BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

you really have to be naive to think that trillions of perfectly timed accidents happened and the earth came to live with millions of living things working in complete perfection 
View Quote
Yes, good thing that has nothing to do with science and the only people who think this are those opposed to the fact* of evolution.

*keep in mind, I'm using fact in the colloquial sense of the word.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Rights are fought for and retained through the efforts of men, not the claimed support of an unseen unproven supreme being
View Quote
Well said.

I have always viewed it as, You have no rights other than those you are willing to fight and die for.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The atheists and evolutionists believe in their own brand of religion, but aren't smart enough to realize it.
View Quote
Atheism is a religion like not watching baseball is a sport.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, apparently your two science degrees didn't teach you how statistics and populations work.

The study says "more likely". When dealing with human populations, there are always millions of people who are exceptions to the general trend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too... My two science degrees apparently make me less educated than the superior atheists.
Well, apparently your two science degrees didn't teach you how statistics and populations work.

The study says "more likely". When dealing with human populations, there are always millions of people who are exceptions to the general trend.
Clearly.  They've never taught statistics as part of a CS degree.  

I'm well aware of how statistics and populations work.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

..you really have to be naive to think that trillions of perfectly timed accidents happened and the earth came to live with millions of living things working in complete perfection 
View Quote
I'm not sure what you mean by "complete perfection," but it's a very big universe that's been around for a very long time.  Earth coming to be in its present state has NOT happened far more times than it has happened.

A lot of those little accidents could have not happened, or had different outcomes, and still resulted in a planet awash in life or something similar.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Regarding the poll:

2 Corinthians 4:4 (NIV)
"The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God."

Proverbs 26:12 (NIV)
"Do you see a person wise in their own eyes?
   There is more hope for a fool than for them."
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Blessed are the less educated for they will inherit the kingdom of God............
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Fine! More religion for me!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Replace "educated" with "indoctrinated communists" 
Communism is anti God
you really have to be naive to think that trillions of perfectly timed accidents happened and the earth came to live with millions of living things working in complete perfection 
View Quote
]

For much of earth's history, no life lived on it at all.  

Things are working in such complete, "designed" perfection that species are constantly going extinct due to unfitness for survival.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Japanese are, by at large, a more upstanding and moral people than us in the West yet they are godless heathens.
View Quote
Talk about an "extraordinary claim."
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Regarding the poll:

2 Corinthians 4:4 (NIV)
"The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God."

Proverbs 26:12 (NIV)
"Do you see a person wise in their own eyes?
   There is more hope for a fool than for them."
View Quote
>"This is good and pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." 1 Timothy 2:4

- Wants people to know him.
- Puts up good objective evidence against his tales (literal Adam and Eve).
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have always viewed it as, You have no rights other than those you are willing to fight and die for.
View Quote
But then, what is your purpose for defending those rights, and how are they any higher than anyone elses?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

>"This is good and pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." 1 Timothy 2:4

- Wants people to know him.
- Puts up good objective evidence against his tales (literal Adam and Eve).
View Quote
Presents thousands of witnesses who believe.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Japanese are, by at large, a more upstanding and moral people than us in the West yet they are godless heathens.
Isn't their crime rate far lower than ours?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
But then, what is your purpose for defending those rights, and how are they any higher than anyone elses?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Life is 'better' with those rights than without them.

They're equal to the same respective rights of others.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Not surprising.  It's today's society.

No God
No Kids
Instant Gratification

There's no room to worship God when you're too busy worshiping yourself.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#17]
And the result seems to be a society with an increasing amount of self-centered narcissists and perversion everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:13:27 PM EDT
[#18]
The less educated also believe all the Liberal bullshit too...
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Education = Indoctrination

Students are indoctrinated not to believe this.  sounds like its successful most of the time.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:16:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes, good thing that has nothing to do with science and the only people who think this are those opposed to the fact* of evolution.

*keep in mind, I'm using fact in the colloquial sense of the word.
View Quote
I bet you believe it's entirely possible that you can hit the powerball ten thousand times in a row too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Isn't their crime rate far lower than ours?
View Quote
The statement wasn't that Japanese crime rates are lower.

The statement was that the Japanese are more moral, despite being "godless heathens."

That is a fascinating claim.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Life is 'better' with those rights than without them.

They're equal to the same respective rights of others.
View Quote
At least you implicitly allow that your first claim is subjective.

I would argue that your second is, as well. Of course, 50% of Americans believe that a woman's right to choice/autonomy/integrity outweighs a child's right to life. So, when both parties have a claim they feel is highest, the idea of popular sovereignty as the solution to moral dilemmas strikes me as hollow.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I bet you believe it's entirely possible that you can hit the powerball ten thousand times in a row too.
View Quote
I believe that its "possible." In some multiverse it has occurred.

However, an appeal to reason would suggest how "improbable" it would be, unless some outside factor (like a hand reaching in and painting all of the balls seven numbers) occurred.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Students are indoctrinated not to believe this.  sounds like its successful most of the time.
View Quote
In fact, it's pretty much the other way around.   The only reason anyone believes in creationism is because of religious indoctrination at a young age.

The available facts don't fit creationism.   That's not a slam against religion.   That's just a statement of the way things are.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The available facts don't fit creationism.   That's not a slam against religion.   That's just a statement of the way things are.
View Quote
I would tend to agree that an appeal to reason tends to discount modern biblically based literal creationism.

But, most "religions" don't make that claim, either.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Still a pathetically high number. 
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Presents thousands of witnesses who believe.
View Quote
Nobody who wrote the Bible was actually there. It was largely written 50-100 years afterwards.

Witness testimony isn't the best either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Still a pathetically high number. 
View Quote
Higher educated Athiest have turned our once great Christian nation into a complete pile of shit.
American education system is a fucking joke.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
education of creationism = indoctrination into creationism

education of evolution = indoctrination into evolution

think for yourself and choose whichever one you think makes sense and sort it all out when the time comes

be happy in the mean time
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I would tend to agree that an appeal to reason tends to discount modern biblically based literal creationism.

But, most "religions" don't make that claim, either.
View Quote
The major Abrahamic ones largely do (at least the ones people still take seriously).

Protestantism doesn't really make sense without a literal fall. People just rationalize it in their heads if they accept evolution, because of the indoctrination/social-pressure to believe.

Quran is supposed to be the literal word of God. It talks of first-person Adam being made straight from clay. Muslims who accept evolution try to rationalize it by pointing out that life likely started from organisms in clay, but it doesn't really answer the contradiction between a first-person Adam and evolution.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

think for yourself and choose whichever one you think makes sense and sort it all out when the time comes

View Quote
Evolution has good objective evidence that you can point to/examine/investigate.

Not so much with creationism. There's no good objective evidence for literal Biblical creationism or a literal world-wide flood. The good objective evidence goes against it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nobody who wrote the Bible was actually there. It was largely written 50-100 years afterwards.

Witness testimony isn't the best either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun
View Quote
Indeed, so one would have to balance the written and oral histories, and other evidence, and then balance that against healthy skepticism.

Luckily, we've got plenty of data, and plenty of smart (certainly smarter than me) people who have looked at this, created the appropriate bounds for thought, and published work on the matter so we don't have to reinvent the wheel.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Christianity = indoctrination.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Indeed, so one would have to balance the written and oral histories, and other evidence, and then balance that against healthy skepticism.

Luckily, we've got plenty of data, and plenty of smart (certainly smarter than me) people who have looked at this, created the appropriate bounds for thought, and published work on the matter so we don't have to reinvent the wheel.
View Quote
>healthy skepticism

That wasn't a thing for a long time. Heck, it's still not a thing for many now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

>healthy skepticism

View Quote
Being broken on the wheel or burned at the stake is usually not healthy, no.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The major Abrahamic ones largely do (at least the ones people still take seriously).

Protestantism doesn't really make sense without a literal fall. People just rationalize it in their heads if they accept evolution, because of the indoctrination/social-pressure to believe.

Quran is supposed to be the literal word of God. It talks of first-person Adam being made straight from clay. Muslims who accept evolution try to rationalize it by pointing out that life likely started from organisms in clay, but it doesn't really answer the contradiction between a first-person Adam and evolution.
View Quote
I am neither an expert on Islam nor Protestantism.

However, at least minor Christian religion would argue that while an original pair of humans existed, the Fall as recounted in Genesis uses figurative language to describe an event at the beginning of the history of Man that explains the disordered state of human nature.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

>healthy skepticism

View Quote
A "long time" is a subjective thing.

The Summa Theologia is about 800 years old.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Being broken on the wheel or burned at the stake is usually not healthy, no.
View Quote
Killing children by breaking them apart with forceps is something our civilized, rational society does, right now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I am neither an expert on Islam nor Protestantism.

However, at least minor Christian religion would argue that while an original pair of humans existed, the Fall as recounted in Genesis uses figurative language to describe an event at the beginning of the history of Man that explains the disordered state of human nature.
View Quote
The poll was "what percentage of American adults believe in literal creationism"

Apparently it has reached an all time low of 38 percent.  

I think it's a fairly safe wager that most of that 38 percent take little or nothing in Genesis "figuratively"
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Killing children by breaking them apart with forceps is something our civilized, rational society does, right now.
View Quote
I like apple juice but impressionist painting does nothing for me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I think it's a fairly safe wager that most of that 38 percent take little or nothing in Genesis "figuratively"
View Quote
One could argue that their religious education is what is disordered, not their morality or intellect.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I like apple juice but impressionist painting does nothing for me.
View Quote
I will grant the humor of your non-sequitur, if not its value to the argument.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Evolution has good objective evidence that you can point to/examine/investigate.

Not so much with creationism. There's no good objective evidence for literal Biblical creationism or a literal world-wide flood. The good objective evidence goes against it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Billions of fossils buried everywhere many in layers inches thick that run for hundreds of miles in every direction.  "no evidence for a world-wide flood".  LOL
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I believe in God, therefor I am dumber than atheists.

Did I get it right my intellectual superiors?
View Quote
Sorry, no.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:36:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Higher educated Athiest have turned our once great Christian nation into a complete pile of shit.
American education system is a fucking joke.
View Quote
We are not now, nor have we ever been, a Christian nation.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
"Less educated" can also mean "less indoctrinated."
View Quote
It's funny because religion is all about indoctrination
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a Genius level IQ from a state administered test.  According to our generally accepted method of testing intelligence I should reside in the 99.99%.  At 17 I had read one book cover to cover in my life but still made a 36 in reading on the ACT.  

I believe in God and creationism.  

Therefore since I am clearly smarter than most people I am correct and all other beliefs are wrong.

Saying that makes as much sense as the "truths" surrounding evolution.  

I don't have enough faith to believe in atheism.  

To believe everything and everyone just spontaneously came from nothing requires a level of belief beyond that of any religion.  It also shows the true level arrogance atheists have.  

Suppose just for a second God is real.  A God who created everything we know.  Now do you do really think you'd be able to comprehend a being such as that?  But because you can't you'll believe we're all just stardust governed by a infinite number of random happenings.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Billions of fossils buried everywhere many in layers inches thick that run for hundreds of miles in every direction.  "no evidence for a world-wide flood".  LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there even enough water on earth to flood the whole place?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right.

H.L. Mencken
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

To believe everything and everyone just spontaneously came from nothing requires a level of belief beyond that of any religion.  It also shows the true level arrogance atheists have.  
View Quote
Do you believe in other deities?

Or do you have so much arrogance that you think yours is the only one?

Most Christians are atheists minus one, like atheist 2.0.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top