Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:59:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those shitty passenger masks don't do shit. Without pressurization you're not pushing oxygen into the hemoglobin anyways. So breath as much oxygen as you want, you're just gonna exhale it.

The pilots masks are pressurized.
View Quote
This. My bro was a commercial pilot for 10 yrs and he told me this numerous times.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:10:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Those shitty passenger masks don't do shit. Without pressurization you're not pushing oxygen into the hemoglobin anyways. So breath as much oxygen as you want, you're just gonna exhale it.

View Quote
No.   WTF are you talking about?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:14:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This. My bro was a commercial pilot for 10 yrs and he told me this numerous times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, your "Bro" lied.   Or, he explained it to you in terms you couldn't understand.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:44:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Scotty doesn't know!
View All Quotes
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 5:33:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Hypoxia, how does it work.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:45:39 AM EDT
[#6]
The altitude chamber was fun as hell!

Quick drunk without the hangover.

I like the instructions though that they give you, 'then breath normally'

Who the fuck is going to breath normally after a rapid decompression and that shit falling from the ceiling?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:50:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I laughed out loud...
Just like when another diver grabs your main, instead of your octopus.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:08:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No.   WTF are you talking about?
View Quote
I read an article years ago in science digest talking about the issues regarding flying at high altitudes. They discussed why pilots masks are sealed. It's because the oxygen is being forced in under pressure, you have to forcefully exhale.

At altitude the pressure is so low that oxygen won't penetrate the surface tension of your bloods hemoglobin and therefore the blood just flows through your lungs but doesn't pick any oxygen up along the way.

The pilots masks pressure allows your blood to saturate with oxygen. This little plastic masks don't do anything but make you feel safe.

It also mentioned that during rapid depressurization the water vapor in the air turns to ice instantly, causing a total white out. You literally can't see your hand in front of your face, so good luck finding the mask.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Who has been at an altitude of 12,000 feet, and did you notice any light-headedness or anything?  I've always heard that you can feel 12,000 feet, but I went skiing at Mt. Agassiz and climbed a bit higher than the highest lift, and I never felt different.  I just remember getting out of breath a little easier, but I was working hard climbing the deep snow in ski boots and carrying my skis.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Well, your "Bro" lied.   Or, he explained it to you in terms you couldn't understand.
View Quote
I tried to find that article. Couldn't find that one but found plenty that said there is a diffenite connection between decreased air pressure and the reduction of the hemoglobin's affinity for picking up oxygen.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:33:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Who has been at an altitude of 12,000 feet, and did you notice any light-headedness or anything?  I've always heard that you can feel 12,000 feet, but I went skiing at Mt. Agassiz and climbed a bit higher than the highest lift, and I never felt different.  I just remember getting out of breath a little easier, but I was working hard climbing the deep snow in ski boots and carrying my skis.
View Quote
I have, no effect other then my cigarettes lasting twice as long. The FAA requires private pilots at or above 12,500 for more than 30 minutes to have air.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:33:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've been to 16000 feet without oxygen when I used to skydive. It was on Mike Mullins King Air, which was a rocket ship, so we weren't up there long.....but I didn't feel any different.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have, no effect other then my cigarettes lasting twice as long. The FAA requires private pilots at or above 12,500 for more than 30 minutes to have air.
View Quote
Huh, that would be interesting to try.  Did they burn as well when you toked, or was it harder to get smoke?

I did bring an empty 20oz. bottle to the top, and then brought it back to sea level with me, and it was very much crushed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:46:31 AM EDT
[#14]
My non-scientific observation is that at 1,000ft I get the nicotine dosage I'm used to with one complete cigarette in roughly 3 minutes. At pressure altitudes above 12,000ft it takes me over 7 minutes to smoke a complete cigarette and I feel like extinguishing it half way through. The draws are not noticeably different.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Someone embed please.  I'm surprised no one has posted this.

https://youtu.be/kUfF2MTnqAw

Supposedly you have mere seconds of consciousness in the event of rapid decompression at 35,000 feet.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Ive been on a plane that depressurized at altitude. It definitely wasn't a rapid depressurization but other than the sudden dive like we were landing in a hurry. Zero effects.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#18]
You need a certain amount of oxygen particles to stay conscious. At higher altitudes there are fewer particles due to the air being thinner. Increasing the percentage of oxygen you breath helps i.e. adding pure oxygen from a mask. At some point even 100% oxygen unpressurized is not enough so it needs to be pressurized.

Those passenger masks add some oxygen helping you to stay conscious and live. You don't really want to starve your brain of oxygen by being tough. You can die. At 41,000 feet you have something like 7 seconds to get your mask on.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've hiked several 14ers, no fucks given.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I read an article years ago in science digest talking about the issues regarding flying at high altitudes. They discussed why pilots masks are sealed. It's because the oxygen is being forced in under pressure, you have to forcefully exhale.

At altitude the pressure is so low that oxygen won't penetrate the surface tension of your bloods hemoglobin and therefore the blood just flows through your lungs but doesn't pick any oxygen up along the way.

The pilots masks pressure allows your blood to saturate with oxygen. This little plastic masks don't do anything but make you feel safe.

It also mentioned that during rapid depressurization the water vapor in the air turns to ice instantly, causing a total white out. You literally can't see your hand in front of your face, so good luck finding the mask.
View Quote
The biggest reason pilot masks are sealed and under positive pressure is if there are toxic fumes, you don't want them sneaking into the mask. Same reason they have goggles - it's not just for the possible smoke (that is one reason of course), but you don't want toxic fumes sneaking in through your mucous membranes

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19840712-0

As for the oxygen not binding with the blood, I don't believe that is related to breathing oxygen under pressure, it is related to the ambient pressure on your body. That's why high-altitude pilots wear pressure suits, because just breathing oxygen under pressure will not actually get the oxygen to your blood. (I can't actually find sources for this one way or the other, but that's what I remember from physiology training)
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm sorta curious as to what happens to your ears, in a sudden de-pressurization.

Going from a cabin alt of ~10,000 ft to ~33,000 ft in a few seconds has gotta be pretty painful, no?
View Quote
If you are in that shit pile, I think it's probably the last thing you'd worry about.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Also, at 41,000 feet it could take a few minutes to get down to an altitude where you can breath. At 10,000 ft/min descent rate, it would take 3 minutes to get to 10,000 ft. You will also be suffering from nitrogen bubbling out of your system. Oxygen reduces your intake of more nitrogen.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Had am ln on air emergency when the masks were deployed. Damn rubber band strap was rotten and broke.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm sorta curious as to what happens to your ears, in a sudden de-pressurization.

Going from a cabin alt of ~10,000 ft to ~33,000 ft in a few seconds has gotta be pretty painful, no?
View Quote
I don't remember any issues with my ears popping when I did my chamber ride and rapid decompression.

But I do remember the loud BANG! And the air turning white.

I can't remember how much time they gave us to get our masks on.

What really sucked was positive pressure breathing 100% oxygen because if I remember right, the O2 saturated our inner ears or eustachian tubes  and gave us all the worst earaches like 2 to 3 days later.

EDIT:  in addition to the loud BANG! And the air turning white momentarily, all the air in your lungs literally gets sucked out....it felt kinda like falling flat on your back and having the wind knocked out of you.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:37:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
the other person is weaker.
View Quote
No, they tell you to put your mask on first because you could become too incapacitated to do so if there is any delay.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not accurate.

As flimsy as the passenger masks are, they will keep hypoxia at bay during most decompression scenarios.

<--- former ECS engineer for fighter aircraft
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Oxygen gets you high. In a catastrophic emergency, you're taking giant panicked breaths. Suddenly you become euphoric, docile. You accept your fate. It's all right here. Emergency water landing - 600 miles an hour. Blank faces, calm as Hindu cows.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've done 9,000 before. I got out of breath a lot easier, but didn't notice any other real effects.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:25:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Oxygen gets you high. In a catastrophic emergency, you're taking giant panicked breaths. Suddenly you become euphoric, docile. You accept your fate. It's all right here. Emergency water landing - 600 miles an hour. Blank faces, calm as Hindu cows.
View Quote
The passenger oxygen systems don't provide enough oxygen to give you a high.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:30:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You have less than a minute of consciousness at cruising altitude oxygen levels.

So, you know, go first.
View Quote
Those masks are useless above FL300. There is no pressure from them to force oxygen into your lungs unlike the masks pilots use.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Google Time of useful consciousness.  If you are in good cardio shape, you will be at the top of those ranges.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Oxygen gets you high. In a catastrophic emergency, you're taking giant panicked breaths. Suddenly you become euphoric, docile. You accept your fate. It's all right here. Emergency water landing - 600 miles an hour. Blank faces, calm as Hindu cows
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
the other person is weaker.
View Quote
No... its because you have less than 10 seconds of useful consciousness at altitude...
Effect of rapid decompression at FL450
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Oxygen gets you high. In a catastrophic emergency, you're taking giant panicked breaths. Suddenly you become euphoric, docile. You accept your fate. It's all right here. Emergency water landing - 600 miles an hour. Blank faces, calm as Hindu cows
View Quote

Missed it by five posts.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Being a NCO in the army is kinda like that

You always take care of yourself FIRST and then help your joes
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#37]
I remember watching some show where they had a Sherpa (he lived in Utah) along with a bunch of other people. Sherpa was watching people fall out all round him, he was fine, able to do all the problems and games.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Missed it by five posts.
View Quote
So good it needed repeating.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:03:45 AM EDT
[#39]
I have been on a flight where the masks have dropped.

people don't scream, everyone gets really quiet for a couple of seconds.  

Very weird.

there wasn't an emergency, somebody's child managed to pry a panel open. evidently if one panel opens, they all do.

we diverted, put on another plane. have no idea what happened to the family. This was early 80's
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol, no.

you are misinformed.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:06:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
engineer pass Ouray CO. you're at 12k
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I remember watching some show where they had a Sherpa (he lived in Utah) along with a bunch of other people. Sherpa was watching people fall out all round him, he was fine, able to do all the problems and games.
View Quote
I saw that. It had zero effect on him.

I don't really get the 10-15 seconds of useful consciousness claims though. I mean the fattest, most out of shape smoker can exhale and not breathe for 15 seconds and not fall out or lose reasoning ability. I don't claim to be a doctor though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The biggest reason pilot masks are sealed and under positive pressure is if there are toxic fumes, you don't want them sneaking into the mask. Same reason they have goggles - it's not just for the possible smoke (that is one reason of course), but you don't want toxic fumes sneaking in through your mucous membranes

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19840712-0

As for the oxygen not binding with the blood, I don't believe that is related to breathing oxygen under pressure, it is related to the ambient pressure on your body. That's why high-altitude pilots wear pressure suits, because just breathing oxygen under pressure will not actually get the oxygen to your blood. (I can't actually find sources for this one way or the other, but that's what I remember from physiology training)
View Quote
Armstrong's Line, brah!

At 63,000 feet, the pressure is low enough that water, and your blood, will boil at 98*F .
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I had very little in the way of hypoxia symptoms when I did the altitude chamber.  I was the last guy in my chamber group to go on oxygen;  No tingling, no shortness of breath, no air hunger, no headache, no dizziness.

The only thing I noticed was that my thinking was slowed a bit.

Remember the clipboard of problems, mazes, games, etc they give you to work on when you're in the chamber?  I was working my way through them all, and it was only after a bit that I realized that it was taking a little longer for me to read the word problems (I normally blast through those).  I figured that was hypoxia, and so I put on my mask, and gangloaded my regulator.

It was only then that I looked around the chamber, and noticed that EVERYBODY ELSE had their masks on, and all of them were staring at me.  I got on the intercom and said "What?"

The chamber attendant said "Uh... you OK there # nine?"

I said "yeah, why?"

He said "never mind."

It really affects people differently.  Some people crap out quickly, while others you can hardly tell.  They can carry on a conversation long past the time where you'd think they should be perseverating and stupid.  
View Quote
True.  It also depends on what altitude you are acclimated to prior to depressurization.  If you live at 7000' MSL, you should fare better than someone that lives at sea level.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't really get the 10-15 seconds of useful consciousness claims though. I mean the fattest, most out of shape smoker can exhale and not breathe for 15 seconds and not fall out or lose reasoning ability. I don't claim to be a doctor though.
View Quote
A rapid decompression at say 30,000 plus feet literally sucks the air out of you.

There is no holding your breath.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Unless you have cardiac/pulmonary ailments you aren't dying.

People are exposed to high altitudes for fun training on a regular basis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSrGfElyfVE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because you'll both die if you do it the other way.  If you live you can help others after.
Unless you have cardiac/pulmonary ailments you aren't dying.

People are exposed to high altitudes for fun training on a regular basis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSrGfElyfVE
If you've ever had a conversation with any one who has climbed Mt. Everest (or other high altitude climbs) more than a few times, you'd understand why it's important to don a mask.
I've known several, and sometimes it's like talking to a California surfer/stoner dude. Brain damage starts to set in. Higher brain function suffers.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
The nitrogen transport in your bloodstream is what KOs you during a cabin pressure decay.  Fighter pilots are exposed to even larger and more rapid pressure changes, which is why they are breathing high O2 mixes - it minimizes the nitrogen in the bloodstream.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
people climb higher mountains than that without oxygen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once again the ones with only PC Flight Sim time make themselves known to GD.
Only Ed Vestieurs (sp) and a few Sherpas do well above 25,000' without supplement oxygen. At 29,000' even with oxygen most people can't do 1st grade arithmetic.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
And get brain damage from it.  If the oxygen is there, I'm using it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I had very little in the way of hypoxia symptoms when I did the altitude chamber.  I was the last guy in my chamber group to go on oxygen;  No tingling, no shortness of breath, no air hunger, no headache, no dizziness.

The only thing I noticed was that my thinking was slowed a bit.

Remember the clipboard of problems, mazes, games, etc they give you to work on when you're in the chamber?  I was working my way through them all, and it was only after a bit that I realized that it was taking a little longer for me to read the word problems (I normally blast through those).  I figured that was hypoxia, and so I put on my mask, and gangloaded my regulator.

It was only then that I looked around the chamber, and noticed that EVERYBODY ELSE had their masks on, and all of them were staring at me.  I got on the intercom and said "What?"

The chamber attendant said "Uh... you OK there # nine?"

I said "yeah, why?"

He said "never mind."

It really affects people differently.  Some people crap out quickly, while others you can hardly tell.  They can carry on a conversation long past the time where you'd think they should be perseverating and stupid.  
View Quote
Ditto!, basically.

I was the last guy to put my mask on too.

My clipboard with the worksheet on it was filled out just fine.  Maybe the only thing I noticed was my handwriting got worse.

I didn't experience any of the graying out with my vision.

The aerospace phys guy was hovering over me when I looked around and noticed everybody had their masks on and they were staring at me.

Later on, my friends told me my lips were really, really blue.  During that initial chamber ride, everybody else got all giggly like they were buzzed/drunk.  Of course, ripping some hellacious farts added to the hilarity.

Back then I was running a lot at about 7, 258 ft MSL, so that is what I attribute my longevity or length of (non)symptoms  to.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top