Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/25/2017 5:14:50 PM EDT
Scenario three lanes of traffic moving west bound on a 6 lane highway/freeway.

Speed limit is 65 MPH

Medium traffic.

LEO is left lane camping doing 65.5MPH

Does this make you mad?

Updated scenario traffic in the other two lanes are doing 55mph to 60 mph

Leo is doing a steady 65 mph and passing traffic in the other two lanes.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I just go around them and keep on going.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I just pass them in another lane.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a great identifier for asshole cops. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#5]
You saw a cop doing the speed limit?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This and they would be violating the law in Florida for camping in the fast lane. I just creep by at 68-69 and if they pull me over, I demand a ticket so I can bring it in front of a judge.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
You can not pass safely because of the other traffic...and the cop might pull you over
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I am going to get up behind him really close get him loose and put him into the wall where all left lane campers belong.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Is this the one

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This and they would be violating the law in Florida for camping in the fast lane. I just creep by at 68-69 and if they pull me over, I demand a ticket so I can bring it in front of a judge.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and what do you think the judge would do?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Is it a fast lane or passing lane?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the cruise set at 70 (70 zone) today while patrolling.  People went right past me without a second thought.

Though, I was in the right lane.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just pass them in another lane.
View Quote
I tried that once...He pulled me over and we got in a 15-minute argument....ended up only giving me a warning. My wife was super pissed at me the rest of the way home because he came up to her window and his breath was terrible she told me just to agree with him and end it I didn't and at the end he ended it with an I guess we will agree to disagree.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Ride his ass to teach him a lesson. It is the only option.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#15]
What a travesty!  A cop following the law. Of course if he were speeding then people would be pissed about that.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#16]
He's probably going exactly the speed limit because everyone calls and complains on every cop for the slightest infraction.   (Your cop was driving 5 miles over the speed limit etc)
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am going to get up behind him really close get him loose and put him into the wall where all left lane campers belong.
View Quote
So his job is to enforce the law. He is doing this rather than writing tickets but by controlling the flow of traffic with his vehicle. And you are upset that he is keeping you from breaking the law.

HHHMMMM
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Considering we have left lane camper laws in my jurisdiction, yes, it would make me mad to see a cop breaking the law.

If everyone could just "keep right except to pass" every highway would flow better
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Distinction without a difference.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fast lane

or

Passing lane

for this hypothetical discussion we will say it is a "passing lane"
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Considering we have left lane camper laws in my jurisdiction, yes, it would make me mad to see a cop breaking the law.

If everyone could just "keep right except to pass" every highway would flow better
View Quote
but the left lane camper laws do not give yo the right to speed but to give you the opportunity to pass without speeding.

Traffic is moving at 55mph in a 65 mph

you use  a passing lane to go past the 55mph traffic but not over 65mph.

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
There is no such thing as a fast lane. It just happens to be a lane people tend to drive faster in. They are all passing lanes on the left.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
might be looking to do a u turn and I have to many other things to be mad about.
View Quote
Good point.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What a travesty!  A cop following the law.
View Quote
That's not necessarily true, depending on the jurisdiction and its laws.  For example, the Revised Code of Washington, § 46.61.100, Keep right except when passing, etc., says:

(2) Upon all roadways having two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, all vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, except (a) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (b) when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow, (c) when moving left to allow traffic to merge, or (d) when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when such left turn is legally permitted. On any such roadway, a vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds shall be driven only in the right-hand lane except under the conditions enumerated in (a) through (d) of this subsection.

(4) It is a traffic infraction to drive continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway when it impedes the flow of other traffic.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That's not necessarily true, depending on the jurisdiction and its laws.  For example, the Revised Code of Washington, § 46.61.100, Keep right except when passing, etc., says:

(2) Upon all roadways having two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, all vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, except (a) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (b) when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow, (c) when moving left to allow traffic to merge, or (d) when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when such left turn is legally permitted. On any such roadway, a vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds shall be driven only in the right-hand lane except under the conditions enumerated in (a) through (d) of this subsection.

(4) It is a traffic infraction to drive continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway when it impedes the flow of other traffic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a travesty!  A cop following the law.

read the updated original post.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#27]
CHP tends to dawdle around in the two right lanes doing 55mph (we have a split speed limit for trucks).

This typically creates a massive bottleneck as everybody slows down to stay behind the cop.

When they finally stop a truck or exit the freeway my commentary is typically "Pace car is pulling off the track and we are back to green flag racing again"
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#28]
You were being detained.  He created joinder.  Was there a gold-fringed flag involved?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

and what do you think the judge would do?
View Quote
It was dismissed before I had the chance.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I see cops cruising at 55 mph in the hammer lane all of the time.  And no one wants to pass them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#31]
No, why should it? Oh, and as someone already wrote, I'd go around the traffic that is driving below the speed limit.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So his job is to enforce the law. He is doing this rather than writing tickets but by controlling the flow of traffic with his vehicle. And you are upset that he is keeping you from breaking the law.

HHHMMMM
View Quote
No different then parking an empty LE car by an intersection. Preemptive policing by using the threat of legal action to coerce behavior. The choice to break a law or not, is mine as a citizen. The LEO in this instance, is using the sovereign government to disenfranchise me, of my moral authority and infringing on my free will.

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
He's probably going exactly the speed limit because everyone calls and complains on every cop for the slightest infraction.   (Your cop was driving 5 miles over the speed limit etc)
View Quote
aaaaand We've got a winner.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
California is the worst!!! Every time I go back it seems like everyone passes on the right and camps the left
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Pull up next to him, roll down 5% tinted window. Give him a Wolf stare, drop down to 3rd and roll the 75 shot as you row through the gears.

That's how I envisioned me doing it in my old WS6 twenty years ago.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#36]
I saw a hilarious brake check the other day.

A slick top & somewhat stealthy cruiser was in the left lane, and I saw one of the morning commuters flying along & zippering in my rear view mirror. He got right up to, and started tailgating the LEO. The cop simultaneously tapped his brakes and lit his car up like a LaGuardia runway, then went dark & accelerated away.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Pull up next to him, roll down 5% tinted window. Give him a Wolf stare, drop down to 3rd and roll the 75 shot as you row through the gears.

That's how I envisioned me doing it in my old WS6 twenty years ago.
View Quote
Trans Am in Somalia? I wouldn't stop then, but would wave at smokey while passing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Yea. 

Fuck left lane campers. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Really? Your claim is you would go before a judge and your defense would be "I was speeding because the cop was doing the speed limit in the left lane."

No, no you have not and you would not. You are having a fantasy and it caused you to say something stupid...not clever, bold and brave.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You saw a cop doing the speed limit?
View Quote
This, I rarely ever see a cop in an official car not speeding.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Pass on the left......
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
And how can it impede the flow if the cop is driving the speed limit? The "flow" of traffic does not have a legal mechanism to legally speed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#43]
He's enforcing the law without writing tickets? But, but what about that revenue he's not generating?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Dang, I live there and haven't seen that car yet.  They must only bring it out for special occasions.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Really? Your claim is you would go before a judge and your defense would be "I was speeding because the cop was doing the speed limit in the left lane."

No, no you have not and you would not. You are having a fantasy and it caused you to say something stupid...not clever, bold and brave.
View Quote
3 tickets in total, all been dismissed since I started driving... It's not exactly hard to get out from. Traffic lawyers don't even charge much, most less then $100.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

3 tickets in total, all been dismissed since I started driving... It's not exactly hard to get out from. Traffic lawyers don't even charge much, most less then $100.
View Quote
No, you are being nebulous and moving the goal posts. You have never been in this situation, did what you claimed you would and got out of it.  You do realize, your tactic is admitting your guilt.  

You can get out of anything, but that is not what you said, you laid out your strategy. Then when confronted with the fact you have not done that and would not do that, you changed your strategy.

Pure bluster. You were called out on it and then demurred.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:40:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No, you are being nebulous and moving the goal posts. You have never been in this situation, did what you claimed you would and got out of it.  You do realize, your tactic is admitting your guilt.  

You can get out of anything, but that is not what you said, you laid out your strategy. Then when confronted with the fact you have not done that and would not do that, you changed your strategy.

Pure bluster. You were called out on it and then demurred.
View Quote
Demanding a ticket, is not admitting guilt... It's simply, I don't want to argue with you on the side of the road, as it's pointless (and dangerous).
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Demanding a ticket, is not admitting guilt... It's simply, I don't want to argue with you on the side of the road, as it's pointless (and dangerous).
View Quote
No, you can not cherry pick what I said and what you said.  We get to use it all.

You have never done it, you will not do it.  When called out, you brought up hiring a lawyer.  

Again, your statement was pure bluster and you demurred when called out.  Now you are trying to run around all the details of the conversation.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No, you can not cherry pick what I said and what you said.  We get to use it all.

You have never done it, you will not do it.  When called out, you brought up hiring a lawyer.  

Again, your statement was pure bluster and you demurred when called out.  Now you are trying to run around all the details of the conversation.
View Quote
Okay, I never laid out my "strategy" or any details of the stop. You are the one being argumentative and "cherry" picking what I said. Hiring an attorney or self representing, is still bringing it in front of a judge.

In summary. Passed cop with cruise on in the middle lane. He pulls me over and gets pissed because I don't answer his questions. I give him my license, insurance, registration, and a medical card for Aspergers (emergency contact, with basic summary). He goes back to his car, puts his spot light on my mirror blinding me. Comes back up yelling with his flashlight, asking questions and wanting to search. I ask for another officer, he refused. So I asked for my ticket and court date. He went back to his car, gave me a ticket for not wearing my seat belt (I was)... I recorded the stop on my blackberry back then and gave the video to a lawyer. Never made it to court, as it was dismissed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm sorry you can't do your normal 15+.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top