Which one?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blame the Jeep Cherokee.
Which one?
The first 1984 Unibody platform. That's what started it all.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blame the Jeep Cherokee.
Which one?
I'd also submit the Dodge Caravan, introduced the same year. Halfway between a station wagon and a van.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What's the low range reduction like in that thing?
View Quote
I honestly don't know, never used it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nice.

I like how they look like a snake about to strike.
View Quote
I think they look more like a dirty homeless bum about ready to get butt fucked by a crackhead.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Out of all of the options in this thread I'd probably pick a Hemi Durango.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
My daily driver

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a small/mid SUV next year with the intention of being able to tow a pop-up camper. I've got plenty of time to look around and decide... but yeah, it seems the most popular ones are smaller SUVs or crossovers. I kinda like crossovers, but I'd like the towing capacity and a few of the smaller SUV/crossovers I've looked at can only tow about 2000lb. That might not be enough.

We'll see, it's not a done deal, I don't NEED one, but one may be nice to have given a hobby I'm getting into, and the aforementioned towing capability.
View Quote
Get a Tesla Model X with the towing package.

Towing Package

Equip your Model X with a high strength steel tow bar and removable 2" hitch receiver, capable of towing up to 5,000 pounds on 20" wheels or 3,500 pounds on 22" wheels. Software actively monitors trailers sway and adjusts wheel braking as needed.
•Removable 2" hitch receiver
•7 pin trailer electronics harness
•Tow mode software package

P100D
Maximum Performance

100 kWh Battery with Performance All-Wheel Drive
289 miles range (EPA)
155 mph top speed
2.9 seconds 0-60 mph
1.4 seconds passing speed, 45-65 mph
Ludicrous Speed Upgrade and Smart Air Suspension Included
$150,000 with options
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/configurator/MODELX_20170427091442/2880/UI/ui_option_mx_tw01_medium.jpg

Towing Package

Equip your Model X with a high strength steel tow bar and removable 2" hitch receiver, capable of towing up to 5,000 pounds on 20" wheels or 3,500 pounds on 22" wheels. Software actively monitors trailers sway and adjusts wheel braking as needed.

P100D
Maximum Performance

289 miles range (EPA)
155 mph top speed
2.9 seconds 0-60 mph
$150,000 with options
View Quote
How far can you get with that towing 5000 Lbs?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think they look more like a dirty homeless bum about ready to get butt fucked by a crackhead.
View Quote
Somebody here said the front on the new model looks like a digital bass with Down's syndrome.

I think that sums it up perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Somebody here said the front on the new model looks like a digital bass with Down's syndrome.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A cybernetic largemouth bass with downs. That was my description.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Love my new crossover

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Grand Cherokee.  I just picked one up to replace an Xterra. No issues at all with the Xterra, just wanted something more modern.
View Quote
^^Grand Cherokee is the answer.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/configurator/MODELX_20170427091442/2880/UI/ui_option_mx_tw01_medium.jpg

Towing Package

P100D
Maximum Performance

289 miles range (EPA)
155 mph top speed
2.9 seconds 0-60 mph
$150,000 with options
I read where a guy towed a 5.000 boat and it cut the range by 60%, so a 100 miles or so assuming you don't have any mountains to go over.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The highlander was always a "crossover" unibody piece of shit.  That's what makes it not a 4Runner.  You can thank Obama and the ridiculous fuel efficiency targets that manufacturers are trying to meet.  Body on frame SUVs are going to become increasingly rare.
View Quote
Herp

But Why aren't they building excursions??

Derp
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep everybody knows XJs are worthless offroad

fAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
AWD SUV that will run a 12 second 1/4 and do four wheel burn outs.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34777/image-216717.JPG
View Quote
Does it have 4L?  Can it get over a rock?  If not, it is worthless.  Might as well just buy a car.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#17]
That was pathetic.  3 wheeling garbage.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I can't argue with that. Since 4 door pickups have become so common, if I wanted something more, I'd just buy a truck.

I got the tow package on the Explorer, but only because it was just a little more money. I don't actually have plans to use it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that's precisely why most of the old body on frame SUVs are history and crossovers and pickups rule the auto industry.

Nobody wants a vehicle that rides like a Conestoga wagon and sucks fuel at under 20 MPG when you're pretty much never going to leave pavement or tow anything.
I can't argue with that. Since 4 door pickups have become so common, if I wanted something more, I'd just buy a truck.

I got the tow package on the Explorer, but only because it was just a little more money. I don't actually have plans to use it.
Same reason why I got my Edge. Large enough to cart the wife and kids (and luggage) around, small enough for my wife to drive (she's 4'11"), and enough towing capacity to haul my bike and trailer if needed. If I need to get something large or bulky from Lowes or Home Depot, I can fold down the rear seats. If it is too long to fit in the cargo area with the rear seats folded down, the passenger seat folds flat for extra room.

I have no need for a 4WD Brodozer, and don't want to pay that much in gas just to go to WalMart and back.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#19]
The crossover is a better option for 99% of people, hence why it dominates.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Replaced a used '05 Xterra S with a brand new '13 Xterra Pro4X in 2014 (I suppose that wasn't a good sign for the Xterra). It's fantastic and gets me everywhere I want to go (often teetering on 2 diagonally opposed wheels). I use the low range and locking rear diff a lot, including to get me up my own driveway in the winter. I will drive it until it dies.

I'm still furious at Nissan for killing it when they have 87 million similarly sized crossovers in their lineup. I can't figure out what differentiates most of them from each other. When the X dies, I suppose I could replace it with a Frontier... but besides the longer wheelbase even on a nearly useless short bed for carrying longer stuff when I have more room with my backseat folded flat, I really just don't want to give Nissan any more of my money. I wish there were options out there besides Jeep and 4Runner. My parents have a 2014 4Runner, and I'm not a fan of how it drives. Plus Toyota tax and all. The Xterra was perfect for size, price, performance, and all around utility, and now it's unavailable.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Soon all SUVs will be crossovers, pickups will be like Ridgelines and vans will be like the little Nissan ones or the doofy looking Fiat/Chrysler FWD fullsize one (Ram Promaster IIRC).

F250-350 type fullsizes might still be available but they will cost $150,000 to offset the CAFE issues.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is  a good choice along with the Grand Cherokee TrailHawk Hemi

That is two very capable vehicles if you want to be realistic
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Replaced a used '05 Xterra S with a brand new '13 Xterra Pro4X in 2014 (I suppose that wasn't a good sign for the Xterra). It's fantastic and gets me everywhere I want to go (often teetering on 2 diagonally opposed wheels). I use the low range and locking rear diff a lot, including to get me up my own driveway in the winter. I will drive it until it dies.

I'm still furious at Nissan for killing it when they have 87 million similarly sized crossovers in their lineup. I can't figure out what differentiates most of them from each other. When the X dies, I suppose I could replace it with a Frontier... but besides the longer wheelbase even on a nearly useless short bed for carrying longer stuff when I have more room with my backseat folded flat, I really just don't want to give Nissan any more of my money. I wish there were options out there besides Jeep and 4Runner. My parents have a 2014 4Runner, and I'm not a fan of how it drives. Plus Toyota tax and all. The Xterra was perfect for size, price, performance, and all around utility, and now it's unavailable.
View Quote
XTerra legroom killed it for me
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
XTerra legroom killed it for me
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn satellite lag

But still like living in the sticks
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Does it have 4L?  Can it get over a rock?  If not, it is worthless.  Might as well just buy a car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and yes. Low range switch behind the gear selector.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#27]
4Runner is definitely what you seek.

Body on frame design and built in Japan.

Our first was a 2011. Traded it last year on a 2016.
Absolutely love it and will always own one as long as they don't turn crossover-ish.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#28]
This is why we keep the 99 Explorer running. V8 and AWD and has been put through the wringer but still trucks long. Definitely got my monies worth out of it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Mine too....'17 triple black RT. 100% happy with it.....
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I sold my fj after 10 years and got an outback

Gets me to work
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Rock-climbing is an American niche sport, and probably one of the reasons we don't get some of the more interesting actual off road vehicles here.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Herp

Derp
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The highlander was always a "crossover" unibody piece of shit.  That's what makes it not a 4Runner.  You can thank Obama and the ridiculous fuel efficiency targets that manufacturers are trying to meet.  Body on frame SUVs are going to become increasingly rare.
Herp

Derp
What are you yammering about?  I fail to see a rebuttal in that garbage you spewed on the page.  Yes, Ford makes one body on frame SUV, exactly one.  Seems pretty fucking rare to me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I sold my fj after 10 years and got an outback

Gets me to work
View Quote
But it won't get you here

or here

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This is your answer. The Xterra was also the only option in the segment where you could get the top off-road package brand new out the door for ~30k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. It's more truck than I need. Family is shrinking and I don't need the passenger or cargo room that it provides. But I might have to go there. because everything else is apparently turning into a FUCKING CROSSOVER. SHIT.
Find a final year Xterra then.
This is your answer. The Xterra was also the only option in the segment where you could get the top off-road package brand new out the door for ~30k.
I traded my 07 X for a 15 when I learned that they were being discontinued.  I'm hoping that I won't have to worry about replacing it in this decade.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:45:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Rock-climbing is an American niche sport, and probably one of the reasons we don't get some of the more interesting actual off road vehicles here.
View Quote
Yeah.  Perspectives are a little different too.  I think most people in the city would think just driving around on my property is "rock crawling."  When I think rock crawling, I think dedicated tube framed monsters.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:55:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34777/IMG-5934-217236.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34777/IMG-5934-217236.JPG
I don't see that it even has 4wd let alone 4wL.  The ground clearance is no more than a minivan.  It would be hard to even drive that up my driveway without destroying it, let alone take it to my hunting areas.  Good for cruising the suburbs.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:26:22 AM EDT
[#37]
I love those things. I'm going to get a Touring as soon as the 2018s come out.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:27:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Towing Package

P100D
Maximum Performance

289 miles range (EPA)
155 mph top speed
2.9 seconds 0-60 mph
$150,000 with options
View Quote
I have a Volt right now, so I already do electric. A Model X would be nice, but first is way too damn expensive.... and might be a bit limited if I want to get "away from the beaten path". Or more like "away from the Supercharging network!"

My plan is to keep my Volt for daily driving because it's STOOOOPID cheap to operate, then pick up a used small or small-ish SUV to tow shit with. I'm considering a used Cayenne, possibly a Touareg (since the Cayenne IS a Touareg) or something like a 4Runner... I dunno. It'll probably be a year from now before I pull the trigger.

Maybe after I get a decent second vehicle, I'll trade the Volt on something pure electric. We'll see.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 2:49:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#41]
What is a crossover?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What is a crossover?
View Quote
Minivan/station wagon dressed up to look like an SUV.

Typically:

Unibody
IFS/IRS
Transverse/fwd biased engine arrangement
No actual transfer case with low range
Very little ground clearance, if it has any its due to gimmicky shit like airbag suspension
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#43]
I love the arf.com absolutes.
SUV, if it can't climb up the sheer face of a mountain, it's worthless.
Trucks, if they're not diesel powered and they don't have the pulling power of 2 diesel locomotives chained together, they're worthless.

Some of you people have cornered the market on ridiculous.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Typically:

Unibody
IFS/IRS
Very little ground clearance, if it has any its due to gimmicky shit like airbag suspension
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is a crossover?

Typically:

Unibody
IFS/IRS
Thanks

Know what you mean now.  Wasn't a phrase I have come across over here yet.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What is a crossover?
View Quote
A passenger car with all wheel drive that has tall body panels to emulate the look of an SUV without the ruggedness or capability. Designed to appeal to suburban moms who will never go off road but don't want the stigma of driving a minivan or wagon.

Compare a Land Rover Defender series to a Volvo XC90 and there you have it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The xj wasn't the same platform as the GC.  The current GC is a unibody, IFS/IRS, 4" of ground clearance, car.  The base model doesn't even have low range, although some models do.  It's a pathetic POS like every single jeep these days but the two door wrangler.
View Quote
LOL, closer to 9" that 4" and just a teensey bit more that a Wrangler.  But go ahead and throw that out there. I love the old school too, but let's be honest: the new high-tech, electronically controlled, always on AWD system is more capable than an XJ in 90% of real-word situations, and doesn't exactly fail in the other 10%.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I saw a 2017 Yukon XL SLT today.  It was purty...  Looked just like this.
All of the Yukons and Burbs look like hearses.

http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/117045607.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
and drop a tranny at 70,000 miles....
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Got one of the newer explorers and like it 
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top