Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Ummm the highlander has always been a crossover and are very similar in size to the 4Runner now.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And that's precisely why most of the old body on frame SUVs are history and crossovers and pickups rule the auto industry.

Nobody wants a vehicle that rides like a Conestoga wagon and sucks fuel at under 20 MPG when you're pretty much never going to leave pavement or tow anything.
View Quote
I can't argue with that. Since 4 door pickups have become so common, if I wanted something more, I'd just buy a truck.

I got the tow package on the Explorer, but only because it was just a little more money. I don't actually have plans to use it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
4Runner is the only way to go.
View Quote
As long as you aren't tall.  I'm 6'3" and my head is right at the ceiling.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:34:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate crossovers
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had a 2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara that was sort of the last of these smaller, true SUV's....great little truck. Absolute beast in the snow and had decent hauling capabilities and a good AWD system. They were really affordable, too. Mine was under $20k, new.

http://www.rocky-road.com/media/peru_gv.JPG

Then, Suzuki pulls out of the US...so I'm in the same boat, looking at too-expensive, too big options or fucking cars that sit up high.

Fuck the car market, I fucking hate what it's become.
View Quote
I have a 2005 XL-7 that I was thinking about trading but anything within reason would be trading down.
Screw it. I'll just drive it until it becomes too much of a PITA to keep.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had a 2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara that was sort of the last of these smaller, true SUV's....great little truck. Absolute beast in the snow and had decent hauling capabilities and a good AWD system. They were really affordable, too. Mine was under $20k, new.

http://www.rocky-road.com/media/peru_gv.JPG

Then, Suzuki pulls out of the US...so I'm in the same boat, looking at too-expensive, too big options or fucking cars that sit up high.

Fuck the car market, I fucking hate what it's become.
View Quote
I traded my still-good 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara for a 2015 Jeep Patriot. Wife's idea. Patriot is a damn crossover, actually. I want a 4-door Sahara. At least its a true 4WD.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
F3PNI

I'm in my second 4Runner. 2000 & 2008. This one is almost paid off.

Can't really think of anything else I'd like except full size, maybe.

I have noticed that the highlander does seem to be getting bigger, just like every other Toyota product.

I'd like to have one of the old small pick-ups but they aren't made/imported anymore.
View Quote
Holy shit you are in a 2k8 that is not paid off ? You should have stuck with the 2k model.....
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cmon OP....the pathfinder screams rugged off road durability
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/134638/IMG-0495-216589.JPG
View Quote
I just had to go to the website because didn't believe it.

What the fuck.

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Is that a Subaru Outback?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#11]
CAFE bullshit and gov regulations did it. They have to sell weenie cars now to meet the fleet fuel economy standards.

http://www.businessfleet.com/news/story/2017/01/carbon-pollution-standards-remain-unchanged-through-2025.aspx
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tahoe/Yukon
View Quote
Or Silverado Crew.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#13]
It is 27 years old:

But it is mine (and paid for).

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You have a freakishly long torso then. I'm 6'4" and have a couple inches of headroom in my 2017 Runner.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken, the 4runner and Tacoma got an updated engine a year or so ago.
View Quote
No kidding. I thought the 4Runner engine was over 10 years old. Not that it's a bad engine, probably more reliable than anything I looked at. I like my twin turbo though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
CAFE bullshit and gov regulations did it. They have to sell weenie cars now to meet the fleet fuel economy standards.

http://www.businessfleet.com/news/story/2017/01/carbon-pollution-standards-remain-unchanged-through-2025.aspx
View Quote
If that was true, the Ford F-Series wouldn't be the best selling vehicle on our roads.

The free market is why crossovers are thriving and BOF SUVs are mostly gone.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Definitely some like souls here.

In realistic pricing, I think the Wrangler and 4Runner are pretty much your options for a true body on SUV.
Other real ones like the XTerra and FJ Cruiser have gone away or like the Pathfinder have been downgraded and keep the name.

There are a few unibody SUVs with true low 4WD available like the Grand Cherokee.

And some other unibody SUVs that have pretty sophisticated AWD systems like the MDX.

But the fuk ton of Car-UVs is disgusting.  

And I am sick of the styling.
Decent stuff like rear doors and rear mounted spares get replaced by hatch backs.  Thanks soccer moms and teenage girls.
Slightly boxy, rugged looks get gayified into the crap you have now.
LR4s get replaced by discovery sports.  Crv s and rav4s loose their spares and doors.

Vehicles with good potential like the Toyota Prado get brought here as a Lexus with some retarted front end grille nobody likes.

It happens elsewhere to.  Look what a Nissan patrol used to look like compared to now.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You DO understand that you just articulated exactly why the market is going all crossover, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. It's more truck than I need. Family is shrinking and I don't need the passenger or cargo room that it provides. But I might have to go there. because everything else is apparently turning into a FUCKING CROSSOVER. SHIT.
You DO understand that you just articulated exactly why the market is going all crossover, right?
Oh yes, I see the contradiction in my statement. In a way, it's my point.

When I was younger, and I needed a big truck to haul around a wife and 4 kids when we went on road trips, I bought a truck that could do that. The Suburban was that truck. Yukon/Tahoe size wouldn't have cut it. All the seating, with less cargo room, and not much price difference. Had to be the Suburban. And as the kids got older, and the truck got older, I replaced it with another Suburban.  

And so it went.

Then, kids started moving out. And my Suburban got traded in for something smaller. But it still had to look like a truck.

The Pathfinder was that truck. It looks like a truck. It drives like a truck. And if you think the looks of a vehicle doesn't figure into why someone buys a vehicle, well, you're just plain foolish.

Now, I will drive my wife's RAV4 when we take it on trips. But I don't enjoy. Why? Because there is not a single fucking spot on the damned door too rest your left elbow while you're steering. And the there's the fact that it's a DAMNED CROSSOVER.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just bought this. It isn't a crossover, but it isn't a brodozer either.

They tried to talk us into an Edge.

[url]http://build.ford.com/dig/Ford/Explorer/2017/HD-FULL/Image[|Ford|Explorer|2017|1|1.|202A.K8D..N1..88B.64C.LEA.99H.AWD.XLT.89W.]/EXT/1/vehicle.png[/url]
View Quote
Yeah, that's a crossover. Hate to break it to you buddy... Front wheel drive, sideways engine, fugly bulbous design... Checks all the boxes.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

In realistic pricing, I think the Wrangler and 4Runner are pretty much your options for a true body on SUV.
Other real ones like the XTerra and FJ Cruiser have gone away or like the Pathfinder have been downgraded and keep the name.

There are a few unibody SUVs with true low 4WD available like the Grand Cherokee.

And some other unibody SUVs that have pretty sophisticated AWD systems like the MDX.

But the fuk ton of Car-UVs is disgusting.  

And I am sick of the styling.
Decent stuff like rear doors and rear mounted spares get replaced by hatch backs.  Thanks soccer moms and teenage girls.
Slightly boxy, rugged looks get gayified into the crap you have now.
LR4s get replaced by discovery sports.  Crv s and rav4s loose their spares and doors.

Vehicles with good potential like the Toyota Prado get brought here as a Lexus with some retarted front end grille nobody likes.

It happens elsewhere to.  Look what a Nissan patrol used to look like compared to now.
View Quote
Funny you mention the Patrol, the world market patrol finally got pussified enough for Nissan to bring it to the US as the Armada.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's a crossover. Hate to break it to you buddy... Front wheel drive, sideways engine, fugly bulbous design... Checks all the boxes.
View Quote
I like the looks and it's 4WD.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:00:07 PM EDT
[#22]
As gas economy standards tighten up it's only going to get worse
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:00:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Disagree on the design. I think the Explorer is one of the best-looking SUVs out right now. As much as I love the 4Runner's function and reliability...the front end looks downright weird.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:01:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nobody wants a vehicle that rides like a Conestoga wagon and sucks fuel at under 20 MPG when you're pretty much never going to leave pavement or tow anything.
View Quote
But the people who DO want something to leave the pavement with have fewer and fewer options
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
     There's other choices         Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A crossover is an SUV built on a unibody car platform.
View Quote
So is a XJ Cherokee a crossover?  It is unibody.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A crossover is an SUV built on a unibody car platform.
No, longitudinally mounted engine, solid front and rear axles, real transfer case.  Other than the unibody it's as much SUV as any.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If I'm not mistaken, the 4runner and Tacoma got an updated engine a year or so ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just picked up a 17 Sport. I prefer body-on-frame but these are perfect for two kids and my work gear. Pretty damn quick too...

ETA: These are crossovers. If the 4Runner had an updated engine, it would've been a tougher choice.
Taco did, 4Runner still has the 1GR. There is an elusive third party supercharger for the 4R (courtesy of Underdog Racing), but it may never hit the street. TRD scrapped the s/c for the 4R after too many failed 100-hour stress tests. Kept deforming bearings or something..

ETA: The engine in the current 4R is unique to the 5th gen (2010+). While the Taco and FJ also had the 1GR, the 4R's is dual vvt-i, as opposed to the regular vvt-i of the FJ and Taco. This is why a direct s/c swap between the three platforms was not possible, to my knowledge.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
...As much as I love the 4Runner's function and reliability...the front end looks downright weird.
View Quote
That's why 5.0 gen (2010-2013) is the GOAT:

And 5.1 gen (2014-2017) facelift is for shuttling kids to the math tutor and hot yoga at noon:

Luckily, you can convert it back.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You have a freakishly long torso then. I'm 6'4" and have a couple inches of headroom in my 2017 Runner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm 6'2 and my hair brushes the ceiling if I don't keep it short. I don't gangster-lean my seat, either, though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll be going the Jeep Cherokee route soon.

Most people driving mini vans seem to really just suck at driving. THink they get a van so they feel they have an excuse to drive the way they do.

But SUV's are common now just so the people that need minivans don't have to drive mini vans.

Hence all these 4 cylinder mini SUVs. That, and Asians getting more into the 'SUV' offerings. They clearly don't get the point of an SUV, especially with their competition to try to put the smallest engine in them.

What's the point if you can't tow anything at all? Or can't sleep comfortably in the back with the seat folded down? Or haul on the roof?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Id rather have the 1GR. I had one, it'll crawl. The new guy has to see higher RPM to make power. But hell, my project has a rebuilt 3.0 in it.
View Quote
The new one being that Atkins-cycle junk they put in the new Taco?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

There's other choices         https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/14291/GX460-Mud-216672.JPG
View Quote
Great job proving the OP's point.

2017 Land Cruiser
What you asked for (and available in Australia mate):

What you got:

fuckin horseshit
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There's other choices         https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/14291/GX460-Mud-216672.JPG
View Quote
And that would be a fantastic option as a 40k, realistically priced Toyota Prado.

But they brought it to the US as a
I was going to buy my wife one, in 55k Lexus trim just a week or two ago.

i could have convinced her a few years ago, but that new grille was a deal breaker.
When we went to look.
And the land cruiser was too big for what she wanted.  She has drifted bigger to smaller.
I have stayed about same sizes.

She went Acura again.

I have done 5th Gen US Hilux AWD, 4Runner, XTerra, Grand Cherokee.
She has done Expedition, ExPedition, MDX, RDX.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:36:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Some of it is that they are neither mid-sized, nor trucks anymore.

Giant, overstuffed, bloated bags of safety equipment and creature comforts designed to take little Johnny and his 87 lbs of helicopter parent accoutrements back and forth to no-score soccer practice.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:37:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
But the people who DO want something to leave the pavement with have fewer and fewer options
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Supply has been adjusted to demand.

Of all the people who want to go off-roading and are willing to put their money where their mouths are to do it, how many...

1) Choose to do so in a brand new vehicle

And...

2) Don't want a pickup truck.

And...

3) Want to do something that can't be done in a Subaru.

Suddenly, we're looking at a very niche market. Vehicles like the Subaru Forester are actually pretty capable vehicles. If I as a guy of average financial means wanted to go somewhere that a Forester (or the F-150 I actually drive) can't safely go, I'm not going to buy a $35k+ 4x4 SUV to do it. I'd drive some beater Craigslist project vehicle, a SxS, a quad, or a pair of boots and a ruck.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I was a Ford man, but I switched to the 4Runner mafia for that exact reason.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
The driver's seat is height adjustable
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:42:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

How you feel about looks doesn't keep it from being a crossover.
View Quote
Sure, didn't say it did. I don't have any fixation on whether a vehicle is or isn't a "crossover". I'm a function over form guy. I'd get the 4Runner with its Japanese-robot grill if I were still venturing into remote places. Given that I drive a lot for work now, I enjoy the turbos more.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:46:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

2017 Land Cruiser
http://www.northpointtoyota.com.au/-/toyota/lib/Images/images_1600/ToyotaLC70Tray.jpg

What you got:
http://cdn.24.co.za/files/Cms/General/d/1437/7e8fbc7108e840f89fee3782d59c5a78.jpg

fuckin horseshit
View Quote
Eh, its what the market entails. I don't like  it, sounds like you dont like it. Buy something older and keep it.

Attachment Attached File

Should have kept this but once your over 300k probably better to offfload. The new GX is fine though - I keep shit in good shape a long time.

Attachment Attached File

But yea running these when I spend time in the Eastern Cape, I dig. They have their uses - just not for what most Americans need.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:51:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

2017 Land Cruiser
http://www.northpointtoyota.com.au/-/toyota/lib/Images/images_1600/ToyotaLC70Tray.jpg

What you got:
http://cdn.24.co.za/files/Cms/General/d/1437/7e8fbc7108e840f89fee3782d59c5a78.jpg

fuckin horseshit
View Quote
How does that prove the OP's point? The LC 200 is no more a crossover than the 70. It's just styled differently.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#47]
4Runner owner here. I really like it, I went with a limited since it has a much better grill and some other niceties I wanted.

Previous was an an 03 Pilot. It was a crossover but a decent enough one. Had a lot of room, drove well, and did ok in the snow. Not great off road but handled but I got by with it. Very reliable, kept it for 13 years and sold it to my Dad. He drove it cross country and back and it did fine, not bad for a 13 year old crossover.

I too liked the older style Pathfinder. My neighbor bought one of the new ones and many that is a fugly piece of crap.  Also, the new Pilots look like they got squished in the same easter egg mold as the new Pathfinder.

Someong needs to bring the International Scout back. My 74 Scout II was my first SUV love and I still miss it all the time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:57:37 PM EDT
[#48]
AWD SUV that will run a 12 second 1/4 and do four wheel burn outs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

How does that prove the OP's point? The LC 200 is no more a crossover than the 70. It's just styled differently.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/450793/20170519-4517-216713.JPG
View Quote
Forget it he's rolling.

Add in the GX, some Rovers, theres more choices. Better choices in most cases, but admittedly fewer than before.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top