Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:06:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Just pass on the right.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Best to be in the far left lane to run radar at oncoming traffic. Being in the left lane also makes it easier to U-turn. Also, if suddenly needing to activate lights and siren, getting around traffic goes much smoother if starting in the left lane.
View Quote
The highway he's talking about is completely partitioned for about 15-20 miles.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Got up early one Sunday to drive from upstate NY back down to Bragg. Got on the road around 0530 and hit the NJ turnpike around 0600. I immediately saw an unmarked car in the left lane going exactly 55...3 antennas, search light, black with steel rims, etc... I followed the "cop" for 170 miles at 55 mph until I passed him in Delaware.  Turned out it wasn't a cop but some old man playing cop car dress up. He probably save me from a ticket though
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Meh...not a big deal. The vast majority of the time they are going faster than the regular flow of traffic. If they are going the speed limit I will pass them as I usually drive a little faster than the limit. Never been stopped for doing that.  They teach in the academy to not impede traffic flow and stated even exit the Hwy occasionally to let traffic go.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#6]
So he's doing the speed limit and somehow he is in the wrong because he isn't going fast enough ?

If he was going over the speed limit you would be bitching that he was speeding.
"That prick cop blew me off the road doing 10mph over the limit he should be fired"
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You saw a cop doing the speed limit?
View Quote
and not on a cell phone?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:07:02 AM EDT
[#9]
What's all this speed limit horse hockey?

The correct term is suggested speed.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is it a fast lane or passing lane?
View Quote
Its the passing lane. And, its the speed LIMIT.

And yes, I have passed them before. And yes, it is a roll of the dice, since it is a losing battle to have as your primary defense "I was breaking the speed limit when I passed the police officer, but he was blocking me from going faster, so I had to go around".
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:10:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

but the left lane camper laws do not give yo the right to speed but to give you the opportunity to pass without speeding.

Traffic is moving at 55mph in a 65 mph

you use  a passing lane to go past the 55mph traffic but not over 65mph.

View Quote
That's how the law is written. It is not a "fast lane" for that reason.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Its the passing lane. And, its the speed LIMIT.
View Quote
No, they just found it easier to fit the word limit on the sign.  It's a speed suggestion.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I just realized it was a trick question OP is doing .5 over the speed limit should I do a citizen arrest?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This, I rarely ever see a cop in an official car not speeding.
View Quote
Cop was trolling. Do not pass GO or he collects $200.

I tend to try and not poke the bear while he is alert...
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:06:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Do you feel, lucky?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#16]
The last time I checked, the legal speed limit is the same for all lanes. Left lane ragers are ridiculous and usually don't use the left lane for passing, but for their personal express way. What gets funny is when one left lane rager isn't going fast enough for another left lane rager.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Cops are under a microscope,.. there are always folk who will call in for the most minor infractions.

Maybe that one cop is the cool one who really doesn't give out tickets unless something is actually unsafe and dangerous?  Or maybe he is a douchebag who actually believes the demonstrable BS like "speed kills"?   No way to know since their motivation is more than likely going to be "stay out of trouble",... same as most folk.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, I always told my trainees to go 5 mph faster than traffic.  Wasting the public's time is annoying as heck to folks just trying to get to work, etc.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Okay, I never laid out my "strategy" or any details of the stop. You are the one being argumentative and "cherry" picking what I said. Hiring an attorney or self representing, is still bringing it in front of a judge.

In summary. Passed cop with cruise on in the middle lane. He pulls me over and gets pissed because I don't answer his questions. I give him my license, insurance, registration, and a medical card for Aspergers (emergency contact, with basic summary). He goes back to his car, puts his spot light on my mirror blinding me. Comes back up yelling with his flashlight, asking questions and wanting to search. I ask for another officer, he refused. So I asked for my ticket and court date. He went back to his car, gave me a ticket for not wearing my seat belt (I was)... I recorded the stop on my blackberry back then and gave the video to a lawyer. Never made it to court, as it was dismissed.
View Quote
This will answer 50 % of all cophater threads.

Potheads, drunks who drive and chronic speeders most of the rest.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What a travesty!  A cop following the law. Of course if he were speeding then people would be pissed about that.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
View Quote
THIS^^  Doing the speed limit?  Asshole!   Speeding? Special Snowflake.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd be happy doing 65. There's one road within 45 minutes that I can do 50 on, everything else is 40.

I'll give NY some credit, feels like a race track when I drive over there, roads that are 55 there would be 40 here. Seems backwards
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Hate left lane campers. 

I did beep at an LEO for stopping and chugging his big gulp at a yield sign last week.  He was not very happy at all. Veins popping out of the forehead, red faced, slushy starting to foam out of his mouth. I then proceeded to pass him which  made him so mad he had to tailgate me for the next half a mile. 
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Aren't cops trained to use only the left lane?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This will answer 50 % of all cophater threads.

Potheads, drunks who drive and chronic speeders most of the rest.
View Quote
Not sure your point and I don't do drugs or drink I don't dislike cops and most I encountered have been professional. I only had a few encounters that I would call scary... I keep a medical card and give it them, out of advice I received when I younger. I tend to go for walks late at night when I can't sleep and I have a bad tenancy to talk with my self while flapping my hands, I been stopped because of it. I rather them understand, even if I can't communicate it. Better then them assuming I am on drugs. Most are professional about it and have been courteous.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top