BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Good... what took so long?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh FFS! Now I have to weight Christmas presents for all, or an Infidel OTF for me

Now if the Hearing Protection passes and suppressors come off NFA... the family is going to just have to get used to Mr. Clause not coming around; that is unless they wanted a can for Christmas
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm confused. Is all they did was change "illegal knife" to "location restricted knife"?

Does it also make it illegal to give a "location restricted knife" to someone under 18?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:07:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, but we're about to go nanny state on cell phones.
View Quote
Meaning ???
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Unless the place in town has a 30.07 sign.

I have yet to see a chain store or gas station that doesn't have a 30.07 sign.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen it a few times. But what "open carry" really means is that concealed carriers need never worry about printing or anything else. So long as the weapon is in a hosted it is legal.
For me, the most obvious benefit is if I'm out in the country hunting or carrying an openly holstered pistol for defense from predators, and I have to run into town, I don't have to pull the pistol out and leave it under the seat.  It's much safer in my holster.

Where in the heck do you go?  

I've seen a few, but not too many.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#7]
F R E E D O M

R

E

E

D

O

M
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Can't wait for the "Recommend me a great Bowie Knife that stays razor sharp all the time, won't rust and comes with a Kudu skin sheath for under 20 dollars threads"
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
One of the few places with a 30.07 sign is where I work.  Most other locations didn't put them up, though a few gun shops have.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#10]
It was a bad law and the wording on it was pretty vague and open to interpretation.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#11]
In Wisconsin, we went from almost nothing...
To the longest double edge Microtech for 18 and older.

OVERNIGHT. thanks Gov. Walker.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In Wisconsin, we went from almost nothing...
To the longest double edge Microtech for 18 and older.

OVERNIGHT. thanks Gov. Walker.
View Quote
Protech or Benchmade
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen it a few times. But what "open carry" really means is that concealed carriers need never worry about printing or anything else. So long as the weapon is in a hosted it is legal.
For me, the most obvious benefit is if I'm out in the country hunting or carrying an openly holstered pistol for defense from predators, and I have to run into town, I don't have to pull the pistol out and leave it under the seat.  It's much safer in my holster.

7-11, Kroger's, Half Price Books and Vista Ridge Mall immediately come to mind. I can't remember if Albertsons or Walmart have them, off the top of my head. I think I saw one at Costco, but I can't say for certain right now.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The odds of you noticing that I've got an infidel in my pocket instead of a mini barrage are pretty small.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am glad that this passed. It is good to be able to carry weapons legally. 

That said, I highly doubt that this will impact anything. I still haven't seen two people open carrying handguns and that became legal two years ago.
The odds of you noticing that I've got an infidel in my pocket instead of a mini barrage are pretty small.
To quote an old friend of mine from years back "If the cops find out that I'm carrying an auto knife, I've already fucked up to the point that I'm fucked anyway"
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

To quote an old friend of mine from years back "If the cops find out that I'm carrying an auto knife, I've already fucked up to the point that I'm fucked anyway"
View Quote
Routine traffic stop followed by pat down/vehicle search?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Texas legislature only meets once every 2 years for 140 days max. Governor had add an additional 30 days.

The last session they gave us open carry.  There were knife bills to put on the table but due to the limitation on open sessions, they try to push the most important things through. Guns and knife bills on top of all the other things the government looks at, roads, schooling, the crazy let every wacko man in the bathroom with my little girls ...you know things like that....

It does take a while but they try to push as hard as they can from what we serfs can tell.

Per the exclusion clause. Before open carry was signed in, there was an exemption TX penal code 46.15 Nonapplicability subsection (b).(6) states that section 46.02 (the section talking about illegal knives and clubs) is non applicable if a person is carrying (A) a license (B) a handgun either concealed or open carried.

The verbiage here changed from when mattfrio had his run in, in that the words said STTE of "is licensed and carrying a concealed handgun of the type on the license". We used to have to qualify as either single action (SA) or double action (DA) which was listed on the license. They took out that requirement when we got open carry but looks like the Nonapplicability is still written in there.....that is what got him into trouble as the arresting officers didn't know all the nuances and exemptions and were just going by the ">5.5in" rule. And when he challenged them in it they basically said to let the judge sort it out... iirc

this is what is being changed with the new law where they are striking the term illegal knife and you don't need the license as a workaround ...
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Now I can carry my gerbr MKII....
Or my sword
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:42:16 PM EDT
[#18]
We need that to happen in FL.  The size limit BS and can't carry a "dagger" in certain cities here (even with CCP) is really stupid.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Texas legislature only meets once every 2 years for 140 days max. Governor had add an additional 30 days.
View Quote
Which is just fine! Keep them fuckers home. We neither need nor want a full time legislature sitting around look for laws to write. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
HB1935 passed yesterday eliminating all "illegal knife" wording from the books. Come September 1st no more arbitrary 5.5 inch law and no more double edge law.
View Quote

Cool. Knives are cool. I like knives. I have a thing for knives. I think I might have to get a new one to celebrate the Texans' victory.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Bill Verbiage as passed

There are location restrictions.
View Quote
I really hate lawyer talk.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah, but we're about to go nanny state on cell phones.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can't wait for the "Recommend me a great Bowie Knife that stays razor sharp all the time, won't rust and comes with a Kudu skin sheath for under 20 dollars threads"
View Quote
Well you would be the guy to know, got any recommendations?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Well shit.

Now I don't have any excuse not to own and carry a Benchmade Infidel...
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Sweet.  This thing may finally see some carry time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Where is Texas on auto knives?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I really hate lawyer talk.
View Quote

Summary I found online that should help:

So HB 1935 passed last night and everybody's all excited. But what exactly does it do?

The original bill completely repealed all illegal knives. An amendment was added that says knives over 5.5" are location-restricted.

Despite the amendment, I still believe this is the strongest legislation passed this session that supports the right to keep and bear arms. So let's celebrate a victory for Texas!

Bottom line:
Anyone can carry any knife anywhere as long as it is not over five and a half inches.* Most people can carry longer knives most places.

Rules for knives over 5.5":
- Don't carry them in prohibited places (schools, polling places, courthouses, airports past security, racetracks, places of execution, 51%, sporting events, correctional facilities, hospitals, nursing homes, mental hospitals, amusement parks, churches/synogogues/established places of worship). Penalty: class C misdemeanor except schools are 3rd-degree felony

- Don't sell, rent, lease, loan, or give them (or offer to do any of those things) to anyone under 18 without parent's written permission (for selling) or effective consent (for anything besides selling). Penalty: Class A misdemeanor

- If you're under 18, you may not carry them outside of your home, property, or a motor vehicle/watercraft owned by you and under your control (or directly enroute to the motor vehicle or watercraft), unless you're under a parent or legal guardian's direct supervision. Penalty: class C misdemeanor

The bill will go into effect September 1st, 2017.

*This is according to state law and does not repeal TSA or federal restrictions.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Our state government is intentionally designed to function slowly.

We like it this way as it slows and helps prevent stupid laws from being passed but it also means that old stupid laws that Democrats put in place years ago when they were in charge takes a long time to repeal.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The last session they gave us open carry.  There were knife bills to put on the table but due to the limitation on open sessions, they try to push the most important things through. Guns and knife bills on top of all the other things the government looks at, roads, schooling, the crazy let every wacko man in the bathroom with my little girls ...you know things like that....

It does take a while but they try to push as hard as they can from what we serfs can tell.

Per the exclusion clause. Before open carry was signed in, there was an exemption TX penal code 46.15 Nonapplicability subsection (b).(6) states that section 46.02 (the section talking about illegal knives and clubs) is non applicable if a person is carrying (A) a license (B) a handgun either concealed or open carried.

The verbiage here changed from when mattfrio had his run in, in that the words said STTE of "is licensed and carrying a concealed handgun of the type on the license". We used to have to qualify as either single action (SA) or double action (DA) I think you meant Semi-auto (SA) or Non-semi-auto (NSA)which was listed on the license. They took out that requirement when we got open carry but looks like the Nonapplicability is still written in there.....that is what got him into trouble as the arresting officers didn't know all the nuances and exemptions and were just going by the ">5.5in" rule. And when he challenged them in it they basically said to let the judge sort it out... iirc

this is what is being changed with the new law where they are striking the term illegal knife and you don't need the license as a workaround ...
View Quote
Fixed for ya.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
We are good to go on them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a search and pat down are a normal part of getting pulled over, you're already fucking up somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
They are legal 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You already could, if you had a chl/ltc and were also carrying a firearm.
View Quote
Not so.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I want them to put an end to the ban on saps and flatjacks!!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
They removed that a while back and added a preemption clause in there.....there are many city ordinances that add further restrictions: no lock blades, automatics, gravity or inertia assist etc....the law basically said state law trumps city law.... I don't recall the exact verbiage but in short autos are good to go.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the assist....flying by seat of my pants
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Illegal for a minor to be in possession unless directly supervised by a parent or "legal" guardian.

It is less restrictive to take my niece to the range/hunting than for her to have a knife with a blade over 5.5"

The law as amended is convoluted bullshit and expands the nanny state.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I want them to put an end to the ban on saps and flatjacks!!!!
View Quote
Dude, if you carry your pistol, and your license, you are good to go.  For grins, try reading 46.15 of the penal code some time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You already could, if you had a chl/ltc and were also carrying a firearm.
Not so.
Ya huh!

I posted the statutes 46.15.b.6 Nonapplicability to section 46.02 illegal knives and clubs.

Plus I have a lawyerly letter that basically says under the black letter of the law I'm correct. Under the spirit of the law, it may be a bit grey and is inadvisable to be the test case (see mattfrio) and to depend on the quality and how current the officers training is. Furthermore, it recommended that if I were in a situation, to request a black letter reading/understanding of the law....i.e. what do the words say? ...it says if you have a license and are carrying the license and a pistol then it doesn't matter if you also are carrying a knife or not.....which kinda makes sense. The whole, "don't bring a knife to a hi. Fight" comes to mind.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I am glad that this passed. It is good to be able to carry weapons legally. 

That said, I highly doubt that this will impact anything. I still haven't seen two people open carrying handguns and that became legal two years ago.
View Quote
Because it feels weird. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Texans

Can you tell the rest of us what freedom feels like?
View Quote
Come to Indiana and find out.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well? My cc is standing by. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ahh yes Texas, regarded as the epitome of freedom yet you need permission from the state to carry a pistol.
View Quote
Says they guy from the state that doesn't recognize Constitutional Carry for out of state visitors.  Get your crap cleaned up first, then you can talk shit.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#45]
I always found it odd that I could walk around with an AR pistol shoved in my pants but couldn't carry my Kbar.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:07:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Great, another thread that'll cost me money.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ahh yes Texas, regarded as the epitome of freedom yet you need permission from the state to carry a pistol.
View Quote
We never said that we had more freedom than you, we just say that we are better than you in general.

Get it right you peasant.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Says they guy from the state that doesn't recognize Constitutional Carry for out of state visitors.  Get your crap cleaned up first, then you can talk shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Loool your state doesn't allow any constitutional carry and you're criticizing?

Enjoy those 30.06 signs too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They are legal 
View Quote
Like if I live in Tennessee I can carry mine without any problems?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So location restricted just means places with 30.06/30.07 or 51% signs, or places like schools?
View Quote
 30.06 / 07 will have noting to do with knives of any length, only handguns.

Pretty much the rest of the list is a mirror of 46.03 and 46.035. 
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top