Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 5/25/2017 11:21:30 AM EDT
Michigan Cop Shatters Car Window After Driver Refuses To Give ID

A Downriver police chief says her department will investigate the arrest of a man who was pulled from his car after an officer shattered a window. The American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan posted dash cam video of the April 2016 traffic stop and sent a letter Tuesday to the Taylor police department. Chief Mary Sclabassi said that her department will conduct a “thorough and diligent investigation.” Taylor officers stopped a car driven by Calvin Jones, who traveling with his wife and a boy, and things got tense when Jones apparently declined to provide identification.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#1]
In.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Good job being aware of your surroundings. Officer SmashNGrab almost got his fingers run over. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The cop did nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good job being aware of your surroundings. Officer SmashNGrab almost got his fingers run over. 
View Quote
Looks like he busted his own lip around 4:15
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
What was the reason for the stop?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Not gonna lie, I usually side away from SJW but that was fucked up. I don't think it's going to end well for the department
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#8]
13 months later?  That's fishy.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know why the fuck people do this. I got stopped the other day was polite provided all requested information. the office came back we had a nice discussion about NOT speeding and be let me go with a verbal warning and release. no Dags were shot no windows broken. I was pleasantly surprised
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Why was he stopped.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#11]
If I show my ID can the reporter tell me what he was charged with?

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Made me cringe when he did the stop without calling it in on the radio
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:36:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm busy at work so I haven't watched the video. Fair warning. With that out of the way...

...given that you need a driver's license to operate a motor vehicle on a public roadway, what is the proper thing for an officer to do if the driver refuses to provide one when asked? 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#14]
The "easy way / hard way"  speech was given very early into the stop.  

I guess Mr. Kia wanted to see the hard way.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I guess I just don't understand what the big deal in showing your ID is.  

ETA: watched video in fast forward with sound off 'cause I don't care much
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm busy at work so I haven't watched the video. Fair warning. With that out of the way...

...given that you need a driver's license to operate a motor vehicle on a public roadway, what is the proper thing for an officer to do if the driver refuses to provide one when asked? 
View Quote
In short..bust the window and haul your ass to jail.    
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#17]
man, that cop really wanted to put his (almost smashed) fingers in that guys butt
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why was he stopped.
View Quote
Ran a stop sign. Driver needlessly escalated the situation.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#20]
There was an intriguing article in the Oklahoma Law Review regarding the 5th.

Based on the article, the 5th applies in court but not when you are asked to identify yourself.  IOW, identification is mandatory.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
agreed the officer could have de escalated this by just telling him why he was stopped. I would guess there was no valid reason. so officer friendly became not so friendly. I would probably aquit the defendant if I was on the jury as the officer went aggressive way too early in the stop. just fucking tell the guy when he still wont produce the documents cuff and stuff
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Based on the dialogue that I heard (haven't finished the video yet): "I'll tell you what's going on, you're probably suspended so you don't want to show me your license" combined with the fact that the officer appeared to have been waiting for that particular video...

It appears to me that the officer recognized the driver and knew him to be suspended, so he stopped him for driving while suspended.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#23]
That was pretty textbook.  Nonplussed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Needed more "I'm a free inhabitant!" screaming.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I am more bothered by the mismatch shirt and pants, need to wash them both at the same time so it fades evenly 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ran a stop sign.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
For me:

Attempt to identify the driver by running the plates and checking the picture of the registered owner. If it's the RO, I'll just issue tickets for failing to produce and whatever else. They'll get the reason for the stop, as per law, written on their ticket.

If that's a bust, and the guy won't verbally tell you his info or whatever still, then you have him exit the vehicle and tow it, and bring the person to HQ to fingerprint.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#28]
All of that could have easily been avoided.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Get a warrant?  
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't know why the fuck people do this. I got stopped the other day was polite provided all requested information. the office came back we had a nice discussion about NOT speeding and be let me go with a verbal warning and release. no Dags were shot no windows broken. I was pleasantly surprised
View Quote
Amazing how if you are not an asshat to on officer how smooth things can go.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#31]
He served and protected the hell out of that guy.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Idiot Driver...
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#33]
The arrest itself was fine, but would it kill him to tell him why he pulled him over?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:49:16 AM EDT
[#34]
There wasn't any reason for the KIA to stop and yield to that minivan unless he was turning in to where the cop was.  
He saw the cop and decided to go on by.
Cop was waiting for him.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
He served and protected the hell out of that guy.
View Quote
Seriously.  Driver seemed fairly calm, how hard is it to explain why you stopped him?  Whole deal was avoidable.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Drivers License, Registration, Proof of Insurance.... It isn't really that hard of a concept to understand.
Has anyone ever won an argument with a cop on the side of the road?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why was he stopped.
I see. Every time I have been pulled (a long long time ago), I always handed him a license, registration, and proof of insurance. I was cooperative and never went to jail. See how easy that is.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The arrest itself was fine, but would it kill him to tell him why he pulled him over?
View Quote
Would it have killed the driver to have handed over his ID as requested (and required) before finding out why he was stopped?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

agreed the officer could have de escalated this by just telling him why he was stopped. I would guess there was no valid reason. so officer friendly became not so friendly. I would probably aquit the defendant if I was on the jury as the officer went aggressive way too early in the stop. just fucking tell the guy when he still wont produce the documents cuff and stuff
View Quote
Is there a legal requirement on the police to de-escalate people who refuse to obey the law, or is there a legal requirement for people to obey the law in the first place and de-escalate their own unlawful behavior when confronted by the police?

I'll give you a hint, the former doesn't exist except in the mind of the ACLU and some idiotic department policies. The latter has been the law of the land since longer than you've been alive.

If you commit a traffic violation you don't get to put conditions on when you produce your documents. You stopped being in control of the interaction when you violated the law and got pulled over. The officer doesn't owe you an explanation before you produce the documents you are required to carry when operating a vehicle. The interaction can consist entirely of "Give me your license and registration" and "Here is your ticket for xxx." Explaining the reason for the stop is just the polite thing to do, not a legal requirement, and you most certainly do not get to play the "You have to tell me what I did" game.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Would it have killed the driver to have handed over his ID as requested (and required) before finding out why he was stopped?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No. That's why I said that the arrest was fine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Seriously.  Driver seemed fairly calm, how hard is it to explain why you stopped him?  Whole deal was avoidable.
View Quote
Yep, it was definitely avoidable.

Cop could have been more patient. Driver had a legal obligation to produce his license, reg and insurance and instead chose to play fuck fuck games.

FWIW it's worth if it were me I would have spent way more time talking to the fuckhead and if I were that cops boss I would probably chat with him about picking his battles. Doesn't change the fact that he was not the one breaking the law here.

Whole deal was avoidable by following the fucking law and not being a fuckhead. Like most of these videos.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#43]
He didn't have a valid license is my first guess. You must produce your license when asked to is how that rule reads. The few times I've been stopped they did indeed ask for license, registration and insurance first. Followed by I stopped you for ... It's really not that difficult, don't give them any bullshit. If you want to argue about it, take it to court.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ran a stop sign? Were you watching the same video as me? The one where the driver appears to be on private property? The video clearly shows a gate and guard shack up ahead of the stopped vehicles. I'd sure love to see where that stop sign on a public roadway was at.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#45]
yup, rol through a stop and then play "who is the bigger dickhead" with the cop, and this is what happens.......

With that said, the cop was also out of line....  a simple "I observed you roll through a stop sign, and need your license to issue a citation" would have put him in the right, but he decides to go full cartman.....  I hope that Sgt and Cpl got a tune up also, as they backed up a dick move, instead of deescalating & finding a peaceful solution.        

I aint got no time for assholes, but I got even less time for cops who abuse their authority.....
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
and his head
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#47]
When he got out of the car I was like he didn't radio out his location and vehicle he was out with. That's bad mojo.

What was the reason for the stop? Was he a known and had a warrant? Did he know he was suspended?

ETA:Ok I had to blow up the video on my screen up to see what looks like a  stop sign.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Ran a stop sign? Were you watching the same video as me? The one where the driver appears to be on private property? The video clearly shows a gate and guard shack up ahead of the stopped vehicles. I'd sure love to see where that stop sign on a public roadway was at.
View Quote
looks like one to the right, just as the video begins....  kia rolls through, and then stops/slows when he sees the popo....    stop signs in an apartment complex are still fair game are they not? (not being a smartass, i dunno)
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotcha. Well in my experience, if they want to continue an argument after you politely told them that you would let them know everything as soon as they handed over their ID, they're most likely going to go around in circles and argue about other shit once you answer their questions.

It's probably a safe bet that in this case, if the cop entertained the driver's reason request before handing his ID, the driver would have then started to complain about the reason and would refuse to hand over his ID anyway.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top