Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:36:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well....

If you took a regular ship, a combat ready ship, a medium sized airport, a nuclear power plant, a machine/welding/fab shop, a small municipal public utility, plus the contractors to work on/fix all of the above...  how many people do you think you would have?
View Quote
In my travels, I met the wife of a retired USN person responsible for the maintence of a the nuclear reactor about ship, and she describes very succinctly, "the USN is very anal about maintence, even way more so than private industry," which she explain why there are very few accidents involving the reactor aboard ships.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I got out as an EW1. I worked on the SLQ(slick) 32. I used to get dirty looks on the mess decks both times I was in the gulf because I would show up with a jacket on. There would be guys there trying to eat while they were sweating their ass off from being out in the 100 degree heat. It wasn't my fault our equipment had to stay cold
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Being a FC on a carrier was the best (CV-64 1993-94), I didn't know how good I had it. It was a real wake up call when I went Aegis and went to a CG.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I kept the 43B at 97% + up time.  I never deployed with the 43C, but I wasn't impressed by what I saw with it.  My 41 died constantly in the Gulf.  Man, I hated that thing.  We rigged ducts out of cardboard to blow the air directly onto the equipment in the domes, which helped, but then we got nailed for flammable materials in the domes.    Our big problem child (this was 96-97) was the 48C.  I spent most of that deployment helping the FCs keep that POS running.
Being a FC on a carrier was the best (CV-64 1993-94), I didn't know how good I had it. It was a real wake up call when I went Aegis and went to a CG.
Some of my friends were FCs (I was an ET.)  They all seemed to enjoy it.  Being a 41/43 tech could really suck when your equipment was being bitchy.  At least I wasn't a 42 or 46 tech!  Those poor bastards...
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#5]
EL OH EL

USS Nimitz 2004-2005
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I got out as an EW1. I worked on the SLQ(slick) 32. I used to get dirty looks on the mess decks both times I was in the gulf because I would show up with a jacket on. There would be guys there trying to eat while they were sweating their ass off from being out in the 100 degree heat. It wasn't my fault our equipment had to stay cold
View Quote

My radar room was 55 degrees or colder.  Year around.  I would come out of my radar room in the Gulf wearing a foul weather jacket and my lips turning blue and run into some poor bastard who just came off of the flightdeck about to fall out from heat stroke.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Gay sailors?  Oh damn--what is this world coming to??  
View Quote
Women. Ive heard most gay men now go to the Air Force.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They operate 90+ aircraft 24/7/265.  Now image running an airport that moves, all day, all night.  And it can shoot it's own weapons, feed it's own people, and run it's own hospital and dental clinics...
View Quote
Lazy bastards!  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
if you have been on one in war time you would know
View Quote
Op tempo is crazy!

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I kept the 43B at 97% + up time.  I never deployed with the 43C, but I wasn't impressed by what I saw with it.  My 41 died constantly in the Gulf.  Man, I hated that thing.  We rigged ducts out of cardboard to blow the air directly onto the equipment in the domes, which helped, but then we got nailed for flammable materials in the domes.    Our big problem child (this was 96-97) was the 48C.  I spent most of that deployment helping the FCs keep that POS running.
View Quote
We finally got a new air conditioning system that helped a little for the 41.  I never saw 48C -- we had 48E even on my first CVN back in the late 90s.  43, my techs were miracle workers -- but it was a constant battle.  Same thing with the damn 41.  Didn't help getting bad parts from the supply system either.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Reactors were never guarded by Marines. Special weapons have been gone for a long time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MARDET's have been gone from carriers for a LONG fucking time.
Then who guards the nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons?
Reactors were never guarded by Marines. Special weapons have been gone for a long time.
Been a long time for me...Still must be on Sub  tenders tho I would think.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#12]
It's like a cruise ship, 24/7 service
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In my travels, I met the wife of a retired USN person responsible for the maintence of a the nuclear reactor about ship, and she describes very succinctly, "the USN is very anal about maintence, even way more so than private industry," which she explain why there are very few accidents involving the reactor aboard ships.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well....

If you took a regular ship, a combat ready ship, a medium sized airport, a nuclear power plant, a machine/welding/fab shop, a small municipal public utility, plus the contractors to work on/fix all of the above...  how many people do you think you would have?
Anal doesn't begin to cover it when it comes to nuke maintenance.

Then when you realize that almost all the civ nuke plants are run by former Navy nukes, you realize Rickover's legacy extends even far beyond DOD.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MARDET's have been gone from carriers for a LONG fucking time.
Then who guards the nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons?
Nope.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
if you have been on one in war time you would know
Op tempo is crazy!

http://www.navysite.de/cvn/cvn71patchwarcruise99.jpg
Operation Deliberate Force 1995.  CVN 71 with CVW 8.  Been there, bombed that.  

We referred to it as "Groundhog Station."
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Some of my friends were FCs (I was an ET.)  They all seemed to enjoy it.  Being a 41/43 tech could really suck when your equipment was being bitchy.  At least I wasn't a 42 or 46 tech!  Those poor bastards...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got to the Constellation soon after the Saratoga shot that Turkish ship with Sea Sparrow so it made people nervous.  I was an uncoded tech right out of A school and they asked me if I wanted to work in the Sea Sparrow shop or CIWS, I picked Sea Sparrow.  We rarely even had birds in the launcher unless we were going to do a missile shoot, so we didn't even have underway watches.  I spoke with a friend after I left and he said they only loaded both launchers shortly before they made it to the Gulf.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#17]
The ships crew is about 2500, the arising is about 2500 (in 6-9 squadrons), staffs, DESRON, SEAL teams add another 150 or so.

Ships crew runs the entire city.
Airport
Fire department
Engineering
Nuclear Reactor
Combat
Food Services
Laundry
Intel
Navigation
Communications
Medical
Dental
AIMD
Repairs, etc

Many positions are 24/7. So you have to carry onboard reliefs.

It's a huge integrated city.
Nothing else like it on the planet.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn Airport Wi-Fi.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We finally got a new air conditioning system that helped a little for the 41.  I never saw 48C -- we had 48E even on my first CVN back in the late 90s.  43, my techs were miracle workers -- but it was a constant battle.  Same thing with the damn 41.  Didn't help getting bad parts from the supply system either.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We got 48E in 98.  48C was ancient, even by Navy standards.    We had lots of problems with bad rotary couplers from supply with the 43B.  It hit the point where the contractor rebuilding them lost the contract and someone else got it.  Things got better after that.  With the 41, I was reduced to cracking the transmitters open (even though they were sealed and depot level repair) and cannibalizing bad ones to try and make a good one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I got to the Constellation soon after the Saratoga shot that Turkish ship with Sea Sparrow so it made people nervous.  I was an uncoded tech right out of A school and they asked me if I wanted to work in the Sea Sparrow shop or CIWS, I picked Sea Sparrow.  We rarely even had birds in the launcher unless we were going to do a missile shoot, so we didn't even have underway watches.  I spoke with a friend after I left and he said they only loaded both launchers shortly before they made it to the Gulf.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I remember right, didn't they put a pair of them into the bridge of that Turkish destroyer?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
They were long gone when I was on one in the 1990s.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#22]
have you ever stood next to one, they're massive
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We got 48E in 98.  48C was ancient, even by Navy standards.    We had lots of problems with bad rotary couplers from supply with the 43B.  It hit the point where the contractor rebuilding them lost the contract and someone else got it.  Things got better after that.  With the 41, I was reduced to cracking the transmitters open (even though they were sealed and depot level repair) and cannibalizing bad ones to try and make a good one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We did the exact same thing with those fucking transmitters for the 41.  My guys got very good at cannibalizing them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ive spent years of my life underway on them and even to this day still am impressed walking up to one. Really has to be seen to be believed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Imagine running an airport that moves, all day, all night.  And it can shoot it's own weapons, feed it's own people, and run it's own hospital and dental clinics...
View Quote
Brilliant answer...
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We did the exact same thing with those fucking transmitters for the 41.  My guys got very good at cannibalizing them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet.  I got really good at it myself.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ive spent years of my life underway on them and even to this day still am impressed walking up to one. Really has to be seen to be believed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went with my girlfriend to see the USS Yorktown CV10 in Charleston.  Which was pretty cool for me since my Dad was on USS Ticonderoga CVA14 in Vietnam.  I had never seen an Essex class before.  She was shocked at how big Yorktown was, I had to point out it was tiny compared to the Nimitz class.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#28]
How else do you expect to efficiently run a small, moving city?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Was just telling my daughter this, then I remembered the oil tanker we passed while at sea...
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#30]
It's a floating nuclear military base with it's own airport, mini Walmart, 24hr chow hall, and medical and dental clinic, etc.... 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:39:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Anal doesn't begin to cover it when it comes to nuke maintenance.

Then when you realize that almost all the civ nuke plants are run by former Navy nukes, you realize Rickover's legacy extends even far beyond DOD.
View Quote

Coworker is a sub nuke guy.  The things he said they did were amazing.  Rad con team.  2 weeks in Bremerton, WA with teams split and going back to Scotland to do the work.  Mountains of paperwork, 14-16 hour days at a minimum, and no one hurt, nothing contaminated, everything worked (or made to work).  Of course, you screw up, you go to Leavenworth he always said.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Running with a smaller crew was considered, until the "Missouri incident" occurred on a minimally staffed battleship on its farewell cruise.  A disgruntled former CIA hitman, the XO, and a gang of former military disguised themselves as a rock band and managed to take over the ship during the captain's birthday party. Their goal was to sell the tomahawks on the ship to a foreign power, but they were thwarted by a former SEAL who was brought on as a ship's cook in order to be able to finish his 20.  Although the assailants were stopped and ultimately killed, there were numerous fatalities (including the captain) so the idea of minimal crews was scrapped.
View Quote
LOL
AWESOME!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well, when you figure the women that get knocked up so they miss their deployment ....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought they  were carrying a lot less than that lately.
Well, when you figure the women that get knocked up so they miss their deployment ....
Airplanes, not crew

So this is from Wikipedia, for what that's worth.   Looks like a lot fewer than 90 planes now typically carried

United States 21st-century fleet carriers typically embark 45 McDonnell Douglas F/A-18 Hornet aircraft for traditional fighter, attack and ECM roles with twelve Sikorsky SH-60 Seahawk helicopters, four Northrop Grumman E-2 Hawkeye AEW aircraft and two Grumman C-2 Greyhound COD aircraft.[22]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Do the pilots have to share their jets with the other shifts pilots? Or do they have enough jets to fulfill all three shifts without sharing them?

If they do have to share, then what criteria is met to have the pilot from one shift get to put his name on the plane?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Do they buff the hallways in the Navy?
View Quote
No but we buff the pasageways
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Do the pilots have to share their jets with the other shifts pilots? Or do they have enough jets to fulfill all three shifts without sharing them?
If they do have to share, then what criteria is met to have the pilot from one shift get to put his name on the plane?
View Quote
The fuck, shifts? This is the NAVY, not the Air Force.  
Three shifts...

Pilots and NFO's "work" the flight schedule.
Maintenance and admin work  12 hour shifts.

There are more pilots than there are planes in Navy squadrons.
Pilot and NFO names on planes are selected by rank and then by seniority.

Some squadrons put names on both sides of the aircraft.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Nope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They operate 90+ aircraft 24/7/265.  Now image running an airport that moves, all day, all night.  And it can shoot it's own weapons, feed it's own people, and run it's own hospital and dental clinics...
plus some Marines sitting around ready to go fuck up someone's shit
Nope.
i beg to differ at least in some instances cause.....my son rode one......
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.
Unless he's an air winger, in which case that comment doesn't apply anyway, not in the last 30 years or so.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If I remember right, didn't they put a pair of them into the bridge of that Turkish destroyer?
View Quote
Yes, that's what happened.  

Sea Sparrow incident
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.
Which Carrier? When? What's his MOS?

Are you mistaking an amphib assault ship for a carrier? Or was it a specific mission where they temporarly had some Marines on a carrier?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Which Carrier? When? What's his MOS?

Are you mistaking an amphib assault ship for a carrier? Or was it a specific mission where they temporarly had some Marines on a carrier?
View Quote
Might have been a airwinger.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#42]
There's 5000 people to run that ship. It's an entire floating city and failure is not an option.

Respect to my Dad who served in the USN on the aircraft carrier, USS Yorktown CV-10
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#43]
What's the color of the boathouse at Hereford?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Unless he's an air winger, in which case that comment doesn't apply anyway, not in the last 30 years or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.
We had no marine security forces on the Carl Vinson CVN 70 when I was on her in 91-92 in Bremerton Wa. IIRC their berthing was being repurposed during the yard period. I can't remember what the spaces were going to be used for.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We had no marine security forces on the Carl Vinson CVN 70 when I was on her in 91-92 in Bremerton Wa. IIRC their berthing was being repurposed during the yard period. I can't remember what the spaces were going to be used for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.
The MAs took over those spaces.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:43:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.
Security. I was on Vinson from '98 to '04. Former MARDET spaces belong to the MAs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:51:11 PM EDT
[#47]
It takes a lot of people under the deck running really fast to turn the treadmill.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
I only somewhat agree with that. I was a Nuke EM, now I'm a commercial Nuke Engineer. For quite a while, the USN was so anal that maintenance was the cause of problems. When you take shit apart for no fucking reason, and put it back together, shit is going to break. That still happens, as it does in commercial, but at more intelligent intervals. But the overall design is the reason for the lack of accidents. The reactors and steam plants are much more robust and designed to be cycled much harder and faster than commercial plants. (IE Ferrari vs Chevy) There are fewer compromises on cost vs quality. Everything is designed to purpose rather than adopting commercial products. IE Ferrari vs Chevy. There is also a lot less to the plants. You need less stuff for processing liquid waste, gaseous waste, simpler steam plants, and a lot more design margin in everything.

There is a saying, Navy plants are designed by geniuses to be run by idiots. Commercial is designed by idiots to be run by geniuses.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Some of them staff the bowling alley.
View Quote
And some have to fix the pinball machines, etc.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some of them staff the bowling alley.
No pinball machines but in the 80s and 90s we had Donkey Kong, Asteroids and Galaga on the USS Wabash AOR-5.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top