Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I might've missed it but did the officer ask the driver to step out of the vehicle and he refused? I know he refused to produce id. But did he refuse to open the door and get out too?

If that never happened then it's the only hangup in what was otherwise a good arrest.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All of that could have easily been avoided.
View Quote
Yup.  Don't run stop signs, don't get stopped for running stop signs!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
yup, rol through a stop and then play "who is the bigger dickhead" with the cop, and this is what happens.......

With that said, the cop was also out of line....  a simple "I observed you roll through a stop sign, and need your license to issue a citation" would have put him in the right, but he decides to go full cartman.....  I hope that Sgt and Cpl got a tune up also, as they backed up a dick move, instead of deescalating & finding a peaceful solution.        

I aint got no time for assholes, but I got even less time for cops who abuse their authority.....
View Quote
It is not an "abuse of authority" to lawfully require a traffic violator to produce their driver's license then not play fuck fuck games with them because they watched too many youtube sovereign citizen videos and mistakenly think they can put their own made up conditions on complying with the law.

It might be a huge headache for a pissant violation, but it is not an abuse of authority, and if everyone in this country refused to put up with fuck fuck games like that cop did our society wouldn't be so full of pussies who sit around thinking about how things could be 'deescalated.'
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#4]
My armchair quarterbacking is that cops cannot demand ID from people for shits and giggles, but if you are suspected of a crime, like running a stoplight, then they can demand it.

Also, and this probably makes me a police bootlicker, but I get some kind of satisfaction from watching idiots getting dragged out of their car and cuffed while screaming about self-inflicted police "brutality".  Also, I kind of wish they tossed that obnoxious woman on the ground for being uncooperative.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

looks like one to the right, just as the video begins....  kia rolls through, and then stops/slows when he sees the popo....    stop signs in an apartment complex are still fair game are they not? (not being a smartass, i dunno)
View Quote
There is indeed an octagonal shaped sign in the intersection the Kia rolled thru. However, it is facing the direction of travel of cars coming up to the "T" at that intersection and not thru traffic.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not gonna lie, I usually side away from SJW but that was fucked up. I don't think it's going to end well for the department
View Quote
Nor the individual officer.  

Hope he enjoys his new career as a security guard.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My armchair quarterbacking is that cops cannot demand ID from people for shits and giggles, but if you are suspected of a crime, like running a stoplight, then they can demand it.
View Quote
You never have to identify yourself to the police. It is your 5th amendment right to remain silent.

Operating a vehicle on public roads and failing to produce ID, reg, and insurance when detained for a traffic violation is either a separate crime from the violation, or in some state's the violation itself is technically a crime so if you fail to produce ID they will take you to jail to identify you and let you go before a judge.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

agreed the officer could have de escalated this by just telling him why he was stopped. I would guess there was no valid reason. so officer friendly became not so friendly. I would probably aquit the defendant if I was on the jury as the officer went aggressive way too early in the stop. just fucking tell the guy when he still wont produce the documents cuff and stuff
View Quote
Please, point to the section of ANY state's legal code that requires police to deescalate.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It is not an "abuse of authority" to lawfully require a traffic violator to produce their driver's license then not play fuck fuck games with them because they watched too many youtube sovereign citizen videos and mistakenly think they can put their own made up conditions on complying with the law.

It might be a huge headache for a pissant violation, but it is not an abuse of authority, and if everyone in this country refused to put up with fuck fuck games like that cop did our society wouldn't be so full of pussies who sit around thinking about how things could be 'deescalated.'
View Quote
I never said that this was an example of that, just that I do not like LEOs who do so.

Ill add that I am not by any means "anti cop", they have a tough job and don't need crappy citizens to make it harder.....   but the few that let their authority go to their head make the majority look like jerks, and that does no good for anyone.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There was an intriguing article in the Oklahoma Law Review regarding the 5th.

Based on the article, the 5th applies in court but not when you are asked to identify yourself.  IOW, identification is mandatory.
View Quote
Law review articles advocate a position.  You know this, right?  They're a journal of ideas, not absolute fact.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There is indeed an octagonal shaped sign in the intersection the Kia rolled thru. However, it is facing the direction of travel of cars coming up to the "T" at that intersection and not thru traffic.
View Quote
Yup, I see that now!     My eyes aint so sharp anymore.....
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Please, point to the section of ANY state's legal code that requires police to deescalate.
View Quote
It's right next to the section that allows them to put conditions on producing their vehicle operation documents. Probably in the Admiralty-Maritime law section of the USC.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

agreed the officer could have de escalated this by just telling him why he was stopped. I would guess there was no valid reason. so officer friendly became not so friendly. I would probably aquit the defendant if I was on the jury as the officer went aggressive way too early in the stop. just fucking tell the guy when he still wont produce the documents cuff and stuff
Just because its not codified in law does not mean the public doesn't expect certain actions from them.

Two adults refusing to answer each others questions is fucking childish, having a badge doesn't make it any better.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
That stop is facing to the right in the video.  It is for traffic traveling right to left as you first view the street in the video, hence it is placed on the right side curb for that direction of traffic.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You never have to identify yourself to the police. It is your 5th amendment right to remain silent.

Operating a vehicle on public roads and failing to produce ID, reg, and insurance when detained for a traffic violation is either a separate crime from the violation, or in some state's the violation itself is technically a crime so if you fail to produce ID they will take you to jail to identify you and let you go before a judge.
View Quote
FWIW: Here in MI it's a misdemeanor to fail to provide ID to an LEO when asked, when the Officer has RS that a crime has been committed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Everyone knows you don't go full retard.

That said use of force starts with tactical verbal skills, not ripping the window out and yanking him out of the car. Maybe start with step out of the vehicle, you are under arrest. And tactical verbal skills is not saying the easy way or the hard way. If someone asked why I pulled them over, I would just tell them. Goes both ways.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Papers please.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Made me cringe when he did the stop without calling it in on the radio
View Quote
May have updated his position/status and the tag number though the computer. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#21]
It's funny..I always knew this place was filled with closeted liberals. You all talk a good game, however.

Was it your time in law school, your experience in the courtroom or on the street?

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

FWIW: Here in MI it's a misdemeanor to fail to provide ID to an LEO when asked, when the Officer has RS that a crime has been committed.
View Quote
RS or PC?

I believe you that law exists, but if the law allows arresting for failure to ID on a RS based Terry stop with no PC for a specific crime, it will not survive court challenges. Just a matter of a lawyer being tenacious enough to keep after it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
True. It's not against the law to be bad at your job.

lol @ you thinking this is some sort of defense for being an asshole.

Quoted:
RS or PC?

I believe you that law exists, but if the law allows arresting for failure to ID on a RS based Terry stop with no PC for a specific crime, it will not survive court challenges. Just a matter of a lawyer being tenacious enough to keep after it.
RS I thought...

Hiibel says RAS.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Made me cringe when he did the stop without calling it in on the radio
He radioed his location and tag after he got out of the car after words with the driver.
Doubt he put anything into his MDT
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Would it have killed the driver to have handed over his ID as requested (and required) before finding out why he was stopped?
View Quote
He'll just start arguing the ticket, and still refuse to give his ID.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Letting the driver control the stop doesn't de-escalate things. Letting the driver play the "I am not cooperating until the officer answers my questions " game gives control to the driver. The driver thinks he can argue and fight the stop right there.  That makes everything worse.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Good smash.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Letting the driver control the stop doesn't de-escalate things. Letting the driver play the "I am not cooperating until the officer answers my questions " game gives control to the driver. The driver thinks he can argue and fight the stop right there.  That makes everything worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Telling him why he was being pulled over would have definitely de-escalated things. To think continuing to be standoff-ish is somehow less likely to cause escalation is window licking.

Every PD around me in fact requires by policy that the first few things a driver hears when he's pulled over is "I'm ____ with ____ department, the reason I'm contacting/stopping you today is ____".

And for good reason. Stops any of this "why are you stopping me?" crap.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Gotcha. Well in my experience, if they want to continue an argument after you politely told them that you would let them know everything as soon as they handed over their ID, they're most likely going to go around in circles and argue about other shit once you answer their questions.

It's probably a safe bet that in this case, if the cop entertained the driver's reason request before handing his ID, the driver would have then started to complain about the reason and would refuse to hand over his ID anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The arrest itself was fine, but would it kill him to tell him why he pulled him over?
Would it have killed the driver to have handed over his ID as requested (and required) before finding out why he was stopped?
No. That's why I said that the arrest was fine.
Gotcha. Well in my experience, if they want to continue an argument after you politely told them that you would let them know everything as soon as they handed over their ID, they're most likely going to go around in circles and argue about other shit once you answer their questions.

It's probably a safe bet that in this case, if the cop entertained the driver's reason request before handing his ID, the driver would have then started to complain about the reason and would refuse to hand over his ID anyway.
Exactly.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Exactly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The arrest itself was fine, but would it kill him to tell him why he pulled him over?
No. That's why I said that the arrest was fine.

Exactly.
Yes, best to nip that in the bud and start being a standoffish asshole as soon as possible rather than try and get cooperation by being cooperative.

Good thinking.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Is there a legal requirement on the police to de-escalate people who refuse to obey the law, or is there a legal requirement for people to obey the law in the first place and de-escalate their own unlawful behavior when confronted by the police?

I'll give you a hint, the former doesn't exist except in the mind of the ACLU and some idiotic department policies. The latter has been the law of the land since longer than you've been alive.

If you commit a traffic violation you don't get to put conditions on when you produce your documents. You stopped being in control of the interaction when you violated the law and got pulled over. The officer doesn't owe you an explanation before you produce the documents you are required to carry when operating a vehicle. The interaction can consist entirely of "Give me your license and registration" and "Here is your ticket for xxx." Explaining the reason for the stop is just the polite thing to do, not a legal requirement, and you most certainly do not get to play the "You have to tell me what I did" game.
View Quote
That's all true. Except for the part where you have to have violated the law to be pulled over. Not having probable cause has been going on longer than you've been alive. So, whether or not you committed a traffic violation, if you do not comply with the commands of the officer, whether those commands are lawful, warranted, or not, you will get your ass kicked in. And in many cases, they will destroy your property for good measure.
I have the added requirement of having to slip "I am a concealed handgun license holder" into that mess.

Americans have rights in court. Not on the street. You make the point well.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
This to a tee. Even if he told him the reason it would have kept on going.
It's a good arrest
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Use of force because you decide someone is probably going to refuse is just stupid.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Telling him why he was being pulled over would have definitely de-escalated things. To think continuing to be standoff-ish is somehow less likely to cause escalation is window licking.

Every PD around me in fact requires by policy that the first few things a driver hears when he's pulled over is "I'm ____ with ____ department, the reason I'm contacting/stopping you today is ____".

View Quote
I agree, stating the reason for the stop up front iseems to be a good thing for that reason. That's different from letting the driver run the stop and demand the reason from the cop.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Law review articles advocate a position.  You know this, right?  They're a journal of ideas, not absolute fact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There was an intriguing article in the Oklahoma Law Review regarding the 5th.

Based on the article, the 5th applies in court but not when you are asked to identify yourself.  IOW, identification is mandatory.
No shit?  Damn, I've never heard that in the past 61 years.  

Original point being that depending on the 5th in regards to self identification just might not hold up in court.

The difference between knowledge and wisdom is this.  Knowledge says that you might be right.  Wisdom says that you don't want to be the court case.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:37:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AND being polite and professional plays well in court. 2 assholes met on the street one went to jail
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#38]
"I'll tell you what the deal is, you're probably suspended so you don't want to give me your license"
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Why did they take the woman?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Driver was an asshole.  But why did they cuff the wife at the end of that shit show?  It didn't seem that she did anything except sit there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#41]
If you drive on public roads you must have a drivers license and provide that information to police when requested, failure to do so is an arrestable offense. Failure to provide identification.

We have no legal obligation to inform a driver why they were stopped, it's a courtesy.

He could of told the driver why he was stopped and then an argument could of happened if how he didn't violate whatever traffic code.

Some cops conduct traffic stops the way the cop in the video do and some don't.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
"I'll tell you what the deal is, you're probably suspended so you don't want to give me your license"
View Quote
I agree that he should have cooperated and just gave him the id.  But when the cop said that I think I would have been a little pissy too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah just stupid right from the easy or hard way comment.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Driver was an asshole and got just what he deserved. Just walking down the street minding your own business you do not have to produce your papers. When you are driving you do have to produce your drivers license and registration.

The law as far as I know doesn't say " you will produce drivers license and registration AFTER the officer informs you why you were stopped."

The officer is  probably  sick and tired of listening to jail house and shit house lawyers trying to enforce THEIR version of the law on him.

Driving a car?  Give the officer your license and registration when asked or go to jail for identification.  Real simple.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
If I am required to hand over an ID to an officer when stopped, the law should require for police to identify the reason for the stop as well. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Is there a legal requirement on the police to de-escalate people who refuse to obey the law, or is there a legal requirement for people to obey the law in the first place and de-escalate their own unlawful behavior when confronted by the police?

I'll give you a hint, the former doesn't exist except in the mind of the ACLU and some idiotic department policies. The latter has been the law of the land since longer than you've been alive.

If you commit a traffic violation you don't get to put conditions on when you produce your documents. You stopped being in control of the interaction when you violated the law and got pulled over. The officer doesn't owe you an explanation before you produce the documents you are required to carry when operating a vehicle. The interaction can consist entirely of "Give me your license and registration" and "Here is your ticket for xxx." Explaining the reason for the stop is just the polite thing to do, not a legal requirement, and you most certainly do not get to play the "You have to tell me what I did" game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm used to "it's never the officer's fault" and don't have a problem with the video in this thread, but Jesus is this a scary insight into the mind of some officers.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If I am required to hand over an ID to an officer when stopped, the law should require for police to identify the reason for the stop as well. Fuck that.
View Quote
Get the law changed to " the officer shall state the offense BEFORE asking for ID"  if you think it is going to make one bit of difference in a traffic stop/change the outcome.  WTF?  Think you are going to argue and win at the side of the road?   Until then , follow the law or get treated like this dude did.

In the couple of times I have been stopped in 43 years of driving, it has always been " license and registration" and then " do you know why I stopped you " then  " because you were speeding" or " you have a burned out tail light."

I was able to contain my desire to know why I was stopped for the 30 seconds it took for the officer to get to it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Driver was an asshole.  But why did they cuff the wife at the end of that shit show?  It didn't seem that she did anything except sit there.
View Quote
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top