unlawfully possessed..... unless she had drugs.

View Quote
Does this have to do with the fact someone was shot?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#15]
8.         Any juniorcollege, community college, college or university facility.

sounds like they are going to claim any of the property the ummc occupies is no carry, smarter people than me can argue where that line really is.
as a juror i would look at the building, does it have classrooms, lecture halls, or housing?
is it a building full of clinics and offices for patient care and hospital admin?

if its the latter and the offices are run buy the college its no diff than a posted office building.

id bet they lower the felony charge and she pleads guilty and gets a fine and loses her permit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:04:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
8.         Any juniorcollege, community college, college or university facility.

sounds like they are going to claim any of the property the ummc occupies is no carry, smarter people than me can argue where that line really is.
as a juror i would look at the building, does it have classrooms, lecture halls, or housing?
is it a building full of clinics and offices for patient care and hospital admin?

if its the latter and the offices are run buy the college its no diff than a posted office building.

id bet they lower the felony charge and she pleads guilty and gets a fine and loses her permit.
View Quote
This is the part before that.

The opinion, written to the City of Corinth, outlines the following places where the Mississippi statutes authorize a person with an enhanced permit to carry regardless of signage posted
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:08:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
UMMC police said 59-year-old Debra McQuillen is charged with misdemeanor simple assault negligence and felony carry of a concealed weapon in a non public sensitive area.

Made up BS IMO, the last few places I posted in the OP is where we can't carry.

Whore house
Police station, federal building
Jail
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Been waiting for a test case. We won't hear anything else about it though, the local news only reprints press releases they have been given; no investigative work.

UMC has posted on every exterior door on every building "YOU ARE NOW ENTERING A NON-PUBLIC AREA" etc. etc.

At my enhanced carry class several years ago, a UMMC officer was in the class. This was before all the conflicting opinions came out; the enhanced thing just came out. He said in front of everyone that it didn't matter what the law said; you get caught carrying at UMC you will be arrested. You may get off, but you will be taken in.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I hope she can afford a competent attorney
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:47:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dozens of Dan Wessons and Ed Browns will be thrown to the concrete for testing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

MS is one of the few states with enhanced carry. That means we can carry on educational property.  Even if it's posted, as long as she has the enhanced permit all they can do is trespass her. If whatever gun she was carrying was being properly carried and a defect with the gun happened to allow it to discharge when dropped, then she probably will get out of whatever negligent crap they charged her with.

UMMC does not want guns on its campus. They put all those dumb signs and being a sensitive place because when we passed our enhanced laws, it opened the campus up to carry. The AG is the only statewide elected democrat in Mississippi and not very gun friendly. So he put out an opinion that based on Heller places could ban firearms if they were sensitive/non public places. What he failed to understand was that state law specifically allowed it and restricts where .gov can ban carry of a firearm. This will be a good test case for a variety of issues we don't have sorted out yet.
View Quote
cool
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
The radio just said it was a .22 derringer.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:16:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Another Glock NG. Glock perfection.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm curious about the stolen firearm charge. @NoloContendere

It it was stolen and she knew it, then that could be the felony that sticks. "knowingly" being the key word. Other crimes that are committed while in possession are another felony on top of that.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If they don't have any sort of drop safety, I'm sure they do, and a cheap ass .22 derringer doesn't strike me as the type of firearm to have any sort of safety.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm more interested if they can get the felony charge to stick.
View Quote
As with Clinton....there was no intent!  I don't see how they can make it stick.
Should just be chalked up as a unfortunate accident.  Happens in hunting situations all the time.

The only real gotcha, I think, is whether she had a license and was legal to carry in that location.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm just wondering why the person who got shot........ was taken to the hospital....... when they were already in the hospital......  
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Possible it went off if dropped, especially if it wasn't in a holster.

But more likely, it's like most cases of "the gun went off by itself" she was fiddling with the gun.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Possible it went off if dropped, especially if it wasn't in a holster.

But more likely, it's like most cases of "the gun went off by itself" she was fiddling with the gun.
View Quote
Being in a purse seems like it would increase the chances of a discharge from dropping, because women's purses have all sorts of crap in them that can get in the trigger guard area or otherwise cause relevant issues.  If the gun had no safety, the safety failed (possible with some designs; some mechanical safeties are very poorly thought out), or it got swiped/pressed by some other object in the purse, something could have gotten in the right place against the trigger and caused a discharge which might not have even happened if the gun was simply dropped by itself.

I really don't like carrying guns in bags that have a bunch of other crap in them.  It just seems unwise.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Lawsuit incoming against gun manufacturer, purse manufacturer, holster (if any) manufacturer. You name it, everyone's getting sued.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just a note, almost all of the guns that CA hoped to outlaw as being unsafe passed drop tests.  Ones that failed were usually higher quality higher cost.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ummc wants to protect their little fiefdom.
View Quote
Except if you read the FULL article, this is in there, too.

This opinion does not affect the rights of property owners or custodians as follows:

Private landowners may post signs or otherwise prevent carrying of onto weapons onto their private property.

State or local governmental entities may prohibit concealed carry by enhanced permit holders into areas posted with no weapons signage if the place is not one of the 13 enumerated places above.

Federal installations and buildings can prohibit the carrying of weapons regardless of these state statutes.

The opinion likewise points out that an enhanced permit holder who carries a weapon onto property in a place not listed in the 13 places above in violation of a posted sign could be charged for criminal trespass

If it was posted, she might be in big trouble.  What do the other applicable laws say? Do they make it a felony in certain circumstances?  Is it a wobbler  The fact that some one was injured to the point they needed hospitalization might kick it up from a misdemeanor to a felony.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If they don't have any sort of drop safety, I'm sure they do, and a cheap ass .22 derringer doesn't strike me as the type of firearm to have any sort of safety.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know the NAA mini revolvers do have a safety feature.   They have a notch in between each cylinder so your hammer can sit in between rounds so if dropped it isn't striking a live round.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

MS is one of the few states with enhanced carry. That means we can carry on educational property.  Even if it's posted, as long as she has the enhanced permit all they can do is trespass her. If whatever gun she was carrying was being properly carried and a defect with the gun happened to allow it to discharge when dropped, then she probably will get out of whatever negligent crap they charged her with.

UMMC does not want guns on its campus. They put all those dumb signs and being a sensitive place because when we passed our enhanced laws, it opened the campus up to carry. The AG is the only statewide elected democrat in Mississippi and not very gun friendly. So he put out an opinion that based on Heller places could ban firearms if they were sensitive/non public places. What he failed to understand was that state law specifically allowed it and restricts where .gov can ban carry of a firearm. This will be a good test case for a variety of issues we don't have sorted out yet.
View Quote
Going to be hard to argue that it was properly carried since it went bang, and also that she wasn't negligent in carrying an unsafe gun.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#38]
"Purse carry werks good! Duuuurrrrrrrr!" - some dumb fag
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not if carried properly.  At least mine has a little indent in between each chamber for the hammer to rest.
View Quote
Yea if it is one of those.    This reminds me of a lawsuit 10 or so years ago with one of them.    The person failed to read the instructions that mentioned this index spot for carrying and had a similar  nd.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm just wondering why the person who got shot........ was taken to the hospital....... when they were already in the hospital......  
View Quote
@woodfiend
The incident happened in a building mainly used for ophthalmology. The medical portions, and the ER,  are across the street in the center of the main complex.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I teach this law.  the AG completely ignored case law and misinterpreted Hellers sensitive place language. He did it on purpose to get around what Mississippi laws say. It's not a felony to carry where she was. Especially with an enhanced permit. At MOST it's a misdemeanor trespass. But not a gun crime.
View Quote
Have yo contacted your client yet

That's why I'm hoping this case can set some of that straight, BS charges!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Have yo contacted your client yet

That's why I'm hoping this case can set some of that straight, BS charges!
View Quote
I hope she has a lawyer with gun knowledge and not someone that the bail guy suggested.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#44]
other, earlier thread said gun was reported stolen? and she had it
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I hope she has a lawyer with gun knowledge and not someone that the bail guy suggested.
View Quote
I wish we knew an attorney in the area that specializes in that arena
I'm just saying that not all ambulance chasers are bad.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not my client yet.
View Quote
FIFY

We can reach out to pimp you to her attorney as a consultant, I wonder if she has any money?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:01:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No. Don't do that.
View Quote
Fine
I hope some public defender doesn't screw this up!
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Fine
I hope some public defender doesn't screw this up!
View Quote
That's a bingo.

The people in this building are typically the public defender type.

In one of the news pics you can see a big Kohler generator. Just finished piping that up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top