Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

and what do you think the judge would do?
View Quote
Tell his nephew "good job"...
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#2]
passing on the right is against the law here, so id pass him on the right, but keep going in the middle lane then switch over .25 miles down, so its not a "pass" just flowing with traffic.

ive passed cops in my work van (company lettered) going 80, passing the cop on the right just as this scenario.  havent gotten pulled over yet.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Okay, I never laid out my "strategy" or any details of the stop. You are the one being argumentative and "cherry" picking what I said. Hiring an attorney or self representing, is still bringing it in front of a judge.

In summary. Passed cop with cruise on in the middle lane. He pulls me over and gets pissed because I don't answer his questions. I give him my license, insurance, registration, and a medical card for Aspergers (emergency contact, with basic summary). He goes back to his car, puts his spot light on my mirror blinding me. Comes back up yelling with his flashlight, asking questions and wanting to search. I ask for another officer, he refused. So I asked for my ticket and court date. He went back to his car, gave me a ticket for not wearing my seat belt (I was)... I recorded the stop on my blackberry back then and gave the video to a lawyer. Never made it to court, as it was dismissed.
View Quote
Your rant has nothing to do with this situation.  

You are being this guy. We all know this guy.

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Your rant has nothing to do with this situation.  

You are being this guy. We all know this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi6tshsXVUk
View Quote
Either way you and I are not going to agree on anything. So we can just agree, to disagree.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I have passed them in the right lane when traffic was clear and they still didn't move over.  Never pulled over.

I was riding with my cousin who came up behind a cop creeping in the left lane and flashed his high beams at him.  Cop moved over and let him by without stopping him.  He said he flashed him out of instinct and didn't even realize it was a trooper.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You saw a cop doing the speed limit?
View Quote
No shit, damned if we do, damned if we don't.

J-
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yea. 

Fuck left lane campers. 
View Quote
So what happens when the other person says "fuck speeders"?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Cop, I'll live with it.  Big rig doing 65.1 taking 50 miles to pass another rig doing 65 and I'm on the phone:
*GSP
*FHP
*HP (Alabama)
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Scenario three lanes of traffic moving west bound on a 6 lane highway/freeway.

Speed limit is 65 MPH

Medium traffic.

LEO is left lane camping doing 65.5MPH

Does this make you mad?

Updated scenario traffic in the other two lanes are doing 55mph to 60 mph

Leo is doing a steady 65 mph and passing traffic in the other two lanes.
View Quote
So he's passing traffic....techically he is passing slower traffic so he's got that going for him.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm probably in the right lane doing the speed limit, unless I see an exit coming up
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#11]
If not a trooper, I'll pass at 72mph, and continue on my way.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Holy crap.  They are using the police cars from Demolition Man.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Considering we have left lane camper laws in my jurisdiction, yes, it would make me mad to see a cop breaking the law.

If everyone could just "keep right except to pass" every highway would flow better
View Quote
In GA, and I'm sure the same in other states, LEOs can text and drive.
The lowly serfs get to pay a tithe to the govt coffers though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just showing no one is above the law.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Mehhhh....pick a fight with another motorist ....shouldn't be that hard just look around....preferably one that can't take you to jail
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What a travesty!  A cop following the law. Of course if he were speeding then people would be pissed about that.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I see cops cruising at 55 mph in the hammer lane all of the time.  And no one wants to pass them.
View Quote
Depending on where you live passing them even if you're doing the speed limit can be content of cop and will get you pulled over while he fishes and harasses you.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Speed limit is 65 MPH

Medium traffic.

Does this make you mad?

View Quote

Why would a police vehicle going the speed limit make you mad?  
The left lane isn't the designated "I want to speed lane"; it's for people wanting to pass people going under the designated speed limit.
It's not designed for people who break the law because they feel like they can speed there and they have the right to be a dickbag because
somebody in that lane is going the speed limit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:28:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Happens all the time in Nashville, as Metro's finest have all the crimes solved. I hear they're working in shifts.

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#21]
This is why cops in marked units should use the HOV lanes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#22]
THIS is what GD worries about...???
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#23]
These left lane threads are the best. Is the speed limit the same for all lanes? Does the speed limit increase for the left lane and the left lane only in areas marked "keep right except when passing" ? Ive never seen any signage suggesting the speed limit increases the farther to the left you go. What about "slower traffic keep right"? What do they mean by that? And that doesn't mean me, does it? How slow can you go and not keep right? If I feel like doing the hypothetical speed limit, I won't even get on the freeway. It just seems too dicey. Is that fast enough? If I want to do around ten over I'll venture on but only in the far right lane. Ten to twenty over and I might kinda ease over to the center lane if no one's really watching or seems to mind. The left lane? I don't even know why they have it. I'm pretty much told to just stay out of it one way or another. If want to go fast, say 97, someone will see me and want to go faster. Yet they get behind me to do so? I just call it "the 'tard lane" and stay out of it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I go around. So long as I'm not burning it around him, I'm fine. I don't know cops that pull people over for doing 5ish over.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a 7 mile an hour rule that has never failed me. Would pass.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
CHP tends to dawdle around in the two right lanes doing 55mph (we have a split speed limit for trucks).

This typically creates a massive bottleneck as everybody slows down to stay behind the cop.

When they finally stop a truck or exit the freeway my commentary is typically "Pace car is pulling off the track and we are back to green flag racing again"
View Quote
This is such a common phenomenon that I have seen Police take an exit ramp where convenient and get right back on the Highway lol.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I pass cops all the time at over the speed limit.

I don't think they really care.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Does this make you mad?
View Quote
Meh, no.

Not particularly happy because it makes me slow down from my standard 10 over, but sometimes that's just the way it goes.

Couple years back I was headed west on 70 in Missouri, think I was on the other side of Columbia.  Running 10 over with the rest of traffic.  Came up on a state trooper just as the car he had pulled over was getting back on the highway.  Everyone pulled over into the left lane and cut their speed back to the limit.  Just my luck trooper gets back on even with me.  No big deal, set the cruise, move back over to the right lane behind him.  My trip is gonna take a little longer now but maybe he'll get off at the next exit.  He proceeds to drive like some asshole talking on their phone, speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down.  I wouldn't care except he would slow down 5-7mph below the limit and I'd end up turning off the cruise and slowing down, then he'd speed up again.  Finally I just said fuck it and the next time he slowed down I left the cruise on, signalled, pulled into the left lane, and motored on.  Of course he pulled me over.  Between watching the speedometer and the GPS, I didn't go a hair over the limit.  I pulled as far to the right as I could.  He came up on the passenger side and I lowered the window a couple inches, about nose level on him.  He was not very tall & his hat looked comically large on him.  He asked for my license/insurance and then proceeded to go into a couple minute long tirade about people speeding on his highway and thinking they could pass cops.  I didn't know what to think so I just sat there staring at him spittle all over my window.  When he got done I handed him my license/insurance and he went back to his car.  10 minutes or so he brought my stuff back and told me to slow it down and drive safe.  No ticket.  I pulled back on the highway and set the cruise back to the speed limit.  Watched him get off at the next exit and kicked up the cruise to 15 over to make up for lost time.  Guess I just caught him on a bad day.  Or possibly he was just fishing for a reaction, who knows?

I found out, the hard way, many years ago that arguing with a cop on the side of the road will end in one of 2 ways.  Either I get to take a ride with him or I get more tickets than I was gonna get.  Neither are acceptable endings in my mind.  That mindset has gotten me out of all kinds of stuff.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#29]
If he's passing cars, I'm fine with it. That's not really camping. 
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I hate when I can't break the law because the cops are around.  Fucking pigs, always stepping on our rights.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#31]
OP- try a pit maneuver. Get back to us when you can.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Reading comprehension fail. He was going .5 MPH over the speed limit. OP should have executed a citizen's arrest.

Some animals are more equal than others...
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#33]
On the other end of the spectrum, this cop is a hero:

Cop trolls slowpoke driver in the fast lane - funny!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#34]
I once saw three State Police cruisers, on a busy three lane highway at rush hour, rolling along exactly lined up side by side, doing exactly the speed limit.

Huge bottleneck of cars backed up behind them.

I guess they were trying to prove a point, I don't know.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I once saw three State Police cruisers, on a busy three lane highway at rush hour, rolling along exactly lined up side by side, doing exactly the speed limit.

View Quote
Stridently following the law actually fucks up traffic, which doesn't bode well for the actual law. 

If the point they were trying to prove was that blindly following a really dumb law like a bunch of lemmings results in fucked up traffic, I'd say they did a fine job. 
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So what happens when the other person says "fuck speeders"?
View Quote
Let them. As long as they get out the way. 
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#37]
"Hogging" the left lane?

Pit maneuver.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:46:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The left lane isn't the designated "I want to speed lane"; it's for people wanting to pass people going under the designated speed limit.
It's not designed for people who break the law because they feel like they can speed there and they have the right to be a dickbag because
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed limit is 65 MPH

Medium traffic.

Does this make you mad?

Your whole post makes my point
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:47:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If he's passing cars, I'm fine with it. That's not really camping. 
View Quote
BuBut non cop does it people get all crazy
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This is such a common phenomenon that I have seen Police take an exit ramp where convenient and get right back on the Highway lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CHP tends to dawdle around in the two right lanes doing 55mph (we have a split speed limit for trucks).

This typically creates a massive bottleneck as everybody slows down to stay behind the cop.

When they finally stop a truck or exit the freeway my commentary is typically "Pace car is pulling off the track and we are back to green flag racing again"
I have seen that too. Have watched people go from 55 to 100+ as quick as they could after the cop exits and watched the same cop jump back on the freeway, blow by me like I am standing still and haul that person over.

That is why I try to be the second fastest driver on the freeway. No matter how fast I am going there is usually some guy (typically in an Audi, BMW or Mercedes) that wants to go 5mph faster then me. I happily give them the hammer lane and let them slowly pull away from me.

99.9999999% of the time this works, sometimes it is just your turn to get stopped and pay your share of the go fast tax. Last ticket I got (about 6 years ago) I was mid pack in a group of fast movers and I got singled out. Eh, shit happens.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 12:59:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Rolling roadblock. Usually to slow traffic for a reason like coming up to a big accident etc.

J-
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:06:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Speed limit is 65 MPH

Medium traffic.

Does this make you mad?

View Quote
APD did that all. the. time.

So you pop in behind and follow them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:16:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed limit is 65 MPH

Medium traffic.

Does this make you mad?

Why do you think I posted this?

It hall Ned to me the other day.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:19:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Speed limit is 65 MPH

Medium traffic.

Does this make you mad?

View Quote

He's not camping. He's driving. He doesn't have to move out of your way so you can speed.

I hear so much about some animals being more equal than others. Now, you're mad because he's abiding by the law?
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:25:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That's not necessarily true, depending on the jurisdiction and its laws.  For example, the Revised Code of Washington, § 46.61.100, Keep right except when passing, etc., says:

(2) Upon all roadways having two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, all vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, except (a) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (b) when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow, (c) when moving left to allow traffic to merge, or (d) when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when such left turn is legally permitted. On any such roadway, a vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds shall be driven only in the right-hand lane except under the conditions enumerated in (a) through (d) of this subsection.

(4) It is a traffic infraction to drive continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway when it impedes the flow of other traffic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a travesty!  A cop following the law.
That's not necessarily true, depending on the jurisdiction and its laws.  For example, the Revised Code of Washington, § 46.61.100, Keep right except when passing, etc., says:

(2) Upon all roadways having two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, all vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, except (a) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (b) when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow, (c) when moving left to allow traffic to merge, or (d) when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when such left turn is legally permitted. On any such roadway, a vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds shall be driven only in the right-hand lane except under the conditions enumerated in (a) through (d) of this subsection.

(4) It is a traffic infraction to drive continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway when it impedes the flow of other traffic.
I'm glad you quoted the law in Washington. OP is in New Mexico.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:30:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed limit is 65 MPH

Medium traffic.

Does this make you mad?

I can't remember how many times I followed a cop to work. Usually at 75+.

I be all like this around Louisiana:
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:40:21 AM EDT
[#47]
the dude may just be trying to stay awake and get home after a 12 hour shift.  I have caught myself doing 55 in a 65 before doing that...
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:04:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ha!

There are reasons I only go 8 mph over the speed limit on the highway when I drive my personal vehicle.

1. It gets me around the IL folks driving 60 in the 70 mph zone
2. The police in my county don't even look at you twice unless you are 13+ mph over
3. The police in my county don't write you unless you are 15 mph or greater over
4. If an officer, in my area, gave you a ticket for 2-3 mph over they would get laughed at and the ticket would more than likely get kicked.

YMMV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

and what do you think the judge would do?
Tell his nephew "good job"...
Ha!

There are reasons I only go 8 mph over the speed limit on the highway when I drive my personal vehicle.

1. It gets me around the IL folks driving 60 in the 70 mph zone
2. The police in my county don't even look at you twice unless you are 13+ mph over
3. The police in my county don't write you unless you are 15 mph or greater over
4. If an officer, in my area, gave you a ticket for 2-3 mph over they would get laughed at and the ticket would more than likely get kicked.

YMMV
Well said.  Give me parameters like that & we're good.  But I'll damn sure pass at 3-4mph and just assume you're on the phone or checking the latest score.  But pull me over for it...

You seem like one of the good guys.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:31:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Is it unlawful to impede unlawful traffic?  
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:36:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Best to be in the far left lane to run radar at oncoming traffic. Being in the left lane also makes it easier to U-turn. Also, if suddenly needing to activate lights and siren, getting around traffic goes much smoother if starting in the left lane.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top